Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanical Engineers Salary?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭JayMcD

Gurgle wrote: »
    Building inflatable dingys?
    This is mechanical engineering now?

No, you don't.

You've just confirmed everything i said, you have never worked as an engineer and you have no idea what the career involves.
    Understanding and applying maths and physics are 1000 times more relevant than machine skills.

Good luck in college, I honestly hope it goes well and you make a decent career out of it.

A dinghey is a lil boat you'd sail on,

A RIB is what keeps you alive far away from civilisation. big difference,

and how much maths, physics, do you gotta know to calculate an efficent hull design? the best computers out there STILL cant work it out.

I may not have the piece of paper, but I was doing the job, and proving the guys with the paper, wrong, over and over and over.
    I threatend to charge them if they didnt stop ringin me.
    what can I say,
    like Offy said LOL,
    "you either got it or you don't"
    or
    you bitch on boards bout the new young guy whos makin a fool outta ya

only another hour or two of pretending to do something before ya gotta go home to the ol wife,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

JayMcD wrote: »
    and how much maths, physics, do you gotta know to calculate an efficent hull design? the best computers out there STILL cant work it out.
    :D
    You do know that the computer doesn't design boats & planes and stuff by itself. Its a tool used by.... The engineer ;)
    I may not have the piece of paper, but I was doing the job
    No, you weren't.
    ]only another hour or two of pretending to do something before ya gotta go home to the ol wife,
    Who's pretending?
    They pay me because its 12 years since I graduated, not because I do anything useful. In fact, they much rather if I post on boards all day because then I'm not breaking anything.

I've got the pieces of paper from college AND a computer to do my job for me :) I sure am glad I went to college instead of wasting 5 years assembling rubber dingies.

lol tell that to the army engineers, one of the things I had to design was a machine gun mount, BUT!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

do you realise what you've just said? huh???
    and with allllllll your vast knowledge and experience, not just in life,

You managed to cry like a little girl, pull a hissy fit
    and then, and then lol
    admit and prove everything I've said.

wow....

I swear I wasn't even trying.. just bored,

such a great country
    wonderful people
    so anyone know where theres an open airport?

so anyone know where theres an open airport?
    http://www.galwayairport.com

My computer wants a break so I have to do some work now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

Not to be personal... But you honestly seem to not have a clue.

The guy making the things and the guy designing them are totally different!

What you are comparing is effectively a mechanic(if even) and an engineer.

Sure the mechanic is better at building the engine or car or whatever. But does he know the thermodynamics etc that go into the design? doubtful...

So you built dingey's, did you design them?

From what I can see you didn't. So essentially you are a mechanic of sorts. Still not an engineer...

I agree everything comes down to money though. But there are other specifications. There are laws, regulations public opinion etc to be counted. It is not as simple as cheaper material = better. Cheaper material might be harder to dispose, public might be against use resulting in potentially lower sales etc...

As for being paid for a job whilst on boards.ie meh, mate this is across every sector not just engineering!

• Advertisement

http://www.galwayairport.com

My computer wants a break so I have to do some work now :(

so you actually got a bit of a sense of humour there.

aww I knew ya had it in ya....

inspired to do something worthwhile.

But, its actually an underlying shame for this country,
    they wanna get the hell outta here,
    make some money, exceed at thier choosen skill/proffesion,
    taking the most valuable thing a socity has, its youth, its investment, its future.

moral of the story,

pay the good guys, not the (if they were so good and experienced, why they leave thier job??) guys the cash money.

great country, when your not living it!

muboop1 wrote: »
    Not to be personal... But you honestly seem to not have a clue.

The guy making the things and the guy designing them are totally different!

What you are comparing is effectively a mechanic(if even) and an engineer.

Sure the mechanic is better at building the engine or car or whatever. But does he know the thermodynamics etc that go into the design? doubtful...

So you built dingey's, did you design them?

From what I can see you didn't. So essentially you are a mechanic of sorts. Still not an engineer...

I agree everything comes down to money though. But there are other specifications. There are laws, regulations public opinion etc to be counted. It is not as simple as cheaper material = better. Cheaper material might be harder to dispose, public might be against use resulting in potentially lower sales etc...

As for being paid for a job whilst on boards.ie meh, mate this is across every sector not just engineering!

I dont know where to start with this, but I couldn't give a s**t anymore,
    bored of all of this, not gonna waste my time, if ye dont understand, thats your problem. keep doin what yer doin, it must be workin, just dont get notitions about yourself.
    I'm in it for the money
    as much as I'd love to off load responsiblity and just pick up my pay check every week,
    I simply just cant be a sheep.
    ye are, fair play to ye, BUT! dont try and pull other ppl down cuz they wont settle for yer ****,
    ye think yer great, yer in bullsh*t jobs, were ye gotta play on the internet to pass the time, and that says it all.
    If yer so proud of that, show yer bosses what he pays ye to do.
    just dont go shoutin yer great,
    cuz the ones who have to prove themselves, are the ones who are hidding their lack of everything, and got something to prove.

I'll send ye all invoices for the lessons,
    but I rather ye did something productive instead,
    when was the last time ye challenged yourself,
    the country will be gratefull and,
    we'd all be better off.

Catch me on the cover of Time Magizine baby,
    but I wont be saying 'm Irish,
    they might hold it against me...

I dont know where to start with this, but I couldn't give a s**t anymore,
    bored of all of this, not gonna waste my time, if ye dont understand, thats your problem. keep doin what yer doin, it must be workin, just dont get notitions about yourself.
    I'm in it for the money
    as much as I'd love to off load responsiblity and just pick up my pay check every week,
    I simply just cant be a sheep.
    ye are, fair play to ye, BUT! dont try and pull other ppl down cuz they wont settle for yer ****,
    ye think yer great, yer in bullsh*t jobs, were ye gotta play on the internet to pass the time, and that says it all.
    If yer so proud of that, show yer bosses what he pays ye to do.
    just dont go shoutin yer great,
    cuz the ones who have to prove themselves, are the ones who are hidding their lack of everything, and got something to prove.

I'll send ye all invoices for the lessons,
    but I rather ye did something productive instead,
    when was the last time ye challenged yourself,
    the country will be gratefull and,
    we'd all be better off.

Catch me on the cover of Time Magizine baby,
    but I wont be saying 'm Irish,
    they might hold it against me...

Such an ignorant arrogant stand! If you don't care then stop posting! Simple as!

Show my boss what I do? considering I finished my exams a matter of days ago and have not started employment I'm sure they wont mind one bit!

Also... If you are making dingey's... you aren't going to be on the cover of Time magazine... you wont be on the cover of the Irish Times! but feel free to keep trying! The country could do with people like that! (successful people not deluded...)

As for notions of myself. What are you referring to? sounds more like a throw away statement of someone with an inferiority complex who is trying to compensate it heavily judging by the rest of your post... could be wrong.

Also where did I attempt to pull you down? or anybody else? I simple stated that they were two separate careers with overlap but they are NOT the same job. Which anybody in the field would/should know...

Look, your language, knowledge and attitude present on this thread are appalling. They show someone who feels he is begrudged or has an issue with engineers in general without any actual knowledge of what the job is. You specified you are proficient at making things within excellent tolerances. Well done... But like, that isn't engineering! Neither is building dingy's for the army(within reason , there would be cross over etc possibly) I'd class you as a mechanic or something similar. Nothing wrong with that. It's neither a better or a worse job... So, why the attitude?

Do you think its a worse job? Or do YOU think we think its a worse job? If its the first do something about it. If its the second get over it. If its neither, what the hell are you arguing about?

Wah Wah Wah Wah Wah its about me e me me me

I'm requesting a mod to shut this **** down...

Your a ********

god help this country!!

and the ghost that is manufacturing here....
    start changing carrers boys,
    or pack yer bags....

Your a ********

god help this country!!

or pack yer bags....

Thank you for you intelligent debate/comments ;) . Best of luck

• Advertisement

muboop1 wrote: »

On that subject - today I'm being paid for running several hours worth of automated compliance and reliability tests on a product thats approaching release.

Not posting on boards wouldn't change today's productivity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Your a ********

god help this country!!

or pack yer bags....

Yeah best of luck starting your engineering degree.

BTW you don't have 5 years engineering experience, so I wouldn't worry too much about the pay expectations of someone who does, plus you'll graduate (if ever!) at the earliest in what 2014?

Know what's going to really annoy you?

I earn more than now than you will earn if/when you graduate, am younger, am highly skilled in an excellent company at the top of its industry and am damn good at my job - which I like.

See ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Without the old engineers/experienced engineers/20+ years experience we would all be re-inventing the wheel.

This is actually one of the best reasons for having experienced people. Very, very few designs are completely original, and most have to conform to technical standards, existing equipment etc. Having someone who has done similar work before means that the boring compliance stuff can be done quicker (i.e., no wheel-reinvention), leaving more time for the interesting creative bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

ArseBurger wrote: »
    I'll wager that in 20 or 30 years from now you wouldn't dare utter that first sentence.

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Stacks Mad

I earn more than now than you will earn if/when you graduate, am younger, am highly skilled in an excellent company at the top of its industry and am damn good at my job - which I like.

See ye.[/QUOTE]

Careful lad mocking is catching look at the builders where are they now !!
    Poland is coming up fast it terms of knowledge with them fast out performing us in every sector.
    So don't be so sure of your job as I personally know of excellent experienced engineers with 5+ out of work .
    IE look at the news today 780 jobs gone in the medical/pharmaceutical sector which I work in and our American owners are getting itchy feet too.

Why not?

I'd guess he's implying you will be outdated or something by then? (Just for record, I do not agree with this statement at all... just a guess at his intentions)

Stacks Mad wrote: »

See ye.

Careful lad mocking is catching look at the builders where are they now !!
    Poland is coming up fast it terms of knowledge with them fast out performing us in every sector.
    So don't be so sure of your job as I personally know of excellent experienced engineers with 5+ out of work .
    IE look at the news today 780 jobs gone in the medical/pharmaceutical sector which I work in and our American owners are getting itchy feet too.[/QUOTE]

In fairness, it was totally expected! If you spend 68 million on buying a company like they did there would be significant overlap. Downsizing to remove this overlap and becoming more cost efficient is natural.

Not necessarily fair but expected I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

On that subject - today I'm being paid for running several hours worth of automated compliance and reliability tests on a product thats approaching release.

Hmmm I got lost in the thread, I came looking because of the pay, then it all seemed to take a strange turn. Well for what my own opinion is worth experience counts for a hell of a lot, I would say coming from someone that started out in an apprenticeship, that for new engineers, a fitter or a mechanics or whomever you may come across, will have invaluable experience and the same for older Engineers I am sure. You just can't write it off, otherwise no-ones experience would be worth anything.
    Just because someone has taken a different path and both have ended up in a similar place does nothing to denigrate the experience or qualifications of another. Or even if they are simply in a different place motivationally speaking.
    Having worked in a few large organisations, to me it seems that there is very little that is done that does not call on the differing experience,skills or training of different people and different depts. No doubt there are people that sit back and let others do the work but I think its all about experience, which to me is continued learning.
    I don't mean anything personal Jay but, working with people is a skill that is very essential, it seems there are very few Einsteins, RJ Mitchells and kelly Johnson's these days or they are well hidden in organisations and possibly aren't currently recognised. Anyway a lot of things that are done are simply small steps, continued development of existing ideas, every now and again a leap is made and it may be down to one person or a team.
    You will always need to work with people that are worse and be able to acknowledge when people have better or even simply different experience or no-one/possibly very few will work with you.
    Anyway, I myself came looking for information about Engineers pay, it will be a few years before I can consider that as I'm just starting out as a mature student in Engineering, I find my experience helps a lot there, but there is always plenty to learn. my current thoughts are how I can combine what I know, with what I am learning and then how I can apply that, that's the toughie.

Hence why I quoted Gurgle, where would I find out more about automation compliance and testing, or even applying mathematics practically to real world problems?? bit off topic, well way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Hi guys,

I will close this thread not due the request of the op but due to the fact that it has deteriorated and moved off topic and beyond the point of cleanup.

If anyone has a problem with individual posts please free free to use the "report post" icon indicated by what looks like a traffic sign in the bottom left of posts to bring it to the moderators attention.

Please feel free to start a new thread on mech eng salaries if you would like.

Thanks and regards,

Woden

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement