Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars on Blu-Ray

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭rednik

Star Wars blu ray will be released on Sept 26th. The best price I have found is €83.99 on sendit. This price is for the full saga edition which includes all six movies. Three bonus discs of over 30 hours of extensive extras.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,840 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'd only buy so I could set fire to Episodes I - III!

:pac:

basquille wrote: »
    I'd only buy so I could set fire to Episodes I - III!

:pac:

I guess this will be the one for you and most others.

7FD6A67DF8F64C6E861177337CC1B025-0000336305-0002114478-00489L-813A3576DC67423E99530422EA9DB1E2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

damn shame we have to wait until september.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Meh, they'd want to look spectacular and have a mountain of special features, as good as the Empire of Dreams doc on the dvd set is there was kinda of a lack of other stuff considering the infinite amount of stuff available about the movies. Wonder will the "original trilogy" actually be the original trilogy, or the bastardised 97 rereleases with the "wheeeey look what we can do now!" cgi sequences that have actually aged the movie more than the puppets did.

I want Greedo shooting first, Vader demanding "Bring my shuttle" not politely requesting that someone "prepare my ship for my arrival" , Sebastian Shaw as the older Anakin and I want Yub Nub back as the ROTJ ending song sequence goodamit :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Pre-ordered mine last week.
    Now here's hoping the fuller lenght version of Lord of the Rings comes sometimes.
    (Yes, I know its supposed to be possibly years before that happens.) :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

At least they are making both trilogies available separately.

I'll be surprised if Lucas doesn't take this opportunity to tinker with them a little more. He did the same for the DVD release. A lot of the CGI added to the SEs will look really bad in HD.

At least they are making both trilogies available separately.

I'll be surprised if Lucas doesn't take this opportunity to tinker with them a little more. He did the same for the DVD release. A lot of the CGI added to the SEs will look really bad in HD.

The Sarlacc, shudder , it looked way better and creepier when it was just a gaping mouth in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

krudler wrote: »
    Meh, they'd want to look spectacular and have a mountain of special features, as good as the Empire of Dreams doc on the dvd set is there was kinda of a lack of other stuff considering the infinite amount of stuff available about the movies. Wonder will the "original trilogy" actually be the original trilogy, or the bastardised 97 rereleases with the "wheeeey look what we can do now!" cgi sequences that have actually aged the movie more than the puppets did.

I want Greedo shooting first, Vader demanding "Bring my shuttle" not politely requesting that someone "prepare my ship for my arrival" , Sebastian Shaw as the older Anakin and I want Yub Nub back as the ROTJ ending song sequence goodamit :pac:

And see-through snowspeeder cockpits. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if Phantom Menace has the CGI Yoda used in the Empire documentary. It would actually be an improvement over that puppet.

Sigh. The original 2003 Indiana Jones DVD set had a great making of documentary which was left off the 2008 release. Lucasfilm is always so reluctant with the content they give out.

Ridley wrote: »
    And see-through snowspeeder cockpits. ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if Phantom Menace has the CGI Yoda used in the Empire documentary. It would actually be an improvement over that puppet.

Sigh. The original 2003 Indiana Jones DVD set had a great making of documentary which was left off the 2008 release. Lucasfilm is always so reluctant with the content they give out.

what? one of the best reasons to buy that set, love Spielberg giving out to one of the snakes in the Well of Souls set "you're supposed to be afraid of fire not like fire, you're runining my movie!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Deisler

The Lucas ca$hcow rolls on...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Deisler wrote: »
    The Lucas ca$hcow rolls on...

At least until the 3D versions of the movies hit both the cinema and blueray 3D :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Looking forward to these, will probably get the whole set.

I actually really liked Ep III , dunno what people have against it,
    I and II weren't great but III sowed them all nicely together..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

the_monkey wrote: »
    Looking forward to these, will probably get the whole set.

I actually really liked Ep III , dunno what people have against it,
    I and II weren't great but III sowed them all nicely together..
    I'm kinda in the same camp. I can only assume that its just blind hate after the first 2. Well, that and Hayden Christiansen.

I know that this is a long shot, but I'm hoping for the original cuts of the old trilogy (like the 2006 release), just so we won't hear Star Wars "fans" constantly b*tch about the newer versions, 24/7...but if they don't, lets hope they change some of the already altered scenes (just like the original DVD release), like actually letting Han shoot first. Besides:

39347923.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I liked Episodes II and III but didn't really like Episode I but it's one of those you kind of have to have to complete the set. There are some good parts in it though, such as the fight with Darth Maul.

Anyway what I was thinking was, they will have to do something with the CG in Episodes I - III as the last time I watched Episode III the CG looked very obvious to the point where it stood out too much. I think the bit I'm thinking of is when they're on those hover platforms in the end battle, the background looked awful. I'm just thinking it will look worse on Blu-Ray.

Although then again, how good could the transfer be as I don't think it would have been originally shot in HD.

I liked Episodes II and III but didn't really like Episode I but it's one of those you kind of have to have to complete the set. There are some good parts in it though, such as the fight with Darth Maul.

Anyway what I was thinking was, they will have to do something with the CG in Episodes I - III as the last time I watched Episode III the CG looked very obvious to the point where it stood out too much. I think the bit I'm thinking of is when they're on those hover platforms in the end battle, the background looked awful. I'm just thinking it will look worse on Blu-Ray.

Although then again, how good could the transfer be as I don't think it would have been originally shot in HD.

Comes down to the company given the task of doing the transfer to HD. Not being filmed in HD makes no difference once it is filmed in 35mm or better,

Venom wrote: »
    At least until the 3D versions of the movies hit both the cinema and blueray 3D :)

Jar Jar in 3D :eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

what? one of the best reasons to buy that set, love Spielberg giving out to one of the snakes in the Well of Souls set "you're supposed to be afraid of fire not like fire, you're runining my movie!"

Yep. Apart from the Interactive Menus, the extras are different across the two sets. I suspect it's because The Complete Making of Indiana Jones book was released around the same time as the second set but I don't see how both couldn't have coexisted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

They would have been shot at a much higher resolution than HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I would imagine it would be the same here

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/20/star-wars-blu-ray-discs-to-arrive-september-27th-according-to-am/
    Star Wars Blu-ray discs to arrive September 27th according to Amazon

By Richard Lawler posted Jan 20th 2011 3:48PM

Even a flashy CES announce event wasn't enough for Fox and George Lucas to reveal an exact release date for the arrival of Star Wars on Blu-ray, but now Amazon has updated its preorder ship dates to September 27th. We wouldn't schedule a day off of work to dive into the promised 30 hours of special features until there's some sort of official word, but since it is a Tuesday it seems a logical time to expect these discs (in full Complete Saga form or either trilogy set by itself, you choice) to touch down. Relive the somewhat underwhelming Darth Vader entrance and the much more inspiring Blu-ray boxed set trailer after the break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

I think George Lucas pioneers new media to watch movies on just so he can sell more copies of the same movies!!! The fanboys are salivating at the thoughts of Dart Vader in Blu Ray.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I like the movies (the first trilogy, anyways) but the over-saturation of them by Lucas is unreal which unfairly puts many people off and label them as nerd films.

He can put his LucasFilm gang to good work and make sure that this is a top-notch transfer.

Sagat06 wrote: »
    I think George Lucas pioneers new media to watch movies on just so he can sell more copies of the same movies!!! The fanboys are salivating at the thoughts of Dart Vader in Blu Ray.

how is Lucas "pioneering" a new media? bluray has been around for nearly 5 years now, hes just releasing them on the most current format, same as dvd,laserdisc and vhs was at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

They should offer a discount for the people who already bought the trilogy on vhs, then the re-released edition on vhs, then on DVD and now blu-ray as well. If this fcuker brings out a 3-d blu ray edition in 2012 I am going to shoot him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Morlar wrote: »
    They should offer a discount for the people who already bought the trilogy on vhs, then the re-released edition on vhs, then on DVD and now blu-ray as well. If this fcuker brings out a 3-d blu ray edition in 2012 I am going to shoot him.
    Ah, come on. VHS and DVD were completely different formats. Should Lucas also offer discounts for anyone who saw the films in the cinema? You knew what you were getting when you bought the trilogy in those formats. If you don't want it in high-definition Blu-ray you don't have to buy it. And if it comes out in 3D Blu-ray and you automatically buy it again, then you should probably consider shooting yourself, not Lucas.

At one point Lucas didn't even want to release Star Wars on DVD because he wanted to wait for the next generation format (i.e. Blu-ray) to arrive. But the fans kicked up an unholy stink and he relented.

Ah, come on.

And I will shoot first.

thats like complaining a band released an album on lp then cd then mp3 format, its a changing media. if you dont want to buy them, dont, simple as. i'm not overly pushed about them as the dvds look fine, depends on if theres a bucketload of extras worth buying on them, that i might get them for

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I bet Ep I-III are the same films but IV-VI have more modifications. After re-doing them in 97 and again in 2004 (?) for the DVD release, I've no doubt there'll be a 2011 version. With more "funny" CGI characters singing into the screen :mad:

Maybe Ewan will be in ROTJ. Why is it that Hayden is in Ep VI? Surely Anakin went face before he died. And Hayden never wore that outfit, dammit!

haydenjedi2.jpg

Oh you'll buy 'em. You'll buy 'em and like 'em! I'll buy it, just not until they're on sale :)

thats like complaining a band released an album on lp then cd then mp3 format, its a changing media. if you dont want to buy them, dont, simple as. i'm not overly pushed about them as the dvds look fine, depends on if theres a bucketload of extras worth buying on them, that i might get them for

Do you think each format trilogy release needs to be full price though ? I think it would it be a gesture to the fans to release them at not quite brand new 'top whack' prices for a change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Yep. You've already made your fair contribution to the actual production costs. Lets face it, the actors, writers, crew members etc have all been paid a long time ago.

So with re-releases, the only actual costs are the transfer costs and the box/disc. This is very small compared to the original production costs.

So if you've already bought the DVD (and hence already paid your contribution to the production costs) then it should only cost a couple of euros to upgrade to Bluray. All you should be paying for is the man hours and equipment required to make the new transfer, plus profit.

And actually you can already do that in the US with Warner movies. DVD2Blu, most movies cost around $5 (€3.70) to swap your DVD for the Bluray copy. Great idea.

Advertisement