Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Laptop: The current Generation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

He called a Mod a 'git' in an argument over Badminton, of all things

• Registered Users Posts: 8,761 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Is that modding crack still going on? I thought it had been toned down as it had become ridiculous.

Just to clarify: he (if I followed the feedback thread correctly) insulted a mod and received a limited ban, but was unhappy with the decision and deleted his account.

While I agree that he was valued and knowledgeable poster, I don't think it's unreasonable for a mod to issue a ban upon being insulted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Mods in the Sport Category is off Topic on this Thread . there are better places for it

i for one just get a headache looking at reddit lol anyway thats off topic

anyway there are now new amd cpus launched , intel gpus and lots more coming so plenty to actually discuss here on here re generations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭robwen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,607 ✭✭✭creedp

The laptop is needed to run Revit 2023 software which I understand is a type of auto cad software. Ive done some online research and based on previously provided spec I'm looking at an I5 processor with 16gb Ram but am unclear what graphics card to go with. Would an integrated Intel XE Graphics card with shared memory suffice or should I pay more for a dedicated GeForce RTX card (or with dedicated 2 or 4 GB of video memory.

Must admit defeat on trying to assess the graphics card requirements. Its like I fell asleep for a decade and technology has simply passed me by!!

Any and all advice greatly appreciated

😆 Thought the same myself, new tax book job😉😉

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wendybyrde

this is very helpful and informative content thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭padjocollins

Had a run in with Glasso myself about a year ago , i was pushing m1 macbook pro’s on all people even if for half the price you could still get laptops that offer plenty of performance for limited budgets. He could have pointed it out in a different way than i perceived it and i could have had thicker skin. later on as i saw the good and detailed advice that he was giving people week after week , i saw that he was giving great help and advice. I have noticed boards is a lot quiter over the last year or so and i’m using it a bit less. Still a great resource .

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mw309

Can anyone recommend a good laptop for using photoshop and illustrator for design work?

• Advertisement

your probably going to be wanting a grapics card inside. what sort of budget and what type of screen size and quality would you like , and will you be carrying it about a lot ? / that should give people something to go on

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mw309

Need something with 16gb ram. Have a budget of 1k - 1500. Not carrying it much no so weight isn't an issue. 15.6" screen is fine. Quality of image on screen would want to be alright. Have the option of hooking up to a monitor too.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Just using currys as a guide as the prices seem to be more upto date than others

Just looking re a decent card and 16gb of ram - with 12th gen i7 with 144hz screen

if you want to go back a generation you can get a 3070 in that budget

it all depends on personal choice aswell some are more obviously gamerish looking than business if your wanting a more business look

on most 8gb devices you can upgrade to 16gb dual channel memory by installing it after purchase

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭herrdood

the one with windows 10 says it has wifi 6 and the one with windows 11 says it has wifi 5 only

the windows 10 one should be easily upgradeable to windows 11

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wendybyrde

for which purpose do you need a laptop

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Just want to provide a little clarification on this. Glasso closed his account voluntarily after admin upheld my decision to ban him from Racquet Sports. He wasn't banned for calling me a name, he was banned for years of unacceptable behaviour on the tennis threads finally catching up with him. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions, but I don't think relentless fat jibes aimed at women contribute very much to the forum. Or anywhere really. Off the top of my head, I received about 35 or so reports from other posters about him in a 6 month period this year, and even some PM's questioning why he was still allowed post on the forum.

As I'm relatively new to modding I'd always try to be careful not to abuse mod powers. I gave glasso many opportunities to change his ways, warnings both on the thread and in private. When it was patently obvious that my warnings were being ignored I eventually made the decision to ban him. Again, he had an opportunity to reach out to and discuss the matter via PM, but instead he sends me a message calling me a "miserable lonely git". I mean...

I appreciate he was a very helpful poster on here, he's obviously incredibly knowledgeable about computers. However, trying to present what happened as a mod issue is far from the truth, as is pretty much everything he posted on the Feedback thread.

Speaking of the departed Glasso, does anyone have any experience with Acer returns?

A family member purchased a Swift 3 on my advice, and has since had nothing but problems with it, so we filled out the online form, and received the following email

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxx,

The case for the product : Nxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is approved.

Acer case id for the same is :2xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Problem :

[outline of problem]

Shipping Instructions:

Please be advised that as per the Terms and Conditions of the Warranty, we will not be responsible for any loss of data or software. If needed we may do some changes with respect to hardware/software and if so we will erase all data on the system along with the applications installed.

Please do not use the original box to pack your product, as all the incoming boxes are recycled. We will ship the product back to you in a plain brown box, therefore please sufficiently package your product (we suggest at least 10cm of bubble-wrap around the whole of the product including any accessories and then place in a strong sturdy box ensuring there is no movement inside the box as any transit damage due to insufficient packaging is your responsibility.

All repairs are subject to parts availability and we will endeavour to repair your product within 10 working days from receipt.

If the fault with your Acer Product is found to be a manufacturing defect, we will repair the unit for free of charge.

If your Acer product has been identified as having physical damage, Liquid Spills or software issues will these not be covered under warranty and a quotation for repair will be sent to you.

If you decide not to go ahead with the Quotation and want your machine returned un-repaired there will be an Admin charge of to pay of £ 49.95.

Please be advised that your unit will have a 90 day service warranty on last parts replaced.

Please note, details provided are for collection and delivery purpose.

Password is included for testing purposes.

With Regards,

Acer Support.

That's it - there is no shipping address listed in the email, and no pre-paid shipping docket in the attachment.

The sending address listed on the invoice is:

CPYou B.V.

Europalaan 89

5232BC 's-Hertogenbosch

Netherlands

-I should send it to this address, or there is some other way of proceeding? If anyone has returned a laptop in similar circumstances, do please let me know.

This is a Technology forum and not exactly the place to the Politics of Racket Sports.

If anybody would like to help out any of the Posters on the topic of laptops then feel free

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Personally would go with the Windows 10 option.

Bought an MSI Crosshair 15 a few weeks ago. For CAD, 3D and Photogrammetry.

First experience with Windows 11, its bloody awful. Makes windows 8 look good.

More RAM and SSD ordered this morning, will be going back to Windows 10 soon as arrive and fitted.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Advertisement

I'm having a good bit of hassle with my Honor magicbook since stupidly updating to W11 particularly the latest 22H2 feature update, battery life has gone to pot and last night wouldn't start at all, I had to hard reset it, it started after that but boot time is taking ages. I'm going to do a factory restore on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rusdeol77

Looking at two laptops at the moment, trying to decide on one. Very little difference between them, so hoping someone can help make the decision. They're both the same Acer laptop (it's a student buying from the Acer site, and has a discount code, that's why it's an Acer she's looking at). The first one has an i5-1135g7 processor with 8gb ram, which will come in at approx 595. The other one has a Ryzen 5-5500u with 16gb ram and will be about 636.

I have never had a laptop myself that didn't have an Intel, so I'm not sure what to advise here. She'll be using it for college (which is just basic MS Office, Teams, etc), as well as browsing, Netflix, etc. She also draws with a Wacom tablet, although the requirements listed are very minimal. She plays the Sims occasionally and maybe Minecraft from time to time, but no heavy gaming. Will the Ryzen be on par with the i5, and is it worth getting this one to have the 16gb ram? Or would she be better off going with the i5 and looking at the ram later if it turns out to be an issue?

the ryzen will be a better overall . the amd are usuallty better for battery length , which is likely important

the extra storage and the processor is a bit better and better battery life so id go for the Amd one

I'd second this. I've the Ryzen processor and it's great, never gets hot and battery life is 7 hours+ from a full charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 rusdeol77

That's great, thanks very much for the recommendations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Laptop for 11 year old that thinks they are 30!

starting to do school projects and starting secondary school next year.

always asking to use my laptop but I use mine for AutoCAD and work so don’t really want him messing around on it.

‘any reason not to buy this one or something slightly cheaper. €300 budget give or take.

https://www.currys.ie/products/asus-vivobook-15-x515ja-15.6-laptop-intel-core-i3-256-gb-ssd-silver-10242866.html

something like that is good . wait a few weeks you might get something a bit better in the black friday sales

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Would you believe I picked uk the exact laptop in Argus today. Last one in stock for €269!

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1172140.htm

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

The father has asked me to pick up a laptop for him. He uses a desktop at the moment, but it's only for writing the odd email, occasionally booking holidays etc online or loading up photographs from his phone on and saving a copy of them.

I don't know what to get him, budget about 1000eur, but if I don't need to spend that, great. I'm looking for something that won't chug and grind and smoke when you try do everyday tasks, smooth running, decent storage for his photographs, and a large screen would suit his eyesight better. For some reason I'm turning up my nose at 8GB laptops and eyeing up 16GB, no real reason, RAM snobbery??

Any suggestions welcome.

PS, do computers still come with office, or do I need to sign up to a subscription thing for it??

• Advertisement

only office trial you can download office replacement softwares libreoffice/openoffice

wait a bit black friday deals on amazon start on friday which will lead to other sales also

you will get something nice for that money 12th gen i5 or simular at least with a good screen etc

Advertisement