Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Laptop: The current Generation

Options

Comments

would really avoid due to the dire cpu

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+x5-E8000+%40+1.04GHz&id=2740

don't go below the celeron n4100

(n4200 is actually older and weaker btw)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+N4100+%40+1.10GHz&id=3270

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭tom23

glasso wrote: »
    would really avoid due to the dire cpu

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Atom+x5-E8000+%40+1.04GHz&id=2740

don't go below the celeron n4100

(n4200 is actually older and weaker btw)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Celeron+N4100+%40+1.10GHz&id=3270

Cheers Glasso! Just looking for a cheapo laptop for the kids, was going to go with a Chromebook but expensive buggers for what they offer. Was looking at an Asus L403N with a n N4200 processor on Donedeal. Ex demo Model, Full HD. Decent price within budget. Small and compact. I might take a look at that.

n4200 is doable just about but don't pay too much for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭tom23

n4200 is doable just about but don't pay too much for it

Cheers I’ll give it a miss and go back to the drawing board. Was going for 170.

When will the ryzen 5 4000 series laptops be available for purchase?

• Advertisement

When will the ryzen 5 4000 series laptops be available for purchase?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.digitaltrends.com/computing/all-amd-ryzen-4000-laptops/%3famp

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Uvex

Hi,

I like many before have looked at all recent suggestions but just became overwhelmed with the selection so said I would just ask myself!

Budget - €550 (Can stretchhh to €600....Possibly €650 if its from somewhere that takes All4One vouchers)

Uses:
    Internet (Google Chrome - 15+ Tabs Open)
    Movies Streaming
    Very Light Gaming - At most a football manager or RTS type game
    Light Graphic Designing and video editing - Only starting out in this so don't need anything major with regards colours and stuff - Just as long as it can run applications like Adobe smoothly.

Main thing is I just want a computer that runs smoothly and doesn't freeze up everytime I jump from one tab to another.

Was looking at this but its my first time really trying to understand what makes a laptop good so could be way off.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-14-cf1599-14-laptop-intel-core-i5-256-gb-ssd-silver-10192179-pdt.html

Size isnt huge issue but prefer 14/15 inch. Weight not a big burden on me either.

Thanks !!

this is a better bet

https://www.box.co.uk/products/keywords/magicbook/ex/true

much superior and durable/long-lasting all-metal chassis build quality
    will run games better due to much better amd integrated graphics
    quad-core amd cpu will run all your other stuff fine and due to good thermal design runs at max in the unit
    dual-channel ram for better graphics / cpu performance
    ips screen is better wrt contrast and viewing angles
    battery life is better
    keyboard probably better

use parcel motel, addresspal etc - reliable uk site, many have bought from there no issue

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Uvex

this is a better bet

https://www.box.co.uk/products/keywords/magicbook/ex/true

much superior and durable/long-lasting all-metal chassis build quality
    will run games better due to much better amd integrated graphics
    quad-core amd cpu will run all your other stuff fine and due to good thermal design runs at max in the unit
    dual-channel ram for better graphics / cpu performance
    ips screen is better wrt contrast and viewing angles
    battery life is better
    keyboard probably better

use parcel motel, addresspal etc - reliable uk site, many have bought from there no issue

Cheers Glasso.

Have seen you recommend this and looks very good.
    There is nothing you have seen over here that is available and slightly cheaper? No worries if not.... It's just because I am receiving this as a gift so trying not to push the both out to much price wise. So just looking for a back up in case this is shot down lol.

Uvex wrote: »
    Cheers Glasso.

Have seen you recommend this and looks very good.
    There is nothing you have seen over here that is available and slightly cheaper? No worries if not.... It's just because I am receiving this as a gift so trying not to push the both out to much price wise. So just looking for a back up in case this is shot down lol.

nothing comes close really.

it's 900 euro + to get anything slightly better and it's a lot better than the one you linked and ( can't come up with anything else decent in the price range.

over the years it will pay back any difference handsomely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 leahyie

Hi, I need to update my laptop as its about 8 years old and starting to give out on me. I generally just use it for light photo and video editing, light gaming eg Sims 4, football Manager etc and just the usual MS Office, Netflix etc. I can spend up to about €800.

I saw this on the PC World website 'LENOVO IdeaPad S340 14" AMD Ryzen 7 Laptop - 512 GB SSD, Grey' (It won't let me post the link) and wanted to get some advice on it.

I dont change laptops every year so I preferably need something which will last me a few years, which I know could be a big ask on my budget.

Thanks in advance.

leahyie wrote: »
    Hi, I need to update my laptop as its about 8 years old and starting to give out on me. I generally just use it for light photo and video editing, light gaming eg Sims 4, football Manager etc and just the usual MS Office, Netflix etc. I can spend up to about €800.

I saw this on the PC World website 'LENOVO IdeaPad S340 14" AMD Ryzen 7 Laptop - 512 GB SSD, Grey' (It won't let me post the link) and wanted to get some advice on it.

I dont change laptops every year so I preferably need something which will last me a few years, which I know could be a big ask on my budget.

Thanks in advance.

heavily recommended but the magicbook 14 will do all those for you.

now 4k video editing would take a long time but full hd would be fine.

or if you want a more powerful cpu (new amd 4 series) , metal build, 16gb ram you can go for the lenovo 5 14. I've configured it here with the ideal cpu, ram , metal build, good colour-accurate screen etc. left the storage at 256gb

this will handle 4k video editing and has a more powerful built-in graphics unit for games (altho the magic book would handle those games)

as you're planning on long-term I would say that you are looking for something more like this

edit. changed wifi card to wifi 6 for €10 more

https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/p/81YMCTO1WWENIE1/customize?guid=58ffc1d9-b9f0-4b4a-a5d3-873f809ac3bf&options_11=

heavily recommended but the magicbook 14 will do all those for you.

now 4k video editing would take a long time but full hd would be fine.

or if you want a more powerful cpu (new amd 4 series) , metal build, 16gb ram you can go for the lenovo 5 14. I've configured it here with the ideal cpu, ram , metal build, good colour-accurate screen etc. left the storage at 256gb

this will handle 4k video editing and has a more powerful built-in graphics unit for games (altho the magic book would handle those games)

as you're planning on long-term I would say that you are looking for something more like this

edit. changed wifi card to wifi 6 for €10 more

Thanks so much for your help glasso. If the magicbook would do everything I need I would probably lean towards that as it would work out a lot cheaper. However as I would be looking to keep it for the next 5+ years I would probably be better off spending the money now rather than having to upgrade sooner than that especially as I can see myself having to edit more and more 4k videos. I suppose this is my long way of asking if amd 4 series cpu is worth the jump in price? Thanks again.

leahyie wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your help glasso. If the magicbook would do everything I need I would probably lean towards that as it would work out a lot cheaper. However as I would be looking to keep it for the next 5+ years I would probably be better off spending the money now rather than having to upgrade sooner than that especially as I can see myself having to edit more and more 4k videos. I suppose this is my long way of asking if amd 4 series cpu is worth the jump in price? Thanks again.

yes for your uses and with a long-term focus go with the 4700u cpu and 16gb ram

the one that I linked has a better screen (the 2.4mm screen has high sRGB accuracy for video work) and better metal build (careful the cheaper version of the 5 14 is not metal ) than the s340.

yes for your uses and with a long-term focus go with the 4700u cpu and 16gb ram

the one that I linked has a better screen (the 2.4mm screen has high sRGB accuracy for video work) and better metal build (careful the cheaper version of the 5 14 is not metal ) than the s340.

Thats brilliant glasso. Ill go ahead and order that one so. Thanks so much for all your help.

by the way I asked a youtube reviewer and apparently there is a free m.2 slot inside so you can add a m.2 ssd stick later yourself.

the increased storage options on the Lenovo page are not amazing value

by the way I asked a youtube reviewer and apparently there is a free m.2 slot inside so you can add a m.2 ssd stick later yourself.

the increased storage options on the Lenovo page are not amazing value

I think 256gb should be plenty for me. I generally use external hard drives and cloud storage. I have 1tb HDD on my current laptop and I have not come close to the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

My teenage son is looking to explore music production.

He is looking for a laptop minimum 8GB Ram, I5, SSD (larger the better).

From my limited reading I believe a PC might be a better option however he will always need a laptop so he can explore with this and if he gets really into it can go the PC route in the future.

Any suggestions? Would the Magic Book suit?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭eddiem74

eddiem74 wrote: »
    My teenage son is looking to explore music production.

He is looking for a laptop minimum 8GB Ram, I5, SSD (larger the better).

From my limited reading I believe a PC might be a better option however he will always need a laptop so he can explore with this and if he gets really into it can go the PC route in the future.

Any suggestions? Would the Magic Book suit?

I also see this deal on Amazon today:

Huawei MateBook D 14 2020 - 14 Inch Laptop with FullView 1080P FHD Ultrabook PC (AMD Ryzen 5 3500U, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, Windows 10 Home, Multi-Screen Collaboration), Amazon Exclusive, Space Grey https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085YM9K63/ref=cm_sw_r_wa_apa_i_lDX5EbBM2BFFV

the magicbook 14 and the matebook 14 are the same laptop basically - same manufacturer.

the quad-core 3500u in that laptop can run to the best of it's capability in that machine

enough for music production software with 8gb ram

you could look at the lenovo 5 14 to get a newer amd cpu (4500u +) but unless you are willing to spend extra on the metal chassis (€700+) version it won't be as well-built as the matebook. see the lenovo thread in bargain alerts to find out about how to get discounts etc (sign up for newsletter for code etc)

the 3500u is not going to hold him back unless he gets very serious about it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

the magicbook 14 and the matebook 14 are the same laptop basically - same manufacturer.

the quad-core 3500u in that laptop can run to the best of it's capability in that machine

enough for music production software with 8gb ram

you could look at the lenovo 5 14 to get a newer amd cpu (4500u +) but unless you are willing to spend extra on the metal chassis (€700+) version it won't be as well-built as the matebook. see the lenovo thread in bargain alerts to find out about how to get discounts etc (sign up for newsletter for code etc)

the 3500u is not going to hold him back unless he gets very serious about it.

Hi,

I'm pretty sure if you get the fancy screen and palm rest you get the metal chassis on the Lenovo. I hope so as that is what I've ordered. I went with the 4300 processor and 8GB of RAM.

I think it is because the power is via USB-C which is only on the metal versions as far as I know.

yes afaik if you have selected the 2.4mm thickness screen and the metal palm rest then the chassis should be all-metal

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

yes afaik if you have selected the 2.4mm thickness screen and the metal palm rest then the chassis should be all-metal

I guess I'll find out if/when it arrives!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

After reading this thread and doing my own research, I ordered the 4700U 16G Ram version with the metal palmrest and I think the palmrest metal option is the only thing needed to confirm a metal chassis.
    Thanks to all on this thread who give their opinions and advice; it's a wonderful resource to start from (but maybe it's just because I'm Irish and this is where I start every purchase research) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Don't know if this is an amazing deal but something to consider for those of you looking for a laptop for about 600 quid if you use code SUNNY at checkout

https://www.box.co.uk/M509DA-BQ321T-ASUS-M509DA-BQ321T_2886177.html

You might have an opinion on it glasso for those considering it but to me it looks pretty decent although it's not 4th gen and just saw it's only 4 cores

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

For a €500 budget this mightn't be bad either

https://www.box.co.uk/82C50075UK-Lenovo-V15_2860909.html

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

My laptop is falling apart. I need something fast, with good storage as I download a lot. Big enough screen too. I’m no good with specs, any suggestions?

Budget around 900. Old laptop is windows so looking for the same.

My laptop is falling apart. I need something fast, with good storage as I download a lot. Big enough screen too. I’m no good with specs, any suggestions?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055171416

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Dontfadeaway

• Advertisement

15.6 inch ips screen (ips offers better viewing angles and contrast)
    metal body (more durable and solid and not tacky plastic fantastic)
    touchscreen

decent quad-core cpu (more cores the better)
    ssd (fast hard drive tech)
    8gb ram (plenty for running windows)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353119029029

use addresspal,parcel motel etc

don't worry about refurbished in title. warranty from currys/ pc world

for your extra storage I've verifed that it will take a 2.5inch drive
    so e.g.add this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-Factor/dp/B01LXRWWB6/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=2.5+inch+2tb&qid=1593727335&sr=8-1

just use a philips screwdriver and pop it in.

laptops these days come with ssds (which you want for loading windows as they are fast) and you will not find one on sale with big storage HDD drives so need to buy one on amazon. but this model has the space to take it so all good

Advertisement