Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Laptop: The current Generation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Phantasos

Looking to buy an Acer Swift 3 (i5 version). Thoughts?

Anyone know where the best place is to pick one up? I don't think Amazon deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Placed an order on Laptops Direct on Monday, confirmed the order over the phone with them Tuesday morning. When I check the order status it just says that it will be dispatched shortly. Is this normal for them or should I send a message and find out if there's something wrong?

Alright lads, looking at this http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6516701

Was considering these:
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/lenovo-ideapad-100-intel-core-i5-5200u-8gb-1tb-dvdrw-15.6-inch-laptop-80qq00n7uk/version.asp (2 generation old CPU)
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/hp-250-g5-core-i5-6200u-8gb-256gb-ssd-dvd-rw-15.6-inch-windows-10-laptop-x0q78es/version.asp (older CPU but has SSD).

I'm tending towards the one in Argos with the newest CPU. Anyone know if it's easy enough to stick an SSD in instead of the DVD?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I wouldn't worry too much about CPU as there's very little difference between them, though the 256GB SSD in the HP is a major bonus at that price point and I'd go for that one personally. But yes, it's easy to get a caddy to replace the optical drive. Shouldn't be more than about a tenner delivered from Ebay.

However, make sure it even has an optical drive. Most laptops don't anymore.

Also worth investigating battery life between the different models.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭KathleenF

Hi all.

Looking for a laptop to replace my 8yo Toshiba. Budget 450ish with room to go up to 500 for a really good one.

Ideally I need one that has/is...

Portable - under 2kg
    8GB RAM
    DVD/CD drive (not absolutely essential)
    Card reader
    2+ USB ports
    500GB+ memory
    Decent CPU

It'll be mostly used for word processing/storage/internet/some photo editing but I want one that will last at least a few years.

This seems decent - any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated...

http://www.currys.ie/Mobile/Product/hp-pavilion-15aw084sa-156-laptop-modern-gold/341092/401.0.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Currently looking to buy a decent gaming laptop with a budget of around €1200. I've found quite a few in that price range but I'm having trouble deciding if I should go for 970m or pay up more for a GTX 1060/1070. 1050 is out as 970m is better than 1050 according to benchmarks.

Any ideas? Mains uses for the laptop is Cities Skylines, BF4, BF1, Space Engineers and GTAV along with Revit and Autocad for college and work. Have decided to get 16gb ram regardless of what GPU I get. Same goes for CPU as they don't differ much when it comes to laptops. Correct me if I'm wrong on that part?

Dell recently had their new gaming inspiron with i7-7700, SSD/HDD, and GTX1050Ti 4GB for 1,100 delivered - great deal.

Worth a check what current prices/promotions are. The GTX1060 would be a big step up but also in price. The GTX1050ti would be 970M performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Hi,

Anyt recommendations on a Laptop for my sister?

Budget €300-400
    Using it for browsing, netflix, excel and word.

Was looking at the Lenova G50-80, would this be a decent one for the price or can you recommend something better for around the same price?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-80E502VQUK-Processor-Resolution-Bluetooth/dp/B01N7VVXTS/ref=sr_1_18?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1497259749&sr=1-18

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Trond wrote: »
    Lapbook being delivered tomorrow via DHL. Amazed at the delivery time tbh. Only 8 days since I ordered :eek:

How are you finding it?

Mine never turned up, ended up in a PayPal claim etc. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 bassface93

https://www.hpshop.ie/hp-pavilion-x360-13-u163sa-prod.html

Any opinions on the above laptop? Seems like reasonable specs for the price (i5 8gb ram 128gb ssd full hd touch etc.) I'd be open to any other recommendations people have if there are any other similarly priced laptops people have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭chases0102

Hi everyone,

Be mighty if someone could offer a bit of advice.

Looking to buy a laptop that can multi task with ease. As a teacher, I can have 6 programmes running at once - what would be the most important aspect of the laptop specification to do this, RAM, SSD, i3/i5?

Will also be using it for Netlfix, lots of browsing as doing a night course, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

commited wrote: »
    Ended up ordering a Chuwi Lapbook 14.1. Voyo Vbook V3 looked good too but decided to take a punt on the Lapbook for now and see how I got on.

Any verdict on the laptop? Any idea who best to buy from? How does customs work out etc?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Any thoughts on this? http://www.dell.com/en-ie/shop/laptops/inspiron-15-5000/spd/inspiron-15-5570-laptop

The model retailing for €878.99 - i7-8550U 16GB RAM, 4GB Graphics memory, 1TB HDD with 128GB SSD.

Would be using this for general stuff along with programming/electronic design/LabView etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Im looking to purchase a new laptop

Intended use: General use/gaming

SSD only, no hybrid SSD/HDD laptops, I want an SSD because it offers more protection for my data, not just for faster speeds, preferably 1TB plus

Windows operating system only

Any suggestions?

Demonique wrote: »
    Im looking to purchase a new laptop

Intended use: General use/gaming

SSD only, no hybrid SSD/HDD laptops, I want an SSD because it offers more protection for my data, not just for faster speeds, preferably 1TB plus

Windows operating system only

Any suggestions?

What's the budget? If you want a gaming laptop with a 1TB SSD you'd want to be spending the guts of about 1.5k realistically.

That would get you an i7, 16GB DDR4, 1TB SSD + something like a GTX1050Ti graphics card, good for most of the latest games at 1080p medium or so at 60fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

How does this look

http://ao.com/product/x540laxx980t-asus-laptop-silver-52606-251.aspx

Looking for something around the €300 for basic enough tasks. I would like to avoid the Celerons if possible and would prefer a 13 or 14 inch.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

Hi All,

Looking for a good laptop to run autocad with a good display. Budget is around €1500 to €2000. Hope to have it for a long time. Any recommendations?
    Ideal if wasn't too bulky either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Hi All,

Looking for a good laptop to run autocad with a good display. Budget is around €1500 to €2000. Hope to have it for a long time. Any recommendations?
    Ideal if wasn't too bulky either.

Go to PC PART PICKER, great place to get a start on a new build.

I started there before I got and built my own pc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

lewis wrote: »

He's looking for a laptop. Not a PC...

jamo2oo9 wrote: »

He's looking for a laptop. Not a PC...

I know, that's why I said pc, for the money he's willing to spend, you'd get a lot more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭themacdaddy

I know, that's why I said pc, for the money he's willing to spend, you'd get a lot more.

Thanks Lewis, I should have specified it needs to be a laptop as it is needed for lectures and eventually travelling to clients

Thanks Lewis, I should have specified it needs to be a laptop as it is needed for lectures and eventually travelling to clients

Well then, that clears that up, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

is this Lenovo Yoga a good price for general student use...?
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/computing...8gb-128gb.html

I know I don't specifically need the convertible tablet aspect, but there's 349€ off it and the specs seem good! Are they though?

I don't need a huge amount of storage. Might be running Rhino or photoshop. Just want it to be fast and user friendly.

Any helpful opinions would be great
    (Sorry i posted a duplicate thread on this few mins ago but don't know how to delete)

Looking to buy a laptop for someone who is going to use it for Browsing the web, playing music from HDD.

Their budget is €600 or a little more for the right laptop.

Need,

i-5
    500GB-1TB HDD
    DVD player

Can you let me know if this looks good or is there something online that is similiar price but you get something better?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-Ideapad-i5-7200U-Processor-Windows/dp/B072Q22THY/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1515500038&sr=1-4&refinements=p_36%3A45000-75000%2Cp_n_feature_fifteen_browse-bin%3A8322530031%2Cp_n_feature_browse-bin%3A1481781031%2Cp_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A213558031

Thanks
    BobbyT28

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

I'm no expert but having recently shopped around for similar, I think that Lenovo looks good for your needs.
    Also, Dell Outlet selling refurbished laptops have 15% discount code running until January 14th at the moment. Prices are shown in £ and don't include VAT, but there are laptops there with similar specs coming in 500-600€.

And maybe do a little reading on Solid State Drives Vs Hard Drives too see if that stuff matters much to you. Good luck

I'm no expert but having recently shopped around for similar, I think that Lenovo looks good for your needs.
    Also, Dell Outlet selling refurbished laptops have 15% discount code running until January 14th at the moment. Prices are shown in £ and don't include VAT, but there are laptops there with similar specs coming in 500-600€.

And maybe do a little reading on Solid State Drives Vs Hard Drives too see if that stuff matters much to you. Good luck

Would you have a link to a similar spec'd Lenova ?

Might head to curry's to have a look at the return in person

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Would you have a link to a similar spec'd Lenova ?

Might head to curry's to have a look at the return in person

Was looking at this

HP 15-bs104na 15.6-inch Laptop (Natural Silver) - (Intel i5-8250U, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Intel UHD Graphics 620, Windows 10 Home) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077Y6VP62/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_MmgxAbTZ0P7N2

Could have your opinions on it, looks like it would fill fill everything I'm looking for. New gen processor, storage, SSD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Now that I have gotten my allowance, I have been deciding what 2-in-1 to get. Currently, I'm split between the HP Spectre x360 13" and the Lenovo Yoga 920, both of which include a stylus, which will be great for note-taking while I'll be studying at home, as long as there is good palm rejection and low latency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Now that I have gotten my allowance, I have been deciding what 2-in-1 to get. Currently, I'm split between the HP Spectre x360 13" and the Lenovo Yoga 920, both of which include a stylus, which will be great for note-taking while I'll be studying at home, as long as there is good palm rejection and low latency.

Do not get the Lenovo.. Awful customer care. Have a new laptop and still under warranty but not working. The customer care is shocking and 3 days in I'm still no further to getting an answer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

SAMTALK wrote: »
    Do not get the Lenovo.. Awful customer care. Have a new laptop and still under warranty but not working. The customer care is shocking and 3 days in I'm still no further to getting an answer

What is quality control like in your opinion?

Advertisement