Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do people fly their planes?

Options
  • 19-04-2010 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I usually fly my plane in a large park near me in Malahide Co Dublin but I either get disapproving looks from some (ie I shouldn't be flying my plane near people even though as a motorised glider it's fairly quiet and flys high enough not to be bothering anyone) or else I get guys interested in planes coming over and asking dozens of questions which I find a bit distracting so usually land the plane to talk to them. What I'd like is somewhere I can fly in peace with no one around. Is there such a place in Dublin or Kildare?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

there's a club that fly just south of the Sugar Loaf off the N11 in Wicklow if thats any use.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭syl77

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭privateBeavis

there's a club that fly just south of the Sugar Loaf off the N11 in Wicklow if thats any use.

Probably the Shankill Radio Flying Club: http://www.srfc.net

I was flying there yesterday :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

.... What I'd like is somewhere I can fly in peace with no one around. Is there such a place in Dublin or Kildare?

Have you considered flying over private property instead of over public lands where people go to walk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

It's "private property" for a reason and I don't want to trespass on anyones land. I was wondering if there was commonage around where I could fly in peace and not bother anyone.

Btw I fly in a remote part of Malahide away from most walkers. It's usually those with dogs who cross under my flightpaths. Now don't get me started on them not picking up their dogs sh1tt!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

There is a good crowd flying on the Curragh at the weekends. Behind the racecourse.

There is a good crowd flying on the Curragh at the weekends. Behind the racecourse.

Never thought of the Curragh and it's only 6 miles from my house. Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,486 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

What about north stand/bull Island?

Then you can practice buzzing the kiters :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

Could anyone here please recommend a site where they fly their RC planes on an individual basis on the North side of Dublin. The aircraft I have is a Parkzone Super Cub which has spent most of its life in the attic. Its had two outings only to date, one per year approx.

I was thinking of either Malahide Castle Demense, or the Sutton end of Dollymount Strand. We've tried the Pheonix Park before, but we seemed to be in the way of the regular guys up there, took the hint and abandoned it. Steamengine junior is anxious to see more flying hours, as he gave it to me as a present. I can fly it reasonably ok in non windy conditions !!! Any advice would be appreciated.

I've flown my Radian Glider in the grounds of Malahide Castle but on retrospection, I might have needed permission to do so. I've also flown in the Phoenix Park but early in the mornings as some zealous Park Rangers insist on you being a member of that snobby club that appear to own the Park near the Papal Cross (I won't get started on what I think about that particular rc flying club but you might guess;)).

Try Dollymount but I'd be concerned about strong winds blowing your Cub around the place and possibly into the sea. I've also got a Cub and while she's a great little plane, her engine is lacking in power and she doesn't take too well to the wind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

There used to be a great crowd in the Phoenix Park near the US Ambassador's residence. Just after Christmas was a great time to take the metal detector out and scavenge for spare parts from crashed chrissie pressies! ;-)

exaisle wrote: »
    There used to be a great crowd in the Phoenix Park near the US Ambassador's residence. Just after Christmas was a great time to take the metal detector out and scavenge for spare parts from crashed chrissie pressies! ;-)

Thats the reason why I've decided to delay maidening my new Me109 as I don't want some over zealous newbie flyer going all kamikaze on my new plane, or me for that matter. I know we all had to learn but taking to the skies without having a knowledgeable pilot beside you either on a buddy box or to at least to give you tips is plain silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Thats the reason why I've decided to delay maidening my new Me109 as I don't want some over zealous newbie flyer going all kamikaze on my new plane, or me for that matter. I know we all had to learn but taking to the skies without having a knowledgeable pilot beside you either on a buddy box or to at least to give you tips is plain silly.

It sure is, but i did it 22 or 23 years ago, and i think you might well have too except for flat battery. So we have to accept others might also.

How is the Me109 going, did you fly it much yet?

The Me109 is probably the best looking Parkzone model I've seen to date. Beautifully made and well put together. However flying her is a whole new ballgame. She is a big step up in the "flying ability" stakes and you have to be hands on all the time or you'll soon be in trouble. Don't get me wrong though as she's a beautiful plane to fly but she can get into trouble very quickly if you lose concentration even for a moment. I left the wheels off her as she is very hard to take off from the ground and has a tendency to nose over at the slightest opportunity. Hand launching is little better though as she torque rolls to the left and you have to get your fingers to the aileron control very quickly after launch or she'll go in. The best way to launch her is "underarm" where you grasp her on top just behind the cockpit and launch her upwards at about 20 degrees on 75% throttle. This appears to work quite well. The "javelin throw" typr launch doesn't work so well and I've had a few near misses, i.e. the prop was almost mowing the grass.

With regard to learning to fly, yes I would have flown my Rad by myself first time and I would have soon gotten into trouble and no doubt crashed her. I remember that even having you there on a buddy box, I was still getting into trouble flying her for the first time and you had to take over to stop her crashing. While I wasn't terrible at flying, rc planes are not as easy as they look and one bad crash can quickly put someone off a great past time.

I had 2 lads here yesterday flying 2 radians for the first time, some job landing them in them winds.

All them warbird low wing type planes require flying concentration the whole time, they wont self level etc but will stay more or less as they are if you let go the sticks, and you have to constantly give inputs compared to the radian for example. And are easier to lose orientation especially in dull light. But great flying out of them.

I`ve a p51 mustang about 10 years and i only fly it the odd time now, its a nitro one, and seems like a rocket when we have it out with flying gliders mostly now.

I know only too well about attempting to fly the first time, i had a hi-boy i put together, about 3 attempts, 3 crashes, then went and got the assistance. Its even easier now to fall into the temptation of trying it youself with planes coming ready to fly more or less, and battery powered so its easy to get it ready for flying with no assistance these days. But still no easier to actually fly.

I have to take my Rad out for a fly sometime soon as I've been into the Trojan and 109 a lot lately and while the aerobatics are fun, it is not exactly relaxing as you are concentrating so much on flying.

Can't believe you had some newbies(?) flying in those winds yesterday with a Radian. The Rad really gets blown around in the wind and if you don't keep her nose on, she'll soon run away from you. I say landing was fun though. If you do it right, you can almost land her "harrier" style in strong winds.

Yes it was too wandy for new gliders really. Hard to trum properly and landings were very tricky because it was very gusty. I took out the cularis as well, that did not have too much trouble, its a great yoke though even in good winds.

They were beginners alright, but it was mostly to let them see their new radians flying, needs calm weather to trim them properly though and let them have a proper go. We use 2200mah batteries in sons radian, and the video one, it makes them a bit heavier, and i think its a better flight with the heavier battery, a slight bit more nose heavy which i think is better as well.

How do you make the 2200mah batts fit in the Rad as they are a lot bigger than the stock 1300mah batt? Did you have to scoop out some foam? Did they change the cog much?

I never considered using a bigger batt in my Rad as I only use the motor for the initial climb and then use the wind/thermals to keep her up. I almost got an hour out of one 1300mah batt last September but had to bring her down when the kids started moaning that they were bored:rolleyes:

How do you make the 2200mah batts fit in the Rad as they are a lot bigger than the stock 1300mah batt? Did you have to scoop out some foam? Did they change the cog much?

I never considered using a bigger batt in my Rad as I only use the motor for the initial climb and then use the wind/thermals to keep her up. I almost got an hour out of one 1300mah batt last September but had to bring her down when the kids started moaning that they were bored:rolleyes:

No the 2200 battery fits straight in, its mainly just a little longer, its marginally tighter but they loosen after a few uses, the centre of gravity moves slightly forward but very little, i prefer planes slightly more nose heavy than the recommended usually. The radian is better in the wind with the heavier battery. The 2200 battery (190 grams)is 80 grammes heavier than the 1300 one(110 grams). The flying weight is about 980 grams with the 1300 one so an 8% increase in weight with the 2200 one, but a 70 percent increase in battery capacity.

We started using the bigger battery when powering the video stuff as well and the glider with all the extra stuff on it needs the bigger battery. But we then started using the 2200mah battery in sons radian, its better with it, particulary when a little windy. It goes into the wind a little better as its slightly faster with the CG slightly more forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭MonkeyDoo

I flew in a park in balbriggan near the tennis courts. Was great shaded from wind and was doing circuits around the park with ease for a few days.

I got cocky tho....and brought the plane down by the fields by balbriggan beach...I had great craic hovering the plane against he wind coming in from the sea....however the plane kept going higher and higher....then it turned in the direction of the wind and I tried to bring her down...the plane went so fast the rudder was forced straight and didnt turn...any way the plane ended on on the main railway line between belfast and dublin....

I could hear the plane when I reved up the remote as it was trapped on the line...the train came along.....and I heard the engine reving no more....it was fun while it lasted 90euro well spent ;-)

The rudder probably would not of been held straight believe it or not, when the plane was flyin with the wind there would be very little strain on the rudder, the plane was just too light and not enough power for the wind most likely. When we fly the gradian gliders and turn with the wind, they take a fair while to respond to the rudder input, at first they seem to not be responding at times.

The wind is a difficult beast to tame. What may seem to be a calm day at the surface could have a strong wind just a couple of hundred feet up. I flew my Rad last summer on a "windless" evening with the midges hovering in the air. However, when she got up high where she was almost a speck, I turned her and she got caught by a wind and she took off like a greyhound. Took a while to get her back against the wind.

I bought a new Micro T28 Trojan to fly on those calm days in my back garden when I don't have the opportunity to get away from babysitting duties. She is extremely light but a real hoot to fly. She'll do loops and barrel rolls but will also fly as slow as walking pace and will land ever so gently.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭migemo

Any of you guys flying on the curragh today? Wouldn't mind a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

A friend and I are considering to get involved in the hobby: it definitely looks like fun.
    As an outsider who read this thread I saw some negative comments or allusions to the club in the phoenix park? I have been tempted to join it simply for convenience as I live 5 minutes from it. What is in your opinion "not recomendable" about that club?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RICHIE.39

Hi guys just looked in to see what this forum was about and got into this thread. anyway although not local i have spent time in the army camp in gormonston and know that some people fly model aircraft in the camp with approved permission on Sundays. don't know if its a private club or soldiers or what but couldn't do any harm to call in some day and ask. especially handy with the old runway there id assume ;-)

I've been trying to join a club for a while myself as flying alone gets a bit boring after a while. Plus it would be nice just to have some plane related banter and hopefully learn a few things.

I went to the club in the Phoenix Park a couple of years ago when I was thinking about starting in this hobby. They were flying advanced aerobatic or "3D" planes. However they didn't want to talk . Now I assumed they were just concentrating on flying their planes (which I now understand fully) but I hung around until they were packing up and they still weren't very communicative. I went back about a year ago when I'd been flying for about 10 months myself but they were still very stand offish, even though I actually knew what I was talking about:rolleyes:.

So I looked into a club near where I live but they appear to either be dormant or defunct. I went looking for the club that flies on the Curragh but couldn't find them.

So if you are still thinking about starting out in this hobby, I would recommend that you join a club, if you can find one (try MACI.ie). Flying is not as easy as it looks but getting the right plane to learn on is the key to success. A lot of people might want to buy a world war 2 fighter plane (commonly known as "warbirds") as they look great but they are very tricky to fly and I guarantee that you'll soon crash and destroy it. A Radian glider or a Supercub are probably the best planes to learn on. Get an experienced flyer to "buddy" you on teh first few flights. This is like learning in a dual controlled car. He connects his transmitter to yours and while you have control, at the release of a switch, he can assume control and get you out of trouble. The best way to learn, full stop.

I've been flying two years now and have 12 planes. I've now moved onto building my own which gives greater satisfaction than buying one ready to fly out of the box. This hobby can become quite addictive, consuming and expensive:D

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

Thanks for the info Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭mafiaboy

just seen this tread and was wondering is it illegal to fly rc (in my case a dji phantom) planes any where you wont, iv only got my drone a week and have flown it on the curragh planes but stopped because it was darkish and it has lights on it, and was thinking if some one in a car started looking up as they where driving and crashed (not this it would be my fault but i would have a hand init) anyways i see there is a place on the back of the race course is used for rc planes is it ok if i went over a did my thing or do i have to join a club ???
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVajJPg5-5c

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

mafiaboy wrote: »
    just seen this tread and was wondering is it illegal to fly rc (in my case a dji phantom) planes any where you wont, iv only got my drone a week and have flown it on the curragh planes but stopped because it was darkish and it has lights on it, and was thinking if some one in a car started looking up as they where driving and crashed (not this it would be my fault but i would have a hand init) anyways i see there is a place on the back of the race course is used for rc planes is it ok if i went over a did my thing or do i have to join a club ???
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVajJPg5-5c

Yes there is club in the Curragh
    The Curragh is actually not public land and therefore is controlled very tightly on all activities like motor cross , offroaders quads,horses,model planes model cars you name it there is control on all these activities.
    I have flown models at the Curragh club nice bunch of guys but they don't invent the rules they get told the rules by the Curragh park rangers and they stay within the rules .

On weekends the Curragh Rangers can often be seen dealing with guerrilla sports users who bring their 4 wheeler or quads , motor cross whatever to the Curragh not knowing the region is controlled land

My memory is the rules go something like this only members with MACE insurance can fly or invited MACE members with the MACE 5 million euro insurance can fly there .No flying before 2 pm Saturday and Sunday as the horses use the place and those multi million dollar nags spook easily.
    The club flys most everything from planes helis trainers glow and electric to larger 100cc petrol powered planes .
    To become a member you must be resident to the Naas region so I was not able to join the club but never had problems to fly there as I was MACE member (but that was a few years back rules might be different now as the depression has reduced the amount of flyers in many clubs )

Some parts of Ireland have big controls like the Curragh owned by the Army and policed by park rangers and other parts like the bog of Allen have very little control

Generally freelance modelers will try to avoid places where the public will go to others sports like walking horse riding quads or too close to busy roads
    or worse too close to cities or large radio antennas where radio interference can send the models berserk. Many Irish freelance flyers live in sticksville know some local farmer and fly from there or know some bog where nobody lives .

The modern 2.4ghz RC gear has reduced the risk of the RC interference but its not perfect and some types of micro wave links that large wifi users use can interfere with the radio.
    Also the downlink vidio with or without pilot views even they work on different frequencies like 5ghz can send the 2.4ghz equipment berserk when the noise ratio gets too big .

Anyway there used to be web site for the Curragh site with tel numbers
    Nice bunch of lads so if your interested to join the club lots to learn there from modelers who have many years experience in all the best ways to fly safely .Alternatively Sundays they are nearly always there after 1pm if the weather is good

The MACE site has other clubs nearer to Dublin that you can look at

For practical purposes if you haven't got a car and live in Dublin its easier to join clubs as they have sorted out the issues and you get to hang out with the the lads .

Most all land around the Dublin region is owned by somebody and nearly always require permission to fly there .

Alternatively the model shops such as the one in town in Capel street or the other one in Crumlin greenhobbymodel.com know all the Dublin clubs and can advise on that and sell you spares and fuel.

Its better with places like the Curragh to get to know the rules and stay inside them as the multi billion dollar horse industry in that region is the big power in that sector and can push the big buttons to get model plane activity stopped if like the Quads and scramblers it makes a big nuisance to their lucrative industry.

Thats the nature if life the horses were in the Curragh for the last few hundred years so they got to have the run of the place and everything else has to work around the €5,000,000 nags

Derry

Advertisement