Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ads on the internet

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

PeakOutput wrote: »
    billions

i personally know people making ten of thousands per month threw internet advertising alone(affiliate marketing) and i guarantee you that the companies they are advertsising are making many times that amount

sure a 1% click threw rate sounds low and uneconomical but two things

A) you dont pay for people to see your ad thats free you only pay when someone clicks your ad
    b)there are hundreds of millions of people on the internet every day 1% of that is a huge amount of clicks
    Of course there are billions in the advertising and marketing part. That was my very point.

I'm talking about how much money is actually generated through selling the actual products or services in the click ads? I suspect its nowhere near billions as a cost benefit thing compared to the advertising revenue spent. Company X may be making billions, but how much of that is generated by these ads?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Wibbs wrote: »
    Of course there are billions in the advertising and marketing part. That was my very point.

I'm talking about how much money is actually generated through selling the actual products or services in the click ads? I suspect its nowhere near billions as a cost benefit thing compared to the advertising revenue spent. Company X may be making billions, but how much of that is generated by these ads?

im only refering to online advertising

the people im talking about who are making this much money monthly only use this type of advertising

they advertise other peoples products for them on the internet and take a percentage of any sale made(usually). seen as they are making percentages its safe to say the company paying them this percentage is making large multiples of this amount themselves

there are thousands and thousands of companies who only exist on the internet and only advertise on the web that make millions a year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I agree there are, but ads such as the ones we're discussing I still strongly suspect are a lot less to do with it.

I would compare it to the recent economic crash. If I had come on here 4 years ago and said its all a dangerous bubble and the international billions zipping around were more pie in the sky than not, I would have been taken to task. I know. I did and I was. Similar notions too like, well there are people making billions/millions so it must be true etc.

I still think the same of a lot of google led internet advertising. Like the economic bubble(and web 1.0) was a game of musical chairs. Ten people were told there were 15 chairs so you're grand. The music stopped and there were only 3 with a lot of people left standing, but even then were convinced they could see 15 chairs.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Never click on any of them, they just annoy me..

Absolutely hate those "Evony" ads! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Wibbs wrote: »
    I still think the same of a lot of google led internet advertising. Like the economic bubble(and web 1.0) was a game of musical chairs. Ten people were told there were 15 chairs so you're grand. The music stopped and there were only 3 with a lot of people left standing, but even then were convinced they could see 15 chairs.

i dont understand that example but whatever

you could be right about it being a bubble but the reason i disagree is

for google(or any of the other engines) to make money people have to click the ads(there is a different option but its up to the advertiser which he chooses) i have created ads that have been by more than 1million people but google only gets paid when one of those one million clicks the ad. when they click the ad they go to my page and its my job to persuade them form their to pay me money for something

the success of google is because people tell them every second what they are interested in(by searching for it) and then their algorithms allow highly targetted marketing which is what advertising companies try to achieve all the time no matter what the medium.

i believe this type of revenue making is sustainable weather its google that does it or not dosnt really matter but the amount of information that is on the net about people is an advertisers wet dream and if they cant find a way to make it sustainable they deserve to fail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭nehpets10

Never
    I click on ads. The ones the are relevant to my searches and stuff, not the ones that say "YOU WON A PRIZE".

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Google ads don't bother me, don't really notice them any more, easy to ignore as they are pointless anyway.

The Flash ads are far more annoying. Flashblock is far better than Adblock or NoScript in that respect.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement