Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs required to have Muzzles

Options
  • 16-04-2010 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi all
    looking for some advice. One of our neighbours walk their dogs on a regular basis. They have two dogs, one is a boxer and the other I cannot identify. The problem I have is that when you pass them the boxer growls aggressively and will atemp to jump towards you in an aggressive way. The ower has the dogs on a lead but I really think they should be wearing muzzles. I would like to get this sorted amicably as it has happened to us 2 or 3 times recently as we pass. Any advice please
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Unless its a restricted breed it is not required to wear a muzzle by law.

If your dog or yourself has been attacked by this dog then report it to the dog warden.

But if the dog is only growling and jumping when you pass then that does not warrant anything really. Dogs are dogs and not all are dog friendly but if its on a lead then i dont see the problem really as its under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

sonichic wrote: »
    boxer growls aggressively ...
    ....The ower has the dogs on a lead

In the case of a boxer that's all the owner is legally required to do ... keep them on a lead.

How about approaching your neighbour in a nice way (best when not with the dogs) and explain to him that his growling boxer makes you nervous / uncomfortable and could he please try and avoid you when he's with the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

Boxers arent on the restricted breeds list so dont need to be muzzled.

Best thing to do is just cross the road when they're coming so they dont give you a fright!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sonichic

ok thanks all, he really is agressive and when I say jump I should have been more clear. The dog growls and snaps and tries to bite your sleeve. I'm not convinced you would get away undamaged if he managed to escapr from his owner.

it's a tricky one with this particular neighbour :eek:
    but thanks for your help,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

As everyone has said, by law he's not on the restricted breed list, so doesn't have to be muzzled because of that. However, I would suggest that, if you can't talk to the neighbour, that you call the dog warden and explain your concerns and how the dog makes you feel. A dog can still be made to wear a muzzle if its considerd to be a 'dangerous dog', even if its not a restricted breed.

Best of luck, I am a dog owner and love dogs, but don't think that people should be made fearful in that way.

• Advertisement

I love dogs too, I have always had dog in my house. i know dogs can appear aggressive when they actually aren't, it's tricky. that's why i came here to see what other people thought.
    I thought there was a restriction on the boxer, which are a lovely breed but i know are so loyal and protective to their owners.
    i'm comfortable now with the info i got here so thanks all

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

ISDW wrote: »
    As everyone has said, by law he's not on the restricted breed list, so doesn't have to be muzzled because of that. However, I would suggest that, if you can't talk to the neighbour, that you call the dog warden and explain your concerns and how the dog makes you feel. A dog can still be made to wear a muzzle if its considerd to be a 'dangerous dog', even if its not a restricted breed.

Best of luck, I am a dog owner and love dogs, but don't think that people should be made fearful in that way.

I can second this about talking to the dog warden. My little doggie was attacked a few weeks back by a dog breed that's not listed on the restricted breed list and the dog warden told me he could advise the owner to muzzle the dog as he had proved dog aggressive, therefore, would need extra control for their sake and other animals/people's sake. He told the owner his concerns as the dog had attacked other dogs previously in the area. Unfortunately, I haven't seen that dog for ages and I feel terrible that the owner may have had him rehomed or put down but I have to reconcile it with the fact that their dog tried earnestly to kill my dog.

So after that rant, yes contact the warden, they don't even have to tell the owner someone made a complaint.

ok, thanks for that. I tyhink i'll give them a call. I'm sure we're not the first the dog has "gone for". A respnsible owner would muzzle the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

did you talk to the owner about it. what are they saying?

we had a GSD who constantly tried to grab your hand or sleeve. If you gav ehim your sleeve he would trot along happily beside you holding it. He was just trying to play trying to grab your hand but it could be scary to anyone who did not know.
    Before anyone starts criticising he came to us like that and it took a while to sort it out and divert him to another "toy".
    He did not growl though!

Maybe you could just say to the owner that the dog is beginning to scare you?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We saw a wee dog in Town muzzled last week; clearly the owners know it can bite?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

Graces7 wrote: »
    We saw a wee dog in Town muzzled last week; clearly the owners know it can bite?

Just Because A Dog Is Wearing A Muzzle Does Not Mean That He/She Will Bite Or Be Agreesive. For Example The Breeds That Listed On The 'Restricted Dogs List' Are Required By Law To Wear A Muzzle & Be Leashed.I Have 3 Staffies & 1 Pitbull They Have To Wear A Muzzle Because Of There Breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Peter Banks

Unfortunately, the Breed Specific Legislation does make it a legal requirement to muzzle certain dogs, even though they may never have shown ANY tendencies toward biting or any other aggressive behaviour.

Typically it is the smaller "Terrier types" that demonstrate aggression and yet it is perfectly acceptable for them to be unmuzzled!

Statistically, you are most likely to be bitten by a lovable Lab? And they most certainly aren't on the Restricted List? Mad, eh!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Graces7 wrote: »

There can be other reasons for muzzling a dog. I put muzzles on my two for a while after Toby suffered kidney failure due to poisoning. I'm not sure exactly what caused it but somebody was leaving raisin loaves out in the park (for the birds) and raisins cause renal failure in dogs. I didn't want to take a chance on them eating the raisins or anything else poisonous, so I decided to muzzle them for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 H123

Wearing a muzzle does not mean the dog is aggressive or dangerous. I get some funny looks when I take off my terriers muzzle and then let him off! But he is only muzzled for the walk through our area as he and a neighbour lab hate each other to the extent my dog actually would bite me to get at him. Its a strange one as he is safe round all dogs and people otherwise. In particular he is very respectful of me always, and I can take away food, and do things he will tolerate form no one else. Its like he looses his mind. When he was a puppy he and this lab had a bad run in and whatever the lab did to him he has not forgotten.

And before you think I am too soft and he could do it to another dog... He is 10 years old, is regularly walked by one of my neighbours as well as myself and she has seen the problem but also the behaviour otherwise and in 8 years has never had any issue with him either with other dogs or with people. She did not even believe me when I inisted he had a pscyhotic episode if he met the lab and could bite her as well as it if unmuzzled until she had seen it for herself.

If your dog is aggressive either on or off the leash, muzzle it. It's safer. Can you muzzle a boxer though? They don't have much nose?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Unfortunately, the Breed Specific Legislation does make it a legal requirement to muzzle certain dogs, even though they may never have shown ANY tendencies toward biting or any other aggressive behaviour.

Typically it is the smaller "Terrier types" that demonstrate aggression and yet it is perfectly acceptable for them to be unmuzzled!

Statistically, you are most likely to be bitten by a lovable Lab? And they most certainly aren't on the Restricted List? Mad, eh!

Statistically you are more likely to be killed by a pit bull type dog so thats why they need mussling

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Statistically you are more likely to be killed by a pit bull type dog so thats why they need mussling

Have you got proof of these statistics to show us?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Link please or that's complete nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Really? I would love to see these statistics, could you put them up please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

iguana wrote: »
    There can be other reasons for muzzling a dog. I put muzzles on my two for a while after Toby suffered kidney failure due to poisoning. I'm not sure exactly what caused it but somebody was leaving raisin loaves out in the park (for the birds) and raisins cause renal failure in dogs. I didn't want to take a chance on them eating the raisins or anything else poisonous, so I decided to muzzle them for a while.

Sorry to go off topic, but thanks for that information.

I eat a lot of raisins (and other fruits) with my brekkie and there's nothing my dogs love more than to get my left overs!.

Sorry agn for going off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

+1...

My Pitbull type dogs are almost into double kill figures, I'm surprised I'm the only one here :rolleyes:

Btw, whats a "Pit Bull type dog"?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Sorry to go off topic, but thanks for that information.

I eat a lot of raisins (and other fruits) with my brekkie and there's nothing my dogs love more than to get my left overs!.

Sorry agn for going off topic.

Yeah, my dad was on a forum and someone posted that their dog had died from eating raisins. I think the dog ate about half a bag. Though I've heard that only 20 raisins can kill a collie. I'm sure that a few don't usually hurt, mine have had them before I heard that, but now I don't risk it . . .

You can use statistics to prove anything . . . 80% of all people know that.

H123 wrote: »
    Wearing a muzzle does not mean the dog is aggressive or dangerous. I get some funny looks when I take off my terriers muzzle and then let him off! But he is only muzzled for the walk through our area as he and a neighbour lab hate each other to the extent my dog actually would bite me to get at him. Its a strange one as he is safe round all dogs and people otherwise. In particular he is very respectful of me always, and I can take away food, and do things he will tolerate form no one else. Its like he looses his mind. When he was a puppy he and this lab had a bad run in and whatever the lab did to him he has not forgotten.

One of my neighbours dogs, a boxer, is like that with one of my dogs. They just don't like each other. The boxer always goes for her and my dog is now really scared of her and has fainted twice at the sight of her! But the boxer is lovely to my two other dogs and I think she's a very friendly dog. My old dog really hate this pom and the pom hated her on time at a dog show, but neither of them had any problem with any other dogs. Some dogs just clash!

+1...

My Pitbull type dogs are almost into double kill figures, I'm surprised I'm the only one here :rolleyes:

Btw, whats a "Pit Bull type dog"?.

^^ LOL i dont want to come across as a WUM or anything,
    *but pit bull type dogs are the american pitbull terrier, staffordshire bull terrier, staffordshire terrier, bulldog, english bull terrier and a mix of the above.

I cant find the information now but it shows that in the U.S the *pitt bull is responsible for for the most deaths by a dog followed by the rottweillers then german shepard.

although pitts and rotts do score well in temperment tests and less likely to bite, but if they do bite they'll cause more damage then a terrier or a smaller dog. (dogs most likely to bite in ireland are the Collies, Cocker/Springer Spaniels, Terrier breeds, Jack Russell Terriers, German Shepherds, and Golden Retrievers)*http://vega.ucd.ie/news/0710_october/081007_dog_bite.html

It's a shame for responsible pitt and rott owners that these are the choice dog of the chav which dont train their dogs in obedience and socialize the dogs so the general public think these dogs are dangerous.

Restricted breed list that need muzzling in ireland
    • American Pit Bull Terrier
    • Bull Mastiff
    • Doberman Pinscher
    • English Bull Terrier
    • German Shepherd (Alsatian)
    • Japanese Akita
    • Japanese Tosa
    • Rhodesian Ridgeback
    • Rottweiler
    • Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    I do like pit bulls but still think they should be muzzled along with the current list just because of the potential danger, i also think boxers and labredour/golden retrievers should need muzzling and any dog should not be allowed just wander without supervision.

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Findthebull/findpitbull_v3.html fun game to play that leaves food for thought

link to dog bite statistics - pretty much every website shows the same details though i'm very sceptible on how reputale they are

http://old.swivel.com/data_sets/show/1007511

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf a list of dog attacks U.S

Europe http://www.scribd.com/doc/24388086/Fatal-Dog-Attacks-Europe-2006-2009 rottweiller is a more popular breed in europe

http://wonder.cdc.gov/wonder/prevguid/m0047723/m0047723.asp reputle site on dog attacks in U.S

i could add hundreds of other stats to show american pitt bull terrier, american staffs, rotts and german shepards cause most deaths for un-reputale websites. though common sense shos that big dogs with powerfull jaws and long teath are more of a danger then a small terrier that nips at ankles.

I'm sure you think only mistreated dogs kill people but there's a lot of cases that show family pets savaging kids and the UCD report shows that you are most likely to know the the dog that attacks.

When i was young i remember being chased by vicious mongrel terriers or labradors that where just allowed to roam and it was all fun but in U.S and its a growing trend here is to just let your pit bull un-attended on the street and if it attacks its going to do some damage.

[QUOTE=Oranage2;65824605

Restricted breed list that need muzzling in ireland
    • American Pit Bull Terrier
    • Bull Mastiff
    • Doberman Pinscher
    • English Bull Terrier
    • German Shepherd (Alsatian)
    • Japanese Akita
    • Japanese Tosa
    • Rhodesian Ridgeback
    • Rottweiler
    • Staffordshire Bull Terrier
    I do like pit bulls but still think they should be muzzled along with the current list just because of the potential danger, i also think boxers and labredour/golden retrievers should need muzzling and any dog should not be allowed just wander without supervision.

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Findthebull/findpitbull_v3.html fun game to play that leaves food for thought[/QUOTE]

We all know whats on the list so no need to post it up.

I think its ridiculous to think all dogs need muzzling and any dog can be a potential threat, not just the ones on the stupid list.

Personally the only dogs i think should be muzzled are ones that are known to be people or dog aggressive and not just because of their breed.:mad:

A pit bull is a breed so how can you say that a staffie, bull dog, bull terrier etc are pit bull types as they are far from that??:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

i could add hundreds of other stats to show american pitt bull terrier, american staffs, rotts and german shepards cause most deaths for un-reputale websites. though common sense shos that big dogs with powerfull jaws and long teath are more of a danger then a small terrier that nips at ankles.

"small terrier that nips at ankles"???? I tell that to my friends small daughter who is still suffering the effects of a Westie bite to the face which ended in 56 stitches and a broken tooth.:rolleyes:

lrushe wrote: »
    "small terrier that nips at ankles"???? I tell that to my friends small daughter who is still suffering the effects of a Westie bite to the face which ended in 56 stitches and a broken tooth.:rolleyes:

I hope your daughter gets better and i understand your point that any dog can attck.

Haven brought this tread topic way off i'll just summerize:

*the restricted breeds are big, have a powerful bite force and if they do attack the injuries suffered are going to be worse then a non-restricted breed in many cases. They are unforetunetly also the choice dog of the irresponsible chav owner and the typical case is seeing some guy with a cap and tracksuit having a staf thats pulling on the lead and showing agression towards other dogs. This is why i like seing the restricted breeds with muzzles.

I also think that other dogs need to be put more dogs on the list like boxers, huskies and labradors.

* Never leave any dog un-attended with a child.

Maybe if a once off licence that costs €5000 for any dog and if your dog attacks another dog or person and does damage then you lose the €5k. If it doesnt attack then you get back the money when you dog dies. This should cut out chav owners, dogs being left wandering the streets and it will also make getting a dog a serious decision. Also dog training classes and dog sosilizing classes should be law.
    If this was the case i'd be happy that no dog should have to wear a muzzle

side note: better listen to the power mad wardens cause they actually have powers.
    Dog Wardens

Dog wardens have the power to request the name and address of a person suspected of an offence under the Control of Dogs Act 1986. They also have the power to seize and detain any dog and to enter any premises, other than a residence with 5 or more dogs, to seize and detain a dog. You are guilty of an offence and can be arrested by a Garda if you obstruct a dog warden in the course of his or her work, refuse to give your name and address or give a false name and address

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

side note: better listen to the power mad wardens cause they actually have powers.
    Dog Wardens

Dog wardens have the power to request the name and address of a person suspected of an offence under the Control of Dogs Act 1986. They also have the power to seize and detain any dog and to enter any premises, other than a residence with 5 or more dogs, to seize and detain a dog. You are guilty of an offence and can be arrested by a Garda if you obstruct a dog warden in the course of his or her work, refuse to give your name and address or give a false name and address

On this, if for example someone reports you for walking your listed breed dog off muzzle can the warden just turn up at your home and seize the dog, I mean the only evidence they have to go on is someones hear say. Is it a case of getting a warning and next time its reported they seize the dog?

(I would never walk a listed breed off muzzle in public BTW :))

Advertisement