Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,074 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

oops forgot about the stormers game

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭leakyboots

delete

Not sure the people of La Rochelle agree with you there!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭El Vino

Anyone what more knowledge of French Rugby than me able to explain Pau's ascent to the top of French Rugby, is it artificial as they have fewer internationals involved in WC or have they had an injection of cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They've made some shrewd signings with the money they have. An all English halfback pairing seems to be working for them really well in Simmonds and Robson. They had Luke Whitelock which was probably key in attracting Sam (who hasn't played yet, I believe). They absolutely did benefit from little or no disruption from the RWC though.

Most importantly was that they managed to attract a great coach in Sebastien Piqueronies. He was a brilliant underage coach. Won the JWC titles back to back with France. Was an underage coach at Toulouse and brought through a huge amount of talent there.

He seems to have really clicked with this role though and is developing a great team without too many (if any) superstars.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

It was their first ever top tier trophy. They deserve the celebration, but it doesn't change what I said. They are 0 for 3 against Toulouse in finals now, that will be every bit as bad for them as our record against LAR is for us.

They've won 2 European Cups in a row... you're saying that doesn't hold much weight with fans compared to the domestic... I totally disagree... I'd say he's pretty bulletproof after those. Those two titles are absolute dreamland for a club like that considering what went before.

I've no doubt they want the Top14 too, but I'd say fans are absolutely delighted with ROG over there (if he could keep his mouth shut lately albeit!) and the European success they've had. If he wins the Top14 they'll stick a statue up of him down the line or name a baguette avec turnips after him or something

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Lord Palmerston

I would agree that I don't think there is any possibility ROG is in difficulty or that La Rochelle fans would ever call for him to be fired after what he did for them, but think the point is still true. For French clubs winning the Bouclier is bigger than winning in Europe, especially for a team like Stade Rochelais who've never won the thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

I think that photo was after this year's win, no? The scenes seemed very similar 2nd time round.

Ultimately, ROG has been head coach for 2 year's now I think? He's won the European cup twice. He's building an absolutely brilliant CV. That makes him pretty bullet-proof by any measure.

If you're comparing Leo and ROG, I don't think either are at risk of losing their job, but you'd have to think Leo would be more at risk.

I didn't say it "doesn't hold much weight" , I said the T14 is generally considered more important and I stand by that.

I agree that I really don't think he is in trouble, but he has lost 3 finals in a row (1 europe, 2 T14) to Toulouse and currently sits 2 places above the relegation zone after 8 matches. I absolutely do not think he is "bullet proof" completely.

• Advertisement

Head coach since 2019, so this is his fourth season.

He's done exceptionally well and tbh the comparison to Leo is probably a decent one. I would think they are about the same (i.e. not at risk) but both have a team they consistently fail against when it counts that has limited their silverware. Eventually those kind of things can grate. Also Leinster are a mixed bag this year but 2nd in the league, not 11th.

But Jono Gibbes was there as DOR til 2021, right? I think it's fair to say he's had 2 full seasons where he was the primary decision maker and ultimately the buck stopped with him; and he's won 2 European Cups in that time.

He's about as bullet proof a coach as there is in club rugby, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

They had 11 players at the RWC.

Two wins from their last three.

8 points off sixth, as Buer says.

I can't imagine there is even a mouse-fart of pressure on ROG right now.

*the lesser-known "mouse-fart" scientific unit of measurement for pressure, from the unfortunately named Jean-Michel Mouse-Fart.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,011 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

And the less said about how he discovered it the better....

0/3 against the same team in knock outs?!

F*cking losers!

Joking aside, ROG is bullet proof but I would imagine his paymasters will be very p*ssed if he cops a lengthy ban for his latest indiscretion.

From reading the SR fan forum, two things stood out regarding the incident:

1. ROG was very well behaved generally on the sideline. But he had to be restrained/calmed down in the corridor outside the dressing room. Whether his vitriol was directed at the officials or others, I don't know. The hearing will probably reveal more.
    2. The fans don't care. They are totally behind ROG. They're actually (for the most part) exceptionally one eyed. Some believe such behaviour is acceptable and the officials should be reprimanded for poor performance. So, if fan sentiment is a factor, he's absolutely bullet proof.

With all that said, the Bouclier is absolutely the big one in France and after the three losses in a row to Toulouse, it's grown significantly in the minds of LAR players and fans, I'd imagine.

They've a window to strike on this. Key players are getting on a bit. Botia's contract is up this summer. He's 35 in spring. Atonio will be 33 and has reversed his decision to retire from French duty which I'd imagine wasnt' well received in LAR. Dillane isn't a key player but he is in their 23 and his contract is also up. He'll surely attract attention from back home. TKB will be 34 next season although I think he'll play until he's 36.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭PMC83

It has to be said he does absolutely nothing to help his case. He's claimed in his column this week that he's been targeted because he's not french.

Surely being a head coach and a pundit /columnist isn't a mix that works.

Going for the Donald Trump defence - interesting tactic.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Where's the bit in the article that says he's targeted because he's not French? He says he's targeted because he has a reputation and he hasn't been informed of what the charge relates to.

• Advertisement

It's probably this bit:

"The Clermont coach Christophe Urios has slated officials publicly in the media but he isn’t an Irish coach making his way in France..."

The Clermont coach Christophe Urios has slated officials publicly in the media but he isn’t an Irish coach making his way in France...

Certainly, there is a sense here, without a hint of paranoia, that selective treatment is a concern. Others appear to be able to comment on officialdom with impunity, yet I look sideways at someone and I am up before a hearing committee again.

I mean, it is pretty heavily hinted at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭PMC83

He hasn't come out and said it directly but there's lines between the lines there.

The Clermont coach Christophe Urios has slated officials publicly in the media but he isn’t an Irish coach making his way in France...

Regardless is seems pretty bizarre to air your work related grievances in a national paper. Not going to help his cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,032 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Unsurprisingly, it didn't take ROG very long to fall back down off his faux holier than thou high horse regarding trying to influence referees

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I love ROG! He's a competitor and is not afraid of anything. I'd be happy to have him come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭phog

Stade Francais playing Toulouse now, Stade score a try, Stade are penalised after the try is scored, ref says he's starting with a penalty to Toulouse. Then the try is ruled out due to a knock-on by Stade but ref starts the game with a scrum to Toulouse. The try & penalty have been ruled out.

What were they penalised for? If it is foul play the penalty against Stade could presumably still stand but it would have to be from the 5 rather than halfway. That's an interesting one though

I didn't see why, but it had to be foul play after the "try" was scored. It looked like a scuffle happened after the try as I walked in on a scuffle breaking up, the ref spoke to Stade players and then they reviewed the knock on and started the game with a scrum back where the knock on happened.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bit confusing. 'Stade' = Toulouse normally

Advertisement