Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Match Thread** Tuesday, April 13th @21:15 in Wesley 2 - Boardeaux V Woodbine

Options
  • 12-04-2010 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭

righto, first match of the season and with a difficult league, we need every point we can get, starting here. i dont know all the squad, only going with the existing lads from last year, so please edit in des who is playing...

Finalised Squad

GK

Clay - IN

Defenders

Andy - In
    Cathal - In
    Dan - In
    Ed - IN
    Keith P- IN

Glenn - In
    Graham - In
    Martin - IN

Midfield

Cillian - In, late
    Collie - In
    Conor - In
    Derek - Inj
    Eoin - Work
    Gav - In
    Keith Mac - In
    Kenny - In

Forwards

Anto - In
    Ciaran - In
    Dave - Inj
    Jules - In

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

I'm in, trying desperately to shake off the man flu but should be fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

In-ish.

I've a cup game at 8 so it will probably be about 9.30 before I get there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

I'm in, Glenn/Derek if you want a lift let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

i Am in for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

lads, we are probably going to have a huge squad tomororw nite. for any new lads joining, just to reiterate, it may take time to get into the team....patience is the key, we all had to serve our time on the sideline at some stage and will spend im am sure more time on the sideline. its all about taking your chance when you get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Anyone who's on Facebook, here's the Boardeaux Group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=71876187008&ref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I'm in, Glenn/Derek if you want a lift let me know.
    Same as last time, lift back would be great man. Back in college now so will be making my way out from there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Looking forward to this and echo what Ed has said on patience - there's competition for every single jersey now which is a positive for the squad overall.

This is a very tough league and all teams will take points off each other so each 3 points will be very valuable and will have to be earned.

Finalised Squad

GK

Clay - IN

Defenders

Andy
    Cathal
    Dan
    Ed - IN
    Keith - IN
    Glenn - In
    Graham - In
    Martin - IN

Midfield

Cillian - In, late
    Collie - In
    Conor
    Derek
    Eoin - Work
    Gav - In
    Keith
    Kenny - In

Forwards

Anto
    Ciaran
    Dave - Inj
    Jules - In

Jules, can you text or PM me Keith's number please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 keith MAC

Hi Des,

I will be there....

Cheers,

Keith

• Advertisement

Get there for 20:45 lads: there's points at stake here so there'll be none of the messin around like before the friendlies. Get there and get kitted out ASAP and then get warmed up and stretched before the team being named and instructions given.

Get there for 20:45 lads: there's points at stake here so there'll be none of the messin around like before the friendlies. Get there and get kitted out ASAP and then get warmed up and stretched before the team being named and instructions given.
    Is it the usual business that people do their own warm up?

Voltwad wrote: »
    Is it the usual business that people do their own warm up?

Kind of sort of.

I just don't want to see fellas standing round like a knitting group having a gossip, get yourself warmed up and stretched and ready to play, someone should take the initiative and start a few runs and stretches.

There will be no balls given out until ten minutes prior to kick off.

Yes - people arrive separately so each person should be doing their own initial warm-up when they get there. We do aim to do a group-warm when we're all there. This can be difficult as there's generally a match playing on the pitch beforehand, so there's only space to warm-up individually, though we do a bit together when the previous match ends if we have a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭Dearg81

I'll be there.

Andy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

gonna have to pull out of this :(
    shin splints are just crippling me stoppin me from running

Strongly recommend you get yourself down to IrishFit in Dun Laoghaire and do their Gait Analysis: Injury Prevention Analysis.

Best €120 you'll spend and trust me it's worth it: I sufferred severely for 4 years (admittedly with a complicated case invovling both shin splints and the most extreme case of compartment syndrome the consultant has seen) and saw over 10 physios/consultants/docs and none of them were able to fully diagnose the problem or outline a plan to deal with the symptoms that worked. Leo at IrishFit did both.

While shin splints go away with rest, they are a chronic injury, meaning they'll just come back again after a while of impact running if the root cause is not addressed. And orthotics do not address the root cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

Strongly recommend you get yourself down to IrishFit in Dun Laoghaire and do their Gait Analysis: Injury Prevention Analysis.

Best €120 you'll spend and trust me it's worth it: I sufferred severely for 4 years (admittedly with a complicated case invovling both shin splints and the most extreme case of compartment syndrome the consultant has seen) and saw over 10 physios/consultants/docs and none of them were able to fully diagnose the problem or outline a plan to deal with the symptoms that worked. Leo at IrishFit did both.

While shin splints go away with rest, they are a chronic injury, meaning they'll just come back again after a while of impact running if the root cause is not addressed. And orthotics do not address the root cause.

cheers mate il look into it when i have 120e spare :)

Ciaran should be in for later, he just rang me there. hes got an injury but is hoping to be ok later.

So looks we will have 16 or 17 there for kick off, decent squad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

So looks we will have 16 or 17 there for kick off, decent squad.

Good news on Ciaran, we've a big squad, some lads will play some may not, some may get 10/15 mins. Some new guys will be on the bench as well some of the older crew.

As has been said over and over again, each person will get their chance to stake their claim, but above all we are a team and we will win as a team or lose as a team.

/Any Given Sunday speech.

Looking forward to this

• Advertisement

maybe a good time for a team photo also, we aint had one in 2 seasons.

Heading out on the luas in a little while if anyone's making their way from town.

Voltwad wrote: »
    Heading out on the luas in a little while if anyone's making their way from town.

:eek:

You're going to be mad early!

Des wrote: »
    :eek:

You're going to be mad early!
    I'ma pop in somewhere and catch the first bit of the Chelsea match. Been hanging around the library not studying for an hour now :pac:

4-0 win and a great start to the season.

we were poor firsts half, 0-0 at half time, but superb in the 2nd half, upped the tempo and totally different side. one game down, but tougher tests lie ahead, starting next week.

goals from anto 2, jules and collie.

three nil wasn't it? I think we were all dreaming that Collie actually scored :D

Some strike from him.

I just realised i was meant to bring Glenn home.... It's a long walk to blessington sorry :(

I gave Glenn a lift to Terenure - he asked someone to tell Keith if they saw him.

Excellent result and a great turnaround in the second half. We played some great football in that half and the workrate was high across the board and there were some lovely team moves.

Did Anto get a touch to the corner - I had thought it went in direct from Gav? Great goal from Anto on the edge of the box: that ball Keith played into my feet with back to goal on edge of the box is the ball I was screaming for all last season - if you do manage to lay it off in that position you've drawn in at least one defender and it makes space for the man receiving. Was delighted with that move and outstanding finish from Anto who was excellent all-round.

Plenty of excellent performances in that 2nd half in many places...a fullback (Andy) pulling a ball back from the byline for a striker to tap in? We haven't seen much of that before so keep it coming :D. You'd have to attribute at least 2 of those goals to our newly more positive approach: we'd have scraped a 1-0 or 2-1 in that game last season. So the approach is also in the black: when we do give away a goal to a one-on-one over the top, and that will happen sooner or let it, just remember the trade-off is still worth it so let's not overreact and get defensive when it happens. We've never had such close contact between the centre-midfielders (all 3 that played there) and the strikers and it was a direct result of defence pushing up and pushing the midfield on.

Collie Murphy...when he does score he scores an absolute gem of a strike...even had a lovely zing sound on it...more please!

Now lads, all that said, that's 3 points and a good start and nothing more. They are a solid team but I'd doubt they'll be in the top 5 come the business end of the season - we know of at least 4 other much stronger teams in this league. And when you reflect on the disjointed nature of our first half performance (understandble given first game of season), it's not as unreasonable as it might seem after a 4-0 win to say we really need to up it a gear from the off next week and beyond. SS Rovers would have punished us for that first half.

But as Clay said - let's worry about that next week...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A very impressive performance from when you went 1-0 up and the terrific second goal broke their resistance, but I wouldn't have saw that scoreline before the first goal.

I wouldn't judge the new approach too soon. It bore fruit when in the lead no doubt. Last season however, the team started off as positive and conceded seven goals in 2 games which is an incredible handicap and a more defensive approach stabilised this I thought.
    The core of previous seasons were on tight 1-0 wins with maybe just one late comeback from Ravenhill, they shouldn't be underestimated in a tough league. As said, that team won't be in the top five and you will be under much more pressure in other games and will require midfielders to defend and be away from the strikers. Then the system can be judged either way. When the goals are there, good...but Roy's Rovers and MDMA will be different games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 TevezAnto

Sure did get a touch onto it.... header actually!! Great start lads and really impressed with the system played by the Gaffer!

Advertisement