Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can i keep driving on this?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

Personally i would not risk driving at high speeds. Put on your spare in the mean time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Thoie wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't drive on that.

+1

Personally i'd seize it! That cannot be safe.

(didnt read past page one!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭CR 7

It's the same as this I think, with different centre caps:
    814_image2.gif

Should be easy enough find one in a scrap yard, or even to buy a single one new.

These are made by ICE, fairly common too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Thats why people are killed over things like this . I hope to god your not driving this........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

This happened during the floods and you're asking now??

I'm going to assume you've been out of the country for a few months because driving on a wheel like that is beyond a deathwish.

I dented the metal brace in a tyre one Saturday last august and had to shell out €84 the following Monday for a new one.

On the plus side I'm expecting a bank transfer of €84 from Limerick County Council any day now:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Turlock

Check out Antan.ie, they can work wonders on wheels and have seen a wheel with similar damage be repaired although they did have the missing piece

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

christ that took a right whack.....

Wouldnt tempt fate by driving on that. There could be a multitude of other fractures within the alloy.

Go get a new wheel asap

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

check ebay

''For buying, for selling
    Knowing u can always bid on me
    For sure,,thats what ebays for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BlueDragon

Managed to get a spare last night thank god so i can drive on that till i find a new one
    And yes its an audi A4
    I must of been driving on it a couple of days because i only noticed it yesterday
    I dont have the other piece of it
    Is there no way at all at all it can be repaired?

Park Ji Sung yeah that looks exactly like it,
    Anyone know where i could pick one up?
    Or is there anyway i could buy just 1 brand new alloy of that type??

I know this is a long shot but is there anyway i could try and ask the cork county council for compensation?
    Aparently a few people have gotten money off them for their cars getting destroyed by the potholes on the main roads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

BlueDragon wrote: »
    I know this is a long shot but is there anyway i could try and ask the cork county council for compensation?
    Aparently a few people have gotten money off them for their cars getting destroyed by the potholes on the main roads
    AFAIK You have to pay it out of your own pocket 1st and then they compensate you. Take pics of damage and take a pic of the pot hole you hit. Send copies of receipts and pics to them and tell them what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Bonito wrote: »
    AFAIK You have to pay it out of your own pocket 1st and then they compensate you. Take pics of damage and take a pic of the pot hole you hit. Send copies of receipts and pics to them and tell them what happened.

As Bonito says you must know the pothole you hit. The Pothold must also have been reported previously......County Council can are only negligant when they know of a defect on a road.

Its a pain....

Ok ill do that
    Ill have to buy a new alloy because the places that i emailed about fixing my alloy said its unrepairable
    So it'll take me a little while to find a new alloy so would it matter how long i waited until i emailed them the pictures and what not or should i email them straight away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

WOW
    stay off motorways, as soon as you hit over 75mph the alloy will shred the tyre off completely in less than a second.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

WOW
    stay off motorways, as soon as you hit over 75mph the alloy will shred the tyre off completely in less than a second.

What about 74 mph then ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

This thread is epic! 5 pages long.......what is ze fookin problem? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dangerdunf

You could try SP heat transfers in ferrybank to see if they could fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ok ill do that
    Ill have to buy a new alloy because the places that i emailed about fixing my alloy said its unrepairable
    So it'll take me a little while to find a new alloy so would it matter how long i waited until i emailed them the pictures and what not or should i email them straight away?

You had a cheap POS of a wheel that shattered like a cheap POS.
    So now you are setting out to add another wheel, almost certainly with a different weight and composition (and possibly size too) to a set of 3 POS wheels, further exaggerating the woeful setup your car has.

How about this; stop being so cheap and putting us all in danger and buy a set of 4 decent rims, even second hand OEM makes?
    Ive picked up good genuine AUDI and BMW wheels (with tyres) for £200 to 300 on ebay.co.uk while $hitty chinese reps go for twice that cos they are all shiny like.. People are so dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Is the alloy not just an R8 replica? Surely these can be got in any alloy store.
    And possibly picked up 2nd hand from a place that takes trade-ins on wheels?

try contacting this guy http://www.tallonwheels.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,107 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Try duct tape. On your head.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

I tried to find the same alloy before so i could use it as a spare and i was told its a chinese make or something and its very hard to find i cheaked ebay but couldnt find it
    Ill upload another picture of it and if anyone could tell me what make it is i would really appricate it thanks

If i drove on it how likley is it that the tyre would blow out or something could happen?
    Sorry for your trouble. Had a similar experience with low alloys. I am probably late, but you didn't say what car. I would change all 5 at a breakers for something with a higher tyre. Low profile alloys are a serious money eater on bad roads.
    Important:make a formal report to the council and the cops with photos of hole in road and damage and get invoices for all costs and copies of report to cops and to council re the accident and submit them to the county secretary, requesting repayment of damages.
    Keep copies of everything in case you need to get a solr. to follow up, although small claims court should do the trick. Should take 18 months but best start now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Irlandese wrote: »
    Low profile alloys are a serious money eater on bad roads.

I can't let that go un checked,crap low profile tyres fitted to cheap or replica big wheels on bad roads is a money eater for sure,fit decent tyres on decent strong OEM or good name wheels and you will have no problems unless of course you drive like an ejit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Obviously those alloys are made of cheap materials. I would be thinking about upgrading if i were you, another pothole and your back to square one.

Advertisement