Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Men-bashing letter in Irish Examiner

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Stupid letter,its really the capitalist system to blame rather than a single gender.

I usually pick up the Examiner on a Saturday but the large front page picture of 6 Irish models dressed in tight Munster Tops yesterday has put another paper on my never to buy again list. Nothing spoils my Saturday morning quite like the media's crusade in confining women's 'role' in sport to just looking pretty on the sideline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

its only my opinion Panda, but capaitalism didn't cause the mess we find ourselves in. The perverted version of crony capaitalism we operated here for the best part of 2 decades did though. Whole other debate though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I read a line one time and it said that white's are basically the only "race" now that you can make fun of and be racist towards and no-one bats and eyelid and nothing happens. I think it's becoming the same with men.

Basically anything can be said and we're supposed to just sit there and take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

Dr Galen wrote: »
    its only my opinion Panda, but capaitalism didn't cause the mess we find ourselves in. The perverted version of crony capaitalism we operated here for the best part of 2 decades did though. Whole other debate though :)
    tbh, there's no single cause for the mess. It seems to have given many people an excuse to blame it anything they happen to oppose, however, be it patriarchy, capitalism, immigrants, bankers, the government etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Ah cmon HD - it was women - we all know that ladies like a nice house :p

Dr G - will I get my PhD with that nugget??

The real cause was that the Government and that includes the Dept of Finance and Central Bank failed to control lending ( Money Supply) by the banks. Its what central banks do.

Say you have an average industrial wage of 35 k for a single person the max mortgage is 3 times that so the avarage house price should be 110K.

So prices are lots more than that as are building costs,labour costs etc and on this the government go in taxes and which hands went out by Public Servants etc for higher wages, the Health Service and all the other services that wanted money.

In turn -what funded it was money borrowed by the banks from abroad which was in excess of their own capital abilities. Taxes were paid in on the tranactions and paid out again.

It was visable to everyone and the economics of it is fairly transparent. The politicians of all parties and civil servants and the unions all knew.
    (Its a fair bet they knew because if I could work it out they could).

They all lacked the bottle to turn of the taps which is what the Central Bank and Dept of Finance and Politicians are there for.

And thats how it happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

CDfm wrote: »
    you have had two letters in two weeks in the national press by academics promoting their gender biased work and are media savvy.other than that -its old hat. political parties, trade associations, trade unions and activists etc do the same everyday.

it was a bit of fun working it out having worked in marketing and pr to analyse and explain to people the hows and whys of a letter like this and the black art of PR.

i would get bored looking at this all the time and my g/f would kill me.
    Not sure if you are talking about something specific or generally about the GC, but I reckon I'll probably be posting a lot less in the coming month (various deadlines coming up) and probably, in the long-term, at least a bit less on average. Just got some stuff off my chest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I get really into it myself and had to make a New Years resolution not to be a Mens Rights bore.

Its cool when you get a nice buzz going on a thread with people like Taconnal ( hiya Taco) and Dr G contributing.

I enjoyed the letters you posted because they were by two academics who are involved in training social workers etc.And tGC is the best place to discuss it.

The nice thing about tGC is that we can decide to make it positive.

Its good to get stuff off your chest too but you can get too stuck into it.

Advertisement