Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kurt Cobain Biopic

Options
  • 09-04-2010 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently Courtney Love wants control of the films casting and she wants him to play Cobain and Scarlett Johannson to play herself.

Besides the fact that she's flattering herself wanting Johannson to play her, i'm gonna put one out there and say I think Pattinson would be quite good to play Cobain. I think he has a good look to play him but I think he has a stigma around him that he has been in the Twilight films so I dont expect many Nirvana and music fans to be too happy about it.

Ive always thought Jared Leto would be a good choice to play Kobain, always thought he had the look about him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

I don't think it's true and if it is then it's a bad move. Not many nirvana fans over 16 would be happy about Edward Cullen playing Kurt. He doesn't look very much like him either. Jared Leto would be great for the role but I doubt he would ever do it since the media has commented on him looking like kurt in the past and i doubt jared likes being called a kurt cobain wannabe. taking the role would just give them more fuel.

0216_jared_kirk.jpg

rpatzandjaredleto.jpg

it's obvious who would be better for the role!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Link?

I wouldn't count on this.

He's probably pretty much everything Cobain despised.

I'd love to see Johnny Depp play the part, think he would be perfect.
    Even if he is getting on at this stage.

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Link?

I wouldn't count on this.

He's probably pretty much everything Cobain despised.

I'd love to see Johnny Depp play the part, think he would be perfect.
    Even if he is getting on at this stage.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Robert+pattinson+kurt+cobain

• Advertisement

Err did you click on the link? It brings you to multiple websites with the story.

I apologise, don't know what I did there.

Got the story anyway.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Actually Jared Leto wouldn't be bad, never thought of him. He looks completely different to the above photos now I think so mightn't be an issue re being seen as a wannabe.

There was a possible toss up between Pattinson & James Franco to play Jeff Buckley in his biopic. When I thought about it, Franco would be better.

There is just too much stigma re the twilight stuff, Pattinson needs about 5 years of doing completely different movies before he can shake it off & then be looked at to play someone like Kurt in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Imo biopics should always star unknown actors so as not to overshadow the person they're portraying.

Pattinson has been linked to pretty much ever role available. He's a poor actor whose fan base is made up or 13 year old girls. He hasn't the ability to portray anythign more complex than a seemingly brain damaged transexual vampire.

I actually gave him the benefit of the doubt and watched Remember Me as I have to review it. His performance is dreadful in it and he manages to drag down the film from 2 star to 1 star territory.

Looking at the great films based on musicians many often feature an actor who looks absolutely nothign like the person they are portraying. Gary Busey in the Buddy Holly story, Kurt Russell in Elvis. Neither looked anything like the musicians but they both turned in superb performances which perfectly captured the man. I would rather a competent actor than simply a look alike.

• Advertisement

Pattinson has been linked to pretty much ever role available. He's a poor actor whose fan base is made up or 13 year old girls. He hasn't the ability to portray anythign more complex than a seemingly brain damaged transexual vampire.

I actually gave him the benefit of the doubt and watched Remember Me as I have to review it. His performance is dreadful in it and he manages to drag down the film from 2 star to 1 star territory.

Looking at the great films based on musicians many often feature an actor who looks absolutely nothign like the person they are portraying. Gary Busey in the Buddy Holly story, Kurt Russell in Elvis. Neither looked anything like the musicians but they both turned in superb performances which perfectly captured the man. I would rather a competent actor than simply a look alike.

I wasn't *just* suggesting jared leto based on his looks (though they help IMO) but he is a great actor in serious roles.I agree with what you said about Robert pattinson, I was too afraid to say it since he has crazy fangirls lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

As for Scarlett playing Courtney: if Kristen Stewart can play Joan Jett, I don't see a problem. It could be an opportunity for her to "go ugly" and chase an Oscar - much like Charlize Theron did in Monster.

I have just one demand for any actor who wants to play a musician: get someone who can play the actual instrument to a decent standard. Makeup can do a lot, but nothing can mask an actor faking an instrument. That was why Gary Busey made such an impression as Buddy Holly, for example: he did all his own singing and playing.

So, we need a left-handed guitarist ... how about Justin Bieber as a young Kurt? :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

I would rather a competent actor than simply a look alike.

Joe Anderson is both:

276458.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 85,894 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Robert Pattinson is apparently being lined up by Courteney Love to play Kurt Cobain in a biopic of the musician's life.
    Love has made no secret of the fact she has wanted to make the movie for some time and tell the story of his mysterious death.
    Rumours are that Scarlett Johansson will star opposite the British heartthrob and Fight Club director David Fincher will head the production.
    Cobain died at the peak of his success on April 8th 1994 of what was officially ruled as a suicide by a self-inflicted shotgun wound to the head.
    The death has always been a topic of much contention and conspiracy theories.

I havent seen Michael Pitt performance in Last Days so i cant comment but Leonardo di Caprio and Edward Furlong would be my choices

I know RPatz is popular but has he proven himself to be more than just a pretty boy??????? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭thenakedanddead

oh dear

If you were to read the board and not just copy and paste information you would see that there's already a thread on this.

If you were to read the board and not just copy and paste information you would see that there's already a thread on this.

Halfway down the page no less.

And you must open your eyes. You tell your king that William Wallace will *not* be ruled... and nor will any Scot while I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

I think an unknown/obscure actor as Cobain would work He'd have to be in the 22 - 28 age range to pull it off. Leto is 38. Anything but Pattinson, I sincerely hope this is a rumour and we can laugh about it in a few weeks.

Also, a piece of roadkill tied to a stick could be used to play Courtey Love, therefore saving money on hiring an actress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

Sounds kinda like Cobain then...a poor musician whose fan base is made up of 13 year old grunge/emos...:rolleyes:

Why bother making a biopic of Cobain? Did he actually do anything interesting or remarkable?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,894 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

my bad eyes not working too great :o

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    my bad eyes not working too great :o

No worries you know I meant nothing by it, just be nice to hear you voice an opinion every now and again.

Skinfull wrote: »
    Why bother making a biopic of Cobain? Did he actually do anything interesting or remarkable?

He formed a band which changed the way certain styles of music are viewed today.
    They have sold over 50 million albums.
    Also had some pretty amazing songs as well.

If there can be a biopic about Buddy Holly or Sid Vicious,
    I don't see how there can't be one about Cobain.
    He also blew his brains out at pretty much the height of his fame,
    I would think that is fairly interesting.

Plus, he had problems with heroin addiction and depression.

If there isn't a film in all that....

At least it's not a fcuking remake of something..

How about Paul Dano as Cobain?
    Think he would be perfect. He's a really great actor as well.

He formed a band which changed the way certain styles of music are viewed today.
    They have sold over 50 million albums.
    Also had some pretty amazing songs as well.

If there can be a biopic about Buddy Holly or Sid Vicious,
    I don't see how there can't be one about Cobain.
    He also blew his brains out at pretty much the height of his fame,
    I would think that is fairly interesting.

Plus, he had problems with heroin addiction and depression.

If there isn't a film in all that....

At least it's not a fcuking remake of something..

How about Paul Dano as Cobain?
    Think he would be perfect. He's a really great actor as well.

To be honest I don't see the need for a film about him after all it's pretty much every rock bio ever made. Talented yet volatile young star makes some great music, falls into the pit of drug dependency, meets a girl, trouble ensues and it all ends with death. It's Walk the Line, Ray, Sid and Nancy with a different actor and setting.

Walk the Line and Sid and Nancy are fantastic films.

I'd be happy to see something of the same quality on the life of Cobain.
    Pretty much everything has been done in this world,
    there are obviously going to be comparisons between the lives of musicians,
    the lives of actors, artists, politicians.

It all depends on the view point the film makers take of the persons life,
    what angle they take.
    Why make a film about Jake LaMotta, when there is already a film about boxing called Rocky.
    Sure nothing could top Rocky as a boxing film...why even try...

Might be the greatest musician biopic ever made.
    Probably not, but you never know.
    Of course, if it stars Robert Pattison...there's fcuk all chance of it being any good and I'll steer well clear.

Walk the Line and Sid and Nancy are fantastic films.

I'd be happy to see something of the same quality on the life of Cobain.
    Pretty much everything has been done in this world,
    there are obviously going to be comparisons between the lives of musicians,
    the lives of actors, artists, politicians.

It all depends on the view point the film makers take of the persons life,
    what angle they take.
    Why make a film about Jake LaMotta, when there is already a film about boxing called Rocky.
    Sure nothing could top Rocky as a boxing film...why even try...

Might be the greatest musician biopic ever made.
    Probably not, but you never know.
    Of course, if it stars Robert Pattison...there's fcuk all chance of it being any good and I'll steer well clear.

The problem is that it's pretty much the same story as every other rock bio ever made. The story of Nirvana really isn't that interesting. Now if they were to make a film about the rise of grunge and the bands involved it would be a different story. I really can't see a film about Cobain being anything but another Oscar baiting picture made to win awards. There's a million more interesting musicians with a story to tell than Cobain, this is nothing more than Courtney Love hoping to cash in further on the Cobain name. The only reason anyone would attach Pattinson to the film is to market it to a larger audience and guarantee that ever blog/film site wrote about it.

The problem is that it's pretty much the same story as every other rock bio ever made. The story of Nirvana really isn't that interesting. Now if they were to make a film about the rise of grunge and the bands involved it would be a different story. I really can't see a film about Cobain being anything but another Oscar baiting picture made to win awards. There's a million more interesting musicians with a story to tell than Cobain, this is nothing more than Courtney Love hoping to cash in further on the Cobain name. The only reason anyone would attach Pattinson to the film is to market it to a larger audience and guarantee that ever blog/film site wrote about it.

She could be possibly mentioning him in the role because that would be the best possible advertising that she could get really.
    Mention the biggest teen star in the world as a possible candidate to play Cobain.

I would think that there is an incredible angle that they could take to Cobain's life,
    in order to make it something special.
    It would have to be fairly dark though, akin to Sid and Nancy for it to actually work though.

And no Robert Pattinson...

I certainly agree about her being a money grabber though, so she probably will go down the route of Pattison...
    Think she just wants to make enough money, so that she can live the life she has become accustomed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IsThisIt???

How about Jospeh Gordon-Levitt

joseph_gordon-levitt_killshot_set.jpgjoseph_gordon_levitt_in_uncertainty.jpg

Interesting that a couple of years ago Courteney Love wanted Ryan Gosling to play Cobain, apparently.

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/01/14/casting-the-kurt-cobain-biopic-finding-fitting-actors-to-play-axl-rose-dave-grohl/

Might have been on the back of his nomination for best actor for Half Nelson.
    Maybe she felt he could draw a crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

please dont put that pale pasty faced douchebag for the twilight in it. Everyone knows that Ewen McGregor is the only man for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

this is nothing more than Courtney Love hoping to cash in further on the Cobain name.

Nail on head.

Advertisement