Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

skeptic almost considering going for reading

Options
  • 09-04-2010 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

My girlfriend got a reading off some boyo in meath, Goff or something

Anyway, im fairly skeptical of this sort stuff and would consider my girlfriend a bit gullible so if the guy is a fraud then he would probably have a field day with her

Everything he said was relevant to her life and some of it freakishly relevant BUT while it was hard to dismiss how detailed he was I still kinda thought an expert in cold reading could possibly come up with this stuff

BUT the part that confuses me is he was able to name names, he named one of her sisters and her sisters husband, then another person

He only had her first name,i was initially thinking facebook or bebo etc :p

He charged 60-70 euro by the way :rolleyes:

Can anyone explain it? do these people do their research!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Were you there or are you relying on an account of the reading?

It's not unknown for these people to make their readings a little 'warmer' by doing a bit of background work either, maybe it's worth 60 euro of your money to satisfy your curiosity and wok out how he's doing it?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

pH wrote: »
    Were you there or are you relying on an account of the reading?

It's not unknown for these people to make their readings a little 'warmer' by doing a bit of background work either, maybe it's worth 60 euro of your money to satisfy your curiosity and wok out how he's doing it?

I dont know if many readers do go to the effort of 'warming up' readings. If I give you my first name and phone number would you find out my aunties name? A lot of trouble for 60 quid.

You know my standpoint. Im a skeptical believer, if you like. The names thing could be explained a number of ways.

Commonality of names. Everyone in Ireland has a John in the family, for instance. However, if the reader specifies the person first, then names them, thats a much more precise way of working. As in your uncle on your mums side named John.

Cold reading. Im getting a J name? Yes? James? No? Well John then. Yes? Great! Clients mentally edit out the incorrect guesses.

Or they are obtaining them through some unknown (psychic) means.

Only by sitting in on a reading will you be able to decide which is the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

OP go for the reading, but record it (secretly or with the psychic's permission)

If you listen back to it afterwards you'll probably be better able to see the methods being used

Post it up here too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Whatever about the things he got right; believers tend to forget the parts of the reading that were way off the mark - because that's not interesting.

Getting a reading done means handing over 60-70 quid and supporting pseudo-science. Also, perhaps it doesn't apply to readings but, when it comes to magic tricks, sceptics are just as easy to fool as non-sceptics.

Regarding Dave!s comment.. I dont expect you nice scientific people are foolish enough to post up a recording of anyone without their permission, so I dont even have to say how stupid that would be, do I?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

I think ill go for it, my curiosity is killing me! I'll decide during the week for sure

I dont think id record it, i wouldnt be able to hide the fact that somethings up to one of these people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drogsnookerclub

There is a thread about this guy already, joe gough is his name http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055417821

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bog master

Skeptical Believer, like that term! I have gone through several phases and during that time, have had 3 readings. LONG POST

Reading 1. Initially, wanted to believe, off I went for Reading 1. Enjoyed it, nothing major shocking or revealing, can now see how some of the cold reading works, and also in a sense, its somewhat comforting to be talking with someone about what may or has happened, maybe in a way, sort of a counselling session.

Conclusion: Fun at the time, somewhat startled at some information, but
    can understand how some may have been gained by cold reading.

Reading 2: Was done from afar, ie I guess similar to an on line reading?
    Had to provide DOB and signature. Very long intricate reading provided on tape. Mostly concerned personality traits, likes/dislikes, and emotions, and general advice on how to better myself and accept some of the things happening in my life, and that they would improve. Again, much like a counselling session, but extremely accurate in describing personality, likes/dislikes, hobbies, current emotional state, interests, number of children, and two quite traumatic incidents that happened to me, both as a teenager, many moons ago!

Conclusion: Definitely some sort of ability, to describe me, current emotional state, and the two teenage incidents, was baffling. I dont see how cold reading could give this information.

Reading 3: Rang and gave first name only. Was wearing skeptics hat, determined to try not to give anything away and not say to much. Made me a cup of tea. Have changed the names here to be fair.
    First thing she says, "Who is Mairead, she is thin, dark haired and you are dating here, and I see you taking her to dinner" Probably, my jaw dropped because I was dating Mairead and we did end up going to dinner. Alas it did not last lol! Now, all I said was, someone I was seeing.

Then she said someone else whom you met a good while ago, who has not been in contact, will be in contact soon, but not to resume anything. I pushed her for a name, she could not come up with it then, but said, it is about music or the arts. Two weeks later got an email from her with a link to a Youtube video of her son's band playing.

Next, she said you have made friends with a blonde haired woman, good bit younger than you, she lives nearby, and she is in a time of upheaval or transition. Spot on, not romance to those who think its Romeo here, but we had got to know each other the few weeks previous, lives 100 yards away, and ended up moving house at the end of the month.

Other bits and bobs were said, mostly again somewhat like counselling in a way, "its a good time to do this" etc, but at the end, I asked could she come up with the one that would be back in contact. She asked for a couple of minutes and came back with Fionnula, again spot on.

Conclusion: Very accurate, cannot see how any cold reading techniques would provide this information. Especially with the names, not exactly common, as my forename is not Irish. Her vague predictions about the future, where just that, but was enjoyable all the same. I believe she had some gift to read certain things from my mind, but would not bet money on the future predictions.

Sorry for long post, welcome any and all comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

bog master wrote: »
    Had to provide DOB and signature. Very long intricate reading provided on tape. Mostly concerned personality traits, likes/dislikes, and emotions, and general advice on how to better myself and accept some of the things happening in my life, and that they would improve. Again, much like a counselling session, but extremely accurate in describing personality, likes/dislikes, hobbies, current emotional state, interests, number of children, and two quite traumatic incidents that happened to me, both as a teenager, many moons ago!

Conclusion: Definitely some sort of ability, to describe me, current emotional state, and the two teenage incidents, was baffling. I dont see how cold reading could give this information.
    Definitely some sort of ability to look you up on the internet, more like. You gave her your DOB and your full name; she could probably get your bank account details and what age you had your appendix out if she went to the right website!

As for the rest of it? Cold reading, hot reading, confirmation bias and Barnum statements. If you'd said no to Mairead then probably either someone called Mairead would come into your life soon, or it'd be Mary, Moira, Marie, definitely begins with an M... And the blonde woman? I'm betting that lots of people on here have made friends with a blond who lives in their area who might be going through an upheaval. She didn't say "Your neighbour X will be moving house" and 'an upheaval' could be taken as moving house, break up of a relationship, marriage, death in the family, or even repainting the living room or emptying the garage.

The fact that your forename isn't Irish may have made it even easier to track you down online. It's not unknown for these people to have stooges or even bugs in their waiting rooms so that they can hear what you're saying. You also don't list what she got wrong. Next time you go for a reading, if you do, keep track of the 'misses' as well as the 'hits' and you're more likely to get an accurate idea of how the reading went.

kylith wrote: »
    Definitely some sort of ability to look you up on the internet, more like. You gave her your DOB and your full name; she could probably get your bank account details and what age you had your appendix out if she went to the right website!

I think that is quite unlikely. I am not on Bebo, Facebook , or any site that reveals my real name. However, I will do myself a search and see what I can find. Perhaps you might do the same?

As for the rest of it? Cold reading, hot reading, confirmation bias and Barnum statements. If you'd said no to Mairead then probably either someone called Mairead would come into your life soon, or it'd be Mary, Moira, Marie, definitely begins with an M...

As I posted, she asked the question and continued on without me saying a word other than maybe some shock. She got the name right, not exactly as common as Mary, "thin and dark haired", spot on and the dinner date was on my mind. The person, with that name, with that description was in my life at the moment, not coming into it.

And the blonde woman? I'm betting that lots of people on here have made friends with a blond who lives in their area who might be going through an upheaval. She didn't say "Your neighbour X will be moving house" and 'an upheaval' could be taken as moving house, break up of a relationship, marriage, death in the family, or even repainting the living room or emptying the garage.

Am sorry, but I find your response is very vague and general. The specifics were blonde, lives nearby, good bit younger, and going through upheaval.

The fact that your forename isn't Irish may have made it even easier to track you down online. It's not unknown for these people to have stooges or even bugs in their waiting rooms so that they can hear what you're saying. You also don't list what she got wrong. Next time you go for a reading, if you do, keep track of the 'misses' as well as the 'hits' and you're more likely to get an accurate idea of how the reading went.

In stating my forename is not Irish,call me John then, meaning not as Gaelige, as in Mairead and Fionnula. Made the point, because if I was Padráig O'Broin or whatever, I would assume any names coming up would be Irish names. So still dont buy all this wealth of information one can gain about someone from the internet. No waiting room, straight into house from car. And I did state, she did give me vague predictions about the future, and I would not bet me house on it. I mentioned what she got right, looking for comments on how she could have gained the information.

• Advertisement

I think that is quite unlikely. I am not on Bebo, Facebook , or any site that reveals my real name. However, I will do myself a search and see what I can find. Perhaps you might do the same?
    I have done in the past. And up pops information on what school I went to, youth groups I was in, my friend's websites, stuff like that.

I recommend reading badpsychics.com There's an article on there where a man was, like yourself, sceptical that so much information could be found online even though he wasn't on any social networking sites (IIRC the info was things like his brother's nickname, his mother's maiden name). Someone from the debunking site did a bit of a search and in an hour had come up with a staggering amount of info. I'll see if I can dig up the article.
    As I posted, she asked the question and continued on without me saying a word other than maybe some shock. She got the name right, not exactly as common as Mary, "thin and dark haired", spot on and the dinner date was on my mind. The person, with that name, with that description was in my life at the moment, not coming into it.
    And your shock would have been all she needed to tell her that she was on to a winner. She was probably delighted to have hit the nail on the head first try. Your stunned expression was a big sign that read "You've got it right; keep going".
    Am sorry, but I find your response is very vague and general. The specifics were blonde, lives nearby, good bit younger, and going through upheaval.
    My reply was pointing out that her 'specifics' were very vague. Blond, younger than you, lives nearby, upheaval.

Now, I don't know how old you are, but it's possible that you're at an age where you knowing a few people younger than you is a certainty? So that wouldn't be hard to guess. The chances of you knowing a woman is pretty good too, I imagine. And the chances of one of them being blond is pretty high, what with hair-dye and all. What 'nearby' means is purely subjective, as is 'upheaval'.

As soon as you heard the key words your brain would automatically have started looking for something that fit with the facts (my brain has thrown up 3 blondes in my area who are in 'upheaval' at the moment, for example). If I said that a young man that you know was under the weather at the moment you'd probably be able to think of someone.

Living 'nearby', is subjective because, well, what do you class as 'nearby'? Within a street or two is definitely nearby, yeah? But so is anywhere within walking distance, or maybe anywhere that's less that 30 minutes in a car, depending on your viewpoint.

And as for 'upheaval'. As I said already 'upheaval' could mean illness, moving house, death, marriage, holiday, or redecorating. It's a catch-all word that the 'psychic' uses because it allows you to define the meaning yourself.

My point is that Blonde, young, nearby, and upheaval are much too vague to have any confidence in. If this woman was actually able to somehow 'know' what was going on why wouldn't she say "So, Jane's moving house then."?
    In stating my forename is not Irish,call me John then, meaning not as Gaelige, as in Mairead and Fionnula. Made the point, because if I was Padráig O'Broin or whatever, I would assume any names coming up would be Irish names.
    You're in Ireland, Irish names are all over the place. If you didn't know people with Irish names it'd be remarkable.
    So still dont buy all this wealth of information one can gain about someone from the internet.
    You should. You don't have to be online to show up in searches. As I said earlier you can show up on school, youth group and workplace websites. You can be found in the online phone book and the electoral register. They can find out about you from your friends and family's websites and Facebook accounts.
    No waiting room, straight into house from car. And I did state, she did give me vague predictions about the future, and I would not bet me house on it. I mentioned what she got right, looking for comments on how she could have gained the information.
    And I've commented on how she got that information. She got it by cold reading, hot reading, generalisations, vagueness, guesswork and relying on your own confirmation bias. You didn't mention what she got wrong though, and that would be the telling part.

Kylith

Thanks for the replies and taking what I post as true which I assure you is.
    Now, would not make an internet expert, but am hardly a novice. I searched me for an hour or so and came up with nothing. Now, I know you could get my address and phone number from the online directory which I did, and my name from the Electoral Register. But this did not come up on the Google search within the hour.Not sure what good this is going to tell someone. If there is another way to search , please advise and will give it a go. And this method of information only applies to reading 2 where I gave my name and address.

Will look into badpsychics.com but would appreciate the article link.

Re: Mairead! Yes, she got name right, probably saw my surprise and chanced her arm! But was correct on name, hair colour, body build, and plans for a dinner date. Now timespan, between her saying the name, my jaw dropping and the rest of the info was 10-15 seconds and the rest of the info was all in one sentence.

Re: Younger Blonde Woman: I do believe you are splitting hairs here, whether blonde by bottle or not, or definition of nearby or upheaval or even friends, in that I have many acquaintances, very few friends who are special. However I believe we will have to agree to disagree on this one.
    BTW, as in age, I am early 50's.

Now, to be honest, with all three there were some generalisations and parts which I remember did not come to pass, but dont actually remember them.Because for me, what struck me was the accuracy of the present and past, not the future. So all 3 did have some things that did not happen, this I admit. But, I still cannot some understand the rest, especially gathering the info from the internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Most likely it wasn't done with cold reading, but with something known as the Forer effect, where the reader presents what is in fact generalized information but which is designed to be processed by the brain as specific information relating to them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forer_effect

If you have a copy of the reading post it up so we can have a look.
    First thing she says, "Who is Mairead, she is thin, dark haired and you are dating here, and I see you taking her to dinner" Probably, my jaw dropped because I was dating Mairead and we did end up going to dinner. Alas it did not last lol! Now, all I said was, someone I was seeing.

That is the bread and butter of this sort of thing. The reader throws out information and sees what sticks. "Who is X" is a classic cold reading technique because it instantly triggers a response from you. If she already knew who Mairead was why ask that question?

Everyone knows a Mariead. What see wants to see in the reaction (which can be a fraction of a second) is something to narrow down how you know here. Is she a friend? Your sister? Someone you barely know? She asks that question because she wants to see what you do when your brain is triggered to answer the question. The following response is then tailored to how you subconsciously respond. She can tell from your subconscious response that it is possibly some sort of romantic connection. She then throws out further details and sees what sticks.

You will notice she actually the details wrong. You aren't dating her. The reader, based on your initial response, probably figured this was a girl you had either dated, where dating, or wanted to date (you possibly subconsciously gave traits of mild arousal at the name) She took a chance with one of them and followed it up with a specific detail guess that you would be going for dinner (what are the odds that you would take someone you are dating out to dinner at some point in the future)

She got the details wrong, but because you are amazed she was even in the ball park this fact is over looked. People are so amazed when a psychic gets anything close to something they over look that they actually got details wrong.

Modern society has come to expect this because the cultural meme that has been implanted in all of us of the fuzzy image coming through the magical aether.

So we excuse it when it goes wrong and marvel at it when it gets right.
    Next, she said you have made friends with a blonde haired woman, good bit younger than you, she lives nearby, and she is in a time of upheaval or transition. Spot on

How is that "spot on"?

What are the chances that there is a women who lives "near" to you who is going through any sort of "upheaval" at the moment?

Next time ask her to define "near" and "upheaval", those are two very general catch all terms. Upheaval can mean anything from a break up to a death to, in your case, a move. She could have been changing jobs, going on a holiday, breaking up with her boyfriend, having a baby, just been released from prison, going into prison, buying a car, buying a house etc etc.

Again the pattern in general catch all terms with a sprinkling of specific details with the safe knowledge that if the specifics are guessed right they come off as even more impressive but if not they simply get over looked.

She guessed blonde and got it right (a pretty safe bet, people tend to remember blonde girls more than other hair color) but you would probably have excused that even if she didn't, as you did with the "you are dating her" mistake.

Wicknight

Have done a good bit of research on cold reading, Barnum & Forer effect and various debunkers and it has opened my eyes. In fact I did the Forer test online and scored 34% but what that says, I have no idea. But I still feel there are some out there who have some sort of ability from within to see into ones life, whether be past, present, or future. How to prove the
    information has been gleaned from an internet search, cold/hot reading,
    Forer or Barnum effect is the challenge.

Going back to my original post, Reading 1, as I said, not particularly impressed and even posted then, I could see how some of the various tricks/techniques were used.

Reading 2 as I said I received on cassette tape. Now I believe some
    people can take a lot from a signature but, as I said previously, was very specific describing my personality, hobbies, number and gender of children, and the two events in my teen years. For personal reasons, I prefer not to get into the actual descriptions at this time. A previous poster said all this info can be gleaned from the internet, well have searched away for 2 hours and cannot even find me.

Reading 3: Re: Mairead What are the odds of getting the name right first time? No fishing, ie I see someone with a letter M. Not exactly a common name in my age group. I will admit, going to dinner is fairly common, but then her description was correct also. So, again, back to odds, hair colour, 1 in 3, blonde, brunette, redhead. Body build, 1 in 3? thin, average, voluptuous. I understand your comments on how she would read me to see if it was family or romantic connection but still cant see how she would get all of this correct. You posted she got details wrong? Not sure what you mean.

Reading 3: Re blonde. Now, here it becomes difficult because you dont know me and you can either take what I say as truth or bull. I don't make friends easily, and to me, a friend is someone who you can be totally open with, express your inner feelings, dreams, and fears. Others you say hello to, or have a drink or a quick conversation are to me, acquaintances.
    So, I did meet this woman and we had an instant rapport and I consider her, in my definition a "friend". Blonde, 15 years younger, and was giving up her house, ie handing back the keys to the bank, and moving. That I would consider upheaval, but like nearby, we can all have our definitions.

Another poster replied to this saying he can think of 3 blondes near him going through his version of upheaval. Good for him, I dont even know 3 blondes that live nearby.

And lastly,no on has commented on I was due to hear from someone I was seeing before, it was not to resume anything, and it would have to do with the arts and music and finally her name was Fionnuala. And two weeks or so later get an email from her with a link to a Youtube video of her sons band!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I've sat in with exes who were into this sort of thing and talk about *yawn*. Most of the time they were telling the "psychic" what to say back.

A few years back, not in Ireland, I had one of the very few truly "What the Fu...":eek::eek: moments in my life. I was sitting having a coffee and a ciggy outside a cafe waiting for a mate. This woman and her granddaughter(I found out later) were having lunch beside me after waht looked like a day of retail therapy. The granddaughter(who was v cute BTW :D) excused herself to me and asked in halting english if I didnt mind, but her granny had some advice for me. I thought here we go, scam ahoy, though they were well dressed and looked a lot more financially stable than I did :D and no money was changing hands

Anyhoo, through the granddaughter this woman in her 60's told me in under a minute about a person in my life and what she thought I should do. This is the name, this is what happened, this is what might be best to do and be aware of something else. She then wished me well and off they went. She was scarily accurate. Now I do mean scarily. Including the name involved she couldnt quite pronounce. She couldnt pronounce it, but did give what she thought was its meaning. Not the name involved but as an example Dierdre. If someone said deedri or something but then added it meant sorrows kinda thing. With this particular name I didnt find out the original meaning until afterwards. I'd say my entire convo to the pair of them was "oh right, sure I'll listen" and "thanks" when they left me gobsmacked.

It did impress me with the lack of any info from me and a name foriegn to her ears, never mind the accuracy of the unusual background in such a short interaction. None of the long winded humming and hawing, I see a man his name begins with T guff. NOthing and I mean nothing from me, bar a look of incredulity. Straight and to the point. I didnt have a mobile at the time so they couldnt have read it when I was in the bog, or any of that. To this day I scratch my head.

That said IMHO self claimed psychics are hokum. They can fulfill a role as erswhile therapists for some, but that in of itself is dangerous. Do I think it possible the human brain can pick up images or feelings from another brain? It's possible. It would be an evolutionary advantage to a social animal and the brain is a very very complex machine. States like distress, anger, love etc could be transmitted by hormonal smell means as an example. Who knows. I have heard of telepathy experiments with native Australians that showed results well above what chance would suggest. Even so I seriously doubt it's accessible by crossing someone's palm with silver.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

I dont think id record it, i wouldnt be able to hide the fact that something's up to one of these people :D

Being of a sceptical mindset, going for a 'psychic' reading and then not recording it is like shooting yourself in the foot. I even know 'believers' who bothered to record their readings with various readers.

Sure how the bloody hell is the reader going to know you're recording the reading if you've already pressed 'record' just before walking in the door? Unless they have Superman X-ray vision? :D

It's a very small, but worthwhile, 'risk' to take. :rolleyes:

My girlfriend got a reading off some boyo in meath, Goff or something

Yeah, yer man Joe Gough.
    He charged 60-70 euro by the way :rolleyes:

The last I heard was that he's now charging €80 for it. :rolleyes: I don't understand what would justify that price because the reviews of his readings on here have been half-in-half - some calling the readings amazing and the others saying the readings were useless or off-the-mark.

I've never been tempted to try out one of his readings, tbh. I've read that there's supposed to be a waiting list for him ranging in length from a month to four months. Does that allow him - or an associate - ample time to research people's backgrounds? I'm not sure what to make of him, having not seen the man myself...

I have done in the past. And up pops information on what school I went to, youth groups I was in, my friend's websites, stuff like that.

I can't find any info about myself under my real name on the net. I've been toying around a lot with ancestry sites lately as well and I can't get any info on there. I've been trying to find out more about my antecedants and what-not out of general interest, and it's been frustrating because I'm expected to have all the info about present and past family members (D.O.B.s, maiden names, and all). I was disappointed because I've often heard people say that they only put in a name, a location and a D.O.B. and that they got all this info. :(

Anyway, the point is, I can't find anything about myself and my family on the internet from using either my first name and location or my full name and location.

I recommend reading badpsychics.com There's an article on there where a man was, like yourself, sceptical that so much information could be found online even though he wasn't on any social networking sites (IIRC the info was things like his brother's nickname, his mother's maiden name). Someone from the debunking site did a bit of a search and in an hour had come up with a staggering amount of info. I'll see if I can dig up the article.

I read a very interesting article about a British journalist's experience with Sally Morgan a while ago.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/profiles/sally-morgan-i-am-not-mad-i-am-not-unhingedi-talk-to-dead-people-942336.html
    Sally Morgan was born Michelle West, in Fulham. Her father Derek, she says, was extremely violent towards her mother Beryl and to Michelle, who changed her name to Sally before she was in show business. She grew up with a stepfather, Pat Thatcher, and recalls a childhood of quarrelling and stress.

"You didn't mess with him," she says of Thatcher.

Her mother, she remembers, used to strike her with a hairbrush till her scalp bled.

She met her current husband John, who occasionally wanders into the kitchen while we're talking, in 1973. He tells me that he gave up a job "in sales – helping a friend with a greengrocery business" to support his wife's career six years ago. They have two daughters, Rebecca and Fern.

Her first child, Jemma, was born following a brief marriage to a man Sally refers to by the pseudonym of Brian.

She has been estranged both from her mother and Jemma for 12 years, following a remark a family member made about the medium. (She refuses to discuss this, for fear of being sued; her publisher's lawyers cut the allegation out of her book. The most she will say is that there is no suggestion of abuse or other criminality.)

"Do you think your turbulent upbringing encouraged unusual experiences?"

"Definitely. In the house at Waldemar Avenue in Fulham, where I grew up, there was a spirit in the bathroom. It made me do things. Naughty things I can't talk about."

She had her first psychic experience at nine months, and saw her first spirit when she was four. Then Jesus appeared to her on the bedroom ceiling. She left school with no qualifications and took various jobs related to the health service; she worked in the dental surgery for 25 years.

When she was a teenager, a visitation occurred while she was listening to Cliff Richard.

"A voice said: 'Shut that bloody racket up.'" (Definitive proof, some might argue, that our Lord is both vigilant and merciful.)

She had her epiphany at Wimpy in New Malden, Surrey, in the mid-1970s.
    "I met a friend there. She said she was getting married. I saw the man's face. Money was falling around him. Now he's a multi-millionaire. The face went, then returned. I realised I could choose to keep these things in my head, or not."

When she began giving psychic readings, she says, at first she didn't charge.

"People would bring me flowers," she recalls. "Maybe a cake."

Things have moved on a bit since then.

"Your website offers phone readings at £39.99 per half-hour. How do you justify that?"

"I have to maintain my integrity, OK?" says Morgan. "But how do you also keep people happy?"

She says that she hasn't inherited her father's temper, but has raised a finger, and looks well able to take care of herself in a debate.

"There are so many people," she explains, "wanting readings." (She's claimed to have 72,000 on her waiting list.)

"If you can read down the phone, why look at pictures?"

"Well, I do like working with a picture, I will be very honest."

"But why charge so..."

"You can't get psychics to work for nothing."

"How do you vet them?"

"I vet half a dozen at a time. I have a good Tarot reader, and a medium, and somebody that specialises in love and relationships."

"Where do they work?"

"It's done through a call centre. The call is transferred to their home."

"How many psychics work those lines?"

"About 30."

"How much of that £39.99 do they keep?"

"They're on a percentage."

"What percentage? Thirty? Fifty?"

"It can vary."

"So out of £40, they'd get what? £15 or £20?"

"Maybe even a little bit more."

"I'm not saying that any psychic who charges is automatically discredited..."

"Yeah, but look at the Vatican. I mean, hold on a minute..."

"Surely you're not comparing yourself to ..."

"No. I am talking about money. Money that goes into religion. Mosques. Churches and, er... Look at the money that goes into them. Because one is spiritual, it doesn't mean that one has to be on the poverty..."

Morgan pauses, possibly remembering the Veuve Clicquot in the driveway. (The champagne was actually left over from her daughter Fern's 30th birthday party.) "I wouldn't be able to do what I do," she continues, "unless I could pay my bills."

I find myself wondering how long Morgan's been talking this way; perhaps since "one" met the Princess of Wales.

"It invalidates nothing if you charge a fee. It might do if you were exploiting people."

"I don't exploit anyone. If you find anyone that says I have, I want to have a conversation with that person. These people on these websites that attack me, they hide behind false names. I'm Sally Morgan. That is my name. I don't hide anything."

"There are some serious accusations on, say, badpsychics.com."

"I don't read them. What's the name of that website again?"

She writes it down.

"They mention a reading you did in August 2007, with Brian Dowling, who won Big Brother. I've seen that footage. Before you meet him, you're asked, on camera, if you know him. You say: 'I know of him.' But hadn't you ' already given him a reading, in February 2005? One that was mentioned on your website? One that had been published by the News Of The World?"

"Yes. Well... I don't want this in the newspaper, OK?"

"It's quite an important allegation; I think you should respond to it."

"I did it because the director told me to."

"Badpsychics also carried a review of a show you did in Grimsby Auditorium in May, where the contributor alleges that a woman mentioned having a relative crushed by a lorry. They say you gave the name 'Caroline'. And that, when the person explained that 'Caroline' meant nothing, you said that perhaps those three syllables meant that the victim had been: 'carried by the lorry'."

Morgan doesn't recall this.

"We have that on film. We film every show. In Grimsby we have a nut-nut that writes letters.

Badpsychics," a site she now sounds a little more familiar with, "have got a bigger problem than me."

"Your critics focus on the fact that you used to advertise, on your website, that you had been called in to help police..."

"I have helped them; that's true."

"So why has that statement disappeared from your site?"

"I changed website people. It wasn't done deliberately."

"You claimed that you 'pinpointed' the body of Helen McCourt. (A 22 year-old from Billinge, near St Helens, murdered by a publican in 1988.)"

"Yes."

"Did the police call you in?"

"I have letters from Merseyside Police."
    (She produces a grateful letter from the chief constable.)

"Did the CID approach you?"
    "The mother did."
    "But the body is still missing, isn't it?"
    "Yes. The body is somewhere where the police don't have the money to dig."
    "So you know where it is?"
    "I know. It's on National Trust Property."

I saw her on the TV show 'Celebrity Juice' recently. The host, Keith Lemon (AKA Leigh Francis) completely ripped the piss out of her. It was hilarious, but Morgan seemed to take it all in her stride. When Lemon tried on her glasses and shrieked and pointed, "Ghost! I see a ghost! There's a ghost! There's another one!", it was brilliant. :D

And your shock would have been all she needed to tell her that she was on to a winner. She was probably delighted to have hit the nail on the head first try. Your stunned expression was a big sign that read "You've got it right; keep going".

From my own experience, I remember when I saw Peter Matthew that I probably did have a highly evident expression of surprise on my face when he came out with some on-target names and other info. I couldn't help it. But he didn't spit out a few random names and info before he said the what-turned-out-to-be-accurate stuff.
    I've listened back to the reading a half a dozen times since and he wasn't doing any of that manipulative guessing craic. I know it when I come across it though, so I know what you mean alright. It tends to be really obvious when they do that, IMO. There's nothing subtle about it, unless you happen to be stoned at the time. :p

[...] If I said that a young man that you know was under the weather at the moment you'd probably be able to think of someone.

Living 'nearby', is subjective because, well, what do you class as 'nearby'? Within a street or two is definitely nearby, yeah? But so is anywhere within walking distance, or maybe anywhere that's less that 30 minutes in a car, depending on your viewpoint.

And as for 'upheaval'. As I said already 'upheaval' could mean illness, moving house, death, marriage, holiday, or redecorating. It's a catch-all word that the 'psychic' uses because it allows you to define the meaning yourself.

My point is that Blonde, young, nearby, and upheaval are much too vague to have any confidence in. If this woman was actually able to somehow 'know' what was going on why wouldn't she say "So, Jane's moving house then."?

I agree that the above details - 'upheaval', 'living nearby' - are vague, so they should be overlooked as 'hits' really.
    You should. You don't have to be online to show up in searches. As I said earlier you can show up on school, youth group and workplace websites. You can be found in the online phone book and the electoral register. They can find out about you from your friends and family's websites and Facebook accounts.

I just tried looking myself up on my former schools and university websites and I couldn't get anything. I'd say you'd have to just ring or email them with your full name, D.O.B., and the years inclusive that you attended them. I saw they only list alumni who are 'of note' on the website. In fairness, the list of them is pretty short. :rolleyes:

When I typed my full name and county into http://www.goldenpages.ie, it told me "No Results Found". When I tried the same on
    http://www.118.ie, it said, "Invalid person search. Please search again."

I'm not in the electoral register because (shame on me), I've never bothered to register myself to vote. I'm pretty ignorant of voting for various party candidates.

My Facebook and Bebo profiles are set to private. You have to add me as a friend first to get hold of any info about me. I'm vigilant about whom I befriend on there. Even so, there's nothing very personal written on my profiles. Siblings of mine who are on FB and Bebo as well go under their full names, but they're addressed and known by shortened names/nicknames only by others in the family. Yer man Peter Matthew got the alternative name of one of my siblings on the first go before. To his credit, he hadn't thrown any other similar-sounding names at me to try to get the eventually-accurate one.

Nobody in my immediate family has a website. A few of my friends have websites alright, but that's only for work purposes.

But I still feel there are some out there who have some sort of ability from within to see into ones life, whether be past, present, or future.

Do you think if that was actually true that

a) no one would have properly documented it
    b) people with these abilities would be working as fortune tellers?
    Reading 2 as I said I received on cassette tape. Now I believe some
    people can take a lot from a signature but, as I said previously, was very specific describing my personality, hobbies, number and gender of children, and the two events in my teen years. For personal reasons, I prefer not to get into the actual descriptions at this time. A previous poster said all this info can be gleaned from the internet, well have searched away for 2 hours and cannot even find me.

Well no offense but your definition of specific and my definition of specific might be a bit different.

Also how much of the tape was inaccurate?
    Reading 3: Re: Mairead What are the odds of getting the name right first time?

I though you changed the names?

Anyway, how are you defining "right"? The odds that an Irish person would know a Mairead some where at some time in Ireland are very very high. She didn't say who this person was until after she had asked "Who is Mairead?" That is classic cold reading.
    No fishing, ie I see someone with a letter M.
    "Who is Mairead" is fishing. If she already knew why ask the question?

She asked the question because she need to see a response from you, even subtle and subconscious, of you thinking who is she talking about.
    Not exactly a common name in my age group.
    Mairead is a very common name in Ireland and, possibly more importantly for the reader, it sounds like a lot of other common names.
    I will admit, going to dinner is fairly common, but then her description was correct also. So, again, back to odds, hair colour, 1 in 3, blonde, brunette, redhead. Body build, 1 in 3? thin, average, voluptuous.
    It would have been interesting if she had said redhead, but dark hair is the most common in Ireland.

She also would have made judgments based on you yourself as to what type of girl you would desire based on your initial response. Thin dark haired girl is about the safest bet possible if your eyes lit up at the mention of Mairead.

If she had said Mairead is a morbidly obese red head that would have been a bit more impressive.

Instead of thinking did she get it right you should be thinking how common really what she is saying is (eg. it isn't 1 in 3 for hair type, red heads make up a small number of the population).
    I understand your comments on how she would read me to see if it was family or romantic connection but still cant see how she would get all of this correct. You posted she got details wrong? Not sure what you mean.

Apologies I read the post wrong, I thought you said you weren't dating when this reading was done.

Anyway the initial point stands, she had a chance that you were dating or wanted to date. Again based on your responses she probably could figure out which (did you express sadness, excitement, or longing when the name was mentioned, one means break up other means still dating, other means you want to date)
    Another poster replied to this saying he can think of 3 blondes near him going through his version of upheaval. Good for him, I dont even know 3 blondes that live nearby.

That is some what irrelevant, the reader most likely didn't know this. They were playing the odds and in your case if you genuinely don't know a lot of blondes, got lucky.

But there was nothing particularly specific in the statements she made. They would have been "right" for pretty much everyone.
    And lastly,no on has commented on I was due to hear from someone I was seeing before, it was not to resume anything, and it would have to do with the arts and music and finally her name was Fionnuala.

Again far far to general to mean anything. You were going to hear from someone at an unspecific date about something but it wasn't to resume anything.

I can think of hundreds of scenarios that would match that. You simply picked the first that happened to you and declared the reading a success.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I've sat in with exes who were into this sort of thing and talk about *yawn*. Most of the time they were telling the "psychic" what to say back.

A few years back, not in Ireland, I had one of the very few truly "What the Fu...":eek::eek: moments in my life. I was sitting having a coffee and a ciggy outside a cafe waiting for a mate. This woman and her granddaughter(I found out later) were having lunch beside me after waht looked like a day of retail therapy. The granddaughter(who was v cute BTW :D) excused herself to me and asked in halting english if I didnt mind, but her granny had some advice for me. I thought here we go, scam ahoy, though they were well dressed and looked a lot more financially stable than I did :D and no money was changing hands

Anyhoo, through the granddaughter this woman in her 60's told me in under a minute about a person in my life and what she thought I should do. This is the name, this is what happened, this is what might be best to do and be aware of something else. She then wished me well and off they went. She was scarily accurate. Now I do mean scarily. Including the name involved she couldnt quite pronounce. She couldnt pronounce it, but did give what she thought was its meaning. Not the name involved but as an example Dierdre. If someone said deedri or something but then added it meant sorrows kinda thing. With this particular name I didnt find out the original meaning until afterwards. I'd say my entire convo to the pair of them was "oh right, sure I'll listen" and "thanks" when they left me gobsmacked.

It did impress me with the lack of any info from me and a name foriegn to her ears, never mind the accuracy of the unusual background in such a short interaction. None of the long winded humming and hawing, I see a man his name begins with T guff. NOthing and I mean nothing from me, bar a look of incredulity. Straight and to the point. I didnt have a mobile at the time so they couldnt have read it when I was in the bog, or any of that. To this day I scratch my head.

That said IMHO self claimed psychics are hokum. They can fulfill a role as erswhile therapists for some, but that in of itself is dangerous. Do I think it possible the human brain can pick up images or feelings from another brain? It's possible. It would be an evolutionary advantage to a social animal and the brain is a very very complex machine. States like distress, anger, love etc could be transmitted by hormonal smell means as an example. Who knows. I have heard of telepathy experiments with native Australians that showed results well above what chance would suggest. Even so I seriously doubt it's accessible by crossing someone's palm with silver.

If it happens again ask for next weeks Lotto numbers :pac:

• Advertisement

Just a few general thoughts and then some specific replies later.

The skeptics seem to give a huge amount of skills ie cold/hot reading to the supposed psychics, being able to read body language instantly, gauging reactions, and coming back with rapid fire responses. I am sure some have this ability and trait, but a lot of so called psychics out there, are they all that skilled?

Secondly, as per my original post and subsequent research, I have accepted that my first reading was vague and very little information gleaned other than than cold reading/Fourier etc. But it seems the skeptics have an solution or method or explanation for every alleged fact the psychic seems to get right, even down to how they sometimes get lucky! And then we have the semantics of word definitions, how close is nearby, friends or acquaintances, what is upheaval?

Now I don’t know how psychics ( if they exist) get their images or feelings or how the information comes to them. Skeptics will say, why not be told it’s a wedding rather than being told he/she sees a celebration, why not be told you will meet someone soon or in the near future, rather than in 2 weeks, 3 days, and five hours. Maybe they don’t have the ability to be so precise?

The debate is interesting, I wish more sceptics would go for a reading
    with an open mind and report back.

Wicknight wrote: »
    Well no offense but your definition of specific and my definition of specific might be a bit different.

Also how much of the tape was inaccurate?

Specific items on personality included single word descriptive terms such as carefree, short tempered,very outgoing, ambitious. Examples not me lol!

Specific items on hobbies and interests included terms such as golf, photography, gardening, stamp collecting etc.

Specific info on how many children/genders and order of birth ie m/m
    m/m/f/m.

To me, that is quite specific.

Also mentioned I had two very traumatic events in my teens.

I though you changed the names?

Changed the names in both cases, but are Irish names, which I reckon has the same level of usage/popularity in my age group.

Anyway, how are you defining "right"? The odds that an Irish person would know a Mairead some where at some time in Ireland are very very high. She didn't say who this person was until after she had asked "Who is Mairead?" That is classic cold reading.

"Who is Mairead" is fishing. If she already knew why ask the question?

She asked the question because she need to see a response from you, even subtle and subconscious, of you thinking who is she talking about.

Mairead is a very common name in Ireland and, possibly more importantly for the reader, it sounds like a lot of other common names.

It would have been interesting if she had said redhead, but dark hair is the most common in Ireland.

She also would have made judgments based on you yourself as to what type of girl you would desire based on your initial response. Thin dark haired girl is about the safest bet possible if your eyes lit up at the mention of Mairead.

If she had said Mairead is a morbidly obese red head that would have been a bit more impressive.

Instead of thinking did she get it right you should be thinking how common really what she is saying is (eg. it isn't 1 in 3 for hair type, red heads make up a small number of the population).

I can see your point and where you are coming from to an extent,
    and it is a possible theory.

I would not agree Mairead is a very common name though. I checked both real and Mairead and Fionnuala back to 2001 as far as popularity and none were in the top 100.

Apologies I read the post wrong, I thought you said you weren't dating when this reading was done.

No problem, even I get confused sometimes on what I wrote!

Anyway the initial point stands, she had a chance that you were dating or wanted to date. Again based on your responses she probably could figure out which (did you express sadness, excitement, or longing when the name was mentioned, one means break up other means still dating, other means you want to date)

Again, I understand this in theory, but the reader must be bloody good because it all came out so fast.

That is some what irrelevant, the reader most likely didn't know this. They were playing the odds and in your case if you genuinely don't know a lot of blondes, got lucky.

But there was nothing particularly specific in the statements she made. They would have been "right" for pretty much everyone.

Again I disagree, if I was to walk down the street and ask every man in my age group, has he met and become good/CLOSE friends with a blonde lady much younger than him recently that lives nearby, how many positives would I get? I am leaving out the upheaval side of it, because when I had the reading, I was not aware of her moving, and the decision was made very very quickly on her part.

Again far far to general to mean anything. You were going to hear from someone at an unspecific date about something but it wasn't to resume anything.

I disagree entirely here. She stated someone I met a good while ago would be back in touch soon, but not to resume dating etc. It was something to do with the arts or music. And so it happened and later near the end of the reading, after this topic passed, asked her for the name, and she came up with the right name.

Now using your theory, reader knew I was dating Mairead and was thinking of taking her to dinner. That can be construed as the dating/relationship was newish with Mairead. So, simple to assume had been dating women before and maybe, maybe, odds are growing a bit now, one of the previous women I dated would get back in touch. Then we go to 50/50 territory, she could be back in touch to see me again, or for another reason. But I am told its to do with arts/music and her name.

The skeptics seem to give a huge amount of skills ie cold/hot reading to the supposed psychics, being able to read body language instantly, gauging reactions, and coming back with rapid fire responses. I am sure some have this ability and trait, but a lot of so called psychics out there, are they all that skilled?
    The ones that are making money out of it are that skilled, yes. Watch Derren Brown, for goodness' sake, he does exactly what 'psychics' do and more, but he admits that it's a con and he explains how he does it.

Just like anyone who wants to advance in their job they train and they practise.
    The debate is interesting, I wish more sceptics would go for a reading
    with an open mind and report back.
    You pay for it and I'll go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

No they're not all that skilled, alot are though. Are all psychics successful? No, even from looking at the Paranormal forum you can see that there's a spectrum of them, sometimes they get it quite wrong. So that eliminates some. How many people who visit psychics are credulous buffoons? You don't need to be good to trick these people. So that's some more. How many people who visit psychics are skeptical and intelligent, but just not familiar with cold reading, etc., so are still likely to fall victim to these tactics? Quite a few I'm sure.

So you're left with a small group that are very skillful and very good, and they can trick even skeptics like you :) Not really that far-fetched!
    Secondly, as per my original post and subsequent research, I have accepted that my first reading was vague and very little information gleaned other than than cold reading/Fourier etc. But it seems the skeptics have an solution or method or explanation for every alleged fact the psychic seems to get right, even down to how they sometimes get lucky! And then we have the semantics of word definitions, how close is nearby, friends or acquaintances, what is upheaval?

Yeah there's explanations, that's because everyone here knows about the tactics they use! :D

As for semantics, I think it's pretty relevant because it's a rather important part of psychic tactics -- be vague and non-specific and let the person connect the dots themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

derren brown does a great psychic act. I suppose it's a skill within itself.

Still though, to be truely skeptical you cant paint all with the one brush and insist that just because some psychics are fake that every single one of them is. Not unless you've studied and tested every single one that is.

maccored wrote: »
    derren brown does a great psychic act. I suppose it's a skill within itself.

Still though, to be truely skeptical you cant paint all with the one brush and insist that just because some psychics are fake that every single one of them is. Not unless you've studied and tested every single one that is.

True; you can't say that there isn't a chance that one person is genuinely psychic, and I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that if there was someone who was actually, genuinely able to perform any paranormal feat at all James Randi would be a million dollars poorer, wouldn't he?

Or at least that person in the other thread could have told me where my Nanny's ring is.

People only bring up James Randi in skeptical debate when they have run out of other things to say. If someone did say where your nans ring was it would be written off as a lucky guess anyway. Such is the nature of what goes on here.

Still, there are intruiging stories posted here that really shouldnt be dismissed as luck or deception. By all means dismiss the obvious crackpots and frauds, but I wish we could look with a less jaundiced eye at the events that really do make you go 'hmmm.,'

Specific items on personality included single word descriptive terms such as carefree, short tempered,very outgoing, ambitious. Examples not me lol!

Can you post up the results? Or link to who gave you the reading?

Again the Forer effect demonstrated that things that appear very specific to a person can actually apply to large groups of people.
    Again, I understand this in theory, but the reader must be bloody good because it all came out so fast.

I'm sure she is bloody good. But if you think about it if all she could do was cold read then it makes sense that should would be working as a psychic.

If she actually could read minds or see the future do you think she would still be working as a psychic.

It is like the idea that if a magician could actually do what he pretends to do would he really be working as a magician. He would probably be a super hero.
    Again I disagree, if I was to walk down the street and ask every man in my age group, has he met and become good/CLOSE friends with a blonde lady much younger than him recently that lives nearby, how many positives would I get?
    Tons probably.

But also remember you can't take your reading in isolation. If she said that to everyone and half the time the person said "Nope, that hasn't happened", would you still think she was good?

You remember it because it was close but you don't know how many times she tried this with others, or how many things she tried with you that were off the mark and she quickly changed
    I disagree entirely here. She stated someone I met a good while ago would be back in touch soon, but not to resume dating etc. It was something to do with the arts or music. And so it happened and later near the end of the reading, after this topic passed, asked her for the name, and she came up with the right name.

The key word there is something. No exact time, no exact date. No exact person, no exact explanation on what it will be about.

Your mind fills in the blanks.

For someone who can read the future she seems awful fuzzy about specifics.
    Now using your theory, reader knew I was dating Mairead and was thinking of taking her to dinner.

No, the reader knew you were dating Mairead. Everyone takes someone they are dating to dinner. That part was a guess.
    That can be construed as the dating/relationship was newish with Mairead. So, simple to assume had been dating women before and maybe, maybe, odds are growing a bit now, one of the previous women I dated would get back in touch. Then we go to 50/50 territory, she could be back in touch to see me again, or for another reason. But I am told its to do with arts/music and her name.

I don't know how she did the name bit, but the rest is easy. Everyone has people who get back in contact with them. My ex girlfriend added me to Facebook a few months ago after not seeing her for years.

You have to keep asking yourself if this woman could actually do what she claims to do a) why is she so bad at it (vague unspecific information) and b) why is she actually a fortune teller?

We know people can fake this. We know there no indication from biology that the human brain has these abilities.

Oryx wrote: »
    People only bring up James Randi in skeptical debate when they have run out of other things to say. If someone did say where your nans ring was it would be written off as a lucky guess anyway. Such is the nature of what goes on here.
    Really? You don't think that the fact that a sizeable prize has gone uncollected for decades says a lot about the non-existence of supernatural abilities? We can talk for pages and pages, as we already have, about the Fourer effect, confirmation bias, cold and hot reading, and the whole shebang without getting through to anyone; the fact remains that anyone who can prove their ability gets a prize large enough to make me wish I were psychic, and yet it's still sitting in a bank vault.

If they had managed to come up with the exact location of the ring I would certainly be very surprised (unfortunately they couldn't have been wronger about the location of the ring and the answer they gave was the most pitiful example of fishing I've ever seen). If they had also answered all the other questions correctly too I would say that it certainly warranted closer examination in a more controlled environment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,664 ✭✭✭✭maccored

True; you can't say that there isn't a chance that one person is genuinely psychic, and I'm not saying that. What I am saying is that if there was someone who was actually, genuinely able to perform any paranormal feat at all James Randi would be a million dollars poorer, wouldn't he?

Or at least that person in the other thread could have told me where my Nanny's ring is.

well, i dont know about that. surely it would all depend on who exactly was judging such feats. Natalya Demkina is probably a good case in point.
    Natalya was given seven diagnoses written by doctors and was required to match at least five of these to the corresponding patient in order to prove that her abilities were unusual enough to warrant further testing. In the event Demkina was able to match only four of the seven correctly and thus the researchers concluded that she had failed the test and left it at that.

In reality, I'd say the goalposts can always be moved if Randi ever feared losing his million

Advertisement