Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did God make us so that we are unconscious for a third of our lives?

Options
  • 09-04-2010 7:55pm

This thought has always bothered me.. If I created the perfect world and created man, it would never strike me as a good idea to make that person unconscious for a third of their lives. The idea wouldn't even come into my head.

It's just something that makes no sense to me.. It would be like making a computer that has to sleep for 8 hours a day. It's just not as good as a computer than can run 24 hours a day. This is the guy who created the sun and the stars, the mountains and lakes and everything in between. He surely could have let us be awake all the time.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

God didn't create the world perfect - I would have thought all the lies and wars and tsunamis would have been evidence of that. In Genesis the word good is used to describe creation, this does not denote perfection. We sleep because of the physical limitations of our bodies and minds. I enjoy sleep. I don't see a problem with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

God didn't create the world perfect - I would have thought all the lies and wars and tsunamis would have been evidence of that. In Genesis the word good is used to describe creation, this does not denote perfection. We sleep because of the physical limitations of our bodies and minds. I enjoy sleep. I don't see a problem with it.

Then why didn't "God" just do a little jig and make the world perfect again? If he can't, then he isn't all powerfull and therefore not worthy of worship.

If he just doesn't(But can) then he's just an asshole, and still not worthy of worship.

If it's because he wants to "Test" us, then that's a load of bull. What's the test? It's like rolling a dice, there's so many religions to follow, all pretty much the same, how is that a fair test? And why bother testing us anyway?

cypharius wrote: »
    Then why didn't "God" just do a little jig and make the world perfect again? If he can't, then he isn't all powerfull and therefore not worthy of worship.

If he just doesn't(But can) then he's just an asshole, and still not worthy of worship.

If it's because he wants to "Test" us, then that's a load of bull. What's the test? It's like rolling a dice, there's so many religions to follow, all pretty much the same, how is that a fair test? And why bother testing us anyway?

Are you actually interested in hearing a response?

Are you actually interested in hearing a response?

Yes, quite interested. The only responses to the epicurious riddle I've ever heard are super-fundies saying "God is something more".

Then I would point you to meaning of the resurrection.

• Advertisement

Then I would point you to meaning of the resurrection.

That is the single worst response ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

This thought has always bothered me.. If I created the perfect world and created man, it would never strike me as a good idea to make that person unconscious for a third of their lives.

Thoughts?
    Who is to say that sleep time is not perfection? Don't you just love to sleep-in on a weekend morning? I dream a lot too, and some of them can be very entertaining indeed! And when you are very close to someone, where do you invite them to join you? And afterwords you share that sleep with them, which can be bonding?

Relaxing sleep can be a form of meditation, as well as a time to consolidate things learned while awake. Highly inventive Ben Franklin used to keep a pen and pad of paper by his bedside to capture ideas that emerged from a sleeping state.

To the contrary, if there be a Creator, and they failed to include sleep in our life cycle, I would think that they goofed when making us, leaving out a vital part. Certainly beats being a fictional "Twilight New Moon" vampire that can never enjoy or benefit from sleep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

The subject of this thread is why God created sleep, so anyone overly impressed by Epicurus' simplistic reasoning can take their debate on theodicy elsewhere.

Personally I enjoy the occasional nap - and I'm very grateful that God created us with the capacity, and need, for sleep.

Now some of you need to go to bed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

On some other thread - I forget which one - Someone said "Sleep is a tool of the Devil, made to keep us from living life to the full." I replied, "Sleep is a tool of God, made to keep us from falling into sin."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Sancte Raphael

Sleep is like a dress rehearsal for that final sleep, death. We rise again in the morning (hopefully) and so we hope to rise again in Christ after our death to face that eternal day with the Lord in the Beatific Vision. Which reminds me, tomorrow I must go to Confession in preparation for Divine Mercy Sunday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Ehh because god didn't make us!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

This thought has always bothered me.. If I created the perfect world and created man, it would never strike me as a good idea to make that person unconscious for a third of their lives. The idea wouldn't even come into my head.

Are we to assume that just because you wouldn't have done it this way that it shouldn't have been done this way?
    It's just something that makes no sense to me..

Do you not enjoy sleep or something?
    It would be like making a computer that has to sleep for 8 hours a day.

I leave my PC on all day but I've set to go into standby or sleep mode after 1 hour of non use. That conserves energy and is good for the planet and my wallet. Still think sleep is a bad idea?
    This is the guy who created the sun and the stars, the mountains and lakes and everything in between. He surely could have let us be awake all the time.

You start out with the assumption that creating sleep is somehow some kind of weakness. From whence comes that assumption of yours? And why should be go along with it?
    Thoughts?

You just got them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If you left your computer on 24 hours a day it wouldnt last long, same as the human body. Our mind and body need rest, its simple biology. Sleep is where the body repairs itself. I wouldnt want to be awake 24 hours a day, I love my bed :D

I enjoy sleep. I don't see a problem with it.
    That's because we live in an easy world now.. We know we're not going to get attacked or anything while asleep.
    Thomas828 wrote: »
    On some other thread - I forget which one - Someone said "Sleep is a tool of the Devil, made to keep us from living life to the full." I replied, "Sleep is a tool of God, made to keep us from falling into sin."

So falling into sin is how to live life to the full? Sounds about right to me. Religion has only ever restricted life and science.
    bryaner wrote: »
    Ehh because god didn't make us!

I know I know. I just wandered in here seeing what would happen.
    Are we to assume that just because you wouldn't have done it this way that it shouldn't have been done this way?

Do you not enjoy sleep or something?

I leave my PC on all day but I've set to go into standby or sleep mode after 1 hour of non use. That conserves energy and is good for the planet and my wallet. Still think sleep is a bad idea?

You start out with the assumption that creating sleep is somehow some kind of weakness. From whence comes that assumption of yours? And why should be go along with it?

You just got them.

Pro-tip.. Quoting every line of a persons post and trying to pick it apart makes your argument weak and ineffective. It's stupid to try insinuate that every word a person said is wrong.. Pick a key point or two and counter them because to be honest, I didn't even read your post properly. I just jumped to the conclusion that it was more than likely going to be complete tripe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Why did God make us so that we are unconscious for a third of our lives?

So that those who believe in Him can dream on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

It's just something that makes no sense to me.. It would be like making a computer that has to sleep for 8 hours a day. It's just not as good as a computer than can run 24 hours a day. This is the guy who created the sun and the stars, the mountains and lakes and everything in between. He surely could have let us be awake all the time.

Thoughts?

It depends on whether you are a Creationist or not doesn't it?

Some animals sleep because they have evolved to. We actually do quite a bit of interesting things when we are asleep, such as process the information we obtained that day and run simulations around it as to how we would act in certain situations (aka dreaming)

If you are a Christian who accepts evolution, as most are, then we are the result of evolution just like every other animal on the planet and thus we sleep because of the survival benefit it gave us and our ancestor species.

If you are a Creationist it is a some what different answer, but creationists don't really have an answer for why we do anything (eat, sleep, poop) so their answer is even simplier, because God wants us that way.

To be honest, I don't understand how it's possible to believe in Jesus but not believe in Creationism. Picking and choosing bits of the bible to believe is a complete cop out.

To be honest, I don't understand how it's possible to believe in Jesus but not believe in Creationism. Picking and choosing bits of the bible to believe is a complete cop out.

Lucky for you there is a massive thread just over there for that discussion :pac:

As for this discussion rest assured that people do believe in Jesus and accept the standard scientific history of the world, including evolution of humans from earlier forms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭potsy86

to be honest would you actually want to be awake 24hrs a day you would go insane every one needs rest to recharge i love my sleep i wouldn change it for anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

That is off-topic here, so I suggest you either take it to the Creationism thread, or talk to a few Christians and find out what they actually believe and why it isn't a cop out.

• Advertisement

potsy86 wrote: »
    to be honest would you actually want to be awake 24hrs a day you would go insane every one needs rest to recharge i love my sleep i wouldn change it for anything

That is some what circular. We need to rest and recharge because we have evolved to sleep. Some animals never sleep

PDN wrote: »
    That is off-topic here, so I suggest you either take it to the Creationism thread, or talk to a few Christians and find out what they actually believe and why it isn't a cop out.

My thread, I'll go off topic if I like.. Might read up on it and see how the concept of believing both can actually work.

My thread, I'll do whatever I like.

Oh this isn't going to end well ... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

This thought has always bothered me.. If I created the perfect world and created man, it would never strike me as a good idea to make that person unconscious for a third of their lives. Thoughts?

It's evolution. I lean towards the Buddhists who believe in reincarnation, but I believe it's a journey that we've all taken to this level.

That is we started out low life forms and ascend to the next level when ready, that may mean staying in a lower life form for several lifetimes and some may never make the jumps.

I do not believe we come back as lower life forms, I believe we've already been there, at some time we are ready for the awakening and we take that jump ~

Some theorists who believe in this scenario use it to show that we may be in Hell or Purgatory on this Earth as, as MAN, we have reached the top of the evolution tree but are still so far from ascendency.

I don't think GOD has anything to do with it, it's another mechanism, we don't really know about it, but I feel it exists despite religious interpretations of this state ~ ie like being a good boy, saying your prayer and going to Heaven ~ you'll achieve awakening, when you are ready to, and a lifetime or two of prayers and devotion is not going to assist or change that.

My thread, I'll go off topic if I like.. Might read up on it and see how the concept of believing both can actually work.

You have made nearly 4,000 posts and you still don't understand the basic operations of Boards! Take a deep breath and consider that wont be best for you to continue down this route. If you want to read up on the matter further might I suggest visiting here (audio links here) or you can read up on the Wiki article on theistic evolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭vodafoneproblem

I like to think it's to give us a daily break from the trials and tribulations of life. Rich or poor, we all get to sleep, and most enjoy it. Or what Soul Winner said about it being a reminder of our mortality.

Religion has only ever restricted life and science.

That's a shockingly ignorant statement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_thinkers_in_science

Not to mention major contributions to education, healthcare, morals, law, art, architecture and many other areas.

That's a shockingly ignorant statement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_thinkers_in_science

Not to mention major contributions to education, healthcare, morals, law, art, architecture and many other areas.

Galileo?

See Conflict Thesis for a little more on this. I really must check out some of Ronald Numbers work on this area (this talk was promising).

Galileo?

Listen to the talk.

• Advertisement

Galileo?

Listen to the talk or perhaps read this.

Advertisement