Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT and E on your tires

Options
  • 08-04-2010 7:49pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Listening to "Talk to Joe" there today and woman on about how her tires failed the NCT due to no "E" Appearing on the tire.

I have my tires about 2 months and there is no sign of an E.

Any idea of what the hell she was on about?

If my tires don't have an E does that mean it will fail the NCT and that I will need to fork out again.

:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The E means they meet the required criteria for being a safe tire, if there's no E then there likely to be a cheap non brand tire that dont meet the required regulations/criteria

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

See the pretty picture on page 37 of the latest version of the NCT Manual downloadable from the NCT website.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

• Registered Users Posts: 47 MONEY_MAKER

there is going to be alot of people who are going to be caught with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭bog master

Good rule/law in theory, to prevent poorly made tyres into the market, or is it?

Who ends up paying, if they get "non e Stamped tyres"? Is it illegal to sell these tyres? Or does the poor, possibly ill informed, possibly ignorant, possibly shamelessly unaware consumer have to foot the bill?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭GTE

You can find those E stamps (E marks I think they are usually called) on a few parts of the car.

Headlights are the only other one that I can think of off the top of my head. I think the glass on the car too.

I was going to get new headlights but was put off by cheap ones that didnt come with the E mark.

Lightbulbs too have them. The big no no about the LED bulbs is that none can get the E mark in anyway at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭GTE

bog master wrote: »
    Good rule/law in theory, to prevent poorly made tyres into the market, or is it?

Who ends up paying, if they get "non e Stamped tyres"? Is it illegal to sell these tyres? Or does the poor, possibly ill informed, possibly ignorant, possibly shamelessly unaware consumer have to foot the bill?

Crossover period? As in, since they are being sold now or in the last few months let the ones on the cars now run their course and ban the sale of them now.

During the crossover period drivers arent badly given out to or fined for having them but after that then yes (probably better that they have to keep proof of purchase so the guards can find who sells them to the people you speak of) . And anyone caught selling them from day one have to pay up. I wonder what to do with current stock though. .

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭bog master

bbk wrote: »
    Crossover period? As in, since they are being sold now let the ones on the current cars run their course and bad the sale of them now.

During the crossover period drivers arent badly given out to or fined for having them but after that then yes. And anyone caught selling them from day one have to pay up. I wonder what to do with current stock though. .

Fine idea, BUT do you think those in power will implement it? Do you envisage anyone being prosecuted? And current stock, good question!

Again, who ends up paying, the consumer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

tyrespec.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Thanks folks, good to get the NCT manual to see what I should be looking at! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

This made the nine o clock news - Everyone PANIC!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0413/tyres.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Just ban them now and be done with it. When you fail the NCT you will never forget to check the new tyre has an E mark on it. It's not like they havn't been selling them before so anyone going to a good tyre dealer will more than likely be sold an E marked tyre. Anyone going looking for cheap as possible justto get by will be stung by this new NCT requirement and good enough if they are driving on rubbish.

Before people moan I know not all tyres without the E mark are rubbish and crap but let's face it, quite an awful good few are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Out of curiosity when did this legislation come out

• Registered Users Posts: 81,266 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Out of curiosity when did this legislation come out

1st April.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The E mark has been mandatory in the EU since 1997, quite why its suddenly raised its head now is weird.

The reason i ask is I have 4 tyres on my 08 octavia. Am i covered under some warrenty...>?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

The reason i ask is I have 4 tyres on my 08 octavia. Am i covered under some warrenty...>?

I have 4 tyres on my car too. Funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

If you purchased your tyres recently & you still have your receipt it was recommended on the news tonight that you go back to your supplier to get replacements. Not sure how much joy you'll get though.

I would guess no. You would have to prove you didn't go and get the tyres changed yourself I would think?

My neighbour is always racing out his garden with his tyres squealing. Result is him having to change them more often. How would you go about proving you didn't drive like an idiot like my neighbour and went and got the tyres changed? You'd have a chance if it was on bought a couple of weeks maybe months ago or on good will.

Not saying you drive like a loon or anything and I could be way wrong on the warrenty and will stand corrected if somebody can shed light on it.

I have 4 tyres on my car too. Funny that.

Very funny. Obv you have not read all the story about the mark.
    If you purchased your tyres recently & you still have your receipt it was recommended on the news tonight that you go back to your supplier to get replacements. Not sure how much joy you'll get though.

no they are the original fitted tyres but milage is not high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Tefral

Alot of people dont realise that the "E" mark is sometimes on the inside face of the tyre too (the side facing underneath the car) this is particularly the case with asymmetrical tyres and non directional tyres

So before ya go dumping all your tyres check this too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

You are not due a NCT until 2012. I doubt any tyres woul last that long, so you have 2 years to get your E tyres. The wquestion of warranty will be well gone by then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

More money making bollocks from the government. Failing you because you don't have a letter on your tyres, failing you becuase you don't have the Irish on your reg. plate, etc. Shower of money hungry cúnts.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Max_Damage wrote: »
    More money making bollocks from the government. Failing you because you don't have a letter on your tyres, failing you becuase you don't have the Irish on your reg. plate, etc. Shower of money hungry cúnts.

Yep, they dived on this as quick as possible to gain revenue.:rolleyes:
    Ireland is the last country in Europe to start testing cars for the 'E-mark'

• Registered Users Posts: 81,266 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What are the purpose of tyres with no E Mark, are they simply unrated for use on EU roads or are they not for road use in any part of the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭emick

yop wrote: »
    Listening to "Talk to Joe" there today and woman on about how her tires failed the NCT due to no "E" Appearing on the tire.

I have my tires about 2 months and there is no sign of an E.

Any idea of what the hell she was on about?

If my tires don't have an E does that mean it will fail the NCT and that I will need to fork out again.

:mad:

What brand are your tyres and where did you buy them? Dealership or Tyre shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

What are the purpose of tyres with no E Mark, are they simply unrated for use on EU roads or are they not for road use in any part of the world?

The E-mark is a safety mark, it shows the tyre conforms to EU safety standards. A tyre without the mark has not been tested and certified that it meets a high level of safety. It's only a requirement within the EU, what standards non-EU countries use or don't use is up to themselves.

There have been rumours that the E-mark is only there to protect the European tyre manufacturers. That is not true, anybody can get the mark if their tyres are tested and shown to be up to scratch. I'd trust a tyre made in India with an E-mark a lot quicker than one made in France without it; at least I can trust it not to delaminate at 120kph after 6 mths.

That doesn't mean all unmarked tyres are bad, some may indeed be better, but that's not the point. The problem is that without the E-mark how is the public to know if its up to standard.

Everything relys on your tyres... braking, cornering, accelerating, straight line control. It would be fairly stupid for a vehicle test to continue ignoring them, now wouldn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

People will need to organise 'swappies' to fit onto their car just to pass the NuCT. Then swap them back when the car is passed.

That's what I imagine will happen with many a 'failed' car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Checked my Dad's 00 Micra earlier ...

Results:

Slovakian tyre: E!
    Korean Tyre: E!
    Korean Tyre: E!
    Chinese Tyre: No E! (unless it's on the inside ...)

Forgot to look at the spare ...

• Advertisement

he should really try to have the same tyre on each end of the car, just so it wears n tears at the same rate and has the same grip throughout the year

Advertisement