Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaelforce West 21/8/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

jesus fair play to all the people who came in in the 5 hour mar. I my self could only manage 7.18. All the time I was saying to my self im only doing it to finish it, but im still dissapointed at the time.:P Was a tough course though, but really enjoyed it! very surprised I was able to do the run at the start considering I havent ran since July and have a herniated disk in my back.

Managed to get my pic up on the large screen at the Octogon tho least thats something! lol. Oh, and what about having to go up that feckin hill into westport town after the race! they dont make it easy even after you're finished!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭elchupanebrey

DG22 wrote: »
    i suffered three four bouts of cramp in my legs on the the bike that made me lie on the middle off the road in unbelievable pain :D:D:D

For me it was yelping on the side of the road like a lunatic, fair play a few people asked if I was ok, no deep heat cream offered though.

The gels didn't go down easy either but they might be what got me to the top of CP.

No complaints about the route, though they'll probably have to do something about skelp if it continues to deteriorate. Didn't find the extra bit on the run too bad, ran it 8 mins quicker than last year despite the extra few km.

Overall very happy, now someone start a GF 2011 thread.:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

Congrats to all people involved in gaelforce, really feel you did a good job:D. I loved the fact that there was a variance between the road surfaces as that shakes it up a bit, especially as i was on a mt bike and ate up track on sheeffry downhill and the skelp:pac:. I did it in just over 6hrs for my first event I was proud.
    The support along the road was outstanding from people standing out in the rain and cold, never expected that. I found the run tough with my gammy knee but something inside tells you its gonna take a hell of a lot more to get me to quit.
    I will be doing this event next year all going well, plus other events organised by killary. Good show:)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Wonkagirl

The gels didn't go down easy either but they might be what got me to the top of CP.

i discovered the best bloody things ever- they're called 'power shots' by power bar. basically, gels in sweet form. they're like wine gums, and do the same job as the gels, but are so much more pallatable. Definitely got me up CP, and would use them again for sure. Mine were lemon flavoured, but apparenlty the cola flavoured ones are identical to cola bottles, they were sold out of them in Great Outdoors last week tho

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Wonkagirl wrote: »
    i discovered the best bloody things ever- they're called 'power shots' by power bar. basically, gels in sweet form. they're like wine gums, and do the same job as the gels, but are so much more pallatable. Definitely got me up CP, and would use them again for sure. Mine were lemon flavoured, but apparenlty the cola flavoured ones are identical to cola bottles, they were sold out of them in Great Outdoors last week tho

Yeah I had a pack of the cola ones in the pocket of my cycling top, it's true they are just like cola bottles. Oh and good for energy too.:D
    Unfortunately the pocket was hard to get into with the camelbeck in the way so I only managed to eat 4 or 5 of them, the rest were a soggy mess in my pocket at the end. Tasty soggy mess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭bikergal

Well done to everyone who finished yesterday. What a tough race! My second year doing it, finished slightly faster than last years time at 6.10, so was happy enough with that. It would have been nice to finish under the 6hrs. I think the last 800m run got me by surprise! I also had those powershots, they are great. I found it hard to eat sweet stuff all day so brought some muesli bars and fruit cake to nibble along the way. Well done to the organisers for a great race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 new2biking

Well I can't say I'm looking forward to seeing Croagh Patrick again! Really enjoyed the race but went too hard for the first 10k of the cycle and just died on the big hill, big mistake. Then I nearly killed myself on the big bike descent about 11kms into the first cycle. Went a bit too fast turning left at the little bridge and went flying on my snot. Smashed my handlebars and bent the shifter and brake lever. Managed to pick myself up and finished in 6hr 58 mins. Have nothing but admiration for those elites who finished in less than 4 hrs, some achievement.

A couple of criticisms though:

I didnt think tere were nearly enough marshals, seen a couple of people walking with smashed up bikes and God knows how long it took them to get any help. Also heard a guy saying that he missed the left turn to the road into CP as the marshal was taking a piss!!
    I also thought that CP was extremely dangerous on the descent.

Anyway for the moment I doubt I'll do it again as CP reallly pissed me off but I might change my mind over the next week or two. Well done to everybody:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I had them too Wonkagirl, i was lucky enough to get the cola flavour! Dam tasty hell of a lot nicer than the gells anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭dancecatz2000

Oh man that was great fun, my legs dont work today i can go upstairs but have to come down on my bum, was looking to beat last years time of 5hrs 3mins but failed, got 5hrs 7mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭famoussheamus

thehamo wrote: »
    I had them too Wonkagirl, i was lucky enough to get the cola flavour! Dam tasty hell of a lot nicer than the gells anyway!

i hate the gels so I found the power shots excellent, easy to eat and tasteee :p, kids polished off the bag when I got in... not a good idea when your tired and they are wired. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Adi CkonSh

locha wrote: »
    Hi Folks, Just a quick one to see if anyone say the teenager take a tumble on the reek yesterday... one of the worst accidents I have ever seen... he looked to be in a really bad way. Took some of the gloss out of the event, seeing that but all in all a really great day.

Didn't see the accident but was there when he was being rescued walked back down part of the way with one of his friends who was in shock. The kid had a head injury and shoulder injury but was carried off the mountain by mountain rescue, don't think they needed to air lift him in the end. Those mountain rescue boys and girls were busy yesterday as well as civil defence and all the marshalls. Fair play to them all for looking after us when we're out doing all this mad stuff and falling over. We couldn't do it without them.

My first Gaelforce and I loved and hated it, scared the life out of me in some parts, but overall glad I did it and hopefully I'll be back with more than the 3 months training I did this year. Only started training after doing the Connemara Challenge on a whim. 7.49 had hoped for under 7 but I majorly underestimated some of the terrain. Well done everyone, great day out.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 chem100479

Great day (but tough) day out. Well organised by Killary Adventure. I would echo sentiments above its an adventure race so the off road runs and cycles are all part of the adventure!
    It was my first GF and i was aiming for 5.40m but could only manage 5.59. Just under the 6hrs but although delighted to finish safely i'm disappointed with my time:(. I guess i'll be back in 2011 to improve my time. Well donw to everyone who did it!!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tipperdub

Adi CkonSh wrote: »
    Didn't see the accident but was there when he was being rescued walked back down part of the way with one of his friends who was in shock. The kid had a head injury and shoulder injury but was carried off the mountain by mountain rescue,

Saw the accident it happened beside me on my way down. Just before he fell his mate had done a kamakazi run down hill fell over and thought it was great craic. So he tried to do the same. He went head over heels and it looked like his head got stuck and his body weight and momentum threw his body through 180. A girl phoned straight away and another quick thining competitor got an emergency blanket out and told no one to move him. I met Mountain rescue a minute down hill and he radioed below for help. Also met the MR with Oxygen on way up to him and tried to direct them. Feel bad that he injured himself but he took a serious risk and was lucky not to knock himself or someone else off the reek. MR at the base told me he was doing ok.

Anyone know what happend the other person that was taken out in the heli ? was it a runner ?

GAel force was amazing tough but a great feeling to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 earsandasmile

:confused:
    Haven't read the race reports yet but well done to all of you.

1st. Padraig Marrey
    2nd. Peter O'Farrell (9 seconds behind)
    3rd. Thomas something?! (O'Dowd?)
    4th. Eoin Keith
    6th. Paul Mahon

I didn't find the offroad part too bad. I didn't have to get off once. I was very glad that I didn't get a puncture though. Found the first run quite tough but my stomach settled down after that and the rest of the race was pretty good for me.

Registration was much better than last year and I didn't see anybody not carrying their mandatory kit so that was cool.

How did all the Boardsies do?!

I was a GF virgin and got around in 4:51. The whole experience has been fantastic and I will definately be back next year. Thanks to all on here for the valuable advice.

Well done to the organisers. My only crib was the off-road section on the final cycle. But I suppose that's what puts the Adventure in Adventure racing.

What does it take to get your time down to sub four hours?http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Rinker

Had a great day out yesterday. found the course really challenging but managed to beat my target of 5 hrs. Came in after 4hrs 42mins and was really pleased with that. Wouldn't have thought it'd have been possible 6 months ago after close to 20 years without any exercise.
    The first run was a great start for me. Enjoyed the time out at the kayaks and everything up to to the bog road went well. I was cramping really badly by the end of that road and also after getting back on bike after CP. also had to spend 5 mins looking for my bike after coming down the mountain. The mind must get very tired too in these events. I nearly cried when i saw the quays and I was so happy to be coming towards the finish.
    A big thanks to all the boardies for all the advice over the past couple of months.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 254 ✭✭Excuseless

:confused:

I was a GF virgin and got around in 4:51. The whole experience has been fantastic and I will definately be back next year. Thanks to all on here for the valuable advice.

Well done to the organisers. My only crib was the off-road section on the final cycle. But I suppose that's what puts the Adventure in Adventure racing.

What does it take to get your time down to sub four hours?http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.gif

Sub 5 is a great time first time out E& S!

How to go sub 4 hrs is certainly more difficult now with the course changes which prob add on 12++ mins and is probably the subject of a good book which I will leave it up to others to write but some AR tips lower down on page at this link might help a bit:
    http://www.msai.ie/adventure-race-ireland-organiser.php

Seems to have been a helluva battle up front with Peter X looking like he had it in the bag after a great CP ascent only to have Padraig close him down on the descent - he admitted last night to have seen the "red mist" when Tomás O Dowd passed him too on CP so he let fly on the descent and the rest is history:)
    TOD is certainly one to watch in the future.

My own race went well given a fairly slow starting run which had me in something like 16th I reckon at end of first run and then I just kept picking up places all the way home from there.
    Only one to (re) pass me was Diarmuid Collins when I took a spill on the Skelp descent and I had trouble with jammed brakes and chain which took me a couple of mins to sort out but I saw the red mist :mad: too at the possibility of losing a hard earned place and passed him out again before the end of the bike section and I don't think I would have managed to get 5th even w/o the crash and bike probs.

Well done all for completing and hopefully many boardies will be out for more at Roar and WAR next month!

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Hi Guys
    Sounds like you all ran really good races. This has been a really great thread and I've learned a lot from it. My race was completely different from what you guys experienced. I knew I was going to be slow but didnt quite expect it to be as tough as it was. It started with the fact that despite the fact I was only a few yards off the back of the group they let the next wave down to the beach before I hit the corner so I was stampeded by everyone trying to get to the start :)

At many times during the race I wanted to give up but I kept seeing people I knew or meeting people who were really encouraging and I have to say the people outside their houses were fantastic. I also enjoyed the crack along the way with fellow competitors...at one stage I ended up waist deep in the bog and flat on my face up to my shoulders in it so many thanks to the girl who came back and hauled me out ::

I had the mortifying experience of being the last competitor over the finish line with the Civil Defence following me on the last cycle with the flashers on :rolleyes: I finished at 20.51 last night at a time of 10 hours 27 minutes (my mates had to put our dinner reservation back 2 times!!) and I have to say that given the way I felt at times I am delighted to have finished at all!! I agree that the powershot cola sweets are fantastic as i scoffed a handful of them on the last cycle and was somehow miraculously overcome with the ability to jog the last 800m despite not really being able to jog at all....

What a day & lots of excitement! I think it was really well done with the exception of the lack of afterparty. i think it would have been a lot better if this had been organised as we were hoping to meet up with people we had met on the route but didnt see them.

I may have been slow but you know at the end of the day -3200 people signed up and only 2301 finished the race according to my print out- 61 people didnt do Croke Patrick and 38 didnt finish so just under 800 didnt even make it to the start line.... and sure doesnt 10.27 give me a great target to beat next year....looking forward to seeing next years tips already! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 new2biking

Fi H wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Sounds like you all ran really good races. This has been a really great thread and I've learned a lot from it. My race was completely different from what you guys experienced. I knew I was going to be slow but didnt quite expect it to be as tough as it was. It started with the fact that despite the fact I was only a few yards off the back of the group they let the next wave down to the beach before I hit the corner so I was stampeded by everyone trying to get to the start :)

At many times during the race I wanted to give up but I kept seeing people I knew or meeting people who were really encouraging and I have to say the people outside their houses were fantastic. I also enjoyed the crack along the way with fellow competitors...at one stage I ended up waist deep in the bog and flat on my face up to my shoulders in it so many thanks to the girl who came back and hauled me out ::

I had the mortifying experience of being the last competitor over the finish line with the Civil Defence following me on the last cycle with the flashers on :rolleyes: I finished at 20.51 last night at a time of 10 hours 27 minutes (my mates had to put our dinner reservation back 2 times!!) and I have to say that given the way I felt at times I am delighted to have finished at all!! I agree that the powershot cola sweets are fantastic as i scoffed a handful of them on the last cycle and was somehow miraculously overcome with the ability to jog the last 800m despite not really being able to jog at all....

What a day & lots of excitement! I think it was really well done with the exception of the lack of afterparty. i think it would have been a lot better if this had been organised as we were hoping to meet up with people we had met on the route but didnt see them.

I may have been slow but you know at the end of the day -3200 people signed up and only 2301 finished the race according to my print out- 61 people didnt do Croke Patrick and 38 didnt finish so just under 800 didnt even make it to the start line.... and sure doesnt 10.27 give me a great target to beat next year....looking forward to seeing next years tips already! ;)

Well done mate, u should be really proud of yourself for sticking it out. I agree an afterparty wud've been nice however Matt Molloys was kicking last night and full of Gaelforcers too(some very attractive ones aswell:))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

first time doin it , longest race ever done , closest to that was 10km , so was tough , went out slower than i could have maybe , wanted to be cautious , when i got to kayak was dying for toilet , couldnt do the bush job on the way , like the lads , when i came out all the people i was runnin with had gone so waited for next bunch , was diibed back in and i was left without partner for bout two minutes till one other guy came
    didnt really have targets then on second run , at bike trans had to change the shoes which was a bad idea , bike was really tough , had done it before but with extra weight and 14km in legs already found it tough
    my decent was so crap too , cp was fine , made good progress there , prob could have taken a quicker route down , time wastin with shoes again though , last bike was tough , chain came off and couldnt get it back on , and ran into a metal trailer , was floored , legs ruined , bit dazzled after it , came in in 4.57 , was aimin for sub 5 , so happy out , didnt think i was on target cause had no track of time , garmin went to the wayside , will def be back , loads of room for improvement , didnt really have issue with bike terrain , assume thats normal for adventure race ,

changes

cleats to straps
    smaller pack , maybe bum bag
    replace luzosade sport drink to 4 in 1 energy drink : made me too thrist
    remove energy bars from nutition
    get proper trail runners
    looker for alternative route down cp

thanks to all the organisers and the posters here for advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Daily Bread

I thought the new route changes were good, the bog road was challenging as I had a roadbike with 23mm tyres. but they took the beating. Considering the length of this section I think its worth risking a puncture as to walk it would significantly slow you down. If you practice changing a tube you can do it in 3min no problem.

I thought the organisers did a good job this year. They obviously listened to the harsh feedback from last years event. The finish was good, although I gave it everything coming in the quays and when I realised I had to run another 500m I had to dig deep. I like the little unknowns and believe it is an important part of a true 'adventure race'. I'm sure a few of you remember climbing over fallen trees and crawling hands and knees through bushes in the grounds of Westport house at the end of the 2007 race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 diff

Hey, Came across this video on line. I think it captures the torture!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ43w5HlsLA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Well done to all the finishers, particularly to Fi H for sticking at it and getting home. That's the spirit that makes GF such a great and unique event.
    My own race was both rewarding and frustrating. My plan was to take it handy on the run, walking up the steep hills, so as not to aggravate a knee injury I've had on and off for the past 3 months. This meant walking early on when I could easily have run. I was in a late wave and this resulted in my dropping back amongst walkers as we met the killary. When people started to walk in single file I couldn't pass so I ended up walking a lot more than I intended.
    Anyway the kayak was ok, steering was a problem as I had never sat in one before so apologies to the Corkman who was unfortunate enough to be my paddling partner. The second run I found tedious, the bog was pure muck so it would have been an advantage to get out earlier I think. I almost kissed the bike when I saw it, cycling is meant to be my strongest suit so with the south west wind I expected to make good time on the run to the reek. Sure enough as I sped up the valley the first twenty or so people I saw I passed easily, I was feeling strong. The run was over, knee still intact and nothing could stop me breaking the 6 hour target I had set myself. Being a local I had done the rest of the course a few times so I knew what was in store. Then disaster struck as I was hit by the worst cramps I have ever known. Almost fell in my haste to get off the bike and attempt to straighten out my afflicted calves. This was the pattern for the rest of the cycle, I'd pass everyone in sight only to have them all pass me again 5 minutes later as I got on and off the bike. I cycled up all the steep hills but ended up walking down for a while as I tried to get food, electrolyte into me. I lost a lot of time on the desent into Drummin which normally I can power through as i know the road there pretty well. When I finally reached the reek I fely ok again and did a reasonable climb, 48 mins up, exactly the same as the last two times i did it. A bit slow coming down, an agonising minute or so trying to remember where the bike was and a controlled charge home to Westport. Wasn't at all impressed with the final 500m run and started to cramp again. Jogged to the line in 6.07. Ok, I guess, I've just turned 40 and never ran anywhere before last winter. Could have been better with more planning and preparation. Next year.
    Went in to the prizegiving and had a great night with family and friends. The first person I met was Noel Brady who won the supervets in under 4 hours. I believe he's 54. He told me exactly what I should have done to avoid cramp. Now he tells me. He's a great athlete and a super nice guy as anyone will tell you. I was delighted that so many of the prizes were won by Westport people. I suppose local knowledge and the oppertunity to train on the course counts for a lot. Got my photo taken with Noel and a few other friends, hope it'll be in the Mayo News next week. Had a few pints and enjoyed the band and the fire jugglers, everyone was in great form.
    Got up early this morning and felt surprisingly good. No major aches. Went online and registered for the Achill Roar, expert class. Does one race make me an expert?
    Drove to Wicklow where I'm taking a week holiday with the wife and kids. We brought the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 diff

Hey found this video on net. I think it captures the torture!!

http://bit.ly/buTREU

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Well, after my horrendous registration gaffe I managed to sneak in under a cheeky transfer (sorry organisers) and got to race after all. It was my first adventure race, and what a race it was! Loved the first run, though I took my time on it, hated the kayaking because I've very poor upper body strength, enjoyed the bog run, really liked the cycle until the dreaded final stretch, and it was simply one foot in front of the other up CP. Flew home on the last stretch to make it in 5.36, which I was thrilled with, as I had no idea how I'd fare.

I did it on a mtb with slicks, and I have to say I don't think I'd change. I was in the 8am wave (from Westport, so started running at 10ish) and I found I was passing out more than were passing me even on the sealed roads and obviously on the off-road tracks I passed out a heap of people. Surprised to hear people giving out about this stretch all the same - it is an adventure race after all, and I thought it was made clear in advance that this stretch would be on gravel roads? Plus, there's always the mtb...

It was unbelievably tough, and every one of my limbs ached at the finish, but a truly immense feeling crossing the line. Had two gels and gagged on both, so the Power Shots will be out in force next year!

So all in all - hats off to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Vitamin C

Yeah I had a pack of the cola ones in the pocket of my cycling top, it's true they are just like cola bottles. Oh and good for energy too.:D
    Unfortunately the pocket was hard to get into with the camelbeck in the way so I only managed to eat 4 or 5 of them, the rest were a soggy mess in my pocket at the end. Tasty soggy mess.

I met a fella in the octagon on Saturday night and he was telling me he was eating chocolate espresso beans...bleedin mentaller, I'd be twitching for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭toomuchdetail

The "I knew I was in trouble " moment for me yesterday was when an older man in his bare feet with the longest toe nails I have seen outside of a barn passed me climbing the reek , it was a shocker :eek: and knocked the arse out of my already knocked out arse.

Training wasn't good enough and tank was empty when asked.All the gels/C02 cannisters etc in the world wount fix that .

Some great results here and more so some personal triumphs .

Anyone on here have my bicycle pump , gave it to 2-3 people on the main road as they huddle around a puncture , my day was shot at that stage so had nothing to lose by giving it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

Is it true that the event (well, the elites anyway!) was televised by Setanta, and anyone any idea when it will be broadcast? Would love to see the elites in action, especially up and down CP and that exciting finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Hey all,

Can't believe its over after all the worry and fears if I'd make it to the finish or not. I came in just over 8 hours and Im delighted. The course was really really tough. I enjoyed the run and felt the second half of the cycle wore me out. The weather was shocking on CP by the time we got there and it was really unnerving to see the rescue helicopter brought in. How many people were rescued by them yesterday around CP? I hope that lad who fell was taken down by the mountain rescue team was ok. Did the helicopter rescue 2 others?

I think I'd do it again but I'd need to be much fitter and I'll need to get over my CP experience. I just didnt feel safe up there.

So Im relieved and happy I did it. The goal was to finish and cross the line under my own steam. I've a PB to beat now...

Thanks for all the help, tips, advice and support to everyone on this thread!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 irishpirate

im trying to find out what the average womens completion time is- any idea where i could find this?

was surprised to read that women qualify as elite if they complete it in under 5.5 hours as opposed to mens 4.5 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Fitzilicious

Woo hoo.....done and dusted!

Great day, loved it....well most of it!!
    Did it in just over 6 which was over a 40 min improvement on last year, delighted with that considering the longer course and the new cycle!
    Hit the deck twice on the bike, once on the road up to CP and then on the scelp....scary with bike shoes!
    Chain came off but thankfully no punctures!

Hit a bog hole after the Kayak...thanks to the 2 guys who pulled me out....would still be there now without their help!!
    Took the path for CP....made a huge difference, flew up and down!!
    Took me awhile to find my bike after CP....they need to organise that a bit better!

800m run at the end was not cool...especially with half the bog in my trail runners!!

All in all great day out and fantastic weather!

Well done to all who competed...great achievement! :D

Advertisement