Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do you ever knowingly break any rules of the road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

-amber gambler

:D The rule book says stop unless its not safe to do so but in my opinion why take the chance when you see that orange drive it like your late for mass!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

I overtake in bus lanes, break the speed limit a bit - mainly when overtaking in bus lanes, the odd red light if it's very quiet and there's no cops around, go anticlockwise around roundabouts, that sort of thing :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

^^^ The roundabouts thing is only for stupid little roundabouts in estates when there's clearly no one else coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Lisnagry

When did they bring in rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I speed. Often.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

Other than a little speeding, sometimes if no one is around late at night I'll turn with a LUAS if the light is red at a certain junction.
    Its hard to explain so here's a pic
    Belgard.jpg

If the LUAS is crossing the junction the Lights for turning in the shown directions are green. However late at night sometimes they stay red, so when the LUAS is crossing the junction, I'll proceed with the turn. These are the only 2 lights that'll go green with a LUAS, the rest are red, so technically no danger, and they would normally be green anyways. If the LUAS is nearly off the junction I won't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

I often speed, but only with what I feel safe for the conditions. I do all the other things most people do. Except I indicate at roundabouts, if you don't you're a cúnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭marious

using phone while driving
    speeding a bit ( remembering that your speed meter showing always couple of km/h more then you actually doing)
    undertaking from time to time

PS
    using indicators always , sometimes I'm too lazy to look around and in the mirrors looking for other cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Rules are for other people:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

All bikers use the bus lane and overtake on solid white lines.

I don't think there is a rule that says do not overtake when there is a white line, I think the rule stipulates not to cross said white line.

In practice this means that on many roads (I'm thinking N roads) it is possible for a bike to overtake with full visibility and room and not break the law.

There are "no overtaking" signs though that may coincide with solid white lines.

Open to clarification on the above, but I love making progress on my own side of the road especially when a large queue has formed because everyone is too close to the "speed limit police" at the head of the queue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Berty wrote: »
    Mostly speeding(Not in the Micra - it cant) but I will cruise along in the left lane of the 3 lane section of the N7 as all the morons kill each other outside.

I've got all my traffic infringment fines/point when driving the micra!! Got a speeding fine in it before points came in and got 2 point in it for passing out a b0llix of a guard 3 and half yrs ago.

And like the majority here ya I knowingly break plenty of the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

On big roundabouts with 2 lanes and more than the normal 4 exits, rules go out the window. Every time I go round the portlaoise/cork road roundabout above the motorway in my truck, nobody indicates, nobody does anything except treat the whole roundabout like a circular dual carriageway.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I speed on the open road/motorway. I pass people on the left, but only when provoked.

I tend not to run lights: I'm very often the first to stop at an amber/red light. Being at the front means I usually catch up to traffic pretty quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

^^^ The roundabouts thing is only for stupid little roundabouts in estates when there's clearly no one else coming.
    haha me too didnt want to say this because i was afraid i'd get a bollocking for doing something deliberately stupid,but it is good fun,does deliberately parking across 2 parking spaces count as breaking a rule?and another thing i do is i make illegal left or right turns when it clearly says no turn,left turn onto samuel beckett bridge when driving on north wall quay springs to mind as an illegal turn i make too often http://www.dublincity.ie/Press/Documents/SK-3004_Rev_D.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I'm do everything by the book bar speed limits, I will jump 2 lanes to overtake someone on a 3 lane Dual Carriageway, only in emergencies do I undertake when someone is hogging the overtaking lane, normally I do the "indicating right" thing which gets most people out of the way into the driving lane:)! Oh and if no-one is behind me I will yield rather than stop at stop lines but only if I have a good view of the road ahead, if visibility is in any way limited then I will always stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,485 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

ignore 90% of speed limits
    undertake when "forced" to do so but muppets in the wrong lane
    text the odd time

that pretty much it, follow the rest of them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭Wossack

a couple..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

nereid wrote: »
    I don't think there is a rule that says do not overtake when there is a white line, I think the rule stipulates not to cross said white line.

In practice this means that on many roads (I'm thinking N roads) it is possible for a bike to overtake with full visibility and room and not break the law.

There are "no overtaking" signs though that may coincide with solid white lines.

Open to clarification on the above, but I love making progress on my own side of the road especially when a large queue has formed because everyone is too close to the "speed limit police" at the head of the queue.

All true, its quite possible to overtake on a bike without necessarily crossing the white line. That being said, the rules and road markings as they stand are there specifically for cars. There are plenty of situations I can think of where a bike can easily do something that a car can't but would be considered illegal.

As for the OP.

I speed. A lot. Where I deem appropriate. And give Gatso Vans the finger.

I also undertake loads, mainly on the M50 now that three lanes have come in. But I like to undertake, grab their attention, give them the finger and then drive off. I don't know if they get the message but it satisfies me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Speed limits is the only thing I usually break but only by a few km's. Other then that I'm Mr Perfect on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Alias G

Lot of folks on here seem to have no problem admitting to breaking the rules of the road when it suits them. I'll certainly remember that next time the lads and lassies of the motors forum decide to have another cyclist's etiquette bashing thread.:P:D
    Personnelly I'm sure I exceed the speed limit on occasions and guilty of using the phone on occasions.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Kanye

1st wrote: »
    I often put the Pay & Display ticket upside down just to annoy the traffic wardens.
    I think they can give you a ticket for that. They give them in Greystones if your ticket's not on the dashboard and the right way up.

I don't know how they justify that because the dashboard can be looked at from pretty much any angle, so we're supposed to predict where the warden is looking from? I've also gotten a ticket for having the printout stuck at the top of the driver's window.

Now, if I park in the town I just don't bother paying because it'll probably cost me at least €40 and if I pay for the parking, that's at least €40.20c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Kanye wrote: »
    I think they can give you a ticket for that. They give them in Greystones if your ticket's not on the dashboard and the right way up.
    No they can't. They would be laughed out of court for wasting a judge's time.

You do know my original post was intended as humerous and that I would never do anything as outrageous as that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

Dont really pay much care or attention to whether im breaking the rules of the road or not as I am constantly texting or talking on the mobile.
    Im constantly in a rush so I go as fast as I can whenever I can.
    If you want to drive slow and carefully then iv no time for that your only holding the show up.
    If the traffic lights are red and nobodys coming then why waste time.
    If you are going to be dilly dalling coming up to a roundabout, then Im just gonna pass you out cos you are going to be in my way when you come off the roundabout.
    Dont beep at me when I park on the yellow boxes, if you were quick enough you would have manovered onto the road all ready anyway i cant see you out my black windows.
    Why let buses out in front, sure they are only going to stop on ahead anyway.
    Continous white lines are only there for slow cars, iv got a supped up motor so Im going to make it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

You know that scene in Liar Liar when the copper stops him and asks him did he know why...:o

I don't speed often but on a dry night on the bendy stuff on the way home from a nightclub I would lose licence instantly

Cut corners at night
    Use my front fogs when it ain't foggy
    Driving without tax for months on end
    Driving over weight
    Driving with no DoE/NCT (and I'm a tester :o)
    Driving without tacho card/charts
    Doughnuts at crossroads in my younger days. In fact everywhere.
    I once drove a trcuk with no windscreen 14 miles. That was very very cold.

Gonna stop now incase me mammy sees this, she'd ground me for sure

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

(nervously stands up)

My name is kbannon and I'm a compulsive speeder.

(quickly sits back down)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

dont-feed-troll.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

Just back from a trip to the UAE - Now there's a place where the rule book goes out the window. It makes us here look like angels. While I was there, I drove like a local, so I probably broke every rule in the book.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭bigbadbear

This forum makes me feel like I'm not a lunatic. Oh god I love speed! LOVE IT! Being Irish i believe rules are only there to guide us.:pac:

I despise people to death who cross solid white lines though. T'is bad form altogether!! Unless they were painted wrong that is............

Advertisement