Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How bad was she robbed?

Options
  • 08-04-2010 6:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭

The womans car wouldn't start so she went across the road to a garage asked a guy could he look at it. Guy came over still wouldn't start so he said he just bring it to the garage stick it on a machine to find what was the. The problem? A fuss needed changing, charged her 75.

Gonna have a word later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

They charge ya for putting it on the computer then for supplying the fuse then labour for the time both took

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭pounder770

I hope the word will be "Thanks for dropping what you were doing,and getting the missus on the road". That's what he did,and what he charged for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Can't see any issue here, her car was broken and it was fixed for 70 euro.

Seems fair to me. The fact that it was a fuse is irrelevant, the charge is for the expertise and equipment needed to diagnose the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

That mechanic is a rip off merchant. He screwed that woman out of about €73.50. Ok so he took 5 minutes of his time too, big deal, I'm sure he can make some real money from the next person who actually has a real problem.

I know a mechanic who'd have charged nothing for that. If he charged €20 it would be more than enough

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Guy came over still wouldn't start so he said he just bring it to the garage stick it on a machine to find what was the. The problem? A fuss needed changing, charged her 75.
    So... the guy came out, couldn't fix it, brought the car to the garage, and fixed the problem? If it was such a small part, why didn't you fix it? And don't use the "I didn't know what the problem was" excuse, as you clearly have an excellent knowledge of the in's and out's of her car... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Athlone_Bhoy

The guys garage is like 30meters from where I live. That's not the point he said he would get in touch about how much it would cost but he didn't just put in a fuss and charger 75 for doing it + when he got the car he wasn't busy at so none of this crap thank him for stopping doing what he was doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Do you not understand how business operate? No business, like mechanics, runs at 100% capacity, but their overheads do. Is such a person expected to sit on his hands and then do the job for a fiver?

If a motorist cannot diagnose a blown fuse then they really cannot complain about what it costs to get them back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Personally knowing how business operates, knowing a fair price and "feeling" for both sides I would not see anything wrong with the op speaking his mind in a cival fashion if the op wants.

The garage might agree and refund him for future business... It might not agree and possibly only ever make 75 euro out of the man. The way I see it is the AA cost 10-15 euro per month and they would have diagnosed this in 2min but the women payed 75 euro to be on the road an hour later... It all depends on your view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

It cost me €65 just to get my car plugged in to a computer for a diagnostic. Don't think she was overcharged at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

That sounds cheap if he did a diagnostic.

Is this your regular garage or was "the woman" just a drop-in-and-sort-this-now person?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

OP - she wasnt robbed at all !

if you still feel you are being "robbed" by a qualified mechanic then by all means study a basic car maintenance course at night in a local college and save yourself some money in the future.

I've had a number of problems with my own car - and only recently been told that the last guy to "replace" my starter motor must have replaced it with a secondhand one (less than 12months and it needed to be replaced) ..... my lesson learned - I can now diagnose what my car sounds like when it needs a starter motor replaced.

I can also tell when oil is getting into my water pump and a couple of other different things....on each occasion I have paid a decent amount of money. (I plan on doing a car maintenance course in the future)

OP she can now tell what her car reacts like when it needs a change of fuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Have to agree with the majority...It#'s a fior price if he had to go all that trouble to find it was the fuse but he he intentional new straight off what is was and used the diagnostics as way to charge more, well then that is different.

As long as he didn't intentionally set out to rip then it's a fair price.

======
    www.celicaireland.com

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Have to agree with the majority...It#'s a fior price if he had to go all that trouble to find it was the fuse but he he intentional new straight off what is was and used the diagnostics as way to charge more, well then that is different.

As long as he didn't intentionally set out to rip then it's a fair price.

======
    www.celicaireland.com

in fairness - he could have suspected the fuse, but may not have been 100% and doing a diagnostic would have confirmed his suspicions.

either way - well done Mr Mechanic. (I dont know how many times I've had simple things go wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A friend of mine called a plumber out recently to sort out an airlock that he'd spent two hours trying to get rid of. The plumber arrived out, saw that the pump had turned off automatically during the water shortages, pressed the switch, charged €70 and left. Was my friend done? This much I can say - the two hours he spent trying in vain to fix the problem were worth a lot more to him than €70.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Darsad

Big fuse over nothing really sorry fuss ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

reminds me of what my auld boy came across years ago,

He put a little twang on his new car, paint wasn't scratched and brought it to a body shop.

The guy there took out his little set of tap hammers, gave it two quick taps and it was good as new.

He then said that would be £20, my auld fella questioned £20 for two taps of a hammer, the guy's response

"Right, £1 for each tap of the hammer and £18 for knowing where to tap it"

Your €75 was to pay for the guys, Time, Expertises, Equipment and Fuse.

He is in business as a mechanic and therefore has to make money, until you come across a St. Vincent De Paul type chain of garages you will have to pay mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

The diagnostic is a bit steep. I was charged 25 when I was diagnosing a problem with my car.

He should have charged you, obviously he should but I think that price is a bit excessive.

whippet wrote: »
    reminds me of what my auld boy came across years ago,

He put a little twang on his new car, paint wasn't scratched and brought it to a body shop.

The guy there took out his little set of tap hammers, gave it two quick taps and it was good as new.

He then said that would be £20, my auld fella questioned £20 for two taps of a hammer, the guy's response

"Right, £2 for each tap of the hammer and £18 for knowing where to tap it"

Your €75 was to pay for the guys, Time, Expertises, Equipment and Fuse.

He is in business as a mechanic and therefore has to make money, until you come across a St. Vincent De Paul type chain of garages you will have to pay mechanics.

Maths FAIL !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The country is broke. I'm convinced of it. There's this thread, and there's a guy I saw driving into a tire shop last week in nearly new a6 and asking for budget tires for it. And when those ones weren't cheap enough, he kept asking for cheaper and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Maths FAIL !!!

Thanks for point that out. The moral of his post made NO sense without that correcting you made.

Dear jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

PCPhoto wrote: »
    Maths FAIL !!!

oops ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

The guys garage is like 30meters from where I live. T

So how did the car get to the garage?

Did you ask if there is a call out charge?

Did you ring other garages and get advice or quotes from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭king_of_inismac

People need a reality check here.

Yes, he's running a business and yes he ran a diagnostic.

BUT 75 Euro for replacing a fuse is extortionate! If it took twenty minutes, does that mean he's charging 225 an hour labour?

Come on guys. If he charged 20/30 euros that would be plenty!

BUT 75 Euro for replacing a fuse is extortionate! If it took twenty minutes, does that mean he's charging 225 an hour labour?

There's a difference between 20 euro if she brought it to the garage, and 75 if he has to close the garage and go out to her. All businesses have call out charges.

a call out fee for crossing the road? Really?

Next time you want work done on your car, ask me. I could do with the extra cash :D

a call out fee for crossing the road? Really?

Yes really. Thats how the world works. A lot of businesses also charge for an hours labour or part thereof too.

Not any mechanic I've dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Come on guys. If he charged 20/30 euros that would be plenty!
    How long did it take to repair the car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

It sounds a bit excessive alright but at least they got your car working again. Some "special" Volvo dealers who will remain unamed (Johnson and Perrot) charged me €115 to plug in a diagnostic. they just told me what the problem was when they could have seen it very easily if they just looked under the car. They didnt do anything and the car was there for 25 mins. Then they wanted to charge me 3times the price that Greers Volvo of Antrim wanted for the same part and service.

Irish dealers = rip off merchants. There are some good independant mechanics out there though if you are lucky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

For situation that occurred, I probably would have paid the money as it was an on the spot fix and he sorted it there and then, if you were shopping around and thats the best price you could have gotten then I'd complain.

My father had a 3 series BMW about 5 years ago, the glass in one of the fog lights was cracked by a loose chipping one day, drove into the local dealership to get it replaced, the guy came out with a small box containing the replacement glass and an electric screwdriver..

Unscrewed the glass, new glass part fitted, screwed it back in.. took less than 5 minutes.. €125 please!!!! (part - €55, rest was for labour!!) :eek:

Needless to say the father nearly dropped with the fright, never went back there again..

Now thats being ripped off!!!

Advertisement