Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options
  • 08-04-2010 4:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

Hi, just like to know if anyone on here can shed any light on this phenomena 11.11? I see this figure alot when randomly look at the clock. Anyone else notice this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

happens me a lot too. 3.33 2.22 10.10 etc etc etc

freaks me out sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

So I'm not the only one!!! Been happening to me for about a year now. Really freaking me out. At one stage I was playing my PS3 and just decided to shut it down. I glanced up at the clock in the corner of the screen. It read 16.10 16.10 as in 16th of October at 10 past 4!!

Another time I was actually explaining it to a mate down the pub and he was saying 'it's just coinsidence, sure check your phone there now and see' I pulled my phone out and it was 18.18!!

Happens to me around 5 times a day I reckon. Weird.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Ah confirmation bias is a wonderful thing.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/23_Enigma

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭everyday taxi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

Look at the time you posted this ......wow

I used to wake at the same time every morning 6.13....rearly would be out by even 1 minute...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭everyday taxi

del88 wrote: »
    Look at the time you posted this ......wow

I used to wake at the same time every morning 6.13....rearly would be out by even 1 minute...

22.22 ws a coincidence. But, you gettin up at that time every day (6.13)was intentional, my 11.11 story is random.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

11:11 is when there are fewest digits on a digital clock

this means either there is less light if LED have equal brightness
    or if there is a common resistor for all LED's then the individual LED's would be brightest

Human brain is very good at pattern recognition, finding pattens even when there isn't one ;) so no surprise that four vertical lines would be recognised

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Confirmation bias/pattern seeking

You probably look at your watch all the time, it's only when it fits into your pattern that you give it any thought though

It's like the idea that more crimes or something happen when there's a full moon. On a podcast I listen to a doctor was talking about when he was working in an A&E and it was a particularly busy night, and some nurse (or someone) said "It's really busy tonight, I'll bet there's a full moon."

It turns out there wasn't, but you can bet your arse if it was she'd have spent the rest of her life believing in that myth and finding things that fit in with the idea that the full moon causes crazy things to happen.

Which brings us nicely onto The Great Apple Experiment.

Great idea to demonstrate the power of controls in experiments and confirmation bias.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

re Confirmation bias

How many people believed that different parts of the tongue were used for different tastes ?

And how many science / home ec. text books did it get into ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

You know, the most amazing thing happened to me tonight. I was coming
    here, on the way to the lecture, and I came in through the parking lot.
    And you won't believe what happened. I saw a car with the license plate
    ARW 357. Can you imagine? Of all the millions of license plates in the
    state, what was the chance that I would see that particular one tonight?
    Amazing!

-- Richard Feynman

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

While reading this thread I stumbled on this! Oh spooky! :p It definitely means something :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

Happens me all the time. I know its just coincidence but I always feel weird when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Its fascinating how much work the human brain does in filtering out the signal from the noise. I'm always intrigued whenever I'm in a busy environment and someone in some other part of the room says my first name as part of their private conversation and I can hear that one word perfectly clearly as if they were standing right beside me, but everything else is just background noise.

Or when you discover a new word or concept that you had never experienced before, and suddently it seems as though everyone is using it all the time and you think, oh, that's a coincidence, but they had probably been using it all along but you just never noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Tiddlers

This might be a bit airy-fairy but I came across this a year or so ago http://www.december212012.com/articles/11-11/Doorways-of-Destiny.htm.

I always get quite excited when I come across 11:11 sequences.I view it as a sign or an omen of positive changes or shifts in my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Tiddlers wrote: »
    This might be a bit airy-fairy but I came across this a year or so ago http://www.december212012.com/articles/11-11/Doorways-of-Destiny.htm.

I always get quite excited when I come across 11:11 sequences.I view it as a sign or an omen of positive changes or shifts in my life.
    Why on earth would you think that is airy-fairy? Seems perfectly logical and scientific to me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,235 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Incidently I got engaged last year and So far the date for the wedding is set for 11-11-11
    because
    A - It's easy to remember
    b - it's a Friday
    c- it's the only time in a thousand years of the gregorian calendar that the same digit is repeated 6 times. (and i'm a nerd)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,056 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I've never noticed the 11.11 thing, but if I had looked at the clock 8 minutes ago it would have been 10.10.

Edit, seven minutes ago, my clock is wrong. No - its still eight minutes

Nooo, why would anyone think it was airy-fairy? What does 11.11 look like in Chinese?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 purple saviour

the power of 11-11 or any other mirrored numbers is truly magnificent...for me personally i have a draw to the number 11-11...but most recently the number 10-10 is popping up..in particular to 11-11ers please look on you tube...for 'Rik Clay 11:11' let me no what ye think...its a two part interview..it helped me in some ways but i believe 11-11 has different meanings for different people...then look up 'new world order' please let me hear if you can make any connection between the two...i found a connection but will ye?.."In the year of the new century and nine months,the sky will burn at 45 degrees..fire aproaches the great new city..there will be thunder..the third big war will begin when the city is burning"-Nostradamus..

• Advertisement

How does this get to be in 'science'?

the power of 11-11 or any other mirrored numbers is truly magnificent...for me personally i have a draw to the number 11-11...but most recently the number 10-10 is popping up..in particular to 11-11ers please look on you tube...for 'Rik Clay 11:11' let me no what ye think...its a two part interview..it helped me in some ways but i believe 11-11 has different meanings for different people...then look up 'new world order' please let me hear if you can make any connection between the two...i found a connection but will ye?.."In the year of the new century and nine months,the sky will burn at 45 degrees..fire aproaches the great new city..there will be thunder..the third big war will begin when the city is burning"-Nostradamus..
    Hi welcome to boards,
    please read the charter for the Popular Science forum http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130667

The paranormal forum is http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=446
    Conspiracy is here http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=576

BTW: Unless there are major advances in medical science most of us will have died of old age by the new century.

yes i agree that we shall all be dead in the new century...but i think that this 'new century' is a play on words....basically when there is one world government that rules all the world that will be our 'new century'....

Wut?

but i think that this 'new century' is a play on words....
    Nostradamus used a lot of word play and bad grammar to allow people to read what they wanted into stuff.

Neither of your posts had anything at all to do with popular science so it's bye bye for now.

"Nostradamus used a lot of word play and bad grammar to allow people to read what they wanted into stuff".
    "Neither of your posts had anything at all to do with popular science so it's bye bye for now".

haha......Seriously.....and where might i ask did it say anything at all that my post had to be anything related to "popular science"...as you say.....this 11:11 conversation that you seem to think you know about has nothing i mean NOTHING to do with science.....it obviously has no meaning to you in the same sense as us....i was mearly giving people other research areas to help them....as they asked....and it didnt seem like anyone else had any ideas......ha and especially not scientifically..and yes i am aware of what Nostradamus used to do....bye bye for now.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Stratige

this 11:11 conversation that you seem to think you know about has nothing i mean NOTHING to do with science...
    Yet its posted in a science forum?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Stratige

Hi, just like to know if anyone on here can shed any light on this phenomena 11.11? I see this figure alot when randomly look at the clock. Anyone else notice this?
    You only notice 11:11 because it looks weird so your mind remembers it. Nobody remembers looking at the clock when it says 12:57 because it doesnt strike as odd. Get me?

haha......Seriously.....and where might i ask did it say anything at all that my post had to be anything related to "popular science".
    * at the top of the page where it says
    Science > Popular Science
    * in the post where I told you to read the charter
    * TWO other posters queried the relevance of your posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Sitric

re Confirmation bias

How many people believed that different parts of the tongue were used for different tastes ?

And how many science / home ec. text books did it get into ??

I believed it until 11-04-2010, 11:28

Advertisement