Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants in Swords

Options
  • 07-04-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

I'll keep it brief just asking for any reccomendations. The missus is overdue being taken out for dinner and I was just wondering if any of you care to tell me the best place you think are around the swords area. Anything but Indian.

I've looked a few places up on the web but I'd rather have some first hand testimony to go on!

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

I really like the Pink Elephant (Thai kitchen). The food is gorgeous and the staff are oh so friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I really like Masterson's. Its a steak house on the main street just up from the Star and its cheap as chips :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

The Carnegie Court We eat here a lot. The bar food is nice for a snack, you can get one of those tables with your own taps as well.
    The restaurant is beautiful for a nice sit down meal, never been disappointed so far, follow the link to the menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

There are a few Ok resteraunts in and around swords,,, funnily enough the best of them are indian..:o

Apart from them I would recommend La Spada for Pizza, the old schoolhouse for regular fair or the Plaza for chinese....

If you really want to treat her then you may have to go to Malahide, a long list of fabulous resturaunts there...

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭JD1763

Pink elephant is nice, was in Mastersons before xmas and the steaks were good.

Avoid the Chinese in the Plaza at all costs - overpriced, low quality junk is putting it nicely. Made the mistake of going there a few months ago and will never eat there again, over €40 for two people and might as well have gotten a takeaway from the one on the mainstreet. If I had to get Chinese or similar in Swords would either go to Swords Garden or to the Thai up in Brackenstown. But Eatzen in Ashbourne or Silks in Malahide are comparably priced to the Plaza and miles nicer.

Best restaurant in Swords imo is definitely Indie Spice, great food and reasonable prices. But yes its an Indian.

But as Meditraitor says Malahide is just a tad better for eating out!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,598 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You may also want to check out this thread, although reviews of non-Indian restaurants in Swords do seem a little thin on the ground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 roastpotato

have to agree with meditraitor....malahide is the place to go for food. there is a small place called chez sara down the road from the church. amazing food although it's only a small selection. but so worth it going to. reasonably priced as well and the staff is very friendly. the chef cooks pretty much infront of you. fantastic place!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭S23

Alright thanks a million folks the input is much appreciated!

One last thing, I found a place online called Gola. Its an Italian (my favourite) and looks pretty good. Anyone been?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The Carnegie Court We eat here a lot.
    The restaurant is beautiful for a nice sit down meal, never been disappointed so far, follow the link to the menu.

I would agree, its very nice, and the early bird is great value.
    NEW! Early Bird Menus
    Try out our fantastic two new Early Bird Menus.
    Now being served Sun-Thur 5.30-7.30pm and Friday & Saturday 5.30-6.30pm.
    Exceptional value 4-course menu for only €18.95 per person.
    Booking Recommended Ph: 8404384

Click here to view Menu A
    Click here to view Menu B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

S23 wrote: »

One last thing, I found a place online called Gola. Its an Italian (my favourite) and looks pretty good. Anyone been?

I have been in for lunch a couple of times, I wouldnt say its quality but its OK.... Italian is also my favorite (the misses being italian helps;))

On a side note, a guy I work with was in Mastersons the other night and he was raving about the steak........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

S23 wrote: »

I havent heard anything good about Gola tbh. I've never been myself tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭C.O.Y.B.I.B

+1 for Mastersons . Steak on a stone .....mmmmmm
    Indie Spice and Chilli shaker (both Indian sorry) or Pink Elephant Thai.

Gola is cheap and cheerful . We go with our toddler early evening as its usually quiet and has a cheap EB . Tasty food , but wouldnt bring the missus there for a night out.

1 more thing to add is that you would want to book Mastersons 2-3 day sin advcance if going at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭S23

Thanks a million people. Mastersons it is! I'll pop up to Gola some day for lunch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

All the Chinese restaurants and take awayd in Swords are awful. Its hard to get a really decent Chinese meal there. If you really want Asian food stick to the Pink Elephant. The only decent Chinese meal I have had in Swords was from the Jade Palace in Applewood. Not the takeaway but the restaurant over the Orchard Pub. My wife is a chef and is very very fussy and that's the only Chinese's in Swords she'll eat from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

Agree Mastersons is good but I'd recommend you drive down a few mintues further to Malahide. No offence to Swords but Malahide has far superior restaurants. It's a restaurant/cafe village though so it'd want to be good! They're not all necessarily pricey either. Giovannis, Cape Greko are very good and decent prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

100% agree with the Jade Palace recommendation. Lovely Grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Indie Spice is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Whats the best Chinese Takeaway in Swords these days? I used to go to the Excelsior but it was rubbish last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

We love Jades Palace in Applewood. Chick Trigons, yummmm!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Lux23 wrote: »
    Whats the best Chinese Takeaway in Swords these days? I used to go to the Excelsior but it was rubbish last time.

The one in Rivervalley is really good, we get ours from there all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Lux23 wrote: »

The plaza is the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Maybe not entirely Swords, but the take away New Shanghai beside the Kinsealy Inn is the nicest one I know. Looks like dump outside but the food is great in particular (strangely enough) their Thai dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

The Chinese (and other Asian) restaurant in Swords Manor is fantastic. It has a great all you can eat buffet menu too for the price conscious. I was really impressed with it when I went there a month ago. I just can't recall the name of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 NDB

I live in Lusk and still drive to Indie Spice in Swords to get an Indian take away. That's how good I think it is. If you do go to Malahide then Kajjal is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Indie Spice is by far the best one in my opinion, following that the Pink Elephant is also good.
    Mastersons is quite popular and ok food wise, i wouldn't say it's great though.
    It's been a good few years since i had a chinese in Swords so i can't really comment on these.

The Chinese (and other Asian) restaurant in Swords Manor is fantastic. It has a great all you can eat buffet menu too for the price conscious. I was really impressed with it when I went there a month ago. I just can't recall the name of it.

I was there again tonight Gojinka it's called. Food is class.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I went to Dowlers once, never ever ever again

Wrights is good for casual grub, Mastersons is ok for a more formal meal, Jade Palace is great for takeaway, but we tend to head towards Howth and Malahide for a decent night out

Ate in the Carnegie Court recently, never again, it was foul. Slow and poor service, and the food was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

NDB wrote: »
    I live in Lusk and still drive to Indie Spice in Swords to get an Indian take away. That's how good I think it is. If you do go to Malahide then Kajjal is excellent.

I'd recommend taking a drive up to Rush and trying the Bombay Bistro. Some of the best Indian food around.

Stheno wrote: »
    Ate in the Carnegie Court recently, never again, it was foul. Slow and poor service, and the food was awful.

That's sad to hear, I've had loads of great meals there over the last few years. I haven't been there in a while but.

• Advertisement
Advertisement