Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TRACTORS AND FARM MACHINES

Options
  • 05-04-2010 6:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

I am just wondering why their isnt a nct or doe for tractors and other machinery that travel the road. I nearly got pinned by a tractor earlier when i was passing him. Straight road on broken white line he had a trailer of bales with no lights at all or reflective markings or no mirrors on the tractor. He started to veer on to my side of the road when i started passing him. He never seen me as he had no mirrors at all. Why isnt their a test for vehicles like this.......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

definately should be test for all trailers not just agricultural ones. There should be a test for towing a trailer with a tractor too.
    To drive a car with a one ton trailer I need to do a separate driving test but right now I can get in a tractor, attach a 40 foot lorry trailer on a dolly and i'll be driving completely legally. Gaps in the law like this need to be addressed.

Cui bono?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Agree 100% and I have posted on this before. Here's a thread where I made reference to a roadworthiness survey of tractors in the UK. UK tractors are bad enough IMO Irish ones are probably worse.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055049702

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

You had a close call there Sarason, three kids were killed
    a few years back where i'm from, they ploughed into a tractor
    pulling a trailer, with no lights or markings.
    Maybe it'll take a few more "accidents" like this before something
    is done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

A 16 year old can drive a tractor, thats madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭mista_2k10

Ive a funny feeling about that being changed soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Yes and as hoodie pointed out thats a tractor and a old lorry trailer 40ft long as well with a load as heavy as an articulated truck which requires professional training and experience......

An old friend of mine who drove trucks years ago always blew the horn when passing out tractors to let them know he was there, you would be amazed by of fellas that would jump as they wouldnt see him.

mista_2k10 wrote: »
    Ive a funny feeling about that being changed soon
    Hope so cos ive come round bends on narrow roads only to see a young head behind the wheel of a tractor, driving it at full speed. Not a pleasant experience.

SARASON wrote: »
    Yes and as hoodie pointed out thats a tractor and a old lorry trailer 40ft long as well with a load as heavy as an articulated truck which requires professional training and experience......

An old friend of mine who drove trucks years ago always blew the horn when passing out tractors to let them know he was there, you would be amazed by of fellas that would jump as they wouldnt see him.
    I hate overtaking a tractor for that very reason,you never know if they have seen you or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Do you think those young people are driving tractors for fun??? NO!
    They are working... Leave them at it!
    I tell you there would be uproar if this generally city aimed goverment tired to change the current rule!!

Theanswers wrote: »
    Do you think those young people are driving tractors for fun??? NO!
    They are working... Leave them at it!
    I tell you there would be uproar if this generally city aimed goverment tired to change the current rule!!
    By who a load of teenagers!

• Advertisement

Hope so cos ive come round bends on narrow roads only to see a young head behind the wheel of a tractor, driving it at full speed. Not a pleasant experience.

Some of the old heads are lethal too:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My persoanl bugbear are the contraptions that pass as trailers in these parts.

Some pieces of flat iron and sheet metal welded to random axles, no lights, no brakes, no mudguards, no pressure in the bald tyres ...you know the kind.

Preferably loaded with two prize bulls or 2 tons of building rubble.

Give me the heeby-jeebies, them yokes

Some of the old heads are lethal too:):)
    Would agree with you there!!!

peasant wrote: »
    My persoanl bugbear are the contraptions that pass as trailers in these parts.

Some pieces of flat iron and sheet metal welded to random axles, no lights, no brakes, no mudguards, no pressure in the bald tyres ...you know the kind.

Preferably loaded with two prize bulls or 2 tons of building rubble.

Give me the heeby-jeebies, them yokes

Well peasant there is a transport company beside me who had old artic trailers that wouldnt pass a test in a fit, the owner told me. Yet farmer joe down the road bought them home and cut the front of it and welded a hitch on it and hey presto!!!! he has a new trailer for transporting bales..

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

By who a load of teenagers!

And, What's wrong with that? At least they are doing something worth while... Again, there some awful bad drivers out there.... Should they not be got rid of to?

Cause someone is young, dosent make them a bad driver. Tractors are used for work and therefore i have no problem with it... and I personaly dont think it will be changed.

And, What's wrong with that? At least they are doing something worth while... Again, there some awful bad drivers out there.... Should they not be got rid of to?

Cause someone is young, dosent make them a bad driver. Tractors are used for work and therefore i have no problem with it... and I personaly dont think it will be changed.

I agree with you whole heartatley their but its the tractors that is the problem being so unroadworthy.

Well peasant there is a transport company beside me who had old artic trailers that wouldnt pass a test in a fit, the owner told me. Yet farmer joe down the road bought them home and cut the front of it and welded a hitch on it and hey presto!!!! he has a new trailer for transporting bales..

Not just "farmer Joe" ...take a trip to your suburban recycling centre on a Saturday ...it'll make your eyes water.

Cause someone is young, dosent make them a bad driver.

No, but insurance statistics do show that younger drivers are somewhat less risk aware than older ones.

A modern tractor, five tons of unsprung mass, bouncing along on our fabulous roads at 40 km/h, towing a 20 ton trailer ...now that's a biiiig risk.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

peasant wrote: »
    No, but insurance statistics do show that younger drivers are somewhat less risk aware than older ones.

A modern tractor, five tons of unsprung mass, bouncing along on our fabulous roads at 40 km/h, towing a 20 ton trailer ...now that's a biiiig risk.

Alot of modern machines like that would stop just as quick as a car...Even from 50 km/h

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    definately should be test for all trailers not just agricultural ones. There should be a test for towing a trailer with a tractor too.
    To drive a car with a one ton trailer I need to do a separate driving test but right now I can get in a tractor, attach a 40 foot lorry trailer on a dolly and i'll be driving completely legally. Gaps in the law like this need to be addressed.

Dollys are illegal btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭supersaint3

pajero12 wrote: »
    Alot of modern machines like that would stop just as quick as a car...Even from 50 km/h

with a trailer??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

No they wouldn't, not even close. Agri tyres on a tractor don't have great grip.
    Problem with the NCT is the local test centre from us is 16 miles away. A 32 mile round trip in a 135 is a long journey!!! It'd be like telling someone from Dublin that they have to NCT their car in Athlone... imagine the uproar on the Joe Duffy show if that were to happen!
    The laws are there regarding what shape a tractor and trailer must be in, all that's needed is enforcement.
    Typical Irish attitude though, introduce more laws to combat a problem!!
    If you halved the laws and doubled the enforcement of the remaining ones you'd achieve much more.

It's not the stopping I'm particularly worried about ...it's the fact that (due to the bad roads and having no springs) these things are not actually fully in touch with the road at all times and are jumping all over the place.
    Above a certain speed the whole train becomes close to uncontrollable ...your average 16 year old isn't particularly fazed by this, I am though ...especially when they're bouncing towards me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Also they should be heavily fined for leaving muck and shi1te on the road. Try coming round a corner on a motorbike to encounter a fvcking slurry pit in the middle of the road :mad:

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Also they should be heavily fined for leaving much and shi1te on the road. Try coming round a corner on a motorbike to encounter a fvcking slurry pit in the middle of the road :mad:

Certainly agree on this...the state of roads after some machines are Shocking
    Tea 1000 wrote: »
    No they wouldn't, not even close. Agri tyres on a tractor don't have great grip.
    Problem with the NCT is the local test centre from us is 16 miles away. A 32 mile round trip in a 135 is a long journey!!! It'd be like telling someone from Dublin that they have to NCT their car in Athlone... imagine the uproar on the Joe Duffy show if that were to happen!
    The laws are there regarding what shape a tractor and trailer must be in, all that's needed is enforcement.
    Typical Irish attitude though, introduce more laws to combat a problem!!
    If you halved the laws and doubled the enforcement of the remaining ones you'd achieve much more.

Traxion+-b&w.jpg
    falken_fk451.gif

Which do you think has better grip...During the summer the tractor is was driving was pullin a tri axle full of wet silage..It has air and hydraulic brakes...On a wet road it stopped in 4 yards...Try that in a car...
    A 135 isnt fit to stop itself

I have nothing against 16 yearolds working, I think its crazy that they can drive such a heavy vehicle pulling a heavily loaded trailer without supervision when they are not allowed behind the wheel of a car, look at all the lessons and driving tests required to get an artic licence, yet there is none for a tractor pulling a trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Tea 1000 wrote: »

Never a truer word said.

We're loosely legislated with undefinable definitions. What hope to enforce?

Certainly agree on this...the state of roads after some machines are Shocking

Traxion+-b&w.jpg
    falken_fk451.gif

Which do you think has better grip...During the summer the tractor is was driving was pullin a tri axle full of wet silage..It has air and hydraulic brakes...On a wet road it stopped in 4 yards...Try that in a car...
    A 135 isnt fit to stop itself
    The bottom tyre, by far. The top one is designed for mud and loose and slippy surfaces. It's simple physics. The more contact the rubber has on the tarmac, the more grip it has.
    And if you expect me to believe that you stopped 20-odd tonnes on agri tyres on a wet road from 60kph in 4 yards, you'd better do a you tube clip, cause I simply don't believe you. It doesn't matter what brakes you have, it's the friction that slows you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭mista_2k10

I think that the age should be changed for people who want to drive tractors with big dump trailers and heavy equipment, but it should be kept at 16 if your not going to be carrying big loads/equipment, but they should have to take some sort of test first though.

• Advertisement

mista_2k10 wrote: »
    I think that the age should be changed for people who want to drive tractors with big dump trailers and heavy equipment, but it should be kept at 16 if your not going to be carrying big loads/equipment, but they should have to take some sort of test first though.
    They should classify tractors similar to bikes. You can ride a bike at 16, but you can't hop on a Honda Blackbird, you need to work your way up. It should be the same for Tractors.

Advertisement