Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tractors with missing or defective lights

Options
  • 03-02-2007 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭

Does anyone think that the situation with poorly lit tractors and other machinery on the road is completely unacceptable. I drive a lot at night/dusk and the number of inadequately lit tractors on the road is unbelievable. I'd estimate that 9 out of every 10 tractors I see are like this. Of course many cars have defective lights too (eg blown bulbs) but the majority of cars do have proper lighting

The sort of things I see on tractors and machinery are
    -broken lenses
    -lights so caked in dirt they are not visible
    -one headlight
    -one tail light
    -no headlights with cab lights used in their place
    -no tail lights with white, rearward facing cab lights used in their place
    -completely unlit trailers
    -no/broken indicators

Just yesterday at about 6:15 pm it was pretty dark and I saw a tractor pulling out of a field onto a national route and he either had no lights at all working or just didn't bother turning them on. Another fool I saw had tail lights which consisted of no red lights and one amber indicator constantly lit. Another one was towing a large slurry tanker and when he indicated to turn right the LEFT red tailight on the tanker flashed.

How do these idiots get away with this. They're driving a large, dangerous piece of heavy machinery on a public road after dark yet they don't have proper lights. I'd report them to the Gardai but guess what - the majority of these things don't have any/visible number plates either. I doubt the cops would take any interest even if I did report them Add to that no mirrors on many tractors, no DOE testing and the fact that they can legally be driven by a 16 year old kid who has never done a driving test. It's about time things were tightened up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

One rule for one and another for others... The mess they leave behind on the roads too is a disgrace and a danger :mad:

Same goes for the entrance to construction sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Absolutely agree.

I'm especially fond of these silage bale spikes protruding either front or back without any lights or even just little red rags hanging off them.

But it's not just tractors and their implements. The amount of rickety, unbraked, overloaded, unlit, unplated trailers out there (towed by all sorts) is unbelievable as well.

Really like the unlit ones that are so wide that they completely cover the towing vehicle ...they're just a black mass on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭maidhc

Most tractors I see are pretty good tbh.

We have a 2000 reg tractor doing any road work, and it is one of the older ones around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭BrianD3

peasant wrote:
    But it's not just tractors and their implements. The amount of rickety, unbraked, overloaded, unlit, unplated trailers out there (towed by all sorts) is unbelievable as well.
    I agree totally and was thinking about mentioning car trailers in the original post too. Lets face it - a lot of the unlit car trailers on the road are being towed by the same groups that are driving unlit tractors on the road i.e farmers and builders.

BrianD3 wrote:
    a lot of the unlit car trailers on the road are being towed by the same groups that are driving unlit tractors on the road i.e farmers and builders.

Well ...I've come across quite a few 06 SUV's collecting little Priscilla and her pony from the ghymkana ...with an unlit, unplated massive yoke of a horsebox, outshadowing even the tank that tows it :D

Oh ...and while we're on the subject. Towing weights, towing limits for the tow car is another issue and accidents waiting to happen.

And why is it that you can bolt any sort of aftermarket hook onto your car and call it a hitch. How come you can have a hitch and not have the electric connectors installed as well, without the garda or NCT at least raising an eyebrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,301 ✭✭✭✭Victor

peasant wrote:
    And why is it that you can bolt any sort of aftermarket hook onto your car and call it a hitch. How come you can have a hitch and not have the electric connectors installed as well, without the garda or NCT at least raising an eyebrow?
    "Its OK guard, its only so I can screw up the other guy if I get rear-ended".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I've been saying it for years......unlit tractors, trailers, JCB's etc etc are a hazard on roads.

All slow-moving machinery should (obviously!) have normal working lights - BUT also.... amber flashing lights (or another colour?) PLUS rear mounted 'slow moving vehicle' signs attached.

The situation re the guards is that I suspect that most gardai would just tell a farmer, builder etc to "fix the broken light" rather than summons them to court over such a 'small matter'.

Now if there were 'on the spot' fines for broken lights, not having a plate on the trailer, etc ......I'm sure we would see a transformation in the 'unlit tractor/trailer, etc' saga!! :mad:

Incidentially, you guys notice how many cars are on the roads with one headlight not working??!

(Im guessing that so many are like this due to the number of drivers using dipped lights during the day, hence bulbs fail a bit sooner?
    BTW,I use dipped lights during the day, so I'm not saying people should'nt continue to do so!:))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

slow vehicle sign.........

(as seen on machinery is the U.S and some EU countries.....)

These 'signs' are reflectorized and can be seen from a long way off to warn you that the vehicle ahead is a 'slow moving' vehicle. They are made from light steel/aluminium and would only cost c.€5-10.
    At the very least if a tractor's lights were not working you could still have this large sign to warn you!

I'd say it'll probably take (pictures of) an accident where a biker gets horribly impaled on one of these bale spikes before anything is done about this.

peasant wrote:
    I'd say it'll probably take (pictures of) an accident where a biker gets horribly impaled on one of these bale spikes before anything is done about this.
    I'd say if this does happen public opinion will see the biker blamed no matter what happened. Sure everyone knows that all bikers are lunatic "Hells Angels" with no regard for the safety of themselves or others. Whereas all farmers are just poor old decent skins trying to make a living who go to Mass every week and are persecuted by drink driving laws. Ah sure God love them
    :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote:
    I'd say if this does happen public opinion will see the biker blamed no matter what happened. Sure everyone knows that all bikers are lunatic "Hells Angels" with no regard for the safety of themselves or others. Whereas all farmers are just poor old decent skins trying to make a living who go to Mass every week and are persecuted by drink driving laws. Ah sure God love them
    :rolleyes:

I would have thought driving a motorbike in rural ireland is evidence enough of having no regard to your own safety! At least when you hit a bad pothole in a car the worst is you will need your suspension seeing to and new wheel. Then there is the horses, sheep, tractors, and nut cases in SUVs.

Incidentally a group of students at the young scientist this year had a "folding" type bale spike to solve the issue of they being dangerous.

Are the non-folding spikes illegal? I posted a thread about tractors and machinery a while back and it was pointed out that there are special regulations and exemptions in law for agricultural equipment and implements etc.

BrianD3 wrote:
    Are the non-folding spikes illegal? I posted a thread about tractors and machinery a while back and it was pointed out that there are special regulations and exemptions in law for agricultural equipment and implements etc.

Not that I know of. They are not commercially available in any event! Most times when I am driving I keep them either tilted up or down, as it isn't in my interest to impale someone!

It is technically illegal to have a flashing amber light though!

maidhc wrote:

Just wanted to repeat that one !!

Maybe someone should ring aunty Gaybo about this ...because this really is stupidity in the highest degree ...banning a safety device :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

when im not in college im working on the n8 bypass washing roads around cahir on a 98 John deere.

I make a point of checking the lights every morning, two flashing ambers, one on the tank and one on the tractor and I always drive with dipped headlights on, spotlights pointing back and forward from the cab. I also check the indicators about 5-10 times a day as the stetch of road im covering involves numerous right turns and use of roundabouts. Also wash the tractor at least twice a week.

Might seem obsessive but I lost my girlfriend in a car crash last july so Im all for doing more than is basically required when it comes to road safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

maidhc wrote:
    Yes it's illegal - I started a thread on that very subject back in October. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054999553

Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) Regulations 1963

42. No lamp (other than direction indicators) fitted to a vehicle shall show or be constructed or adapted so as to be capable of showing a flashing light unless such light is invisible to persons outside the vehicle.

Exemptions:

(18) (a) The requirements of Parts II and VI of these Regulations shall not apply to a lamp which is carried on an ambulance, a fire brigade vehicle or a vehicle being used by a member of the Garda Síochána in the performance of his duties as such member and which complies with the provisions of this sub-article.
    (b) (i) The lamp shall where possible be fitted on the roof of the vehicle on a point on its longitudinal axis.
    (ii) No part of the illuminated surface of the lamp shall be less than 5 feet from the ground.
    (iii) The power of the lamp shall not exceed 50 watts.
    (iv) The area of the orthogonal projection on to any vertical plane of that part of the lamp through which light is shown shall be capable of lying wholly within a square having sides of 9 inches in length.
    (v) The light shown by the lamp shall be blue.

In 1979,under the Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) (Ammendment) Regulations 1979 this was amended to include amber flashing lights on recovery vehicles, road works vehicles, snow ploughs, hedge cutters and road maintenance vehicles.

The 1979 ammendment made no mention of agricultural vehicles and I don’t know whether there has been any amendment since. It still appears to be illegal to drive a tractor in a public place with an amber flashing beacon and in the interests of safety, this would need to be rectified.

Re: Tractor lighting in general. I find that in Dublin the vast majority of tractors are properly lit and display registration plates but there seems to be a more casual attitude 'down the country'.

bigkev49 wrote:
    spotlights pointing back
    I'm afraid bigkev49 that you are breaking the law if you are driving on a public road with the rear spots on. They are for use in private (ie fieldwork) and are of great annoyance to many motorists. It is illegal to display a white light (except reversing light) to the rear of any vehicle while on a public road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I'm afraid bigkev49 that you are breaking the law if you are driving on a public road with the rear spots on. They are for use in private (ie fieldwork) and are of great annoyance to many motorists. It is illegal to display a white light (except reversing light) to the rear of any vehicle while on a public road.

they are pointing down at the PTO, space in between tractor and towed implement, not out at other road users. Ive driven behind this tractor in my car a few times and they are in no way distracting or annoying.
    Re: Tractor lighting in general. I find that in Dublin the vast majority of tractors are properly lit and display registration plates but there seems to be a more casual attitude 'down the country'.

Come on dont make this into "dublin is better than the rest of the country". Most of the tractors I see in dublin are corporation owned mini tractors, more golf buggy than tractor.

bigkev49 wrote:
    they are pointing down at the PTO, space inbetween tractor and towed implement, not out at other road users. Ive driven behind this tractor in my car a few times and they are in no way distracting or annying
    Still technically illegal but I take the point.

bigkev49 wrote:
    Come on dont make this into "dublin is better than the rest of the country". Most of the tractors I see in dublin are corporation owned mini tractors, more golf buggy than tractor.
    Dublin is not just a city. I'm referring to the tractors in County Dublin, not City/Corpo vehicles. Yes we do have farms in Dublin and I have spent many years working on them. :D I've no intention of turning this into a city v country thread. I'm not from the city. ;) It's just a general observation.

Dublin is not just a city. I'm referring to the tractors in County Dublin, not City/Corpo vehicles. Yes we do have farms in Dublin and I have spent many years working on them. :D I've no intention of turning this into a city v country thread. I'm not from the city. ;) It's just a general observation.

The tractors in east cork are damn good too. But I'd suspect the quality goes down as you travel wesht.

• Advertisement

I'm not certain, but I think there are new regulations relating to flashing blue or orange lights. I'm not sure how it affects tractors.

SI 342 of 2006 Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) (Blue and Amber Lamps) Regulations 2006
    Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) (Blue and Amber Lamps) Regulations 2006
    SI 342 of 2006

These Regulations consolidate and update the statutory provisions in relation to the use of flashing blue or amber warning lights on certain vehicles. Under the Regulations, blue flashing lights may be used on vehicles used by the Garda?´, the fire service, an ambulance service, the Irish Marine Emergency Service, the Irish Prison Service and vehicles used for the delivery or collection of human transplant organs, human blood or human blood products.

Amber lights may be used on a breakdown vehicle, a road clearance vehicle, a road works vehicle, a vehicle used in the collection and disposal of refuse, a vehicle used in the provision or maintenance of telephone services or of gas or electricity supply and a Customs and Excise patrol vehicle.

Source: Iris Oifigiúil 11/07/2006

Victor wrote:
    I'm not certain, but I think there are new regulations relating to flashing blue or orange lights. I'm not sure how it affects tractors.

SI 342 of 2006 Road Traffic (Lighting of Vehicles) (Blue and Amber Lamps) Regulations 2006

You stole that quote from my website. Pah.

Saw a few more tractors with defective lights this evening. Typical example - on the N55 a newish John Deere pulling low loader + excavator. Now it was pretty dark but he had no tailights on. Either the driver wasn't bothered or more likely his lights weren't working. Instead, he had turned on his hazard lights. But they only worked on the tractor, not on the trailer. From behind you'd get a glimpse of one or other of the indicators so it looked initially like he was about to turn. Got by him eventually, hazard lights flashing merrily away on the back of the tractor. But one of his front indicators wasn't working either.

Later on saw several more tractors driving in the DARK with side lights only or in a couple of cases, one side light only or in anotehr case, no lights at all. He was driving in the hard shoulder on a national route so that was alright then :rolleyes:

And Shock horror - I actually saw a tractor plus slurry tanker with the full compliment of working lights and indicators.

But the earlier examples are exactly the kind of carry on that bugs me. There aren't that many tractors on the road compared to cars but the majority of tractors have either defective lights or drivers who seem incapable of using their lights properly

I had this unusual load in front of me this morning on the R127 in Lusk, County Dublin. The tractor driver drawing this boat was probably well meaning in (illegally) using his rear work lights as a warning of his slow and unusual load but doesn't seem to realise that these field lights are blinding the drivers behind and their effect is exacerbated when reflected off the wet road. It made overtaking very difficult.

When driving tractors on a public road, I'm always aware of the importance of not overusing lights. I wonder if other tractor drivers never drive behind similar lights. Maybe the manufacturers should place the work lights on a seperate switch instead of the usual 1-4settings. Inexperienced /ignorant drivers would then be less inclined to turn it through all four notches instead of going to the second one only for road use.

Wishbone, it looks from that pic like the white lights are on the back of the boat rather than on the tractor :confused:

I was behind a tractor yesterday on a dark country road, he had his full compliment of red tailights but had switched on his work lights too. As I got close he turned off the worklights. I can only speculate that he put the worklights on to make himself more visible to drivers behind and as soon as it was clear that they had seen him, he switched the work lights off. Anyway I personally don't find work lights too blinding but I do find them very confusing when they are away in the distance on a pitch black country road.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

See this a fair bit on the N3. "Best" one this week though was the bus at dusk with no working head/tail lights - instead he had his hazards blinking merrily away. :mad:

Maybe it's just me, but I'd be of the opinion that before I undertook a journey like that on a National route in the dark (or anywhere in fact), I should probably get the lights sorted first.

As usual though too there's never a cop around either when you want one. :rolleyes:

BrianD3 wrote:
    Wishbone, it looks from that pic like the white lights are on the back of the boat rather than on the tractor :confused
    It looks like that alright in the pic but no, the lights were tractor mounted. The boat had one of those fin-like yokes (excuse ignorance) below the hull so the body was up high. The tractor lights are shining under it. The trailer had a small standard tail board at the bottom.

The boat had one of those fin-like yokes (excuse ignorance) below the hull so the body was up high.
    Keel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

ciarsd wrote:
    One rule for one and another for others... The mess they leave behind on the roads too is a disgrace and a danger :mad:

Same goes for the entrance to construction sites.
    Mods - can we get this moved to "Boggers"?

• Advertisement

I am dragging up this thread as I have come across an article on tractor roadworthiness which makes interesting reading. The article appears in April's Classic Tractor magazine. The article quotes a survey on tractor roadworthiness by the British Agricultural and Garden Machinery Association which was also sponsored by the UK HSA and DfT.

Some quotes:
    93% of 1990 and earlier registered tractors examined were found to be unroadworthy
    80% of 1991-1995 tractors
    55% of 1996-2000 tractors
    36% of 2001 onwards tractors

In terms of overall figures
    43% of tractors had windscreen/wiper faults which made them unroadworthy 30% had wing mirror faults
    12% had unsafe seats
    11.6% had unsafe doors
    38% had defective brake lights
    20% defective headlights
    13.2% defective rear indicators

and so on.

Now in a previous thread I was accused of talking sh1t when giving out about unroadworthy tractors on the road.

Would anyone suggest that the quality of farm machinery on Irish roads is better than that in the UK. I believe that if the survey was carried out here it would be at least as bad if not worse due to poorer of enforcement of road traffic law, a general lack of respect for rules/regs and the fact that we have many "homemade" trailers here the vast majority of which have either no number plate or defective lights/indicators. (The UK survey does not appear to cover homemade trailers)

The article suggests that results like this mean that the introduction of an "MOT" for tractors is inevitable in the near future.

Advertisement