Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon airport ghost town ... soon?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 macker35

Couple of points here:
    The DAA is deliberately running Shannon into the ground so they can get more flights and more revenue in Dublin.
    That means making the airport unprofitable, then saying "this airport makes no money, let's close it down".
    Same thing happened to Ennis general hospital. Deliberately starved of funds and run into the ground (again from Dublin, funny, isn't it?) so they can say "let's close or downgrade this tip.
    I don't care if they give it a lick of paint or whatever else they're doing, no A&E means lifes lost.
    If the DAA turned Shannon loose and had people run the airport who:
    A: Had brains
    and
    B: Cared about it's future
    it would absolutely thrive. Having Galway and Limerick plus Clare and an industrial estate on your doorstep can only be a recipe for success.
    I said it before and I'll keep saying it:
    Thick Mickery, gombeenism, backhanders, cute whoorery, starving the west to feed Dublin,
    and anyone who says different is either a moron or a liar. End of.
    You can give the Airport to me and I could turn it around.
    You could give the airport to a blind, insane and dead howlermonkey and it would turn around.
    But give the airport to the assholes, thieves, liars, criminals and corrupt bastards who are running it now and guess what? The place is falling apart.
    Go to court to get Shannon out now!
    And I'm willing to put my name, address, phonenumber, picture and invitation to meet me in the Glor carpark after dark anytime!
    And the Ryanair thing? Michael O'Leary offered business to Shannon, the turned it down.
    His prediction was there would be tumbleweeds blowing down the runway. He was right.
    Some people need to be told that business practices have changed since 1978, move with the times or die.
    Every person Ryanair brings in generates revenue. But aparently we don't need that, now sure we don't a begosh, begorrah, a she'll be grand, she'll be grand...
    well said

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RichieO

Shannon had it's busiest day since the ryan-air cuts, thanks to Iceland's volcanic dust... While Dublin airport is closed they need Shannon.
    When Shannon first opened, it was the USA / European gateway, now it's a gateway to very little... No-one needs it now, or do they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ash-cloud-forces-us-troops-to-abandon-shannon-stopovers-2179692.html

Report in the Independent claims its due the the Volcanic Ash cloud that Omni Air are moving from Shannon to relocate in Norway. Sorry but that to me seems to be BS. Surley Norway is could be just as affect by the ash cloud as Ireland is if the weather conditions were to change.

I have it from a good source (airport worker) that Omni were in talks with the Airport athority for some time and that Norway was offering them better facilities (Showers, restrooms, food etc.) for less costs. Its no wonder they moved, Ash cloud or no ash cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭jerry2623

There is only one problem with shannon and that is its location
    It is in the middle of nowhere and has not got a large population base to serve it
    It is not profitable and never will be again
    It has been sustained up to now on the subsidies and antiquated rules making Airlines use it when they do not want to.

We should have open skies and businesses should be run as such You make money you fly you lose money you close

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

jerry2623 wrote: »
    There is only one problem with shannon and that is its location
    It is in the middle of nowhere and has not got a large population base to serve it
    It is not profitable and never will be again
    It has been sustained up to now on the subsidies and antiquated rules making Airlines use it when they do not want to.

We should have open skies and businesses should be run as such You make money you fly you lose money you close

Sorry, but Kerry and Knock are pointless airports in the middle of nowhere with no useful flights going from them and they manage to survive.
    Shannon is off a main motorway and is serving Shannon (for cargo), Limerick city and county, Ennis and Clare and once the motorway is completed Galway (another useless airport).
    Shannon has everything going for it but it's being fcuked up.
    I keep saying it, but you could turn that airport over to an ape and it would make money, in fact it might even make money if you turned it over to me.
    The three airports should be Dublin, Shannon and Cork, it makes sense. Plus of course all those other piddly little landing strips in the middle of the jungle.
    I'm calling bullsh*t on the whole "Shannon can't make it" story, having your counties main asset run from Dublin (who are only interested in themselves and would like it if the rest of the country was featureless bog) is madness, the only way is to go to the European court and stop this anti-competitive madness once and for all!
    No other country outside of Bulgaria, Nigeria and Colombia would allow this insanity, in fact just hijack the damn thing and kick out the gombeens and morons who run it at the moment, put up an ad in the newspaper looking for young business graduates who would run that place 10 times better for a tenth of the money.
    I've seen the people who run Clare, they're stuck somewhere in 1978 and unable to move on, there is a younger generation out there, turf out the cronies and let a bit of modern thinking and business sense take over!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 patrick74

^^^True!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

Booz report on Shannon is ready now. We'll have seperation it seems.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Zombie thread, feel free to start a new thread on the Booz Report (whatever that is)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement