Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Why did you buy your car?

Options
  • 04-04-2010 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

Just wondering why did you buy the particular car you've got?
    What made you chose that over the other cars out there.

I bought a Ford Puma cuz I didn't want any other generic Micra, Yaris or Fiesta like hatchback. I wanted something sporty and fun. Something I could keep for a good few years, fixing it and improving it with new parts and slowly building it into a track car.

So what made you buy your car?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

The wife!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

MK4 Golf:

Its the perfect size of car for me right now, was looking at Fiestas and the likes and they were to small. Can fit quite alot into the car once the seats are folded down, and when they're up the boot is ample for normal needs.

Availability of parts, the car is quite common, and if I ever needed anything from a scrap yard could probably get it easy enough. Had to get a new sump recently and only had to ring 2 local scrapyards to get one.

It was good value, and was the best I could get for my cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Volvo S40,

it was cheap car and owned by co-worker. Also I knew the previous owner and the service status of the car etc. Also 4 star safety rating and 2-liter engine tempted me. Not my dream car tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Needed an estate cos I need a flat loading boot cos my back is a bit dodgy and I need a bit of space and estates are handier than hatchbacks. Diesel cos I do miles for work. Legacy as I liked the way it drives/looks & the AWD. Subaru cos I expect it to be reliable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

i had another bmw 318is and loved it, regretted selling it, so i got another one. driving that one for the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭sudo911

Bought a Volvo V70 and love it.... 3rd Volvo so far and not a single problem with it. Used to have Mercs & BMWs, but so prefer the Volvos.... get all the extras, electric sunroof, electric seats, heated seats, leather, and the sound systems are excellent!

Got the 2.4 D5 diesel - 700mls on a full tank, and loads power/torque. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,689 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

VW Passat (06/B6) - 2.0 TDI (140 BHP) DSG

- Needed something diesel and automatic - the DSG is a fantastic gearbox! - for all the mileage I do

- Needed something with a bit of room in the back and the boot (huge boot!)

- Wanted something that's be comfortable to spend most of the working week in, and she is. Great sound system as well (I like my tunes :))

- Fuel efficent too

- Plenty of power for the N/M roads she spends most of her life on

- Its a lot bigger and looks better (IMO) than the equivalent A4 I was also considering at the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

I've been big into Nissans and Skylines in particular for along time so(although this is my 5th skyline) I decided the new model Skyline 350gt would be something very different and very rare here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Honda Civic Saloon, for one reason: I could fit in it. Probably get a Mondeo for the next car...

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭supersaint3

It's different, it's an Alfa, and it's imo one of the best looking things on the road!! :palfas.jpg

:cool:

I suppose I also wanted something bigger, with a good bit of mid-range poke, still a diesel, economical, and not a run of the mill mondeo, 3 series, a4, avensis etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

FTO

In no paticular order:

Rare enough
    Sweet looking IMO
    Slick handling
    200bhp
    2 litre Mivec V6 @ 8500 RPM sounds nice
    Insurance was decent @ €1600 for a 21 year old male but has gone up dramatically since :(

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

The Engine Sound
    The Driveability
    The Shape
    The Uniqueness

It was a no brainer after looking for a replacement for my last car for over a year. Saw this one day and fell in love with it.

Rx-8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

535d

cos it won engine of the year 3 times in a row:)

power

fuel economy

nicer sound than say an s320 v6 in a merc

reliabilty

brand

looks

people remark it way more than say a brand new avensis/accord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

RS Clio 172

because I'd kill myself if I owned a boring car.
    drove a passat tdi for a day once and was so glad to get out of it..as for the nissan almera 1.5..eughhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 unluckystar

Golf gt sport

Always liked golfs but never thought i could afford one! wanted something sporty!

wanted something sporty!

so why'd you buy a golf? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Kia Sorento :

Needed a commercial jeep , it was big, cheaper than most other jeeps in poverty spec and could be found very easily in auto with every extra on it in the UK , bulletproof reliability and overall nice to drive and nice to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Vw Bora Bought it for the power,the sound and the grip. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 unluckystar

SV wrote: »
    so why'd you buy a golf? :p

could ask you the same about the clio :p

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭RobertM

Alfa 156:

1.Despite everyone saying about their reliability, I just went for one. Since I was small I remember saying " Someday I will own my Alfa" so I did. :)

2.She's been good to me so far and no issues whatsoever.

3.The looks.

4.I love it. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

535d. Got it for the big power and torque step up from the 520d

could ask you the same about the clio :p

don't think you know your stuff ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

My first car was a brand new Puma for the same reasons as the OP stated, great car, superb handling, never caused a seconds problem, all the while drooling over the E46 M3, which I eventually bought after going through 3 of it's inferior siblings, having a serious love affair with the M3, have it 4 years, have 2 baby seats in the back head yelling at me to get something sensible, heart is telling the head the STFU! (until I can afford an E93 M3)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

A cl7 honda accord type s

1. I love the styling of it,
    2. Its a honda there known for there build quality.
    and
    3. The 2.0L petrol engine just enough grunt for me and prob wouldnt get insured on a bigger enigine yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bought the Avensis because of the quality and fuel economy and ease of resale
    Bought the FTO cos I love the way they look and drive, the V6 MIVEC and because I had them before.
    Bought the Shogun because I thought I needed a jeep and for the money nothing came close in terms of towing ability and reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Damien360

Bought an 07 avensis because our scenic was a ball of crap costing us a fortune. We wanted reliability and that is exactly what we got. Also should say that toyota were the only ones giving us a good trade for our scenic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

TheBazman wrote: »
    535d. Got it for the big power and torque step up from the 520d

Yes they are a fantastic drive i seriously considered one last year as the 7 series is ugly.. I got an A8 tdi instead i love it its like driving an army tank on soft pillows as opposed to tracks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

The A8 would definitely have it trumpted for comfort

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bought an S40 because of the amount of spec you get for your money second hand. Also comfortable, solid on the road and I never owned a Volvo before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Ah you had a Focus before Bazz :)

Advertisement