Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I become a Protestant?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭wolfsbane

Magenta wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I was raised as a Catholic, however I do not practise. I have never been to Sunday mass in my adult life, I only attend for funerals and weddings.
    For a number of reasons I am considering, at some stage, leaving the Catholic faith and becoming a Protestant. Does anyone know how I would go about doing this?
    Would I have to get my godparents or any family members involved for the process? I would rather they didn't know because it is a private matter for me and they are a little judgemental about these things. My father in particular is very against anything that he considers to be remotely English.

Thanks

M
    My advice: don't bother.

Why jump from one religion to another? Religions have nothing to offer but self-righteousness. At best they restrain outward wickedness, but do nothing to make us right with God.

What we all need to do is find God. Then He will sort out where we should meet to worship with His people. That may lead you to a 'Protestant' church, but you can assure your father any link with the English is purely co-incidental. The Reformation was not English in origin.

If necessary, remind him was the Catholic English who invaded Ireland in the first place, with the pope's blessing. ;)

Every blessing in your search.
    Acts 17:24 God, who made the world and everything in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands. 25 Nor is He worshiped with men’s hands, as though He needed anything, since He gives to all life, breath, and all things.

26 And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, 27 so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; 28 for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also His offspring.’

29 Therefore, since we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Divine Nature is like gold or silver or stone, something shaped by art and man’s devising. 30 Truly, these times of ignorance God overlooked, but now commands all men everywhere to repent, 31 because He has appointed a day on which He will judge the world in righteousness by the Man whom He has ordained. He has given assurance of this to all by raising Him from the dead.”

32 And when they heard of the resurrection of the dead, some mocked, while others said, “We will hear you again on this matter.” 33 So Paul departed from among them. 34 However, some men joined him and believed, among them Dionysius the Areopagite, a woman named Damaris, and others with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

Magenta wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I was raised as a Catholic, however I do not practise. I have never been to Sunday mass in my adult life, I only attend for funerals and weddings.
    For a number of reasons I am considering, at some stage, leaving the Catholic faith and becoming a Protestant. Does anyone know how I would go about doing this?
    Would I have to get my godparents or any family members involved for the process? I would rather they didn't know because it is a private matter for me and they are a little judgemental about these things. My father in particular is very against anything that he considers to be remotely English.

Thanks

M

The Protestant faiths had their origins in Germany and the other Teutonic nation-states of Central Europe, unless you join the C.O.E. or an Anglican church you're not really doing anything English at all really.

P.S. Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

wolfsbane wrote: »
    My advice: don't bother.

Why jump from one religion to another? Religions have nothing to offer but self-righteousness. At best they restrain outward wickedness, but do nothing to make us right with God.

What we all need to do is find God. Then He will sort out where we should meet to worship with His people. That may lead you to a 'Protestant' church, but you can assure your father any link with the English is purely co-incidental. The Reformation was not English in origin.

If necessary, remind him was the Catholic English who invaded Ireland in the first place, with the pope's blessing. ;)

Every blessing in your search.

She isn't jumping religion. She is considering changing denomination in the same religion. Surely, while acknowledging that every church has its problems and failings, it is important for the individual to find a place where they can grow with God. Part of this is finding people to help you along the way.

She isn't jumping religion. She is considering changing denomination in the same religion. Surely, while acknowledging that every church has its problems and failings, it is important for the individual to find a place where they can grow with God. Part of this is finding people to help you along the way.
    I hold the RCC is as much another religion as the JWs or Mormons.

But that is beside the point: Magenta acknowledged she was not practising any religion or denomination. She is not 'in God', so she can't grow with Him. Changing religion or denomination will not help her - she needs to find God. Then she will find an appropriate church to help her and be helped by her.
    John 4:1 Jesus said to her, “Woman, believe Me, the hour is coming when you will neither on this mountain, nor in Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22 You worship what you do not know; we know what we worship, for salvation is of the Jews. 23 But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. 24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

wolfsbane wrote: »
    I hold the RCC is as much another religion as the JWs or Mormons.

Unnecessary personal observation :rolleyes: as usual I see......never miss a good dig should the opportunity present itself, very Christian!

Is there any hope of sweetening those grapes Wolfsbane?...

Catholics were and always will be the very first 'Christians'...then there are the spin offs :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

@upmeath

Animated Signatures are not allowed for good reason...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=60479

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

lmaopml wrote: »
    Unnecessary personal observation :rolleyes: as usual I see......never miss a good dig should the opportunity present itself, very Christian!

Catholics were and always will be the very first 'Christians'...then there are the spin offs :P

Put it down to his tight northern upbringing and forgive him for it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 angry_bob

How do you work that one out? There were Christians long before the Roman Catholic church came into being.

OP, the main difference between any form of Protestantism and Catholicism is the believe that the the Pope in Rome has a direct line to God. There are several other distinctions, as previously mentioned, but this is the biggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Avaya79

What is the difference between being Catholic or Protestant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

How can other people 'help you along the way'? How could they know more about God than you or find Him more readily than you? It could be time to tackle that assumption.

As Thomas Paine wrote: "My mind is my own church".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Avaya79 wrote: »

Catholicism is the peasant's denomination of Christianity :pac:

*hides*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

At root:

Catholicism holds that a man has to do some work to obtain salvation (do good, follow certain RC ordinances, refrain from sin, go through purification in Purgo). In this core area, Catholicism is the same as other Religions and cults (Islam/Hinduism/Jehovahs Witness/Mormonism)

Protestantism in the main, holds that man is saved by faith alone - there is no work he can do and no good behaviour he can contribute .. to his being saved.

Protestantism (insofar as it holds this view of salvation) isn't a Religion as such - Religions are always about your following the Law in order that you be spared the consequences of your sin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Where to start? If you are a Roman Catholic & you wish to become an Anglican, I suggest you start
    by attending your local CofI Church this Sunday morning, sit at the back of the Church, listen, sing, & enjoy :)

The Anglican Church has a very broad spectrum, going from 'High Church' to Low Church, with everything else in between! so be warned. Anglican 'High Church' is very close to Roman Catholic church practice, which would include the smell of incense, lots of bowing, making the sign of the cross, hail Mary's, etc, etc, all of which are commonplace in an Anglican 'High Church', (alas they are few and far between in Ireland). Then at the other end of the spectrum you have the traditional Church of Ireland low church, which is very common place & much furthed removed from the church of Rome.

I could go on for pages, but there are differences between & within the Anglican churches, and between them and the
    RC Church in Ireland. No 'one Church' can claim to be the one true church! so 'Vive la difference', and good luck I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

topper75 wrote: »
    How can other people 'help you along the way'? How could they know more about God than you or find Him more readily than you? It could be time to tackle that assumption.

As Thomas Paine wrote: "My mind is my own church".

What do you suppose is the point in gathering together to worship and read the bible in large and small groups?

My response was to Fanny's claim that the RCC is not a separate religion from Protestant churches. Was his claim an unnecessary personal observation? I think not - it was his sincerely held belief, one that conflicted with my assertion, so he was perfectly entitled to voice it. As was I in reply.

Do you regard the JWs and Mormons as separate religions, or merely other denominations within the Christian church? Would it be unnecessary personal observation if you commented on them in a thread about How do I become a Protestant?

John 4:23 But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. 24 God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

Hi Wolfsbane,

Not at all, quite simply Fanny's was nearer the truth..

I suggest a read through the creed would be of help to you, perhaps even a distraction from yourself for a while......the creed that originated with the Catholic church and is still in use today by 'Christians...' that provides the basics of Christianity..

...but I'm betting you already knew that. Then again, you're entitled to believe whatever you want. You don't know us, you think you do, but you don't.

Peace to you Wolfsbane.

Magenta,

Sorry for bringing your thread ot a bit. I wish you the very best of luck on your journey, and hope you find where you belong...we'll be sorry to lose you from the Catholic faith, but certainly wish you every happiness in your new church..:)

You can 'sign out' of the Catholic faith online these days...However, I'm not sure if this reverses ( or even could ) your baptism as a Christian? I don't think it's prerequisit to joining one of the Protestant denominations either...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

angry_bob wrote: »
    How do you work that one out? There were Christians long before the Roman Catholic church came into being.

Yep, the first christian being a Jew who decided he didn't like how that religion was run so started his own version up. I seriously doubt he considered himself a Roman either seeing as they were the ones who nailed him to a tree.

Hi Wolfsbane,

Not at all, quite simply Fanny's was nearer the truth..

I suggest a read through the creed would be of help to you, perhaps even a distraction from yourself for a while......the creed that originated with the Catholic church and is still in use today by 'Christians...' that provides the basics of Christianity..

...but I'm betting you already knew that. Then again, you're entitled to believe whatever you want. You don't know us, you think you do, but you don't.

Peace to you Wolfsbane.
    Yes, the Creed's fine - but as they say, the devil's in the detail. ;)

There's a lot it doesn't say, and a lot that it does could be taken several ways. I think the Wiki article is correct when it says, Because of its early origin, it does not address some Christological issues defined in the later Nicene and other Christian Creeds. It thus says nothing explicitly about the divinity of either Jesus or of the Holy Spirit. This makes it acceptable to many Arians and Unitarians. Nor does it address many other theological questions that became objects of dispute centuries later.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apostles'_Creed

So not all who can sincerely recite the Apostle's Creed would be accepted as Trinitarians, for example. And I suppose you agree with me that Unitarians are not Christian. If you do hold them as Christians, perhaps you would give us an idea of what minimum standard you do set?

9 And in vain they worship Me,
    Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Magenta, I'm sure you weren't expecting the thread to go to these lengths, but hope you are still ok through all of this. There is such a lot of good stuff here interspersed with a few little impish responses here and there!! If you are still searching, I taped this service on RTE last Sunday. It's not my church, but the preaching is very good and although I have visited it a few times I decided not to continue going there as I was quite happy where I was. This church would not be Protestant but it is not Roman Catholic either - it is Pentecostal. You may not like it but this is just for your information and maybe you might like to have a look yourself:

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1073389

Their website is: http://www.stmarks.ie/

My own view is if someone wants to be Christian they should be allowed to be, wherever they find a home where they can be comfortable and feel the presence of God, whether that be a Protestant, Catholic, or any other Christian place of worship. Happy hunting!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Protestants took the soup :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

In answer to the original query, one does not of course have to be a member of any Protestant denomination to attend any church, on an irregular or regular basis. However, many people upon attending a church for a period of time may wish to have their membership transferred to that church. It is also the case that positions of lay responsibility in most denominations (eg serving on a parish committee) is limited to those who are members of the church - understandably so.

In order to formally change denomination, one would simply have to have attend for a period of time and have a discussion with their minister, who would be easily able to guide you through the formalities involved. I know of a number of instances of people transferring membership to Protestant churches but the Catholic Church maintains that they remain Catholic. You cannot conventionally transfer out of the Catholic Church so yes you would have to enter into their process of withdrawl (count me out and all that). This is because the Catholic Church does not formally (and I stress formally because in every practical sense it does) recognise the legitimacy of the Protestant churches in terms of apostolic succession. So you could either simply ask a minister where you are attending, and where you are sympathetic with the theology of that church, for them to record you as a member of that church - and the Catholic Church would likely also have records of your being a member there - or you could enter a process of formal withdrawl from the Catholic Church. From a practical sense it does not make much of a difference, though it may have some personal meaning for some people.

By way of example, the formal requirements for entering the membership of the Methodist Church is as follows:
    Admission to Membership
    2.02 The Methodist Church in Ireland welcomes into membership those who
    a) have committed their lives to Christ,
    b) show evidence of that commitment in life, conduct and service,
    c) and formally accept the discipline of the Methodist Church and obligations of Membership.

2.03 Such persons, after appropriate training under the pastoral and teaching oversight of a suitable leader, and approval of the Church Council, may be admitted into the privileges and obligations of membership and their names placed on the Membership Register.

Members of other Churches who satisfy the above requirements may be admitted to membership

Translating the somewhat archaic legalese (the above being denominational legislation) the above means basically someone who is committed to the church, and has undergone confirmation classes (which is basically what is referred to in 2.03) or someone who has been confirmed in another denomination but wishes to move denomination and satisfies a - c.

It is not possible to revoke one's baptism - the matter does not arise.

I wish you all the best in your search, there are lots of different churches out there with lots of different points of view, styles and emphases. You will find a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I suspect the simple answer is that the OP might want to change for reasons of his potential wife or life partner being of that faith?

Whatever the reason, I'm assuming you can approach a Protestant Minister or Cleric, and ask their advice - their are Protestant Churches in Ireland. You may have to be Baptised into the Faith and this is something you may want people to witness, regardless of your feelings about your family. As the comments above suggest you can also start attending mass in a Protestant Church and see if the Religion suits your personal and spiritual needs.

However, it is not something to take lightly, and to be honest... Catholicism and Protestant Religion is one in the same...I've studied and attended both services extensively and have not found much difference between them

I believe that Protestants all have the option of drinking communion wine at mass, they do not see the Pope as god's representative on Earth but just a holy man and they do not believe in a Virgin birth

You may have to be Baptised into the Faith and this is something you may want people to witness, regardless of your feelings about your family.

None of the main Christian denominations require somebody to be rebaptised. All major denominations in fact believe that one cannot be rebaptised as baptism is once and for all time, although salvation is not.
    ...they do not believe in a Virgin birth

Totally inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Here's how they described it with pictures in my old CBS School.

Catholic:

Tiso.jpg

Protestant:

evil_dead-12483.jpg

:pac:

BTW, I'm joking, in case anyone takes offence. They never talked about protestantism...............A bit like Voldermort:pac:

Oh sorry again, but that question is just begging for punchlines! Like, you can't have an apple bas....oh no, that doesn't work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I suspect the simple answer is that the OP might want to change for reasons of his potential wife or life partner being of that faith?

Whatever the reason, I'm assuming you can approach a Protestant Minister or Cleric, and ask their advice - their are Protestant Churches in Ireland. You may have to be Baptised into the Faith and this is something you may want people to witness, regardless of your feelings about your family. As the comments above suggest you can also start attending mass in a Protestant Church and see if the Religion suits your personal and spiritual needs.

However, it is not something to take lightly, and to be honest... Catholicism and Protestant Religion is one in the same...I've studied and attended both services extensively and have not found much difference between them

I believe that Protestants all have the option of drinking communion wine at mass, they do not see the Pope as god's representative on Earth but just a holy man and they do not believe in a Virgin birth
    As mentioned, it's completely inaccurate that protestants don't believe in a virgin birth. There are a large number of RCs who believe this very strongly for some reason, to the point of disagreeing with actual protestants on the matter. I'm guessing it's been used in protestant-bashing arguments in Ireland or something. The actual difference is just that protestants don't pray to Mary, or to saints, but to the holy trinity only.

Protestants don't have mass, they go to church.

You don't always have the option of taking part in holy communion in all protestant branches. It's not always a part of methodist services at all; some times it is only held occasionally: Methodists often abstain from alcohol completely, or at least be very temperate. When it is held, children are excluded (they can go to Sunday School for the latter part of the service). Protestants believe there is no physical transformation of the bread and wine into the body and blood of christ, and that it is symbolic, or spiritual only.

Protestants don't consider clergymen to have any special connection with God in the way Catholics believe priests have. You also don't have to be ordained to preach in a protestant service.

Protestants don't have confession.

Probably the most fundamental difference between the faiths is that Protestants generally believe you are saved through faith alone, RCs say it's through faith and good works. There are differences in the branches. Calvinists believe in predestination, for example.

Protestant services generally involve everyone singing more of the time, and not just a choir. They don't have the bit where you say peace be with you. In my experience, the clergymen tend to focus less on reasons why you should give lots to the collection, and more on sermons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Catholicism and Protestant Religion is one in the same...I've studied and attended both services extensively and have not found much difference between them

Obviously not extensively enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

pwd wrote: »
    You don't always have the option of taking part in holy communion in all protestant branches. It's not always a part of methodist services at all; some times it is only held occasionally: Methodists often abstain from alcohol completely, or at least be very temperate.
    In fact at least one Protestant denomination (the Salvation Army) don't celebrate communion at all.
    In my experience, the clergymen tend to focus less on reasons why you should give lots to the collection, and more on sermons.
    I wish this was universally true about Protestants.

pwd wrote: »
    You don't always have the option of taking part in holy communion in all protestant branches. It's not always a part of methodist services at all; some times it is only held occasionally: Methodists often abstain from alcohol completely, or at least be very temperate. When it is held, children are excluded (they can go to Sunday School for the latter part of the service). Protestants believe there is no physical transformation of the bread and wine into the body and blood of christ, and that it is symbolic, or spiritual only.

Methodist churches have communion once a month, every month - the first sunday in the month in most churches. This is with the same frequency as almost all Church of Ireland parish churches. Like most Protestant churches, children in the Methodist Church go to Sunday school during the service every week - communion sunday is no different. Alcohol may not be served on Methodist premises at any time. Consequently communion is served using unfermented wine. Children are not excluded from communion, in fact one might say that children are more welcome than in most churches as the Methodist Church practices an "open communion table" which is a broad invitation to all present to take communion. However, children, as in most Protestant churches, are generally at sunday school while communion is being taken. Like most Protestant churches, where children are present they would generally only take communion after they have made their confirmation - however, that is a personal choice.

If we would like to know about other denominations, it would be great if we could ask questions to each other, rather than stating anything with the air definitive authority, when it is in fact not accurate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Protestants took the soup :pac:

whats the soup? I think you'll find its alot more than "soup" whatever that is.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

johnfás wrote: »
    In answer to the original query, one does not of course have to be a member of any Protestant denomination to attend any church, on an irregular or regular basis. However, many people upon attending a church for a period of time may wish to have their membership transferred to that church. It is also the case that positions of lay responsibility in most denominations (eg serving on a parish committee) is limited to those who are members of the church - understandably so.

In order to formally change denomination, one would simply have to have attend for a period of time and have a discussion with their minister, who would be easily able to guide you through the formalities involved. I know of a number of instances of people transferring membership to Protestant churches but the Catholic Church maintains that they remain Catholic. You cannot conventionally transfer out of the Catholic Church so yes you would have to enter into their process of withdrawl (count me out and all that). This is because the Catholic Church does not formally (and I stress formally because in every practical sense it does) recognise the legitimacy of the Protestant churches in terms of apostolic succession. So you could either simply ask a minister where you are attending, and where you are sympathetic with the theology of that church, for them to record you as a member of that church - and the Catholic Church would likely also have records of your being a member there - or you could enter a process of formal withdrawl from the Catholic Church. From a practical sense it does not make much of a difference, though it may have some personal meaning for some people.

By way of example, the formal requirements for entering the membership of the Methodist Church is as follows:

Translating the somewhat archaic legalese (the above being denominational legislation) the above means basically someone who is committed to the church, and has undergone confirmation classes (which is basically what is referred to in 2.03) or someone who has been confirmed in another denomination but wishes to move denomination and satisfies a - c.

It is not possible to revoke one's baptism - the matter does not arise.

I wish you all the best in your search, there are lots of different churches out there with lots of different points of view, styles and emphases. You will find a home.

Can you transfer out of a protestant church?

Advertisement