Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Large Women/BBW

Options
  • 02-04-2010 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Okiee Ladies...

I know this topic is prob well worn out at this stage but I need to get an answer!

My question is... Do men actually not date large women due to the social circle they are in? Embarrassed by it?

You have the ones that really don’t care... But they’re few and far between... I actually thought it would get better when men get older but no chance!!

Anyone else in the same boat? Or have the same belief??

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I don't think that is the case. Buy maybe because I am that little bit older (32) the guys I know are more confident then that.

I know a couple of guys whos wives/gf's are significantly larger (and taller in one case then them). I'm a curvy gal, and my bf is really skinny. He genuinely doesn't notice how big I am. He can point out other girls who are definately smaller then I am and says that they are big!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Quite a lot of men like their ladies big and buxom;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I don't date large women because I don't find them attractive, nothing really else to it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

How are we defining 'large' and BBW cos it can range from someone who is a tall and broad size 18/20 with an hourglass figre to someone who is 5 foot nothing a size 32 and shaped like a sphere.

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I don't date large women because I don't find them attractive, nothing really else to it !

Its like comedy, a very very personal choice as to what you like and what you don't, Elaine Crowley is one hot chick in my eyes and she's a good size 14/16 (though she'd probably deny it:D), Can't stand stick thin birds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I won't think that a size 14/16 is big at all I would say it was average unless the woman was again only 5ft in height. Oh and a woman is only a bird when she goes out with a worm :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I think its a broad question.
    a woman whos 6.1 and sise 14 can be attractive,
    a woman thats 5.0 and sise 12 can look over weaight. as theaydhal said.

Look at sophie dhal shes 5.11 and a sise 12 ? id guess. Shes my dream girl....personally speaking I'm not to fussed as long as shes in shape im more fussy about how she dress's and its my deal braker.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭HPT

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Oh and a woman is only a bird when she goes out with a worm :P

:rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

a woman is only a bird when she goes out with a worm :P

thats a terrible thing to call des:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Don't get me wrong, I'd go for a well porportioned 12-14 and maybe even 16 if she can carry it very well. I just don't find women with weight just slapped on their frame attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

It's hardly something unique to only men, I wouldn't date a lare guy as, like Pyr0, I'm just not attracted to it...and he would most likely have a lifestyle the complete opposite of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Dubsta wrote: »
    My question is... Do men actually not date large women due to the social circle they are in? Embarrassed by it?

It's a simple issue of whether you are attracted to someone or not, if someone made me feel special I wouldn't be too worried about what my mates or family say. It's all about what makes me happy at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,070 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Hi from lads point of view I can see where what your saying OP. Guys can be cruel at times when comes to smart comments and funny thing is the ones who make them are no Brad Pitts themselves.

I rememeber the first time my mate brought out his then new girlfriend he was telling us for few weeks about her but he always kind felt nervous or something about meeting her, anyway when we did meet her yes she was large lady but she is prob the soundest and best craic girl you could ever meet. He lucky I suppose that mates are decent lads and just want what best for each other and they are going together 2 years now and he never been happier. I am delighted for him. But I do realise why he was little nervous in first place all had do with what his friends would think.

Bottom line is that there a match for everyone. If guys were slag a girl to his mates about there size then its those same guys who need to look in mirror in first place.

I won't think that a size 14/16 is big at all I would say it was average unless the woman was again only 5ft in height. Oh and a woman is only a bird when she goes out with a worm :P

I was being polite, she could be an 18 but she's tall and fit so carries it nicely!

I think its a broad question.
    a woman whos 6.1 and sise 14 can be attractive,
    a woman thats 5.0 and sise 12 can look over weaight. as theaydhal said.

Look at sophie dhal shes 5.11 and a sise 12 ? id guess. Shes my dream girl....personally speaking I'm not to fussed as long as shes in shape im more fussy about how she dress's and its my deal braker.

Preferred Sophie Dahl when she started modelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Pyr0 wrote: »

spot on there. of course there is nothing wrong with large women, or with guys who like that, but some guys are not attracted to larger women so no point pretending otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭TitoPuente

I think most men usually react to first appearances but, to be honest, if I met a girl who was an amazing person, her weight wouldn't bother me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭bazmaiden

considering that Ireland has such a high rate of overweight people I think it is a good question but personally i wouldn't date a really overweight woman but there is nothing wrong with a curvy lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Reeni

To be honest I think its all a matter of personal preference. There are all kinds of shapes and sizes and everyone has different likes and dislikes. For example I'm not personally attracted to guys who are I guess you could say, muscley guys. I like very tall, broad men with a bit of weight on them. Everyone has different ideas of whats attractive. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.:)

TitoPuente wrote: »
    her weight wouldn't bother me at all.

It might if she was sitting on your face!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

Men are more attracted to a slightly curvy woman than to a bony stick figure woman. Its an evolutionary thing. Studies show that at basic primal level, men want a strong mother who will give them healthy children. This means men will identify healthy women as being more attractive. Healthy being not chronically overweight, but not chonically underweight. This explains why despite our recent societal trends and fashions, having an underweight BMI remains undesirable to most men. Having said this, I don't believe men are magnetically drawn to obese women!! hey- most women aren't drawn to severely obese men so its pretty normal. I guess a healthy weight is desirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Dubsta

Hi from lads point of view I can see where what your saying OP. Guys can be cruel at times when comes to smart comments and funny thing is the ones who make them are no Brad Pitts themselves.

I rememeber the first time my mate brought out his then new girlfriend he was telling us for few weeks about her but he always kind felt nervous or something about meeting her, anyway when we did meet her yes she was large lady but she is prob the soundest and best craic girl you could ever meet. He lucky I suppose that mates are decent lads and just want what best for each other and they are going together 2 years now and he never been happier. I am delighted for him. But I do realise why he was little nervous in first place all had do with what his friends would think.

Bottom line is that there a match for everyone. If guys were slag a girl to his mates about there size then its those same guys who need to look in mirror in first place.

Good news story!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

I have always found whenever i went out with a larger girl they were always more fun, very bubbly and a good laugh in general. When i introduced them to my mates they wouldn't take a 2nd look or comment on her weight or any of that crap, they immediatly became part of my circle and were accepted by everyone in it. I liked one girl so much sure i married her and 6 years later we are still going strong and she has never had 1 negative comment, suppose we just hang around with the right kind of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Andrew33 wrote: »
    It might if she was sitting on your face!:D

This is not after hours.

Xiney wrote: »
    This is not after hours.

Sorry:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Do men actually not date large women due to the social circle they are in? Embarrassed by it?

Do women actually not date overweight men / short men due to the social circle they are in? Embarrassed by it?

I think most people would have enough confidence to go with what they want but of course some wouldnt

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

It would depend, I've gone out with girls who were curvy (stick thin doesnt do it for me) but none of which you'd call overweight, my missus thinks she is, she's a size 12 in most things which is perfectly fine for her height, and as I tell her, as long as she jiggles in all the right places I'm happy :D But someone who is actually obese? no thanks, short of some medical reason (I put on weight from being on steroids) obesity suggests laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,070 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Do men actually not date large women due to the social circle they are in? Embarrassed by it?

Do women actually not date overweight men / short men due to the social circle they are in? Embarrassed by it?

I think most people would have enough confidence to go with what they want but of course some wouldnt

I think you be surprised at how many would change cause of taughts friends would have

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭shoegirl

I do think that a lot of mature men (and I mean mature in outlook not years) see well beyond the obvious physical makeup of their mates. I have a colleague at work who is a large lady, she just has an unfortunate shape and not a pretty face - but an amazing person with an amazing brain. Her husband is an absolutely dish - he is simply gorgeous.

And he is absolutely mad about her - totally head over heels.

So I think at least some guys are mature enough to get beyond the stereotypes and see whats underneath or the whole person if you like. They are really happy and mad about each other.

What really pisses me off is that one of my straight female friends is absolutely 100% convinced that this guy isn't really into her - despite me constantly trying to get through to her that isn't the case.
    Needless to say, despite being a very attractive woman for her age, she's single, never married and has only had very unsatisfactory relationships. Being shallow doesn't get anybody anywhere - male or female.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Nokem

Men are more attracted to a slightly curvy woman than to a bony stick figure woman. Its an evolutionary thing. Studies show that at basic primal level, men want a strong mother who will give them healthy children. This means men will identify healthy women as being more attractive. Healthy being not chronically overweight, but not chonically underweight. This explains why despite our recent societal trends and fashions, having an underweight BMI remains undesirable to most men. Having said this, I don't believe men are magnetically drawn to obese women!! hey- most women aren't drawn to severely obese men so its pretty normal. I guess a healthy weight is desirable.

Must say from a lads perspective here i totally agree with this. Guys look for a girl in proportion. Really skinny or really overweight girls are not attractive but the boundaries between these definitions is in the opinion of the male or as popularly said "the eyes of the beholder". As well as this i think men like a girl with the hour glass figure because it shows the evolutionary point made above. Personally i find girls around the size 12-16 range depending on height very attractive but again it depends on proportion. In the end however the figure only gets you so far, then its down to your conversation skills:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement