Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mandatory DNA Testing at Birth ?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

iguana wrote: »
    I tried, but I'm not sure he believed me.:(

Poor iguana - it was his loss ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

seamus wrote: »
    Because presumably the mother will become the primary/sole care giver of the child and if you force her to have to repay the debt, the child may suffer. Obviously this is means dependent. It's the guy's problem because he's been landed in this situation through bad luck. It's not nice, but **** happens. Sometimes we all get landed with problems that we didn't create.

I would rank the welfare of the child above the compensation of the aggrieved party - as with any other case, if the mother can't afford to pay, she won't be forced to.
    I think that is what actually happens on the ground - it's the default position I think.
    Even though it would seem to qualify as "obtaining money through false pretence".

seamus wrote: »
    *Some* women and some men. All you have to do is watch all those crappy TV talk shows for a week to discover the astounding level of ignorance out there. You know all the myths that teenagers have around pregnancy - how you can't get pregnant on the first go, how you can't get pregnant standing up? There are women in their 20s and 30s who still believe these things. Just as there is no ceiling in the amount of knowledge you can have, there is no floor in the level of ignorance someone can have.

Imagine that a woman has sex with two men within the space of a week and a pregnancy results. One of them was her first time having sex. Is it really that hard to believe that she would be 100% certain that the first guy couldn't possibly be the father because it was her first time? That's not an unbelieveable scenario, that's reality.
    Maybe, but if a man used such ignorance as an excuse that meant he extracted possibly over one hundred thousand Euro or more from somebody else, I'm not sure courts or most people would be very forgiving and say "that's all right, you weren't to know. We don't expect you to pay the money back." Where's the disincentive not to do it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I think overanalysing this is counter productive.

What if a guy gets married on the basis of a paternity claim its relevant.

You have to draw a line and say some stuff is wrong and namby pamby wooly thinking on these issues are what gets us into these messes in the first place.

Its not a dudes fault if a woman gets pregnant and persuades him he is the father. It is her having sex with another dude that has caused the pregnancy.

So our boy has gotten dragged into it. Its really between the woman,the other dude and the child and the other dudes healthier sperm.

The common denominator here is the woman. Now the 2 guys have had sex with her but its the guy with the sperm that did the job is the guy with the liability for the maintenence and the one who should be paying.

The issue whether this is intentional is something else but she is the person whose actions have brought about the problem.Ethically she should be obliged to repay and should not benefit from it. It is not the dudes problem as he is not the father.She knows there is a risk and dna testing is available if she needs to establish it factually.

Advertisement