Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did Christinaity influence or create our Western cultures?

Options
  • 31-03-2010 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi folks
    A while ago I read on this board a really interesting response, where the responder went to a lot of trouble in asnwering someones questions with all sorts of bible verses and such. However I can't find it.
    Essentially it was a discussion on how the history of the development of Christianity over the last 2000 has determined our conflict oriented way of living and operating in the Western world both externally (eg crusades and wars - the idea of good versus evil) as well as internally (the idea of our desires and worldiness fighting inside us with obedience and Godliness).
    I am keen to hear these ideas again as they have been real food for thought to me, and am hoping whoever wrote them still reads the boards and could maybe enlighten me on how these two things are linked and what they have to back it up.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭santing

Maybe this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055825682 is what you are looking for...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭SMCG

No it wasn't that thread.
    It talked about how the conflict in Christianity between our spiritual nature and our earth bound or human nature led to the expression of that internal conflict externally with wars, crusades, etc.
    Any other ideas?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Natural Law as developed by St. Aquinas. AFAIK, the concept is that there exists a Divine law, from which Natural Law derives which is of higher value than man-made positive law. It was fairly important from Medivial to pre-Enlightenment times in Europe.
    It has staged a return to Jurisprudence favour after the Nuremberg trials. i.e. in a nutshell, "I was only obeying orders" defense is no longer valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

The history of the Church IS the history of the west.

Advertisement