Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conclusive scientific proof supporting christianity

Options
  • 11-02-2010 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Well i was reading around the internet and somthing i did not know before came to my attention, The dead sea scrolls, containing fragments of every book of the old testament with the exception of esther and have been dated to from between 250-150BC.

to me that is some sort of proof of when the old testament was written and as such someone predicted christ before he was born.

That said i have always believed there was a man names Jesus alive around 2000 years ago but always questioned if he was simply making it up or if he was what the bible says he was.

so basically in a nutshell i started this thread to find more things like this such as someone said in another thread "proof of the resurrection"

I can see reading back over this aswell it will probabaly get quiet heated before long so im going to post a similar thread in A&A for opinions from that forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭santing

The existence of science itself is ample conclusive scientific proof that supports christianity. Take away christianity, the christian culture and there would be no faculty possible called "science."

Just my two cents

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

santing wrote: »
    The existence of science itself is ample conclusive scientific proof that supports christianity. Take away christianity, the christian culture and there would be no faculty possible called "science."

Just my two cents

Are you suggesting non-christian countries have no science? Don't practice science? Would never have science if it wasn't for christianity? Really? :confused:

Are you suggesting non-christian countries have no science? Don't practice science? Would never have science if it wasn't for christianity? Really? :confused:
    No, that's not what I am saying.... Science is based on the idea that matter/life has a purpose and is searchable/reasonable. When a philosophy / religion doesn't offer these foundations than science as we know it can not exist. Take the old greeks - they were great thinkers, but in their mind you couldn't trust reality - so an experience was always wrong.

Non Christian cultures today can practice science - but the science is based on a Christian/Jewish/[Muslim] foundation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

For the most part they got it from civilisations with a long Christian history. It was no coincidence that that secular toleration, rationalism, and the scientific method have developed in those societies with the longest exposure to Christianity.

It was the Christian conviction that the world is created by God to run on orderly lines (rather than the pagan idea that physical phenomena were the actions of capricious deities) that motivated people like Bacon, Copernicus and Galileo to investigate how that worked.

I appreciate that much of science has been conducted by or under christians/christianity but it's a bit of a leap to suggest without christianity, there would be no science or, indeed, that the fact science exists is proof of christianity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I appreciate that much of science has been conducted by or under christians/christianity but it's a bit of a leap to suggest without christianity, there would be no science or, indeed, that the fact science exists is proof of christianity.

Indeed. A huge leap.
    Christianity is a far from a empirical philosophy.

Christianity was the religion with the most power and influence over society it is hardly surprising that it influenced modern science.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

No, that's not what I am saying.... Science is based on the idea that matter/life has a purpose and is searchable/reasonable. When a philosophy / religion doesn't offer these foundations than science as we know it can not exist. Take the old greeks - they were great thinkers, but in their mind you couldn't trust reality - so an experience was always wrong.

Non Christian cultures today can practice science - but the science is based on a Christian/Jewish/[Muslim] foundation.

Its funny that you mention the ancient greeks. They were not christian and yet were nothing short of prolific in terms on their contribution to many fields of science. In fact prolific is probably an understatement. Physics, astronomy, mathematics, chemistry (well, alchemy), medicine and also to engineering.

And I could give lots of examples of progresses made for any of these fields you choose. Clearly not based on christian culture and yet that didn't stop 'em.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

PDN wrote: »
    For the most part they got it from civilisations with a long Christian history. It was no coincidence that that secular toleration, rationalism, and the scientific method have developed in those societies with the longest exposure to Christianity.

It was the Christian conviction that the world is created by God to run on orderly lines (rather than the pagan idea that physical phenomena were the actions of capricious deities) that motivated people like Bacon, Copernicus and Galileo to investigate how that worked.

For the most part, christianity has consistently tried to undermine or slow scientific advances not in keeping with their ideals.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

For the most part, christianity has consistently tried to undermine or slow scientific advances not in keeping with their ideals.

That may be true, but Christianity isn't the only culprit here.
    • Ancient Islam Post Arabic Enlightenment : Mathematics are an enemy of God.
    • Tobacco Firms. (Harmful Smoking Denial)
    • Oil Companies. (Climate Change Denial)
    • Pharmaceutical Companies. (Thalimonide, Attempts to Exaggerate Swine Flu.)
    • Governments. (Iran : HIV doesn't exist. UK : Cannabis is NOT less lethal than Alcohol.)
    etc.

That is not borne out by history (as opposed to popular anti-theist propaganda). If that were so then societies without Christian influence would have been the ones that fully developed the scientific method.
    iUseVi wrote:
    Its funny that you mention the ancient greeks. They were not christian and yet were nothing short of prolific in terms on their contribution to many fields of science. In fact prolific is probably an understatement. Physics, astronomy, mathematics, chemistry (well, alchemy), medicine and also to engineering.
    Unfortunately the medieval reverence for the ancient Greeks also served to hinder scientific development. For example, the Catholic Church messed Galileo around because his discoveries, based on his Christian beliefs, contradicted the scientific orthodoxy of the day which idolised Aristotle. (We would all probably agree that the Church shouldn't have been acting as the guardians of scientific orthodoxy - but no-one else was really interested in science at the time so by default they were the equivalent of the Royal academy and the Nobel Committee of the day).

• Advertisement

which idolised Aristotle.
    And as Aristotle wasn't a christian (he was before BC) we can't blame the christian faith for this. If we bring in Christian faith than we can say that it was Church POWER versus christian faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Unfortunately the medieval reverence for the ancient Greeks also served to hinder scientific development. For example, the Catholic Church messed Galileo around because his discoveries, based on his Christian beliefs, contradicted the scientific orthodoxy of the day which idolised Aristotle. (We would all probably agree that the Church shouldn't have been acting as the guardians of scientific orthodoxy - but no-one else was really interested in science at the time so by default they were the equivalent of the Royal academy and the Nobel Committee of the day).

Fair point. I was just busting the myth that the Church was necessary, by showing that progress was being made before it existed. I won't claim that religion people/institutions cannot do science, or necessarily hinder it.

The ancient Greek society may not have been the ideal environment to stimulate science but I still think Santing's claim of "Take away christianity, the christian culture and there would be no faculty possible called "science." is completely erroneous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Eh, I'd argue that it was the solipsistic egotism of Aristotle's work that was of such appeal to the Church at the time rather than any curmudgeonly adherence to a strictly scientific orthodoxy. They assaulted his works as an affront to God, not as an affront to science. Now I'll concede that there were a couple of chuch-sponsored or clerical philosophers who disputed his work in a more rigorous and logical manner, but they were strictly in the minority.
    Now that's an interesting point. The key rescources that allow any civilisation to dominate it's neighbours happen to be abundant in Western Europe in particular, and numerous scholars have exploded the quaint, 19th C notion that the Wests pre-emminence was largely due to a cultural or racial superiority. I'd never really thought about the role of religion though. Was there something about the conditions so conducive to developement that also proved to be a better than average incubator of monotheistic religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

Flavius Josephus is a bit of a laugh.
    Written about the time of Christ, he was a Jew who reported back to Rome in plain language
    Its available as reprint.
    Simple, factual, stunningly honest.
    Its well worth a read.

Nevore wrote: »
    Eh, I'd argue that it was the solipsistic egotism of Aristotle's work that was of such appeal to the Church at the time rather than any curmudgeonly adherence to a strictly scientific orthodoxy. They assaulted his works as an affront to God, not as an affront to science. Now I'll concede that there were a couple of chuch-sponsored or clerical philosophers who disputed his work in a more rigorous and logical manner, but they were strictly in the minority.
    Much of the opposition to Galileo stemmed from Lodovico delle Colombe - not a churchman, but a devotee of Aristotle.

Actually Copernicus' and Galileo's ideas were much better received in areas where the Reformation had taken hold (for example, Discourses Concering Two New Sciences was published in the Netherlands).
    Now that's an interesting point. The key rescources that allow any civilisation to dominate it's neighbours happen to be abundant in Western Europe in particular, and numerous scholars have exploded the quaint, 19th C notion that the Wests pre-emminence was largely due to a cultural or racial superiority. I'd never really thought about the role of religion though. Was there something about the conditions so conducive to developement that also proved to be a better than average incubator of monotheistic religion?
    Time to dust off our copies of "Guns, Germs and Steel", eh? If I remember correctly Diamond's points applied more to Eurasia, rather than to Western Europe. China, for example, had a technological advantage and headstart over Europe - but that failed to develop for mainly cultural and religious reasons. So, while Christendom was seeking to obey the biblical mandate to 'subdue the earth', China was retreating into xenophobia and isolation, including enacting the death penalty for explorers who built ships, because they thought a fire in Beijing was a sign of the gods' displeasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Much of the opposition to Galileo stemmed from Lodovico delle Colombe - not a churchman, but a devotee of Aristotle.
    Puhleeze! Contra Ill Moto Dell Terra was peppered with quotes from the Bible. Sure, he argued with some semblance of logical thought but the treatise is blatantly supportive of theism in general and the Churchs position on the solar system specifically.
    Time to dust off our copies of "Guns, Germs and Steel", eh? If I remember correctly Diamond's points applied more to Eurasia, rather than to Western Europe. China, for example, had a technological advantage and headstart over Europe - but that failed to develop for mainly cultural and religious reasons. So, while Christendom was seeking to obey the biblical mandate to 'subdue the earth', China was retreating into xenophobia and isolation, including enacting the death penalty for explorers who built ships, because they thought a fire in Beijing was a sign of the gods' displeasure.
    Never actually read it! Collapse was good though. :)

It was always my understanding that China sputtered just after the start line because of geographical concerns. Whoooole other thread though, and looks like I need to do some re-reading before it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

Just my two cents

Says the guy who posted about a creationism lecture yesterday. :pac:

That comment is absolutely ridiculous.

For the most part they got it from civilisations with a long Christian history.

uh huh.

Might want to tell that to the ancient greeks, the Indians, the Chinese, the Japanese or the Koreans etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ancient_Greek_technology
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Indian_science_and_technology
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_science_and_technology_in_China

Christianity has been a hinderence to science more then once and to suggest science itself mostly came about because of christianity is ludicrous.
    It was no coincidence that that secular toleration, rationalism, and the scientific method have developed in those societies with the longest exposure to Christianity.

Thats just plain wrong.

Christianity today is one of the most intolerant religions in the world. If you want tolerance look up Buddhism or Hinduism, hardly clean records themselves but far better then Christianity today.

Rationalism ? Lets just pick one example shall we ? Who were the strongest denialists of dinosaurs a few hundred years ago ? (And probably still today)

The scientific method has nothing to thank Christianity for.

Christians have made a large contribution to Science but it was most certainly not because of their Christianity.

Oh is it a match between Paganism and Christianity only ? If thats the case then you've probably got a point here, which religion was more 'beneficial' to Science ? if thats the question then I'd have to say Christianity too.

monosharp wrote: »

No-one is denying that technology has existed in various cultures. But I was referring to something very distinct, the development of the scientific method. Historians agree, for example, that Chinese technology was, at one time, streets ahead of the West - but for some reason they consistently failed to transfer or develop the obvious principles behind a piece of technology to other fields of knowledge.

For example, I quote from Science and Technology in World History:An Introduction by James E. McClellan III and Harold Dorn:
    Traditional Chinese thought also lacked a concept of “laws of nature.”
    Unlike Islam or the Christian West, Chinese civilization did not
    entertain notions of a divine, omnipotent lawgiver who issued fixed
    commandments for humans and for nature. Especially after the failure
    of the Legalists, Chinese society by and large was not subject to strictly
    defined positive law and law codes; the more flexible concepts of justice
    and custom generally governed Chinese legal proceedings. As a
    result, it made no sense for Chinese intellectuals to inquire into laws of
    nature or to find motivation for scientific efforts to discover order in
    God’s handiwork.
    Science and Technology in World History:An Introduction by James E. McClellan III and Harold Dorn (page 139)

The application of the scientific method, as fully developed in societies with long exposure to Christianity, meant that in the West they quickly adopted Chinese technological inventions and applied them to other areas of life and built upon them.
    Christianity has been a hinderence to science more then once and to suggest science itself mostly came about because of christianity is ludicrous.
    I agree that on occasions Christianity can be a hindrance to science, and sometimes that is good. For example, Nazi scientists were able, by casting off the Christian values that Hitler despised, to carry out experimentation on Jewish children. At other times one form of Christianity might have hindered science but other forms encouraged it - a good example is how the Reformers' urge to produce printing presses and disseminate the Bible provided an environment in Holland where Galileo's works could be published.

The point is that no-one is arguing that conflicts between religion and science have never existed - but overall it should be obvious to any student of history (rather than some propagandaist grinding an axe) that Christianity facilitated the development of the scientific method and the spread of knowledge. It is asinine to argue that pure coincidence accounts for why the same societies with the greatest exposure to Christianity were the same ones that developed scientifically, and which first produced the kind of rational thinking and toleration most of us value today.
    Christianity today is one of the most intolerant religions in the world. If you want tolerance look up Buddhism or Hinduism, hardly clean records themselves but far better then Christianity today.
    I suggest you do some reading up on Hinduism. A good place to start might be the Partition of India. Both Muslims and Hindus killed hundreds of thousands.

Then you could try finding out what's happening in Orissa State in India where Christians are being raped and killed by Hindu fundamentalists.

Then you might like to investigate a movement like the BJP, whose extremely intolerant right-wing version of Hinduism attracts the support of hundreds of millions of Hindu voters in India.

Christendom, like all ideologies, has some horrible stains on its past - but to try to portray Christianity today as being generally intolerant is a joke.
    Rationalism ? Lets just pick one example shall we ? Who were the strongest denialists of dinosaurs a few hundred years ago ? (And probably still today)
    You and I both know that YECs are a small minority group. For you to try to use that to deny the historic role of Christianity in the development of science and rationalism is, quite honestly, pathetic. Get a grip, man, you're smarter than that.
    The scientific method has nothing to thank Christianity for.

Christians have made a large contribution to Science but it was most certainly not because of their Christianity.
    Your ideological commitment is noted - but history is against you. Many of the great thinkers and scientific pioneers of history professed that their investigations were prompted by their faith in an orderly universe that sprang from their religious beliefs.
    Oh is it a match between Paganism and Christianity only ? If thats the case then you've probably got a point here, which religion was more 'beneficial' to Science ? if thats the question then I'd have to say Christianity too.
    From a historical perspective it is about 'which religion' because atheism was for the most part non-existent. Atheism has, in the main, been able to develop more recently thanks to the greater toleration achieved in societies with a great exposure to Christianity (which is why we can have this discussion on a message board in Ireland rather than one in Iran or North Korea).

The application of the scientific method, as fully developed in societies with long exposure to Christianity, meant that in the West they quickly adopted Chinese technological inventions and applied them to other areas of life and built upon them.

PDN, I am not going to answer you, just suggest you read about the subject.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_scientific_method

You are incorrectly trying to associate your belief system with something which is completely foreign to such a thing.
    I agree that on occasions Christianity can be a hindrance to science, and sometimes that is good. For example, Nazi scientists were able, by casting off the Christian values that Hitler despised, to carry out experimentation on Jewish children.

Do you really want to go down this route ? I can start listing out atrocities caused by Christians if you'd like but its a road we've both traveled far too often.
    The point is that no-one is arguing that conflicts between religion and science have never existed - but overall it should be obvious to any student of history (rather than some propagandaist grinding an axe) that Christianity facilitated the development of the scientific method and the spread of knowledge.

No PDN, it is not. Please see the previously linked page.
    It is asinine to argue that pure coincidence accounts for why the same societies with the greatest exposure to Christianity were the same ones that developed scientifically, and which first produced the kind of rational thinking and toleration most of us value today.

That existed long before Christianity did.
    I suggest you do some reading up on Hinduism. A good place to start might be the Partition of India. Both Muslims and Hindus killed hundreds of thousands.

Again, I know the slates not clean and I know what your telling me is the truth.

I also know that right now my brother-in-law is been dragged to church because of his wife and her family, I also know that if he didn't pretend to be Christian he would not be married to her, I also know that he has been forced to abandon many of his cultures ancient traditions because of the Christian view of them.

I also know that Catholics, Some Muslims, Hindus, Japanese Shinto's and other religions have no tolerance problem with the above.
    Christendom, like all ideologies, has some horrible stains on its past - but to try to portray Christianity today as being generally intolerant is a joke.

Oh please explain how its not ? because we've had this conversation many times and it seemed to be the general conclusion that intolerance based on religion is 'acceptable' in places like Universities, family matters etc. Did I take you up incorrectly ?
    You and I both know that YECs are a small minority group. For you to try to use that to deny the historic role of Christianity in the development of science and rationalism is, quite honestly, pathetic. Get a grip, man, you're smarter than that.

A hundred+ years ago it wasn't YECs who were protesting against dinosaurs etc, it was very mainstream Christianity, but yes you are right, today its not an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Bduffman

Science is based on the idea that matter/life has a purpose

Since when? Science is probably more open to the idea that life has no purpose other than the continuation of its own existence.

Its more about the what & when rather than the who & why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

lostboy wrote: »
    to me that is some sort of proof of when the old testament was written and as such someone predicted christ before he was born.
    Practically every religion has a saviour who is coming / has come / will come again. The main point of contention amongst mono-theists is which of the above is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

I think the point that the previous poster was making was that although the Greeks and the Chinese were obviously very advanced they didn't make the connection between theoretical study and practical application, between positing a theory and testing or applying it.

Those people who came out of the Christian tradition (out of what we might call Christendom) did. Now I'm not saying that there is necessarily a link between the Catholic (and later Prodestant) Christian religion and the development of the scientific process, that would be harmfully reductive, but it is something to consider, perhaps the scientific ethos owes more to the Catholic/Prodestant ethic than currently accepted.

Also the only reason to dust off a copy of Guns, Germs and Steel is to burn it. That book is the bane of every serious historian, so many oversimplified, easy answers. It makes me depressed just thinking about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Religion is ultimately about trying to make sense of the world.

It is, in my humble opinion, a particularly bad way of making sense of the world, but it should really be of no surprise that some religious people are driven to find out more about the universe and to test what they discover in a more systematic fashion.

I think it is slightly inaccurate to say that Christianity motivates science. I think it is more accurate to say that the drive that makes some people Christians (or any other religion) is the same drive that makes them scientist, a drive to understand the world around them.

A desire to understand leads people to religion and it leads people to science and sometimes it leads people to both.

Getting back to the OP's post. Prophecies are only impressive if they are very specific and those who fulfill them are not aware of their existence.

The Bible prophecies fail both these requirements.

They are too general thus giving too many combinations they can be fulfilled that it is not surprising that someone eventually will come along claiming to fulfill them and end up having a life that can be fit into their narrative. It is like horoscopes. They are general enough that they fit most people but written in such a way as to make the person reading feel it was written specifically for them because they take the context of their life and apply it retroactively back onto the horoscope.

They were also well known to Jesus and his followers (who wrote down the account of his life years later). It is easy to "tweak" any specific details, such as him being born in Bethlehem after the fact. Was Jesus actually born in Bethlehem? Who knows. There is no way to verify that independently of what is claimed by the religion, and if Jesus or his followers where lying about details of Jesus' past to make it fit better with older prophecies they certainly wouldn't have been the first or the last cult members to do that.

Wicknight wrote: »
    I think it is slightly inaccurate to say that Christianity motivates science. I think it is more accurate to say that the drive that makes some people Christians (or any other religion) is the same drive that makes them scientist, a drive to understand the world around them.

As I was saying before, it is impossible to say.

You could easily make the claim that scientific discovery is encouraged by whatever ethic Western Christianity provides people with.

In the same way that you can make the claim that the ethos of christianity is fundamentally opposed to science.

There is information supporting both sides of the argument. as well as individual instances of any church promoting and suppressing scientic endeavours.

The point I was making was that I cannot see a way that one could form a definitive opinion one way or the other, only very subjective personal ones.

I was just reacting to several posters who for some reason think it self evident that christianity has been detremental to science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Glenster wrote: »
    I was just reacting to several posters who for some reason think it self evident that christianity has been detremental to science.

The problem with Christianity, and religion in general, is this idea of revealed truth

The foundations of religion are based on the idea that certain facts about the universe have been revealed to us by higher powers. This includes the "good news" the particular religion is presenting to its followers.

The issue being of course when someone comes along and demonstrates that what is supposed to have been revealed to us from a higher power to be true isn't actually true.

At which point the authority is called into question, which can be something a lot of people have trouble with because the authority is ultimately the same authority that is promising the good thing. Christians might not care too much about the specifics of the Genesis Flood, or Scientologists about how an Auditor is supposed read your theons, but they do care about the promise of salvation or the idea that your mental health will improve. And because all these claims are supposed to be revealed truths from authority, if you question one you call into question the authority itself.

So if one bit isn't true people begin to wonder why they shouldn't believe that the other bit is true. This leads to a range of responses, including in some a desire to suppress the evidence that the first bit isn't true to ultimately save the authority from question or doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

monosharp wrote: »

While I agree with what you're saying, I don't think you're being clear here. I'd say a lot of christians were inspired by their religion to go looking for answers but it was only their motivation to go looking that came from their religion, the contributions themselves owe nothing to christian teachings. Christians only made progress when they didn't assume the truth of christianity or when assuming it to be true was at best not a bad a hindrance to their work (eg Newton believing in a literal genesis wouldn't have hindered his work in physics)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

do we really need scientific proof that christianity exists? its pretty obvious it does to me. the questions is weather or not what christians believe in exists and i dont see how the existence of science in any way proves or disproves the existence of god, am i missing something op?

PeakOutput wrote: »
    do we really need scientific proof that christianity exists? its pretty obvious it does to me. the questions is weather or not what christians believe in exists and i dont see how the existence of science in any way proves or disproves the existence of god, am i missing something op?

The title is asking for "scientific proof supporting christianty", ie supporting the beliefs of christianity, not proof that christianity exists! :P

• Advertisement

Wicknight wrote: »
    The problem with Christianity, and religion in general, is this idea of revealed truth

I suppose philosophically you could have a problem with the idea of revealed truth.

But only in the way that you could have a problem with any assumption.

Or indeed the innate human disposition to listen to someone in authority.

How many of us can prove that 1+1=2, I am aware that there is a proof out there and have seen it but I would make no claim to understanding. Yet I and most other people would have no problem asserting that 1+1=2, considering it self-evident.

We make leaps of faith like this every day and it doesn't seem right to single out religion as the only or the most severe perpetrator of revealed knowledge.

Advertisement