Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Friday Low Pressure System

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Did it rain heavy on Monday? News to me..

did you not get rain mon/tues????
    rained sleeted that much that my garden front and back is flooded still,dont want anymore rain,will just add to the flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Did it rain heavy on Monday? News to me..

As I suspected Helen's Bay seems to have recorded the most rain from Monday/Tuesday's event - had my rain gauge been working :rolleyes: I'm sure I would have recorded something similar or perhaps even more than 54.2mm:
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2010/ht20100401.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

will we get any hill snow outta this... one question the snow on one mountain at the top right corner is gone lol but there has been no sun there.. is there a chance is fell down hill or something lol.... hill behind me still has tons and tons... hopefully it snows up there to give them top up.

snowjon wrote: »
    As I suspected Helen's Bay seems to have recorded the most rain from Monday/Tuesday's event - had my rain gauge been working :rolleyes: I'm sure I would have recorded something similar or perhaps even more than 54.2mm:
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2010/ht20100401.html

that shows about 40mm for ballykelly so that must mean something close to 30 -35cm fell on the hill behind me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Good forenoon everyone.

Light rain here, hopefully it will get heavier. How come the UK met office radar has most of Ireland cut off?

Must have rained on that hill owen, same thing happened here... one of the mountains was covered in snow, a cloud covered it for a couple of hours then all the snow had gone, then it was back again the next morning, meanwhile other mountains around it still had snow.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

The Valentia 06Z sounding shows some marked mid/upper level cooling behind the front, with a convective temperature of around 7-8°C. With further upper cooling taking place throughout the day and a good clearance already making its way through Kerry and Cork, we look like we may be in business later! ;)

2010040206.03953.skewt.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

Fairly typical Easter weather I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Just bit overcast in Galway at the moment, 9C and drying out from the earlier rain.
    Ohh and a big shout out to my top compatibility matches from yesterday Deep Easterly and Weathercheck, WolfeIRE was on there as well ;)

snow ghost wrote: »
    Good forenoon everyone.

Light rain here, hopefully it will get heavier. How come the UK met office radar has most of Ireland cut off?

Must have rained on that hill owen, same thing happened here... one of the mountains was covered in snow, a cloud covered it for a couple of hours then all the snow had gone, then it was back again the next morning, meanwhile other mountains around it still had snow.

no but the rest of the hill is totally covered.. my hill behind is totally covred!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

nilhg wrote: »
    This is the nearest AWS to me that I know of, 30mm between Monday and Tuesday morning.

Fair enough! :). Didn't get quite so much this side with a daily total of just over 20mm, which accumulated over much of day by light to mod rain with just the odd heavier burst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭Speak Now

owenc wrote: »
    no but the rest of the hill is totally covered.. my hill behind is totally covred!:D

Best hill in Ireland FrostyJoe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

owenc wrote: »

Looks like it could be a clear case of snow theft then. ;)

snow ghost wrote: »
    Good forenoon everyone.

Just a spell of light/occ mod rain here to with 3.6mm recorded in total. Clouds are trying to break at the moment but not really being successful as of yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Su Campu wrote: »
    We need to keep an eye on how temperatures are reacting tomorrow afternoon, if we get above 8 then we're in business!

Reached the magic 8.0C here!:pac: The sun is yet to show itself though..

trogdor wrote: »
    Reached the magic 8.0C here!:pac: The sun is yet to show itself though..

Just broken the 8.0c barrier here, and there is a couple of light looking showers breaking out to my east. Su's 8.0c theory seems to be working :eek:

Edit 2.27pm. Heavy shower now, although clouds don't look that dark or sinister. Rain rate at 17.1mm/ph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Up to 8.9C with the sun out now and a bit of cumulus around

Despite the benign looking cloudscapes here there seems to be heavy showers breaking out at random in my locality. Still raining here but much lighter. 1.2mm so far since it started around 2.25pm. Temp back down to 6.5c at the mo.

Edit: Rain Rate back up to 18.0mm/ph

Edit Edit: Signs of intensification as it moves to my north:

DSC02346.jpg

Sharp clearance just to my south. Still stuck under heavy spurts here. Total from shower so far at 3.0mm.

Showers are just starting to pop up on the radar now, and should intensify over the next couple of hours. The 12Z sounding shows a cool surface (6.2°C), but further inland temperatures are now up to 10°C and the latest satellite shows the convection nicely. Note the small circulation forming to the southeast of the Wexford coast, it's almost like a pseudo polar low system, but without the weather!

109617.jpg

2010040212.03953.skewt.gif

We should see maximum activity up to around 6pm before things start to diminish.

That little circulation off the southeast coast seems to be in an area of increased upward motion (cyan) and cold temperature advection (dark blue) at 700hPa. The very steep low level lapse rates cause strong upward motion, which leads to the formation of the small meso low.

109619.jpg

Skies are moderately convective here at the mo but sunny spells are scant and very brief while temp remains stubbornly low. 8.1c currently. All the darker stuff is to my south and west.

Seems to be a few sharp showers bubbling up at the moment over parts of the midwestern region in particular:

109620.gif

Edit: Nice if small looking shower moving over Galway Bay/North Clare at the mo. Current Docks cam grab:

109621.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Nice heavy hail shower just passed through here. Bigger hail than I'm used to seeing. Hope there's plenty of that on the way.:D

Skies are pretty demented looking to my SW now but all it is doing is preventing any sunshine breaking through thus keeping it cool and damp. A definite NE breeze now, so an inflow thing going on at the mo. :)

C'mon c'mon, let's get going! :mad: It's not turning out quite as planned in the east anyway, some shortlived cells alright but I thought there'd be more oomph to them! Galway and Clare seem to be doing the best out of all this though, with some red returns just north of Galway city. ;)

WEB_radar_201004021600.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Plenty of hail showers in Galway City over the last few hours.

C'mon c'mon, let's get going! :mad:

Ditto. Mad looking and dark here but shower won't hit me. Looks to be weakening rapidly on its SE flank*..

* the bit that is heading for me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,068 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Very heavy shower here in Castlebar around 5pm,however theres not much more on the way by the looks of it.

Shower is just refusing to make it up here. Would go for a drive south but can't be arsed. Ah well, nice to see some half decent convection going on anyways. :)

Shower is just refusing to make it up here. Would go for a drive south but can't be arsed. Ah well, nice to see some half decent convection going on anyways. :)

Shower made it up after :) Heavy hail and rain shower at the mo. Winds have dropped of to calm and shower still looks like it is decaying rapidly. Feeling quite cold.

Yeah, it didn't go quite to plan, it seemed as soon as the temperatures were high enough, they got knocked back down by the very showers they were making! :rolleyes: But hey, it's only early April....this was just a taster! And then there's July, with its Spanish plumes. I bet this year we'll get one drag 25°C dewpoints up this way and set off an MCS the width of the country! :D And it'll happen just when I'm away on holidays.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yeah, it didn't go quite to plan, it seemed as soon as the temperatures were high enough, they got knocked back down by the very showers they were making! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Was just thinking the same thing myself Su, surface heating just didn't get going. I would estimate about 30mins total sunshine here today due building showers. :mad:

Advertisement