Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft announce project natal release date

Options
  • 31-03-2010 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭

As Microsoft are set to announce the release date for Natal as the 10/10/10 are people excited? Will anybody be making this a definite purchase and will Natal change the gaming world or will it just simply fail and dissapear into the background like so many other revolutionary products!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭paul150

Source? i have no interest in it at all, just prefer using a normal controller rather than motion control or natal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

where did you hear 10-10-10. the release date wont be known until E3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Source? Also, no, I couldn't give a ****e.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I play games lying on my bed so I'm kind of screwed.

Also 10/10/10. Isn't that the day the world ends?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Same here.

12/21/12 (US format) I think is when the world is ending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

amacachi wrote: »
    12/21/12 (US format) I think is when the world is ending.

Exactly so whats the point in spending money on this crap :rolleyes:

Depends on price/games for me

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

MS haven't really shown anything that would be interesting for Natal. So will be sticking to my normal controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Confirmed no?

Yes I think I will - I've just discovered the buzzer and singing/guitar games and realising the fun that can be had without a controller.

Still love my fps games though but I will definitely look at this project natal closely..

• Registered Users Posts: 43,806 ✭✭✭✭Basq

No confirmed release date..

.. although this was recently put up at Amazon and deleted!

Could be nothing though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Retr0gamer wrote: »

You could strap it to the ceiling pointing straight down !!

But explaining that to any lady unfortunate enough to end up there that its a camera but not that kind of camera but a 3D one that recognises movements ...ah....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,182 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

have no interest in this Natal stuff at all, 99% sure I won't be buying it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

My concern for Natal is that just like 3D tech in films has made the recent big blockbusters all HAVE to have 3D and be shot for 3D (and written for 3D in many cases).

When Natal comes out and is promoted to bejaysis by MS, the games that come out after that for a good while are going to be Natal-oriented.

Not many people have a big wide front room needed for it either...

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

This date was leaked to a gaming website who included it in their online mag edition. I stress this is just rumour though and no date has officially been revealed.
    If the price is right and there are some quality games then initially I think this will be a success, however I do question the long term viability of Natal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I don't worry too much about the supposed release date. I have to admit to being curious about the Natal technology and how it could be integrated to games. The lead Developer for Splinter Cell Conviction (who also worked on Rainbow Six and Assassins Creed) had some interesting ideas - not using Natal solely as the interface, but as an addition to the regular controller ... e.g. for giving team members orders in R6 - 'Oy, you two. Go over there'. That type of thing.

Lets see how it all pans out at E3 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

I doubt they would release it on a Sunday. 10-10-10 would be alright for marketing but a Sunday??

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

As you apparently need 13ft of space to use it, it'd be of no use to me.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

yea, I'm not sure if I'm arsed with Natal tbh. I have no real problem with the concept and I hope the tech works as well as they are saying, but I can't see it being my thing.

Also, I live in a *tiny* bedsit so won't have any room for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,141 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'll wait for the killer app to come out, or it becomes really cheap. Other than that I've no interest at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

As you apparently need 13ft of space to use it, it'd be of no use to me.
    It's likely that the 13ft / 4m of space is not the minimum requirement - it supposedly auto adjusts the play area. That's probably the optimum size, but they would be shooting themselves in the foot to have it as a Minimum.

http://kotaku.com/5500643/microsoft-natal-does-not-discriminate-against-living-rooms

DeVore wrote: »
    My concern for Natal is that just like 3D tech in films has made the recent big blockbusters all HAVE to have 3D and be shot for 3D (and written for 3D in many cases).

When Natal comes out and is promoted to bejaysis by MS, the games that come out after that for a good while are going to be Natal-oriented.

Not many people have a big wide front room needed for it either...

DeV.

Could be like when the six axis controller came out on PS3 games had to crow bar in the feature that was completely useless and unwanted. Now its almost non exsitent in games.

Price and games is what will make or break it. If its over 100euro and only has party games it will flop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

they'll have to price it below €100, ill say €80-90 but knowing ms they'll overcharge but i don't think they will or can if they want everyone to have it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I fear that Natal won't get much support after a few tech demo games (why hello, SuperScope!) and probably Fable III so I'm gonna have to wait for a list of a few games that I really wanna play before shelling out bucks on another useless peripheral

(Still waiting to use my Wii Motion + :(, feel like a damn fool for buying it)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭rizzla

The main draw for me is, you only need 1 Natal. With the Wii, you need the wii-motes and sometimes the nunchuks. PS Move, the PS eye and the Move and the sub controller. Just 1 natal will give me access to some silly casual games I'd only bring out at parties but it's handy because there's just 1 of em.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Certainly interesting times ahead! Ive seen alot of the playstation move and that looks terrible. Its trying to rip off the wii. Hopefully microsoft will come good on the hype and delivery a quality product worth investing in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

10/10/10 is a sunday btw

not traditionally a strong day for product launches lol

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭passingthrough

does anyone know what kind of a price range we are to expect for Natal?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

Yawn. *Goes back to Sega Mega drive collection.*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Looks interestin, tonight's the first time Ive heard much about it.

Even though the add strains to make it look seamless, imagine what an EA boxing game would be like on it if it was good!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'm looking forward to Natal, as I think a lot of people are undervaluing it.

I'm not a massive casual gamer (I have a Wii that's been used about 2 times in the last 2 years!), but I can see the draw of Natal.
    Not for the casual games, which I'm sure will be fun and stuff, but for it's intergration into the ore serious games.

Everyone keeps thinking of it in the Wii mold, and I'm sure a lot of it will be so, but it has so many other possible applications.

It's got a microphone system that can not only recognise multiple different voices, but even tell your position in a room instantaniously.

What's confused me however is that people aen't picking up on so many of the posotives.
    Unlike the Wii or PS Move, you ae not limited to having to use a crappy controller.

Any game that uses Natal, will be able to incorporate the Xbox controller into it.
    Using Natal as an additional outlet, rather than a replacement.

As was mentioned earlier, Natal would be great for Rainbow 6 type games.
    Taking into account that Natal is able to differentiate individual fingers, the idea of being able to use hand gestures to control your squad mates, while having the controler in my hand for the actuall gaming is something that does interest me.
    I can imagine that it would help immerse you in the game.

Puzzle/adventure games, in the Fable mode, would be able to bring in outside influences.
    The using of the camera to map you in to the game as the character.
    If you've played Fightnight Round 4, then the ability to immerse yourself in the game using the camera in a much easier way than uploading photos onto a website.
    (I know you could use the xbox camera, but only about 12 people ever bought them!)

Looking down the line, can you imagine being able to have your voice in the game.
    You buy a GTA/Saints Row type game, and rather than being left with a generic voice and face, you could have your face mapped on teh 3D camera, and record the particular sayings yourself.
    That way, again, Natal is allowing you to use the same old game mechanics, but at the same time immersing you more in the game.

The ability to control the xbox through voice commands is also promising.
    Pausing a game or dvd, connecting with friends, xbox live chat with no more headphones, etc, all ways of improving on normal gaming without taking away the current controller interface.

Games like Scene it/Buzz without the controllers, freeing up more people to play rather than limiting you to just 4 players sharing plastic remotes!

All in all, as long as Natal does what it says on the tin, and is reasonably priced, I can imagine it being a very handy bit of kit, for more serious, as well as the casual gamers

• Advertisement

Got to test this out today. Its impressive to be fair. Played the dodgeball game its very responsive follows your movement very accurately with no delay.

Advertisement