Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest lineup for UFC 116, July 3rd, MGM Grand Las Vegas.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,199 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Crap!

Might not happen at all now. Kongo says he has a back injury and may not be fit for July.

Brian Foster is off the card too, he broke his leg.

Blow of the potential loss of Nelson vs Kongo is softened by the arrival of Thiago Alves!

http://www.tmz.com/2010/04/28/thiago-alves-ufc-fighter-brain-surgery-return-ufc-116-brain-irregularity-artery-vein/

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭bret69

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Blow of the potential loss of Nelson vs Kongo is softened by the arrival of Thiago Alves!

http://www.tmz.com/2010/04/28/thiago-alves-ufc-fighter-brain-surgery-return-ufc-116-brain-irregularity-artery-vein/

Some of the comments below that story are funny..."he never had a brain injury, it was all made up" and "this is NOT a sport"! Morons!

Roy Nelson thinks he's fighting Frank Mir.
    http://fiveouncesofpain.com/2010/05/01/roy-nelson-i-think-im-supposed-to-be-fighting-frank-mir/
    Roy Nelson: I think I’m supposed to be fighting Frank Mir
    Posted by M.C. Castaneda on Saturday, May 1, 2010 at 10:24 am· 14 Comments
    With a fight rumored for UFC 116 against the towering Cheick Kongo, The Ultimate Fighter Season 10 champion Roy Nelson (15-4 MMA, 2-0 UFC) recently paid a visit to the island of Oahu to corner a few of his students from his school including former TUF housemate Scott Junk (6-2-1 MMA) at the inaugural “Galaxy MMA: Worlds Collide” event on May 1 from the Neal S. Blaisdell arena in Honolulu, Hawaii.
    FiveOuncesofPain.com had the chance to sit down with “Big Country” during the event’s press conference to discuss his training partner, and his upcoming bout.
    During the filming of TUF season 10, Roy Nelson and Scott Junk developed a friendship that would carry on after the show. Looking to improve as a fighter, Junk enlisted the help of Nelson and took a trip to The Country Club in Las Vegas to work with Big Country.
    “Scott just wanted to up his game,” said Nelson, who went on to say that he felt he ‘could help improve Junk’s fundamentals…and make his game a little bit better.’
    When asked if Junk sought out Nelson’s help because Big Country owns a previous TKO victory when they faced each other in the IFL, Nelson replied, “It just happens that he [Junk] is fighting Fabiano…it’s just a coincidence.”
    When speaking about his rumored upcoming fight with Cheick Kongo at UFC 116 on July 3rd, Nelson was quick to respond, “I believe that is still part of the rumor mill, cause I think I‘m supposed to be fighting Frank Mir too.”
    Nelson went on to jokingly say, “I think I might fight them all in the same day.”
    While he believes that he is more likely to face Mir, nothing is official. That said Nelson has started formulating a game plan for both Kongo and Mir.
    When speaking about Kongo, Nelson stated that, “He’s right in the mix…he’s a tough guy, but the one thing he has lacked in the past is his wrestling.”
    Nelson went on to say, “I’m hopin’ I get the best Cheick Kongo that I’ve ever seen; if that’s the fight I fight.”
    Presuming that Nelson does fight Kongo on July 3rd, the question was posed whether he felt obligated to have a “patriotic” cage entrance since he would be somewhat representing the USA against a Frenchman the day before the Nation’s birthday.
    “I think maybe I might come in to the Star Spangled Banner, but I can always fall back to Weird Al… you know I’m Fat,’ said Nelson.
    Nelson will be on the island for another week, relaxing and taking a break before heading home to Las Vegas to start training. Against who is anyone’s guess.

Good matchup.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

MMAJunkie.com

The UFC today officially announced "UFC 116: Lesnar vs. Carwin" for July 3 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) first reported the possibility of the event in February, and the UFC removed all doubt today.

The event will feature its namesake participants, as UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar (4-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) makes his long-awaited return to the cage and defends his title against undefeated interim champion Shane Carwin (12-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Didnt Mir and Nelson bounce at the same clubs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

not sure about that, there's a video on youtube of them competing at a grappling tournie

Might as well bump this back up now, event is only a few weeks away.

Official card...

Prelims
    John Madsen (5-0) vs Karlos Vemola (7-0)
    Daniel Roberts (9-1) vs Julio Paulinho (18-3)
    Gerald Harris (15-2) vs Dave Branch (6-0)

Spike TV Prelims
    Kendall Grove (13-7) vs Goran Reljic (8-1)
    Brendan Schaub (6-1) vs Chris Tuscherer (18-2)

Main Card
    George Sotiropolous (12-1) vs Kurt Pellegrino (21-4)
    Krystov Soszynski (20-10) vs Stefan Bonner (14-7)
    Chris Lytle (38-17) vs Matt Brown (13-8)
    Wanderlei Silva (33-10) vs Yoshihiro Akiyama (13-1)
    Brock Lesnar (4-1) vs Shane Carwin (12-0)

Ricardo Romero vs Seth Petruzelli is also rumoured for the undercard but not confirmed on ufc.com as yet.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Might as well bump this back up now, event is only a few weeks away.

Official card...

Prelims
    John Madsen (5-0) vs Karlos Vemola (7-0)
    Daniel Roberts (9-1) vs Julio Paulinho (18-3)
    Gerald Harris (15-2) vs Dave Branch (6-0)

Spike TV Prelims
    Kendall Grove (13-7) vs Goran Reljic (8-1)
    Brendan Schaub (6-1) vs Chris Tuscherer (18-2)

Main Card
    George Sotiropolous (12-1) vs Kurt Pellegrino (21-4)
    Krystov Soszynski (20-10) vs Stefan Bonner (14-7)
    Chris Lytle (38-17) vs Matt Brown (13-8)
    Wanderlei Silva (33-10) vs Yoshihiro Akiyama (13-1)
    Brock Lesnar (4-1) vs Shane Carwin (12-0)

Ricardo Romero vs Seth Petruzelli is also rumoured for the undercard but not confirmed on ufc.com as yet.

Still amazed they sign Seth and fired Kimbo in short order.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,484 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone know when ods will be released for the fight? Would be interesting to see the odds on Lesnar Carwin. Wouldn't mind backing Carwin, would make it even sweeter if he won.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ta2liam

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Anyone know when ods will be released for the fight? Would be interesting to see the odds on Lesnar Carwin. Wouldn't mind backing Carwin, would make it even sweeter if he won.

Brock Lesnar 8/15 v Shane Carwin 11/8

odds are from paddy paddy

ta2liam wrote: »
    Brock Lesnar 8/15 v Shane Carwin 11/8

odds are from paddy paddy

Thanks man! Now, since I don't have a clue about betting or ods, can you tell me if 11/8 is any good? And who do the bookies reckon will win?

Sorry for my noobish gambling abilities :)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭ta2liam

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Thanks man! Now, since I don't have a clue about betting or ods, can you tell me if 11/8 is any good? And who do the bookies reckon will win?

Sorry for my noobish gambling abilities :)

11/8 means for every 8e you bet you will get 11e back or if you break it down for every 1e you bet you will get back 1.37e... its **** odds basically. Best odds i ever got for mma was hathaway against sanchez at 5/1

Excellent, thanks for the advice man. Won't be starting my gambling carrer just yet so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I'm looking forward to Chris Lytle vs Matt Brown, Wandi and Akiyama will either put us to sleep or knock us out of our seats I think.

calex71 wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to Chris Lytle vs Matt Brown, Wandi and Akiyama will either put us to sleep or knock us out of our seats I think.
    2 of the most exciting guys in the sport! Potential for Fight of the Night!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,028 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ta2liam wrote: »
    11/8 means for every 8e you bet you will get 11e back or if you break it down for every 1e you bet you will get back 1.37e... its **** odds basically. Best odds i ever got for mma was hathaway against sanchez at 5/1

lol

That's completely wrong.
    For every 8 you put down you get back 19, not 11. You win 11.
    good odds has nothing to do with price, its to do with chance of happening. Thinking 5/1 or 6/1 is a good price, and looking only at what you could win is a typical beginners mistake.

Personally, I think this match is very close. Slightly in Brock's favour.
    I won't be betting on it though as with such a huge over-round, there is little value with more info on Brock's condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I think it's a pretty good price for Shane, i also think that Brock's lay off will affect him in a big way, Brock has never really been punched hard and had it followed up on, Carwin is the guy to do this.
    Randy and Mir both rocked Brock but didn't follow up, can't see Carwin make the same mistake.

Gonna have a bet but will wait till PP release the special, as in method of victory.
    A KO/TKO for Shane should take the price up to maybe 2/1

scudzilla wrote: »
    I think it's a pretty good price for Shane, i also think that Brock's lay off will affect him in a big way, Brock has never really been punched hard and had it followed up on, Carwin is the guy to do this.
    Randy and Mir both rocked Brock but didn't follow up, can't see Carwin make the same mistake.

Gonna have a bet but will wait till PP release the special, as in method of victory.

Thats a good bet actually.

I dont think the layoff while affect Brock too much due to all the conditioning training he does despite 2010 not being kind to returning fighters. On Brock's chin who knows but Id be amazed that Brock will keep it standing for that long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

scudzilla wrote: »

Did they, i must have been away for a piss when this happened?

I will be lumping on Carwin by ko/tko.....cant wait to see brock get tagged.

• Advertisement

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Did they, i must have been away for a piss when this happened?

Well Mir rocked Lesnar with a jumpin knee but it was hard to follow up when Lesnar fell on him. Imagine that fuker falling on ya :eek:

Yeah Mir shook him with a knee but I don't think Randy rocked him. He caught him and cut hie eye but Brock was never rattled.

It was Randy who was dancing the funky chicken when Brock landed that standing elbow!

I really hope its not but I can see this fight being a snore fest. I don't think Lesnar will stand with Carwin. If he wouldn't stand with Mir, he def won't with boulder hands. I can see Lesnar shooting a lot. Carwin said he would love if Lesnar would stand with him and he is gonna KO him anyway. Cmon Carwin the gentle giant!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Jaysoose wrote: »

Same here, he was rocked by Mir (lesnar) and Carwin is a lot bigger than Mir. Carwin stops Lesnar in the second.

AH BALLS

Wanderlei Silva is out of UFC 116 with broken ribs.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Highnoon

Carwin to beat Lesnar definitely. Lesnar won't have the size and strength advantage, has had to come back from serious illness and a huge amount of ring rust which he won't be able to shake.

Hoping Stefan Bonnar wins the rematch.

rovert wrote: »
    AH BALLS

Wanderlei Silva is out of UFC 116 with broken ribs.

Interesting to see who will replace him because they need one badly.

unknown13 wrote: »

JOHNNY BONES!!!!!!!!!!

(..... would be a nice replacement)

Highnoon wrote: »
    Carwin to beat Lesnar definitely. Lesnar won't have the size and strength advantage

If you are talking about punching power then yeah. Otherwise I think Lesnar still has the size and strength advantage. I known people have discussed the pictured with two facing off in the Octogan with Brock wearing shoes and a suit but to me Lesner looks taller and wider especially in the upper body. But we will see.
    unknown13 wrote: »

I hope so too. Between this and the piss poor hype job by Carwin and Brock on the TUF finale the show is losing steam fast.
    MrStuffins wrote: »
    JOHNNY BONES!!!!!!!!!!

Jon Jones turned down a fight with Rogerio Nogueira at UFC 114 as a sub so the rumour goes.

Another EDIT: Chris Leben replaces Silva

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    JOHNNY BONES!!!!!!!!!!

*Akiyama purchases new and more improved health insurance*

rovert wrote: »
    If you are talking about punching power then yeah. Otherwise I think Lesnar still has the size and strength advantage. I known people have discussed the pictured with two facing off in the Octogan with Brock wearing shoes and a suit but to me Lesner looks taller and wider especially in the upper body. But we will see.

I hope so too. Between this and the piss poor hype job by Carwin and Brock on the TUF finale the show is losing steam fast.

TBH, the card isn't shít but it isn't great at the same time. There is also no fight that could be used as a co main event, so they essentially have to find a solid replacement for Akiyama.

Advertisement