Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter returns next week

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

owenc wrote: »
    Yea I agree would love an inch or two of snow, snow showers inbetween sunshine and then temps around 2-3c at day and -4 or so at night so cool by day and cold or so at night

Thankful, young person, that you are not in charge..

Those kind of temps almost killed some of us. Fingers here still recovering from frostbite. Not joking... Fuel poverty means spring is really welcome and needed.

And we need to grow food if we are to eat.

Have you tried estivation? You might enjoy it...

NB pangea is still on ignore.. it made life easier...

arctictree wrote: »
    Your broad beans should be OK. I planted mine out this week and they are doing fine. They are very frost hardy.

Might get a day or two of surprise snow next week!

Sounds grand to have them in; we are high up here and temps tend to be lower.. and my seedlings are tiny still as the house is cold. Often feels warmer outdoors... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Graces7 wrote: »
    Sounds grand to have them in; we are high up here and temps tend to be lower.. and my seedlings are tiny still as the house is cold. Often feels warmer outdoors... ;)

Temps can actually be colder, and usually are, in low lying locations by night under such set ups. Having said that, they are usually warmer by day once the sun kicks in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

The forecast remains pretty much as is for the moment. An active depression with associated frontal systems will approach from the South on Sunday and Monday and possibly hang around into Tuesday. This will bring heavy rain to Southern and Eastern parts but will have to be watched as it will be coming up against very cold air to the North. It could well turn to snow in these areas through Monday or Monday night. The far North of the country may remain dry. Sleet and snow showers following for Tuesday and Wednesday. So definately turning much colder with a risk of snow. Higher ground pretty much a cert.

Recm961.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I better charge the camera batteries..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Supercell wrote: »
    I better charge the camera batteries..

dont bother the bbc has downgraded it already and its going to be wet snow then rise quickly to 9c on wednesday (cry) (cry) (cry) :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

owenc wrote: »
    dont bother the bbc has downgraded it already and its going to be wet snow then rise quickly to 9c on wednesday (cry) (cry) (cry) :(

That's rather pessimistic 5 days out is it not ?? (sigh) (sigh) (sigh)

:D;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

The 18z GFS illustrates perfectly the risk for the South and East of the country in particular as these fronts meet the cold air on Monday

gfs-2-66.png?18

gfs-2-72.png?18

gfs-1-72.png?18

It's still far from certain but it's at 72hrs out now and getting closer and the main event of the Winter as a whole could well be the last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Snow? Augh! No!! I hate snow at any time of the year. The snowdrops and daffodils have only just come up and we're waiting for the rest of the spring flowers. You know how the old rhyme goes: April showers bring forth May flowers. Snow doesn't. I don't want to see it again, ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Elmo5

Bring it on! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

No I don't want any of this cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

about as much chance of snow next week as hving nearly 2 months freezing weather in the Winter in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Should be interesting, although I'm over the snow at this time of the year... it comes it will be a bit like getting a free pint of guinness that has been sitting around for an hour; if I'd got it a while back would have been great but now it will just be a sloppy taste of what could have been.

A short while back after the warmth had arrived there was a persistent slither of white stuff clinging to the top of the Reek for ages. I was assured by the old people who live beneth it that it was a definite sign the snow would return as it always does when they see that. And there was me thinking they were wrong.

I doubt I'll see any but it would be nice to see a bit on top of the mountains.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Those kind of temps almost killed some of us. Fingers here still recovering from frostbite. Not joking... Fuel poverty means spring is really welcome and needed.

And we need to grow food if we are to eat

Graces, Frostbite! Have your fingers turned black? :eek: Have you any pictures???

If they drop off, watch 'my left foot' - then you'll still be able to type here with your toes. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

snow ghost wrote: »
    Graces, Frostbite! Have your fingers turned black? :eek: Have you any pictures???

If they drop off, watch 'my left foot' - then you'll still be able to type here with your toes. ;)

Cop on. Graces has been here all during the winter and provided many vivid insights into her often precarious situation.

You sir are an idiot with no respect.

Can we get back to the weather. This is what we are on this forum for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Phil Eden had an interesting article two weeks ago, which was about a guy who predicted this years cold winter. This man also maintained, based on the weather pattern for the first couple of weeks in March, that we'd get a brief northerly to start off April before a more mobile pattern with the customary April showers and average temperatures.

dfbemt wrote: »
    Cop on. Graces has been here all during the winter and provided many vivid insights into her often precarious situation.

Only an idiot would call an idiot with no respect 'Sir'. ;)

As for the weather at the moment it's dour - not unlike some peoples' sense of humour. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭loup

Noooooo! Have just planted out my potatoes and strawberries as dictated by gardeners world..i'll be devastated if they are wrecked..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Oh no thought this rollercoaster ride had been put away for another 10 months!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

snaps wrote: »

no and theres another upgrade hurray!:D:D even accu weather are following it.. im starting to think low levels have a chance aswell! http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/news/story/26713/disruptive-snow-to-hit-the-uni.asp

• Advertisement

Temps can actually be colder, and usually are, in low lying locations by night under such set ups. Having said that, they are usually warmer by day once the sun kicks in.

Interesting; yes we have noticed that on some frosty days the car has been clear up here yet cars in Town have been heavily iced.

And yes, overall in the day, colder up here. We noticed that as soon as we moved.

loup wrote: »
    Noooooo! Have just planted out my potatoes and strawberries as dictated by gardeners world..i'll be devastated if they are wrecked..:D

Hope not.. all my seed trays are back inside until this weather eases.

Only got the seed potatoes today so they are safe; it is early yet to plant them.

dfbemt wrote: »

Thank you, kind sir. ;)

Your support is much valued; not here very often these days as making market stock is a full time occupation.

NB Other poster; frostbitten digits have to be surgically removed else gangrene sets in.

The weather? Blowing sideways icy rain and howling like the banshee again. Spare a thought for the sheep farmers; this is the worst weather for lambs to be born in.

snaps wrote: »

Oh it has; this is just a small episode of deja vu. Or a halluncination!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Its a bit warm for snow or will the tempature plummet tonight

Advertisement