Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RADIO FENCES FOR DOGS please help

• 25-03-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭

I would like to know what the experience of people who use these fences
    I cannot put up a timper or brick wall
    but i would like to know if they work, and where i can get them at a reasonable price, as they seem very expensive, as i have 3 pets to put the collars on
    how do they exactily work
    are they worth it
    do some dogs breach them
    where i can get them at and can they be bought second hand

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please think twice about using these collars, look at the link below and it might make you change your mind.

I would never,ever put up one of these fences or put any type of shock collar on my dog.:mad:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=141862&id=59639020615&ref=mf

Buy a dog run, they are much safer and secure and will not harm the dog in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

andreac wrote: »
    Please think twice about using these collars, look at the link below and it might make you change your mind.

I would never,ever put up one of these fences or put any type of shock collar on my dog.:mad:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/album.php?aid=141862&id=59639020615&ref=mf

Buy a dog run, they are much safer and secure and will not harm the dog in any way.
    were those collars let on all the time
    that looks like cruelty to the animals
    as i do have a small dog run
    i do need to give them freedom in a larger area for about 2 hours 2 times a day, there are sheep about where i live, they will soon have lambs, there as also a load of traffic
    are there different fences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

You bury a wire slightly underground all around the perimeter of your property, then train the dog as per this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYDgkzzyXuQ

I Have a big strong dog (rottweiler), so the regular collar didn't do much good, he actually sat on top of the wire one day, I could see his neck vibrating from the shock but he didn't seem to care. So I had to buy a stubborn reciever for bigger dogs. They're E90 a pop and he's on his 3rd. The reciever collars do get worn and will need replacing. I bought my wire and transmitter second hand 7 years ago and both have been working fine ever since.

You'll have to check the system from time to time to make sure it's not drifing, ie making the area the dog is free to roam smaller, and check the batteries. Also check regularly that you can fit at least 2 fingers between the collar and the dogs neck.

I think it's a great idea, my dog wouldn't have the quality of life has without it. He has the whole property to run around all day if nobody's home, whereas otherwise he'd be locked in his run all day. Definitely worth buying, just remember it's not a once off cost, it will need some maintenance.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    You bury a wire slightly underground all around the perimeter of your property, then train the dog as per this video.

I Have a big strong dog (rottweiler), so the regular collar didn't do much good, he actually sat on top of the wire one day, I could see his neck vibrating from the shock but he didn't seem to care. So I had to buy a stubborn reciever for bigger dogs. They're E90 a pop and he's on his 3rd. The reciever collars do get worn and will need replacing. I bought my wire and transmitter second hand 7 years ago and both have been working fine ever since.

You'll have to check the system from time to time to make sure it's not drifing, ie making the area the dog is free to roam smaller, and check the batteries. Also check regularly that you can fit at least 2 fingers between the collar and the dogs neck.

I think it's a great idea, my dog wouldn't have the quality of life has without it. He has the whole property to run around all day if nobody's home, whereas otherwise he'd be locked in his run all day. Definitely worth buying, just remember it's not a once off cost, it will need some maintenance.

It's also worth mentioning that good collars have inbuilt safety features. As the dog approaches the wire the collar beeps and vibrates as a warning. If the collar is shocking for more than 30 seconds it will stop, in case the dog is stuck in the correction zone.

Sorry but quality of life from being shocked with an electric current??:mad: I totally disagree there, how can this be quality of life for any dog. Id rather my dog be in a dog run than being shocked.
    I think they are cruel and as from the link above can inflict injury and pain so i would never put one on any dog.

• Advertisement

It's also worth mentioning that good collars have inbuilt safety features. As the dog approaches the wire the collar beeps and vibrates as a warning. If the collar is shocking for more than 30 seconds it will stop, in case the dog is stuck in the correction zone.
    that sounds very good, the dog gets warning,
    at how many feet from the wire does this warning come.

Sorry but quality of life from being shocked with an electric current??:mad: I totally disagree there, how can this be quality of life for any dog. Id rather my dog be in a dog run than being shocked.
    I think they are cruel and as from the link above can inflict injury and pain so i would never put one on any dog.

I think you have the wrong idea here, the collar only shocks the dog if it tries to leave the property, dogs are smarter than you're giving them credit for, the whole point is they learn how to avoid being shocked. I can safely say my dog hasn't been shocked in years. Even with the collar off now he stays within the zone. At it's a static shock, it cannot harm your dog, haven't you ever got a shock off a car door? It's uncomfortable but harmless.

goat2 wrote: »
    that sounds very good, the dog gets warning,
    at how many feet from the wire does this warning come.

You adjust that on your transmitter, the recommended minimum is about 5ft I think, up to about 20/30ft. But don't quote me on those figures it's a while since I set mine up.

Have you clicked on that link i posted? I think it would make anyone think twice about using any type of shock collar.

You say you had to get a stronger one for your rottie so im sure its far more than like a shock off a car door.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 fuzz11

I wonder could anyone help me..got one of these fences for my 3 dogs.we have a farm which i would like them to have the freedom to run around in but we want the fense to run along the front of the house coz it is a busy road.now our powerpoint is in the middle of the area where we need to put the dog fence.eg

front driveway shed back driveway
    .................................................................................................

now the little dots is where the fence should go , it needs to double back on its itself to get to the powerpoint and because the house and farm are behind this... but if the wire is too close to eachother (3 metres) it cancels out the shock.

it is driving me mad how to sort it out,and there is no space to keep it 3 metres in all areas, near the shed...

I no its confusing, anyone please help!!!!
    :o

• Advertisement

You adjust that on your transmitter, the recommended minimum is about 5ft I think, up to about 20/30ft. But don't quote me on those figures it's a while since I set mine up.

i am glad to hear that
    at least it will keep them from getting shocked as they will be forewarned
    i guess one can adjust shock level as well
    can one leave wire above ground also

Have you clicked on that link i posted? I think it would make anyone think twice about using any type of shock collar.

You say you had to get a stronger one for your rottie so im sure its far more than like a shock off a car door.

I've seen the pics, but to be honest I dont think you even know what you're looking at. To me they look like pressure wounds from the collar being on too tight for along period of time. Which I did say earlier is something that should be checked regularly.

goat2 wrote: »
    i am glad to hear that
    at least it will keep them from getting shocked as they will be forewarned
    i guess one can adjust shock level as well
    can one leave wire above ground also

You can adjust the shock level on the stubborn reciever, as far as I know the standard reciever is set. Yes there are above ground wires, but they can cause hassle with lawnmowers and other animals crossing them.

I've seen the pics, but to be honest I dont think you even know what you're looking at. To me they look like pressure wounds from the collar being on too tight for along period of time. Which I did say earlier is something that should be checked regularly.

Sorry, but of course i know what im looking at :rolleyes:

Ive seen these collars on dogs and see what they can do, so for that reason i would never put one on my dog and wouldnt recommend anyone else to do so, just my opinion and the safety and welfare of my dog always comes first and i would never risk an injury like this happening to him.

Sorry, but of course i know what im looking at :rolleyes:

Ive seen these collars on dogs and see what they can do, so for that reason i would never put one on my dog and wouldnt recommend anyone else to do so, just my opinion and the safety and welfare of my dog always comes first and i would never risk an injury like this happening to him.

I think keeping a dog locked in a run is cruel, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

I think keeping a dog locked in a run is cruel, but I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

How can it be more cruel than getting shocked by a collar??

Its a lot safer and more secure for the dog, no risk of it getting out (dogs can still get out with a collar on) and getting run over by a car, getting attacked by neighbours dogs, wandering off etc, yeah its much safer alright :rolleyes:

Yes think we will have to disgree.

fuzz11 wrote: »
    I wonder could anyone help me..got one of these fences for my 3 dogs.we have a farm which i would like them to have the freedom to run around in but we want the fense to run along the front of the house coz it is a busy road.now our powerpoint is in the middle of the area where we need to put the dog fence.eg

front driveway shed back driveway
    .................................................................................................

now the little dots is where the fence should go , it needs to double back on its itself to get to the powerpoint and because the house and farm are behind this... but if the wire is too close to eachother (3 metres) it cancels out the shock.

it is driving me mad how to sort it out,and there is no space to keep it 3 metres in all areas, near the shed...

I no its confusing, anyone please help!!!!
    :o

Have you actually tried it, because i think at 3 meters it will work, there would be some interference between the wires but to totally cancel a radio signal you'd have to use what's called a twisted pair where the wires are wrapped around each other with 2/3 wraps per inch. Give it a shot with the wires above ground and see what happens.

How can it be more cruel than getting shocked by a collar??

Its a lot safer and more secure for the dog, no risk of it getting out (dogs can still get out with a collar on) and getting run over by a car, getting attacked by neighbours dogs, wandering off etc, yeah its much safer alright :rolleyes:

Yes think we will have to disgree.

You're not getting it. My dog doesn't get shocked, he knows he cant cross the wire. Does your dog run into the side of the run all day?, I bet he doesn't because he knos he can't get through it. The fact is my dog suffers the same amount of pain everday as your dog except he has half and acre to run around. I admit he did get shocked a few times in his training days, but it didn't do him any harm and was better for him in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

There are a lot of issues with these collars.

If you dog does get out, theres no way on earth its going to chance the shock to get back in again. If the dog has a high prey drive, it will run through the shock to get at what it wants.

They don't stop other dogs coming into your property either.

They can also make dogs aggressive and attack people. An example, a child is walking past a property with an electric fence in place. The dog goes over, too close to the fence and gets a shock. Dogs are clever yes, but how does that dog know that its not the child that has just caused it pain? Result? Dog attacks child for hurting it. This scenario has happened a lot with these collars, not always childen, any passer by, ask any behaviourist in the country.

These collars have now been banned in Wales and a ban in the whole of the UK will probably soon follow. But of course we won't ban them because animal welfare isn't a very high priority here.

OP, can I please ask that you go to a stockist of these collars, put it on yourself and get a shock. See if you would like to inflict that onto your beloved pets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Don't put a collar on too tight so...... because that is all that is shown in the pic.
    A buckle of a collar tightened against a dogs neck combined with rear leg scratching could cause a similar injury.
    It has jack all to do with the electrical deterrent.
    In fact that injury could happen with no battery installed in the unit at all.

German shepards wearing them here for up on 6 years, sheep across the road, no probs, neck or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

OP please dont use a shock collar on your pet!!!! there are (cheaper) alternatives, and if god forbid anything went wrong (these are electronic devices, around your dogs NECK, in terrible irish weather) you wouldnt be able to live with yourself!!!

How about buying long washing line and attaching it to your dogs harness and your house? oh how about buying one of these http://cgi.ebay.ie/Gelert-Dog-Tether-Steel-Spike-Camping-Outdoor_W0QQitemZ140296585704QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?hash=item20aa5401e8 with this http://cgi.ebay.ie/BN-Stake-Spike-DOG-TIE-OUT-CABLE-Garden-Holiday-Outdoor_W0QQitemZ160414694979QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?var=&hash=item6b1a3aedf0#ht_3269wt_939 MUCH cheaper, and your dog doesnt get regular punishments for no reason!

If you bring your dogs for regular walks, they will be more than happy in an outdoor pen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

ISDW wrote: »

OP, can I please ask that you go to a stockist of these collars, put it on yourself and get a shock. See if you would like to inflict that onto your beloved pets.

While there don't forget to sample the dried dog food and lick your genitalia on your way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Wales is about to ban them, so there might be a good few second hand ones coming on the market real soon ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/8317456.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Alun wrote: »
    Wales is about to ban them, so there might be a good few second hand ones coming on the market real soon ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/8317456.stm
    A proposed ban on electric shock dog training devices in Wales
    different kind of shock collar and they have been banned in several countries already

anyhow, here is my collected "wisdom" on radio fences
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=56253784&postcount=7
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63161828&postcount=3

OP please dont use a shock collar on your pet!!!! there are (cheaper) alternatives, and if god forbid anything went wrong (these are electronic devices, around your dogs NECK, in terrible irish weather) you wouldnt be able to live with yourself!!!

How about buying long washing line and attaching it to your dogs harness and your house? oh how about buying one of these http://cgi.ebay.ie/Gelert-Dog-Tether-Steel-Spike-Camping-Outdoor_W0QQitemZ140296585704QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?hash=item20aa5401e8 with this http://cgi.ebay.ie/BN-Stake-Spike-DOG-TIE-OUT-CABLE-Garden-Holiday-Outdoor_W0QQitemZ160414694979QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs?var=&hash=item6b1a3aedf0#ht_3269wt_939 MUCH cheaper, and your dog doesnt get regular punishments for no reason!

If you bring your dogs for regular walks, they will be more than happy in an outdoor pen!
    i do bring dogs for regular walks
    what is the alternative
    long rope, tried that nearly choked to death on it as he jumped over something, and if i were not there he would have died a long slow death,
    i have outdoor pen
    need more than that
    my pen is about 40 feet by 8 feet, cost a bomb to erect, but that is alright now and then, or when i am away from house for an hour or two
    but the electric fence seems to be the only other option for 2 hours 2 times daily only, dont see any harm in that as they will not have collars on all the time

You do realise it's a 9 volt battery around the dogs neck, you're not hooking the dog up to the mains. What do you think is going to happen with 9volts??

You do realise it's a 9 volt battery around the dogs neck, you're not hooking the dog up to the mains. What do you think is going to happen with 9volts??
    It's very easy with a bit of electronics to generate a lot more than 9 volts using a battery like that. Electric fences AFAIK use 12V car batteries as their power source for example.

peasant wrote: »
    different kind of shock collar and they have been banned in several countries already
    OK. I'd assumed the collars themselves were essentially the same, and that it was only the method of activating them that was different, i.e. a manual trigger as opposed to an automatic trigger caused by the dog passing over the perimeter wire.

Alun wrote: »
    It's very easy with a bit of electronics to generate a lot more than 9 volts using a battery like that. Electric fences AFAIK use 12V car batteries as their power source for example.

Yes but as voltage increases, current decreases there is nothing you could do with a 9v battery that will harm the dog. There simply is not enough power in 9V battery to harm the dog!! A 12volt lead acid battery is totally different from a 9v carbon zinc battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Yes but as voltage increases, current decreases there is nothing you could do with a 9v battery that will harm the dog. There simply is not enough power in 9V battery to harm the dog!! A 12volt lead acid battery is totally different from a 9v carbon zinc battery
    WRONG

Advertisement