Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Irelands Greatest Person

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,009 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Pherekydes wrote: »
    LOL. He didn't have a PRSI number either. Nor did he fly around the world on dem flying machine thingies.

Just another feckin tax dodger, what a let down.:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Rebelheart wrote: »
    He lost both his toes due to frostbite.

He only had the two to start with?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

/scans for the name Bono, or sneaky inclusion of Paul Hewson...not there!!:D

Proper poll indeed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Parnell, uncrowned king of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 42,084 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

I would've included Mr. Larry Mullen Jr. for creating the best rock band of all time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

It's probably himself.

If I understand what Kevin Myers is saying then I agree.

Arkle For President!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Frank Aiken. An example of what Ireland could do in the UN.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

It can only be the Big Fella. He managed to dismantle a system 700 years in the making in less than 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

grenache wrote: »
    It can only be the Big Fella. He managed to dismantle a system 700 years in the making in less than 5 years.

I always imagined that we would have a had a vastly more progressive country not dominated by the Catholic Church if Collins had not being taken out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

The great Parnell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Dont forget your shoval. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

jebforever wrote: »
    I would've included Mr. Larry Mullen Jr. for creating the best rock band of all time.

Larry mullen didn't form the e street band!

grenache wrote: »

Is that Michael Collins?

What, you think he did it with one hand tied behind his back? You make it sound like he stopped Global Warming. I'm all for MC but lets get some perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Toss up between Robert Boyle and Arthur Wellesley, but Wellesley did beat Napoleon's Grand Armee!
    Stupid the way there was no; Beaufort, John Joly, George Boole, William Parsons, John Tyndall, William Thomson, or Ernest Walton on the RTÉ list. RTÉ is absolutely retarded, Stephen Gately was only on the list because of his death, yet there was no sign of Walton and he's the only Irish person to win a nobel prize in Physics. Fucking joke so it is, just goes to show you what's more important artsy fartsy shite and semtimentality, while actual achievement receives no recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Daniel O'Connell the first proper peaceful democratic attempt at furthering catholic (ie irish) rights and a forerunner to independence. did this pretty much singlehandedly too. plus he was great at the ol' monster meetings.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

El Siglo wrote: »
    ...Arthur Wellesley, but Wellesley did beat Napoleon's Grand Armee!

He spent most of his life in service of the British Empire, so surely his claim is to be considered a Great Briton, no? Indeed, he finished 15th on the BBC's list of 2002.

IMO, Ireland's greatest person should be a statesman/woman (in the Irish sense) or a scientist/inventor. Light entertainers and sports people have absolutely no place in a poll of this sort.

O'Connell was a legend alright, but he did fuck the forty shilling freeholder over and that was the group that he campaigned for.
    I'm annoyed to Collins getting such a high rating, if for some reason he had lived longer and managed to reunify the North with the Free State then I'd be happy, but he didn't do that. He definitely didn't dismantle a system that had stood for 700 years, it took 100,000 soldiers to dismantle a system that had stood for 120 years.

He spent most of his life in service of the British Empire, so surely his claim is to be considered a Great Briton, no? Indeed, he finished 15th on the BBC's list of 2002.

IMO, Ireland's greatest person should be a statesman/woman (in the Irish sense) or a scientist/inventor. Light entertainers and sports people have absolutely no place in a poll of this sort.

The same could be said about Pearse, Plunkett, Connolly et al., sure they were all British, British passports etc... Let's not be pedantic here!:D
    I do agree, sports people and light entertainers have no place in this sort of poll.

The same could be said about Pearse, Plunkett, Connolly et al., sure they were all British, British passports etc... Let's not be pedantic here!:D

They may have held British passports, but they served Ireland. Wellesley served the BE. I don't really care for a document they may have held.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

no way, sonny knowles all the way!

yeah sonny is the man went to see a double header with him and syl fox. thats 2 hours of my life i wont get back...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Where's Padraig Nally?

They may have held British passports, but they served Ireland. Wellesley served the BE. I don't really care for a document they may have held.

Yes but up until 1921, we we're a fair part of that empire. Would you call the Irish fellas who died in WWI traitors, because they were fighting for Britain? They held British passports, that makes them British, regardless of where their they identified themselves as. Infairness, have we not gotten over the usual anti-brit stuff now, and at least claim that an Irish born, British general defeated Napoleon. Seriously, he beat the 19th century version of Hitler, that's a pretty big contribution by one man from this country, regardless of who he was fighting for.

Yes but up until 1921, we we're a fair part of that empire. Would you call the Irish fellas who died in WWI traitors, because they were fighting for Britain? They held British passports, that makes them British, regardless of where their they identified themselves as. Infairness, have we not gotten over the usual anti-brit stuff now, and at least claim that an Irish born, British general defeated Napoleon. Seriously, he beat the 19th century version of Hitler, that's a pretty big contribution by one man from this country, regardless of who he was fighting for.

Who's talking about traitors and treason? Or anti-Britishness.

I'm just talking about great Irish people having served Ireland or furthered the Irish cause. Is it too difficult for you to grasp?

My own father served in the Royal Navy in WWII. He wasn't forced to go. He went out of a sense of duty to a cause. The Irish State, such as it was, remained neutral. But what my father did he did for the causes of freedom and democracy, not for the Irish state.

So don't start with the anti-Brit stuff now.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Flying Abruptly

Personally I voted for Michael Collins but I'm actually really suprised not to see DeValera on the list, surely one of the most influential people in Irish history in the last century.

Personally I voted for Michael Collins but I'm actually really suprised not to see DeValera on the list, surely one of the most influential people in Irish history in the last century.

Yeah, and no Arkle.:rolleyes:

Poor Henry Gratten. Billy no Mates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Biggins wrote: »
    :pac:

I'm sure he did. :D

eh unlikely, he was a corkman after all - murphys or beamish :p

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭sron

Nulty wrote: »
    Yeah, and no Arkle.:rolleyes:

Poor Henry Gratten. Billy no Mates

I gave him a vote so that with a few more he might make it ahead of Van Morrison. He was a fine man for the auld oratory though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Would you call the Irish fellas who died in WWI traitors, because they were fighting for Britain?

Yes, yes indeed. At best, at very, very best, they were profoundly misguided. The fact that over 10,000 Irish Volunteers stayed in Ireland rather than fight for the British Empire, the most powerful empire in the world, says it all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Toss up between Robert Boyle and Arthur Wellesley, but Wellesley did beat Napoleon's Grand Armee!

Yeah, much better to support destruction rather than creation, as long as the former is doing it for the British Empire and all its remarkably moderate aims such as controlling 25% of the planet earth.

Ah yeah.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...I'm annoyed to Collins getting such a high rating, if for some reason he had lived longer and managed to reunify the North with the Free State then I'd be happy, but he didn't do that. He definitely didn't dismantle a system that had stood for 700 years, it took 100,000 soldiers to dismantle a system that had stood for 120 years.

He only took control of those soldiers, organised their training, organised their arming, organised the tactics that they would be using to take on the British Empire, organised the organisations very effective intelligence gathering methods, organised also part of the monetary funding to keep it all going, organised the civilians (saboteurs) in peaceful disruption of the then British procedures within Ireland, etc...

..and that was only one side to him. Orator, eventual state representative on the world stage, and so, so on...

He definitely didn't do it all alone but by god, he was the right person at the right time, doing a job which by god, was done right.
    We have a building in Dublin called The Dail and the reason its there is greatly down to his efforts more so than a lot of others - including Éamon de Valera.
    That is in no way whatsoever to take away from their efforts too it should be said.

Others on the list are just as important to the state in other ways so it all boils down to peoples preferences in what they consider to be more important to them.

Advertisement