Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

US Greencard Through Diversity Lotto

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ Palmy

All you basically need is to have finished high school,have abit of money saved,and no criminal record.If you have all these and are lucky enough to be randomly selected you won't have a problem.Once you have your green card ,you have to use it.You can't just go in and out once every two years or so on holiday thinking maybe one day ill move,as they will ask you to surrender your green card.(basically they just tell you that your not using it and they take it off you.)So if you do win the green card be sure your going to use it.It's not as simple as people might think,you still have to file tax returns in the U.S even if your living abroad or back in Ireland while your sorting out your move to the U.S. although in general if your not earning more than 75k you won't have to pay tax twice (Ireland and in the U.S).

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ thenobody

You talking about the foreign tax credit? - on Irish income when resident in the US.

You don't pay tax in Ireland on your American income.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ Palmy

I was just saying if you get your green card and decide to stay in Ireland for up to a year while your getting yourself organised to move to the U.S, and that you are working here, you still have to fill a tax return for the U.S. even though your not working in the U.S.:)

Well I guess that depends. Cos you have six months to activate it and then six months to move permanently.
    So if possible and if the person if just activating and coming back best to leave it to the start of the following year if that lies within the six months.
    Your residency starts when your greencard is activated which then means you have to do the tax return for that year as you say.
    So best to activate and move in the same year.
    And beat not to leave it near the deadlines

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 PeakOutput

So iirc we find out on the 1st of may who has gotten greencards

who is waiting for the results?

I am very excited about finding out if I got one or not, I am trying to keep telling myself that the chances are slim but I cant help but get excited about the possibilities if I do get one.

I am heading to the states on the 20th of may for 5 months anyway so not sure how I can go about activating the green card and all that stuff if I do get one but I will cross that bridge if I come to it.

If I don't get awarded one the worst case scenario is I live in australia for the winter and then go back to america this time next year on a h1 visa and get my employers to start sponsorship but thats expensive and a pain in the ass

So who is waiting? Are you confident? What are your plans if you do get one and if you dont?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭✭ ak27

PeakOutput wrote: »
    So iirc we find out on the 1st of may who has gotten greencards

who is waiting for the results?

I am very excited about finding out if I got one or not, I am trying to keep telling myself that the chances are slim but I cant help but get excited about the possibilities if I do get one.

I am heading to the states on the 20th of may for 5 months anyway so not sure how I can go about activating the green card and all that stuff if I do get one but I will cross that bridge if I come to it.

If I don't get awarded one the worst case scenario is I live in australia for the winter and then go back to america this time next year on a h1 visa and get my employers to start sponsorship but thats expensive and a pain in the ass

So who is waiting? Are you confident? What are your plans if you do get one and if you dont?

I'm waiting on the the results too. This is my second attempt at the Diversity lottery. tbh I haven't made any serious plans just yet for moving because the chances are so slim (fingers crossed I will get selected though!). I have thought of a few places where I'd like to move to if I do get selected, but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭ lonestargirl

:confused: you know you need sponsorship to get a h1 visa right?

Also the way they are organised you can't start work between April and October, there are a certain number of visas each year and applications open April 1st for starting after Oct 1st. Previously they ran out within a few days but last year they didn't run out until Jan (so if you got one any time after Oct 1st until they ran out then you could have started immediately).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 lil_lisa

Has anyone received a letter from Kentucky Consular Center yet?

They'll be received from mid May until end of June.
    Its too early now. They get processed around now and can take 6 weeks to receive the letter from the date of processing.

EDIT: no more letters per later posts below as of this year

By the way.
    I have seen some people getting a bullsh!t email about being selected for a greencard.
    Dont trust any of them or any other companies. They are scams.
    You will not get an email!!

This one was from

and it had said selection guaranteed if you paid $880 and the following:
    After you find a Western Union agency you need to go with cash money, an identity card(e.g passport or national identity card) and send the payment to the U.S. embassy agent address in United Kingdom: 

Name : John Godwin 
    Address: 24 Grosvenor Square 
    London, W1A 2LQ 
    United Kingdom 

The payment must be sent to the above U.S. embassy agent address in United Kingdom because the U.S. Government decided this based on the diplomatic relations with your country.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭ BuffyBot

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Has anyone received a letter from Kentucky Consular Center yet?

They no longer send letters.

Worth noting this info
    Finally, remember that all DV-2012 applicants must check their status online, and will not receive a notification letter from the U.S. government.

From http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1322.html

and also

"The Kentucky Consular Center will no longer mail notification letters to DV selectees. Those selected in the random drawing are NOT notified of their selection by email."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 lil_lisa

That's definitely worth noting, I'm sure there are already scammers on this sending out fake letters.

:confused: you know you need sponsorship to get a h1 visa right?

ye none of that is a problem
    Also the way they are organised you can't start work between April and October, there are a certain number of visas each year and applications open April 1st for starting after Oct 1st. Previously they ran out within a few days but last year they didn't run out until Jan (so if you got one any time after Oct 1st until they ran out then you could have started immediately).

thats the h1 you are talking about? that is strange as my friend is flying out a week after me (end of may) on a h1 for a year but i will have a look into it if tha is the case then i should start the greencard process this year instead of relying on h1, ugh thats going to be a pain

maybe i have my names mixed up when i say h1 i mean the 12 month working visa they are offering students that is called the h1 right?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 sleepyescapade

ye none of that is a problem

thats the h1 you are talking about? that is strange as my friend is flying out a week after me (end of may) on a h1 for a year but i will have a look into it if tha is the case then i should start the greencard process this year instead of relying on h1, ugh thats going to be a pain

maybe i have my names mixed up when i say h1 i mean the 12 month working visa they are offering students that is called the h1 right?
    thats the j1.

h1-b visa is where an employer sponsors you to become a permanent resident of the U.S

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 silja

No you are talking about the J1- needs to be done within a year of graduating. The H1B is a dual intent work visa, where the employer can sponsor you for a greencard after some years of working for them.

ah gotcha I dont know why I thought it had a different name to the traditional j1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭✭ El Diablo 101

I've a weird feeling I might win this year because I am in the middle of a four year degree, and to win it would mess up my studies. Knowing Murphy's Law and all that!

Wasn't the opening period for entry cut from two months to one this year? I'm getting excited, just one more week to find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 sleepyescapade

I'm excited but being realistic about it, given how many apply each year. If I don't get it its not going to mess up my alternative plan of 12 month j1 / possible h1 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ little lady

Hi,

I got selected this year 2012 lottery, I was just wondering; for aynone that has been through it before, the medical and the Garda check, will I be given enough time between receiving the letter with the appointment details and the appointment itself to get these done or should I just go ahead and get them??

I know from this thread that there are certain doctors that you must go to for the medical so would I be better call the US Embassy and asking for the details or will I just sit tight?

I know I have only been selected for the interview and that doesn't necessarily mean I will get a Visa but I'm still really excited :-)

• Advertisement

You will have enough time.
    Sit tight. And when the interview is depends I'm your case number.

Do not go near the embassy until your number has become current in the monthly visa bulletins and that you have receive the instruction letter. They don't have anything to do with it until your case if transferred to them which could be a year away depending again on the case number
    High case numbers above 27000 are unlikely to get an interview

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ✭✭✭ Jager Man

Congrats and commiserations to all. I checked this morning and was soooo happy to see my confirmation. I'm a reasonably low number (below 2000) so should I expect the interview to be in May or do they not process until the 2012 DV until September onwards?

Also I'm currently working in the US on an A2 (government visa) so is it better and faster to adjust my status here in the US or should I waiting to here from the Embassy in Dublin and fly back for the interview??

So many questions!!! Would people recommend getting legal advise or is that not necessary?

Thanks in advance

Your interview will probably be in sept or October - it doesn't start til september but you need to check for the visa bulletins.
    You need to fill out forms now and in it you need to specify where you will do it. If you're in the us already just do it there. Makes no difference. Dublin embassy will not be involved.
    You will need to get a police report for the us and Ireland - and any country you have lived in so plan in advance for this.
    n
    No need for anything legal. It's all simple and straight forward - if you easily meet all requirements and don't have a dodgy history.

There are better forums on the internet about all of this and you go check them and follow them. Some good info there - but all the points have been covered in this thread really.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ little lady

thenobody wrote: »
    Your interview will probably be in sept or October - it doesn't start til september but you need to check for the visa bulletins.
    You need to fill out forms now and in it you need to specify where you will do it. If you're in the us already just do it there. Makes no difference. Dublin embassy will not be involved.

Is the US Embassy in Dublin not where the interviews take place. I was looking through the forms and one of the questions is to specify where you want the interview to take place. You can just enter your city if you don't know but I presumed that's where it would be!!

My number is 930 :-) Hopefully I'll get it. Watching paint drying will be more interesting than my background check so tht bit will be fine and I've done a fair bit of time in college so that will be good. Here's hoping!!!

It's in Dublin for those in Ireland. Put down Dublin embassy on the form.
    For those already in us can do it in the us - somewhere.

930 which I presume is a EU case number your interviw would be sept this year.
    Your leaving cert would count (basic minimum)- time spent in college without getting a degree will not.
    Get your forms completed and sent in ASAP.
    Make sure you get enough money above poverty line - something like $13000 I think, look it up. And show it's a kept balance not just one transfer of money.
    Or get a us job offer or affidavit of support.

Sept interview is great but doesn't give much time if these are issues.
    If you do get it you will have to have it activated by February and have to have moved to the states by august next year at the latest. Exciting eh!!

I'm just advising from what I know of me getting through it and knowing three people who were turned down for it at the interview.

congrats to everyone who got it, no luck for me but i still have 18 months of easy work visas to use so maybe next year

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭✭ baltazar

Hi,

I am also in the group of Lucky people who logged on yesterday to find out that my application had been randomly selected for further processing. I have applied every year since 2004 and have been disappointed every year until this year. My Fiance applied also and she has been randomly selected too. I have bought a lotto ticket for Wednesday night's draw...good things come in 3's and all that.

We are getting married in August and will be away for 3 weeks in September on honeymoon. Is the embassy accommodating on rescheduling interviews if you can't make the designated date?

Also, my case number is up around 15000 where as my fiance's Case number is around 10000. Does this have a big part to play in when you are called for interview?

The case number will determine when your interview is.
    Id expect them around december/jan or feb for your two numbers.

Rescheduling the interview is not advised.

But.... if you are getting married you should only use one and will have to pick which person application to go with. At this stage and send back both application forms and treat as separate and single - not married yet!!

But after you get married you may have to cancel the application of one - but its no big deal as the other partner can be added to the others application so it will work out fine - but this has to be done before the case is transferred to the embassy (before your number comes current - which may be october). You will need to send revised application forms and a copy of the marriage cert to KCC. If you miss this date and it is transferred to the embassy should still be ok but they are awful to deal with and better to get it sorted before this. They could also transfer it over without updating the application so be sure to check.
    This all happened to me.

Or you can probably do both separately but better chance to combine to one application.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ✭✭✭ baltazar

Thanks for the advice I was wondering what I'd do about sending off 2 applications and I think the best way to go is like you said, submit two applications for now and then combine to one once we're married.

Do you find out shortly after the interview whether you have been successful or not? say for arguments sake that we get our Interview in January would we find out we'll say in february whether we have been successful?

• Advertisement

They will tell you there on the day.
    They keep your passport and send it out to you within about a month with the temp visa included and the sealed envelope you need to give to immigration (still sealed) when you go on the activation trip or moving to the US.
    You will need to give them a stamped envelope for this too (with about 6 euro of stamps if i recall).

Advertisement