Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cctv remote viewing

Options
  • 22-03-2010 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I have just installed some cctv cameras at home, basicenough system though it works fine. I have no problem viewing cameras online on my home network. My problem is viewing remotely. I got a static ip from my isp but cannot get the remote viewing to work. The setup on the dvr is as follows, maybe someone can spot my difficulty:

ip - port forwarded from router is 192.168.2.5
    port - 8000
    mask - from my isp
    gateway - my static ip
    http port - 80

I used the port forward function to open port 8000 on the router for the ip 192.168.2.5 but it still wont work?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

{Moved to Electrical}
    First off what make of DVR are you using?
    Some DVRs have a built in webserver so you can go directly to the machine from any web browser to http://your static ip:80
    Have you got port 80 forwarded also?
    For other machines you may have to use a seperate client for viewing.
    Whats the subnet mask you are using?
    Gateway should be your routers internal IP address.
    I presume you are using a combined router/modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

When you type in your static IP do you get as far as the router. Sounds like a port forwarding issue. You may need to forward two sets of ports ie 80 and 8000, or whatever port the DVR uses
    Also some DVR's will not let you access them if you are on the same network and using an the external address, not the 192.xxx.xxx.xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ista

Think its working now, the static ip is going to the viewer page, that didn't work before. looks like the port forwarding of the second port has solved it. Will try at work tomorrow and let you know how i get on.

Thanks again guys!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Just check your firewall on the router too. Ive had DVR's that wont work especially on the crap netopia eircom routers even if its set to low...

Sounds like a result.
    Not sure what your company's IT policy is like it may block that port or restrict activex usage

• Advertisement

Why was this moved to Electrical btw???? Im a CCTV installer and often help people out with set ups, Its always been posted in Security??????

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ista

spot on there jnealon, couldn't load the activex for the netviewer, but managed to log on and view cameras on an unrestricted connection. Don't know how this got moved to electrical FusionNet...is it a boards thing??? Is it the way I started the thread????

Thanks again for your help guys!!

Ista:)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

ista wrote: »
    . Don't know how this got moved to electrical FusionNet...is it a boards thing?

Ista:)
    I moved it. It was better suited here. Security is more for network & internet security.

Hi Koolkid,

Sorry I meant to say ya I realised it was you. The problem I have is that there is no where really suited for CCTV is there. Ive asked the other Mods if they would see about making a catagory for it. No disrespect to your move but as I said Id never think to look in electrical for a CCTV network issue, especially as CCTV is slowly going more towards IP and IT... I think its an important issue, who could we ask about making a spot for it in Comms?

What you think, any ideas?

And no Ista not your fault just the Mods need to monitor content and move it if more suited to another section. Its just CCTV is definately not electrical as stated its more IT a now a days but it hasnt its own section yet. Its a hard call as Ive answered dozens of questions before on CCTV in the "security" section but as kool kid said he thought it would be answered better here... I just hope some day we can give it its own section as its a very popular topic, way more so than some on here and especially as CCTV has gone from professional to Consumer product....

Glad you got sorted though :)

• Advertisement

Its more suited here than what the security forum is for.
    If you want to request a forum for alarms and CCTV post in System>Forum Requests. It would get a +1 from me .

Will do, thanks koolkid, keep up the good work...

FusionNet wrote: »
    Hi Koolkid,

Sorry I meant to say ya I realised it was you. The problem I have is that there is no where really suited for CCTV is there. Ive asked the other Mods if they would see about making a catagory for it. No disrespect to your move but as I said Id never think to look in electrical for a CCTV network issue, especially as CCTV is slowly going more towards IP and IT... I think its an important issue, who could we ask about making a spot for it in Comms?

What you think, any ideas?

I would be more for a home security section or Alarms/CCTV.
    I have started a thread on this in Forum Requests here.
    Anyone with any thoughts on this please post over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 vvrt

Hi,
    I hope that someone can help me to stop me trowing a netbook and a dvr out the window.
    Do eircom block any ports? I have been trying to setup this dvr to view it from the internet. I can view it on my network no problem.I have a static ip on the dvr 192.168.0.113 Port setting is 8080. I have a netopia router from Eircom with portforwarding to the dvr on ip 192.168.0.113 with port 8080. So when i go on to my netbook with 3g modem and type in my router ip address in the address bar like this http://86.46.xx.xx:8080 I get nothing? Now I have read some where that I need a public IP address from Eircom, so I phoned Eircom and no joy there first off they did not know what I was talking about and then they wanted to sell me a business plan so where I could get a public ip address. Ok so I set up an account with www.DYNdns.com and no problem there I have an account setup there but still can not get it to work. I have changed the setting on my firewall on the router to low and in windows changed the friewall on xp. Still cant get to work.

Can some help me or will I open the window as I dont want to break the glass!!!!!

regards

aiden

vvrt wrote: »
    Hi,
    I hope that someone can help me to stop me trowing a netbook and a dvr out the window.
    Do eircom block any ports? I have been trying to setup this dvr to view it from the internet. I can view it on my network no problem.I have a static ip on the dvr 192.168.0.113 Port setting is 8080. I have a netopia router from Eircom with portforwarding to the dvr on ip 192.168.0.113 with port 8080. So when i go on to my netbook with 3g modem and type in my router ip address in the address bar like this http://86.46.xx.xx:8080 I get nothing? Now I have read some where that I need a public IP address from Eircom, so I phoned Eircom and no joy there first off they did not know what I was talking about and then they wanted to sell me a business plan so where I could get a public ip address. Ok so I set up an account with www.DYNdns.com and no problem there I have an account setup there but still can not get it to work. I have changed the setting on my firewall on the router to low and in windows changed the friewall on xp. Still cant get to work.

Can some help me or will I open the window as I dont want to break the glass!!!!!

regards

aiden

You will need to forward two sets of ports on the router, 8080 and 80.
    If you switch to dyndns you will need to telnet in to the router to set this up.

Forwarding port 80 is only useful if the DVR has its own webserver. If not port 8080 is used by the DVR Client software . You can not goto http://86.46.xx.xx:8080 via a web browser. Run the client software enter the IP address,port, user & password in the fields provided & connect.
    Also note if trying to connect to port 80, your PC may block activ X content.
    What make of DVR is it?

Hi
    Tks for the replys, I have opened 8080 and 80 on the router to the ip address of the DVR which is Avtect 760.
    I cant ping any of the ports from my 3G modem so this tell me that the ports are closed. Do I need a public IP for the router (Netopia)

When you say public IP do you mean fixed IP.? Ideally yes.
    You can however use the likes of dyndns.org . Open an account there & enter user name & setting on your router also. Every time your IP changes your router sends it to that site. You then goto the address you are given from dyn.dns.org .
    Also bear in mind pings may be blocked in the security settings of your router.

Hi,
    Yes I understand about dyndns.org, and I have the firewall on the router set to low , so if I know my router ip address using www.whatsmyipaddress.com I should be able to ping that ip on the port 8080??

Is there a setting on your router Wan Ping Blocking?

• Advertisement

When you type in the external router IP address what happens. Do you get the router setup page.
    Also some dvr's block access to when you're on the same network, ie you can only access it by using 192.168... when on the same network

Hi,
    When I ping my routers IP number it time out when I ping 18.62.1.6 I get a responce this is mit website in the states, I need to get a responce from My router when I ping it from my netbook computer any ideas on how to do this its an netopia router??

I am going no where whit the dvr if I cant do this

regards

aiden

Hi,
    My router setting is LAN/WAN and this is what is in it "
    LAN/WAN turnaround is currently disabled. Clicking the "Enable" button will enable the LAN port and disable the DSL port. The unit will be restarted."

When I enable it the router all sorts of fun thinge happen to the router, in the end I have to Hard reset the router to get to work again.

Sorry just looked back over your first post. Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0. Gateway should be routers internal IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭seanwindle22

hi guys
    i recently installed a cctv system in my house and wish to view it remotely. what is the best way to set up this system and how do i go about it. i have been reading alot of threads on this topic but need some more advice. my dvr is a vgsion h5008 and i am using an eircom broadband connection. any help would be great and thanks in advance.

Is there a software client or are you just viewing via web server?

not too sure what you mean basically its for me to view from remote locations outside of my home network
    thanks for swift reply

Some DVRs use software that needs to be installed on the PC used to view remotely.
    This let's you set what port is used. If it's a web server its going to use port 80.
    The DVR needs to be assigned an internal IP address on your network. You then forward the port used to the DVRs IP address.

• Advertisement

thanks koolkid for the help. i got the system working in my network but i cannot access it over the web. i assigned the dvr an ip address and assigned ports. any help would be great

Advertisement