Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Claudio Monteverdi and New age music.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

prinz wrote: »
    Well it is the RC church, so yes. Got a link to this decree?

Nope, sorry. I'm pretty sure it's why non-religious concerts don't take place in catholic churches, and so many good concerts take place in other churches.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Nope, sorry. I'm pretty sure it's why non-religious concerts don't take place in catholic churches, and so many good concerts take place in other churches.

Using churches to host non-religious concerts and songs during mass are two different things, not to mention that all the songs I included could be argued to have a religious/faith/worship subject matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Arvo Pärt would disagree. So would J. S. Bach, but then he's probably not "progressive" enough for mehfesto.

Unquestionably beautiful and definately progressive. If Im right though, the Minimalist movement was the mid-70s? Again, I'll just have to bring you back to the main point of my argument:

Christian music is not as progressive AS rock or pop music. I can't see how it can be argued against. I will conceed (again) that I have been shown the progress in Christian music, but surely you can all appreciate how much more progressive the Rock and Pop genres are.

The sub-genres of rock alone fill entire music-stores such as Tower Records. The sheer numbers of people in these fields, each trying to forge a 'new sound' (and make a few million of it) guarantee new ideas annually. There is not, one can presume as many people pushing for change in the Religious music spheres. You can diagree if you like, but recent examples of religious music in the public domains, such as the Priests, have been an exercise in giving the public what they want (old songs rehashed) rather than pushing any boundaries.

You can argue that this is all exploitation from the music industry, but that's immaterial - the music changes quickly. In some genres and areas more than others.

The genre of 'Indie' (a terrible term) has gone from Pavement in the early 90s to Travis & Coldplay in '99/'00, through to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and The Libertines in 04/05/06 to Klaxons in 08 and now current Indie champions are Modest Mouse, Tv ON The Radio and Death Cab for Cutie. Clicking on these links surely highlights an amazing amount of progress over the span on 15 years?! Bands at the early end of the scale are no longer even considered 'indie' as the term has progressed so quickly that they no longer stand for it's new ideals!!!

I wouldn't mind being proved wrong - I love music. It is very important to me and I would like to explore fields that are somewhat unfamilar to me. I like every type of music - I even have a small radioshow dedicated to African Music, which I love - but I think know that there is nothing more progressive than either Rock or Pop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

mehfesto wrote: »
    Again, I'll just have to bring you back to the main point of my argument:

Christian music is not as progressive AS rock or pop music. I can't see how it can be argued against. I will conceed (again) that I have been shown the progress in Christian music, but surely you can all appreciate how much more progressive the Rock and Pop genres are.
    Actually that wasn't your point. You claimed that Christian music cannot be modern or progressive.

Also, Christian music is not a genre in the sense that rock & pop are. Christian songs relate to subject matter, which can be and often is expressed through classical, jazz, blues, rock or any other style of music. To say that rock is more progressive than Christian music is like saying that soccer is more exciting than professional sport.
    I think know that there is nothing more progressive than either Rock or Pop.
    While I disagree with you (much modern jazz is more progressive than rock and pop) I suggest you take that particular argument to the boards.ie music fora.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

mehfesto wrote: »

The genre of 'Indie' (a terrible term) has gone from Pavement in the early 90s to Travis & Coldplay in '99/'00, through to Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and The Libertines in 04/05/06 to Klaxons in 08 and now current Indie champions are Modest Mouse, Tv ON The Radio and Death Cab for Cutie. Clicking on these links surely highlights an amazing amount of progress over the span on 15 years?! Bands at the early end of the scale are no longer even considered 'indie' as the term has progressed so quickly that they no longer stand for it's new ideals!!!

It is certainly debatable to suggest that bands like Coldplay, Travis and the Klaxons are best classified as indie. Still, as PDN suggested, the music forum would be a better place to debate this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement