Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardest platform levels

Options
  • 19-03-2010 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭

I saw a thread on another message board that got me thinking about difficult levels in games. What platform games have you played that contained levels that left you pulling your hair out?

I remember two off the top of my head. First up is the Tubular level from Super Mario World.

The second level I had huge trouble with was from near the end of LBP. I'm not sure if it was the last or second last level but there was a
    huge rotating machine that you had to get Sackboy through
    . Man, it was unbelievably frustrating. I got through it eventually but I think I just fluked it.

Anymore?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Good call with the "Special" levels in SMW.

There were a few in the Yoshi's Island games (especially the second DS one) that were very difficult, more so if you were going for 100% completion on the levels.

Any game that has "Ice" levels where the platforms are slippy. Never fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I'm afraid every bloody level in Ghosts and Goblins and Ghouls and Ghosts, most frustration game ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ghouls n'Ghosts isn't that tough, I've beaten it with one credit although stage 5 takes some getting used to. Ghosts n'Goblins on the other hand is an absolute ****.

I'd like to add Heatmans stage with the disappearing blocks in Megaman 2. I've never beaten it without rush coil.

Ultimate Ghosts n'Goblins 3rd level (I think) with the moving cloud platform at the start is a horrible and frustrating exercise in terrible game design. The whole game is filled with bad game design but this level takes the biscuit.

There's a level in the original Ninja Gaide that has the most ridiculously hard jump to make ever, think it's in level 5-1 but it's really frustrating and you could spend hours at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I cant remember exactly which stage but in the final world in Mario 3 theres one that used to always drive me mental.Just bombs everywhere man!Bombs everywhere!:eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Dangerous Dave... Quite a tough game...
    Linkage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,946 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Super Mario Bros the lost levels had some stupidly tough levels in it as well. There was a castle that resembled the trick castle in Mario Bros 1 where you couldn't advance without taking the correct route. It wasn't actually a trick castle but a stupidly long stage designed to fool players.

However what took the biscuit was the one Arino got stuck on in the episode of Game Centre CX where the level just repeats but the only way to get out of the level is to find a hidden vine that requires a stupidly tough jump to be performed:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Last level of Psychonauts.

It's probably not the hardest level I've ever played, but it was just such a shock in comparison to the rest of the game. The whole game is pretty easy but entertaining, and then all of a sudden you are given this last level which is unlike any other levels in the whole game. The camera angles are all over the place, and you are constantly being attacked with grenades, fighting against the rising water level, whilst trying to make your way through a ridiculous assault course.

Loved it though when I finally completed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

I think for me it was Mega Man on the Gameboy. The bit when you had to memorise the disappearing platforms to get to the ladder. I think it was for Elektroman or something.....Sweaty palms there by gawd.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

fukin Gutsman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

The labyrinth level on Revenge of Shinobi (Megadrive) frustrated the hell out of me as a kidlet. In hindsight, it wasn't particularly hard... I just didn't "get" it, or what you were supposed to do to progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'm probably alone with this, but I had a game on the Atari Lynx called "Scrapyard Dog"... which had possibly the hardest 2D platforming I've ever encountered in a game. Especially in some of the flying levels close to the end.

What always made me laugh was these bonus rooms where you got to listen to a piece of midi piano music and memorise the piano notes as they lit up. You then had to jump on the notes in the order they where played. At the start this was fine, with only 2 or 3 notes, but by the end they where playing minute long concertos. There was no possible way you where going to remember all those notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

2D wise I'm going to say Lost Levels as well.

3D wise I'd say Shinobi on the PS2 gave me the most problems. Trying to get a good rank grabbing all the tokens was a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭molloyjazz

The labyrinth level on Revenge of Shinobi (Megadrive) frustrated the hell out of me as a kidlet. In hindsight, it wasn't particularly hard... I just didn't "get" it, or what you were supposed to do to progress.

lol i came to brick wall on the first Shinobi on the Master System when i was about 7-8 the boss was called Mandara.

That was a ****er, it took me two hours to find my way out of it by trying every possible combination. Eventually memorised it off. Still never beat the last boss.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Last platformer I've played is the New Super Mario Bros Wii game. Everything was fairly smooth running, only a few levels I'd have to play more than 5 times.

This one took me around 40+ lives. World 9-7

Bear in mind this is a walkthrough, i really had to learn the level off by heart to beat it... one of those levels that's so hard; i was determined to beat it. BY the next day I had it sewn up and could do it in one go...it's been a long time since i've been angered enough to stay put for a few hours until i've beaten it :D:D

That wasn't too tough but getting the 3 coins on it was a total bitch. It's one of the few games lately that I've finished 100% :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That wasn't too tough but getting the 3 coins on it was a total bitch. It's one of the few games lately that I've finished 100% :)

Ya I meant getting the coins and not dying! Cause the level's short enough lol. The middle coin where you have to wait for some ice to melt, and the third having to wall-jump.....it's for masochists!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,993 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Megaman Games.

Take yer pick. Im still stuck on Wily stage 2 of Megaman 9.

Though I spent 3 days (~6 hours) doing stage 1. And ill have to do it again too! :(

He makes it look easy. Though for the dragon fight i dont think he ever figured out you can use the wind attack 2x to kill him. Its the lava-shoots that took me forever. But i found you can use the concrete shot to freeze them and walk on them.

You think stage 1 and 2 are tough? Wait until you check out stage 3 and it's boss :)

Never figured the lava shoot thing, I had to use the quick rush coil trick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Current gen games have ruined me , looking back at some of these if I were to play them today , no way I'd have the patience to stick at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

One of the hardest platformers I've ever played was the first X-Men game on the Sega Megadrive. Only ever finished it once on its hardest difficulty

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You think stage 1 and 2 are tough? Wait until you check out stage 3 and it's boss :)

Never figured the lava shoot thing, I had to use the quick rush coil trick.
    I did the coil to get the powerup on the first ladder but had no idea it would reach the 2nd ladder.

After grabbing the pickup I hang off the first ladder, Concrete the lava shoot and walk to the 2nd ladder :cool:
    calex71 wrote: »
    Current gen games have ruined me , looking back at some of these if I were to play them today , no way I'd have the patience to stick at them.
    Well Megaman 9 (above) came out in 2008/9, and Megaman 10 just released and I have yet to play it.

Capcom has been getting retro, releasing 8-bit New Classics. I ****ing love the idea. I do wish they would release ALL of the old games on the Wii, not just I II and III, but I can kind of understand the reason after reading the Die Hard megaman reviews about the original titles.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    One of the hardest platformers I've ever played was the first X-Men game on the Sega Megadrive. Only ever finished it once on its hardest difficulty
    Is that the one you have to reset the console at one point but theres absolutely nothing to tell you this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Is that the one you have to reset the console at one point but theres absolutely nothing to tell you this

Seriously? That is crazy.

Please xplain chin o_O

I once played a Flash puzzle platformer that for one level the only hint is "Reload"

After 10 minutes we reloaded the Web Browser and sure enough, the Goal unlocked. :D

I believe it was called The Only Level.

One of the X-men games definitely had that in it. It was fairly ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Who remembers Rick Dangerous on the C64.

Jesus... some crazy invisible traps. Great game, never finished it.

Seriously? That is crazy.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Please xplain chin o_O
    Think it was that one anyway.
    Youre told to press a switch to reset the Danger Room computer to stop a virus or somethin but theres no switches in the game.It literally meant to press reset on the console

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

The AVGN did a review of it, it was X Men alright. He also mentioned there being no reset on the nomad. :D

Advertisement