Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The HSE

Options
  • 18-03-2010 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Am I the only one (Ok, I know I'm not, from talking with colleagues of many different professions) who thinks that HSE administrators are on a different planet from those of us who work 'on the front line' ie with patients?

Our admins seem to be thinking very differently to the clinical people. The scandal of not opening GP letters in case they'd add to our waiting lists as thus make the hospital liable for fines is a case in point. No clinician would be that devious. Or would they?

We keep saying we cannot serve the patients without adequate resources, including adequate staff. Their answer: don't open the letters, and the demand doesn't exist. they're seen to save money, and get promoted. It's so frustrating. Where is Brendan Drumm?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

We keep saying we cannot serve the patients without adequate resources, including adequate staff.
    I'm not a psychologist but the problem is obviously the HSE itself. We will probably never see the prosperity of the last 10 years again, yet during this time and with endless funds pumped into it the HSE still couldn't get it's act together. It's only going to get worse now that we have an enormous budget deficit. It's time for a radical overhaul, perhaps the government needs to dissolve the HSE and instead pay a private company to administer healthcare (like in France).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Valmont wrote: »
    I'm not a psychologist but the problem is obviously the HSE itself. We will probably never see the prosperity of the last 10 years again, yet during this time and with endless funds pumped into it the HSE still couldn't get it's act together. It's only going to get worse now that we have an enormous budget deficit. It's time for a radical overhaul, perhaps the government needs to dissolve the HSE and instead pay a private company to administer healthcare (like in France).

I know little about the system in France, do you think it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭edireland

Am I the only one (Ok, I know I'm not, from talking with colleagues of many different professions) who thinks that HSE administrators are on a different planet from those of us who work 'on the front line' ie with patients?

Our admins seem to be thinking very differently to the clinical people. The scandal of not opening GP letters in case they'd add to our waiting lists as thus make the hospital liable for fines is a case in point. No clinician would be that devious. Or would they?

We keep saying we cannot serve the patients without adequate resources, including adequate staff. Their answer: don't open the letters, and the demand doesn't exist. they're seen to save money, and get promoted. It's so frustrating. Where is Brendan Drumm?

Anyone had my experience of been treated 6 time by a HSE physiotherapist and just given hand outs.
    A told it's best practice as it's proven the exercise is the only best long term solution.
    I got no manipulation at all.
    When I complained I was told I been doing this for years and I even have private practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

The culture is one of if I do nothing, then I can't be blamed for anything.
    I do think change is coming in mental health but it will be small and incremental rather than as radical as it should be.

Advertisement