Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

looking for input

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,515 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The route you are currently doing is 60km, with 240m of "Mapmyride" climbing (which means your actual ascent is probably a bit more). How long is it taking you to do this? How often do you do it?

If the "sample route" you linked to is typical of a daily "stage", I presume the 500km will be spread over a week or more. You need to practice going back-to-back on successive days, and perhaps find some alternative routes to practice - some longer and some hillier (with steeper climbs). I would suggest you target a few sportives, such as the WW200 or Sean Kelly - if you can do one of these in a single day, the 500km you are looking to do should be no problem, particularly as you have 6 months to build up.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭8119tm

Thanks Beasty
    The 60K i did on wed took me 2h 30min and only getting to do that once a week at the moment i also cycle about 10/15 k 5 night a week.

The 500k will take place over 5 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

If you want some hills this loop in the same general direction would have them. I have never done it but I have heard of Keeper Hill as being a bit of a tough cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

blorg wrote: »
    If you want some hills this loop in the same general direction would have them. I have never done it but I have heard of Keeper Hill as being a bit of a tough cycle.

That would be a pretty tough climb. great training.

If the OP would like some advice as to good climbing in that area, then PM Home:Ballyhoura, who seems to be from that general area. He should be able to point you in the direction of tough climbs in the area. I'm from Limerick, but its been 14 years since I lived there so the memory isnt the greatest.

Also, forget cycling along the N7 as training. Its predominantly flat with too many trucks.
    If you are starting in Annacotty, head out toward Ardnacrusha and up to Cratloe Woods (Golf Balls), via Meelick. Short climb but some very steep sections. Also you will be on some pretty quiet roads which is often good.

Also a stunning route that is pretty lumpy is out to O'Briens Bridge and do a lap of Lough Derg. Did it about 20 years ago. Tough, but will be great training.
    About 100km all told.
    Best of luck.

Advertisement