Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What To Do About Illegal Parking?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Johnboymac

use two trolley jacks, one front and one at the rear.that way it doesn't matter about the car being in gear with handbrake on...and use a tow rop to save urself the effort of pushing.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Just slowly disassemble the car piece by piece moving it to another spot. see if you can reassemble the whole car before they come back to get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

That's really annoying. I remember a similar story on the radio once about people parking in someone's driveway near croke park. As far as I remember you are legally entitled to clamp a car parked on your property, or trap it in some way. Those people put up bollards, and charged the illegal parkers €100 to let them have their car back. Parkers called the Guards and Guards said they have to pay up. I know you don't have bollards, but maybe there's anorher way to trap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I'd go with the trolly jack idea, If any of the management Company staff live in the building, I'd move it to their spot, see how they feel about it being in someone elses spot then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

JHMEG wrote: »
    Could it belong to a foreign bloke who has abandonded it and Ireland and gone home?

Even without the trolley jack it'd be possible to pull it out of the space. Might take a bit of extra effort tho... :)

with about 4 fellers you could quite easily bump it out of the space, would take a couple of minutes only....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I would have lost patience by now and sold his wheels on ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 11 opentux

Well, the owner finally returned to remove his car (and then parked it illegally somewhere else)!

The management company had not yet clamped the car and I did not meet the owner so I missed the opportunity to thank him for occupying my space these past two weeks. But all's well that ends well I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

report it to customs and excise.....revenge is sweet.

• Moderators Posts: 12,369 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

If no-one is clamping in your car park, cant you just park anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I have this same problem, there's been a KE reg car parked in my (rented) apartment's designated underground space for at least the last few days. I don't have a car myself and haven't checked the space in ages so it could have been there for months for all I know, but my brother is visiting on Friday and planning to stay the weekend so I need him to be able to park there. The car is covered in a layer of dust suggesting it hasn't been moved in ages, which seems a bit dodgy to me, though the tax and all that seems to be still valid.

I've been in contact with the management company, they confirmed it's definitely my space and said they'll have no problem arranging for the car to be clamped but that doesn't really help free up the space. I left a note on it 2 days ago asking them to move it but I doubt anyone has even checked on the car to see it. Is there any point in me ringing the local garda station to see if it's been reported stolen or anything, or would that be jumping the gun? If it is some scumbag with a stolen car I'd be wary of taking any further action that could be traced back to me.

Any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

elekid wrote: »
    I have this same problem, there's been a KE reg car parked in my (rented) apartment's designated underground space for at least the last few days. I don't have a car myself and haven't checked the space in ages so it could have been there for months for all I know, but my brother is visiting on Friday and planning to stay the weekend so I need him to be able to park there. The car is covered in a layer of dust suggesting it hasn't been moved in ages, which seems a bit dodgy to me, though the tax and all that seems to be still valid.

I've been in contact with the management company, they confirmed it's definitely my space and said they'll have no problem arranging for the car to be clamped but that doesn't really help free up the space. I left a note on it 2 days ago asking them to move it but I doubt anyone has even checked on the car to see it. Is there any point in me ringing the local garda station to see if it's been reported stolen or anything, or would that be jumping the gun? If it is some scumbag with a stolen car I'd be wary of taking any further action that could be traced back to me.

Any advice?

Don't contact the Gardaí, as they can't really help and if you call them there's a record, follow post # 2's advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

corktina wrote: »
    report it to customs and excise.....revenge is sweet.

This is the BEST course of action suggested so far.

The owner of the car is most likely resident here, and therefore this car is subject to seizure.

Customs and Excise can enter private property and remove the car.

Write them a detailed (anonymous if you wish) letter detailing how long the car has been there. Take photos also of the car in different spots.

Send it all off to the Revenue.

If you do this, then the problem will be solved. If you don't, then it will re-occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 opentux

Pkiernan wrote: »
    This is the BEST course of action suggested so far.

The owner of the car is most likely resident here, and therefore this car is subject to seizure.

Customs and Excise can enter private property and remove the car.

Write them a detailed (anonymous if you wish) letter detailing how long the car has been there. Take photos also of the car in different spots.

Send it all off to the Revenue.

If you do this, then the problem will be solved. If you don't, then it will re-occur.
    I doubt he will be parking in my space again, the management company told me they had left warnings and stickers on his car until he moved it. But I agree it is a wickedly devious idea. ;)

elekid, your management company is probably your best chance of success. As was suggested to me, perhaps try asking them for an alternative space until yours can be freed.

Advertisement