Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym Myths

Options
  • 15-03-2010 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

hey all

i was advised that if i do weights in the gym , i should avoid going for a swim or jacuzzi apparently it has a negative reaction to what you did in the gym. ur muscle doesnt grow because the jacuzzi or swimming relaxes it again rather than it being tense

personally i think thats aload of b**locks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

You're correct, it is indeed a load of bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Naos wrote: »
    You're correct, it is indeed a load of bollox.

I'm only gonna go the gym once a month now cos I don't wanna get "too big"... that's cool, right??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Now THAT is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    I'm only gonna go the gym once a month now cos I don't wanna get "too big"... that's cool, right??

Yep, I can guarantee you won't get "too big".

The myth that pisses me off is the "fat burning zone". I'm so fed up with people strolling along on the treadmill, trying not to break a sweat in case they get out of fat burning zone.

Listen up. It's based on a mathematical fallacy. True, at low intensity, you burn a greater proportion of calories as fat. But you burn only a tiny amount of calories. At higher intensity, you burn more calories overall, including more fat calories and you do it in a much shorter space of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

EileenG wrote: »
    The myth that pisses me off is the "fat burning zone". I'm so fed up with people strolling along on the treadmill, trying not to break a sweat in case they get out of fat burning zone.

Listen up. It's based on a mathematical fallacy. True, at low intensity, you burn a greater proportion of calories as fat. But you burn only a tiny amount of calories. At higher intensity, you burn more calories overall, including more fat calories and you do it in a much shorter space of time.

very well put. However, most of the time its just an excuse people use for not pushing themselves, and staying in their comfort zone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Well we all know prolonged deadlifting/squatting will wreck your knees and back in later life.

Best just to stick to pumping the guns, safer like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

Think there is another one that if you do higher intensity you have a chance of burning or reducing muscle size. Heard that off 2 different bodybuilders, never bothered looking into it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Iv'e only been a gym member 2 months now, but the other day I hit the steam room for 3-4 mins after my workout, then shower and home. I felt much better in the morning.

Surely the heat/steam is good for you after a workout?

I'm obviously no expert like, anyone care to comment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

yes, lets all rant.. its been a long time. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I was bitching about my back the other day and some lad walks over taps me on the shoulder and told me it was sore because my back wasn't completely flat when i was benching..

I considered killing and eating him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Was he a low fat lad?

squod wrote: »
    Was he a low fat lad?

Naw a non-descript skinny dude...

Why? Are we in the same gym?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

I was bitching about my back the other day and some lad walks over taps me on the shoulder and told me it was sore because my back wasn't completely flat when i was benching..

id deck him one tbh :P

d-gal wrote: »
    Think there is another one that if you do higher intensity you have a chance of burning or reducing muscle size. Heard that off 2 different bodybuilders, never bothered looking into it

If you are sub 5% bodyfat, then yes, cardio in a calorie deficit might burn your muscles. If you've got plenty of fat to lose, that's what your body will burn when you do cardio.

I was talking to a 400lb guy recently who was obsessed with the danger that if he went for a walk, it would cause all his muscles to shrivel up and disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭shootermacg

While you are of course correct mostly, intense cardio isn't recommended for the more mature members of the forum as it can lead to heart attack/strokes etc.

Actually the fat burning zone is a reality. You can recognise it by an increase of 1 degree in your core temperature. This is when your body is in optimum fat burning mode. Usually takes me 2K to hit this zone (I like to pace myself early on) I then run another 3K.

I like to finish off with 1K of windsprints just to get the longer lasting fat burn in. Walking IMO isn't worth ****, my heartrate stays the same when i walk for 1km or 6km, the trick is to challenge yourself, up the intensity if possible.

Are we in the same gym?

I doubt it. Never heard anyone running while screaming your name etc...

squod wrote: »
    I doubt it. Never heard anyone running while screaming your name etc...

i read the earlier post incorrectly :o

i read the earlier post incorrectly :o

The anagram generator turns up some funny ones, your name stands out in peculiar. 'teh labialL lotus'.

While you are of course correct mostly, intense cardio isn't recommended for the more mature members of the forum as it can lead to heart attack/strokes etc.

Intensity is relative to age and fitness. What I consider intense cardio, my kids consider just playing about. But it's intense for me, so it's doing the job.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

If you are sub 5% bodyfat, then yes, cardio in a calorie deficit might burn your muscles. If you've got plenty of fat to lose, that's what your body will burn when you do cardio.

I was talking to a 400lb guy recently who was obsessed with the danger that if he went for a walk, it would cause all his muscles to shrivel up and disappear.

Fairly interesting especially since a lot of bodybuilders would not even hit that on stage! Maybe it is closer to 10% for burning muscles? Or maybe bodybuilders just hate cardio!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

ive seen your arch you might as well be flat....

Why would you burn muscle unless you are in a ridiculous calorie deficit? Assuming you are lifting hard and using your muscles, your body knows they are necessary, and is not going to cannabalise them just because you go for a run.

The danger really arises if you are in a sever deficit and have almost no fat to burn, like someone prepping for a big competition. Unless you are getting through gallons of Pro Tan, it's not likely to apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭colmconn

well he'd have been a source of protein.

ive seen your arch you might as well be flat....

It's true :(

Advertisement