Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin to Montpellier in July

Options
  • 15-03-2010 12:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

So I am going to Montpellier at the end of July, and thought I would log my training routine here.
    My route will take me, approx 1,650km, beginning in Dublin and cycling to Rosslare for the ferry to Roscoff. From there I will follow the coastline in stages down to the town of St Jean de Luz near the Spanish border. From there across to Carcassonne and down to Montpelier, before getting the train back to Cherbourg.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Currywurst

Saturday 13th March

First time back on bike, outside of commuting the 15 minute cycle to work every week day.
    Went down towards Bray, but just before turned back. Probably about 30km altogether.

Sunday 14th March

Rathmines to Phoenix Park, 5 laps of Phoenix Park and back to Rathmines.

Legs felt very very weak towards the end. I have had periods of time without going cycling, but none has felt this tough coming back into things.
    Going to do my first few weeks of training without bringing food stuffs. When up to longer distances will take my usual baguette and bananas.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Sounds like a great trip.
    People may be able to offer some more help if you posted up your training plan for the next 3 months.
    +1 on the eating, when I started cycling got sucked into eating regularly (as most people say you should) and would eat approx 1 nutrigrain per hour. For the last 3 months I bring bars but only eat if I really need to and notice no drop in performance but a slight drop in weight......so see how it works out for you

Ryder wrote: »
    Sounds like a great trip.
    People may be able to offer some more help if you posted up your training plan for the next 3 months.
    +1 on the eating, when I started cycling got sucked into eating regularly (as most people say you should) and would eat approx 1 nutrigrain per hour. For the last 3 months I bring bars but only eat if I really need to and notice no drop in performance but a slight drop in weight......so see how it works out for you

Well my eating worries in France would be with the heat, i tend to loose apettite in hot weather.
    For the next 3 months, without having a serious plan, I just plan on increasing my weekend spins every week, then go up to the Dublin/Wicklow mountains to do lots of hill cycling. Hopefully, i will be back to doing 150km on the Saturday on the Sunday. And sometimes having a few laps of the Phoenix Park to increase speed work. That would be my aim.
    I might go to the gym to use the stationary bikes for an hour once or twice during the weekdays soon. But am not going to do much weight training.
    And in the last few weeks, i am going to just rest for one week. i found this out, when i did a trip around Ireland a few years back by accident. I stopped for two weeks out of lazyness, but it helped. i felt refreshed as I set off.

Would an odd jog be of any use, or would it be useless?

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Think that the long weekend back to back spins are a good idea. I would add in an 8 week period before you go of hill repeats. In the meantime would suggest you use your park cycle to increase your lactate tolerance, maybe doing some 10 min intervals.
    Jogging is a good idea but would do it regularly ie once a week rather than infrequently to built up ligaments etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

@Currywurst. Given that you live in Rathmines is there a reason that you cycle across town to lap the park.
    To my mind it is inefficient training. You are about 20mins from the foothills of the Dublin mountains. Honestly you should head there and get start now building up your milage.

ROK ON wrote: »
    @Currywurst. Given that you live in Rathmines is there a reason that you cycle across town to lap the park.
    To my mind it is inefficient training. You are about 20mins from the foothills of the Dublin mountains. Honestly you should head there and get start now building up your milage.

I use Phoenix Park for a faster cyle as its flat. Just so I can practise some speed work to help the legs. I am quite slow up those hills. But when i get into it, I'll usually go up the hills every weekend.

Ryder wrote: »
    Think that the long weekend back to back spins are a good idea. I would add in an 8 week period before you go of hill repeats. In the meantime would suggest you use your park cycle to increase your lactate tolerance, maybe doing some 10 min intervals.
    Jogging is a good idea but would do it regularly ie once a week rather than infrequently to built up ligaments etc.

10 minute intervals? That is sprinting for 10, easy for 10, sprinting for 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭chakattack

I'd agree with Ryder and ROK ON. Try to get plenty of distance in before developing speed. Start with two 40K rides at the weekend and add 10K each week. If you bonked on a 30k spin you need to build endurance.

Weights will build muscular endurance (pace over distance) so I'd choose these over jogging and try to fit in a brisk 1 hr spin and some stretching/core/flexibility work midweek.

I don't think your not eating plan is a good idea. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you want to train yourself to eat less on a spin? For a 1650k event your top priority will be consuming enough food and water and you need to learn what foods work for you and train your body to digest food while working hard.

Advertisement