Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, in all seriousness, what are the 'positives'?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭I.Am.A.Panda

I've heard there are short-term medical benefits from smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Arthurdaly - Ignored forum charter and on-thread warning. Banned.

HB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's been over ten years since I last had one, but I clearly remember how pleasurable the one after a good meal was. It used to be the perfect end to the meal. I was never one to be 'gumming for a fag' first thing in the morning My delight was in the after meal one.

I was also a big, big fan of the ritual involved, the stripping off of the plastic from the new pack, the lighting up, the smell of the match (I always preferred matches to a lighter), the sound of the paper starting to burn.

Smoking at night gave the added delight of watching the smoke leave me in long trails.

While a smoker, I really liked the smell of cigarettes. I don't now, but there you go. I really liked smoking while I did it. I miss it a lot, but have to admit I feel better without them - and I've saved a fortune (was heading for 60 a day when I stopped).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭DubTony

About 25 years ago a woman came into my shop and looked at the cigarette display.

"Gimme ... eh ... 20 John Playe Blue son."

After handing them to her I watched her hold the pack at about chin level as she removed the plastic. She watched the plastic drop to the floor and then opened the pack. She took out the silver paper and watched that drop to the floor as well. As she took a smoke from the pack she licked her lips. She put it between her lips and stopped. Then she took it ut and said "Have ya got a light son?" I gave her a lighter and she put the smoke back in her mouth and lit it slowly. As she inhaled it very, very slowly, there was a look of complete satisfaction on her face. She stood there ... sort of ... quivering.

"Are you ok?" I said.

"Oh, I'm grand now son. Me husband died 6 months ago, and that's the first smoke I've had in 20 years since he made me give them up"

With that she turned and left.

Pleasure or what?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

1) Relieving stress (obviously) Its also a good reward system, you look forward to your ciggy break.

2) It helps me think.

3) I dunno, its entirely irrational but I really like my smokes. Tried to give up before and I was worse than a bull in a china shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

I've heard there are short-term medical benefits from smoking.
    Source?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine#Therapeutic_uses has some info on potential benefits.

Advertisement