Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAMA - figures are not adding up

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Sand wrote: »
    @Scofflaw

Scofflaw: read back what youve just posted.

If NAMA makes a loss, then the government is going to claw it back from the banks? If thats accurate, what is the purpose of NAMA? It cant be to remove the losses from the bank balance sheets, because if the loans lose money then it will be clawed back anyhow. And if the loans make profit, the banks get no share in it. Its all lose for the banks and no win? Really?

A tax clawback directly contradicts the entire purpose of NAMA - removing the losses from the banks balance sheets and ensuring the PAYE slaves take the hit. If the banks take the hit, then NAMA is totally pointless. If the clawback is credible then simply leaving the loans on the banks books will be the optimal solution as it removes the legal and administration costs of NAMA, and the banks are going to know their business better than the NTMA.

There will not be any clawback. Its just more myth and disinformation spread by Fianna Fail. Its an outright lie.

We are chatting about 10 years here. For all we know, FF could be forever in opposition by then.

The banks will have got rid of the Bad Debts by then, they should be back to being viable banks returning profits.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

@Scofflaw

Scofflaw: read back what youve just posted.

If NAMA makes a loss, then the government is going to claw it back from the banks? If thats accurate, what is the purpose of NAMA? It cant be to remove the losses from the bank balance sheets, because if the loans lose money then it will be clawed back anyhow. And if the loans make profit, the banks get no share in it. Its all lose for the banks and no win? Really?

A tax clawback directly contradicts the entire purpose of NAMA - removing the losses from the banks balance sheets and ensuring the PAYE slaves take the hit. If the banks take the hit, then NAMA is totally pointless. If the clawback is credible then simply leaving the loans on the banks books will be the optimal solution as it removes the legal and administration costs of NAMA, and the banks are going to know their business better than the NTMA.

There will not be any clawback. Its just more myth and disinformation spread by Fianna Fail. Its an outright lie.

No, I'm not going to simply accept that, because there's a perfectly good reason for a clawback later. The idea of NAMA is that it's part of returning the Irish banking system to a healthy state, with a 7-10 year timeline.

What the banks can't afford to pay now they should be able to pay by the time NAMA winds up. So while they couldn't afford to pay off the NAMA losses now, they should be able to do so once they've returned to profitability. Therefore, the loans go into NAMA now, but if they make a loss in a decade they get paid back then. It's the same logic as taking on any burdensome responsibility for someone else, on the understanding that while they can't afford to do it now, they will compensate you for any losses you sustain when they are back in the black.

We're taking over the banks' toxic debts in order to make them healthy again, and in exchange they have to compensate any losses we suffer by doing so when they are healthy again. It's really not very complex reasoning, and it's certainly not something I can see a reason for dismissing outright without any evidence whatsoever, as you've just done. It's certainly not something that "directly contradicts the entire purpose of NAMA" - it fits very well with it.
    Politicians are purely short term thinkers. Do you think Cowen, Lenihan or anyone in Fianna Fail have any long term view, any loyalty to the future of our country? All they are worried about is holding their seats and trying to pull something out of the bag in the next election. Thats it. Thats as far as it goes.

NAMA avoids the banks having to crystallise their losses, it helps avoid the embarrassing shambles of the developers business deals being dragged out in open court, and it packages up the losses in a highly secretive quango and kicks them down the road a few years after the next election for someone else to bother about. If Fianna Fail are kicked out, the NAMA debacle will be a poison pill for the next governent, and if theyre still in power theyll have another 5 years to distract the plebs with shiny baubles.

And finally, we cant discount the possibility that Lenihan is simply making it up as he goes along, panicked into a deranged guarantee and stumbling from crisis to crisis ever since with no direction or strategy other than getting through the day.

Sure, sure. Nor can we discount the idea that they're all lizard men, or Al-Qaeda operatives, but I'm not going to start building theories on top of it. I'm sorry, I can't take seriously an 'argument' that relies on "Fianna Fáil, I hate'em, they're all crooks" as a real premise. However popular such an attitude might be, it's not any kind of fact, but an opinion. It's "stands to reason" stuff.

Yes, NAMA means the banks don't crystallise the losses now (they cannot afford to, and if they did so the losses would likely be more now than if they took their time) - that's the point, isn't it. That doesn't preclude the losses being made up later - the whole point is to avoid crystallising them now, because that would wipe out the banks, unless we nationalised them, which would breach our EU GDP-debt ratios.

The bank levy is in all the documentation, and all the public material for NAMA has it (bar the legislation, for reasons that have been given). When the day comes, the government of the day wil be under pressure to use the mechanism - and it will be a politically very popular thing to do. And Fianna Fáil expect to be in government all the time.

If we know in 2017 that NAMA is making a loss, and the banks are making a profit, then whoever says that in government they'd be activating the bank levy to claw back the NAMA losses will have a very strong election card. Sticking it to the banks plus improving public finances...what's not to like?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

dynamick wrote: »
    unemployment has been stable for the past 9 months.

Rates are at 1% and not expected to rise this year.
    Oversupply is overplayed right now as a factor in suppressing future demand for housing. If you look at the figures for empty housing in any of the sources, you see that Dublin and commuter counties are least affected while places like donegal, leitrim, rosommon etc have huge quantities of empty housing. When non-speculative demand reappears for housing it will be on the back of new jobs most lilkely in urban areas where companies tend to locate. Housing in remote counties is never going to recover in value. Shed loads of rural houses and no jobs to pay for them means housing will fall below its construction cost if it hasn't already done so.

1 - There is no proof unemployment has stabilised as the figures do not take into account emigration and back to education(FAS courses). Do you have employment numbers?
    2 - Interest rates will rise either this year or next year, they ain't going lower.
    3 - Plenty of vacants in the Dublin area. They have not been sold yet which means the price is still to high for a high demand area hence prices will have to be lowered to shift them.
    These new jobs you speak of, their salaries will be a level lower than before as private sector wages have gone down in the last couple of years hence that demand needs to afford the asking price of houses. Only way for prices is down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

Scofflaw wrote: »
    No, I'm not going to simply accept that, because there's a perfectly good reason for a clawback later. The idea of NAMA is that it's part of returning the Irish banking system to a healthy state, with a 7-10 year timeline.

I don’t think that rescuing of banks was primary purpose of NAMA
    a) developers banks are dead. Demand will continue to fall further, because immigration will reverse to emigration. It means that more and more investment properties will go on market due repossessions. Of coarse, demand will be not zero, but we will have very interesting situation when non-zero demand will co-exist with growing oversupply. It means that that there is no niche for special developers banks.
    b) retail banks are more critical, but AIB cold go bust without big consequences for economy. BoI, Ulster and Permanent could handle all transactions and supply enough credit for economy
    c) collapse of Irish banks would hit EU economy more then Ireland. 3 Bn owed by Icelandic banks to British and Dutch created enough headache for EU, imagine what would happen if it would be 30 times bigger. This is why ECB agreed to provide cheap money and closed eyes that NAMA is not part of state debt.
    d) NAMA is an attempt to return market into bubble state by distorting supply in 10 years time. Taking out of market most of rezoned land and preventing new rezoning by windfall tax should create significant misbalance between supply and demand in 10-15 years time. If government could be more trusted, it could give some hope that all profits will go back to taxpayers, but I afraid that it never will happen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

My point is that those changes were primarily based on immigration and immigrants couldn’t stay here without housing.

We had strong immigration from 1997 onwards. The problem with immigration post 2002 was that it was primarily construction driven immigration ...ie they came to build or to take an unsilled job of someone who had left the meat factory or petrol station to go building.

The sudden demand for HOUSING was a function of the frenzied rate if construction that drew in extra immigrants...especially post May 2004...and those extra immigrants then went building like crazy.

This push push mechanism was confused with real sustainable demand for housing and we built like maniacs with a peak in 2006 and 2007.

Once the building stopped after 2007, immigrants left as there was no more builiding and this created a large gap between what we built and what was required.

We therefore have a grossly excessive housing stock, no demand for it and no engine in place that will drive demand for that housing stock and thereby reduce the number of empty homes.

If we could convert Laois into Afghanistan and offer to train NATO armies there pre deployment we might start to make inroads maybe :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

K-9 wrote: »
    That isn't really what he said. AIB made an operating profit recently, before Bad Debts. They have more Bad Debts to declare over the next couple of years, but that really should be it. As somebody pointed out earlier, most Property loans are for a Short Term.

The point still remains that once the Bad Debts are cleared and NAMA takes some of the risky ones, they should return profits.

Just reading the latest Tribune article on NAMA and it seems the Banks maybe asked to take the hit on some of the more "speculatory" loans:
    Nama gives developers only 45 days to draft survival plans

when will we see credit available?

when??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

gurramok wrote: »
    1 - There is no proof unemployment has stabilised as the figures do not take into account emigration and back to education(FAS courses). Do you have employment numbers?
    These are CSO figures showing unemployment has been stable for 9 months. I can't do better than that. Can you?

Yes I have employment numbers:

0F49AFBE6ABC4CFA91416AC89267A5D6.jpg
    These are CSO QNHS figures. Employment down from peak but not fallen off a cliff.
    2 - Interest rates will rise either this year or next year, they ain't going lower.
    Probably they will.
    3 - Plenty of vacants in the Dublin area.
    Relative to the rest of the country, the numbers are low. I am not going to present the numbers to you, you can do that yourself if you are interested.

In short, I think that at this stage, irrational despair has replaced irrational exuberance. The same mistake during the boom of extrapolating straightline trends on all statistics is being made now with people assuming the whole country is going back to the 80s.

That is not to say that house prices are not going to fall further or that NAMA will break even. Just that we are not heading for armageddon any more.

And banks have to lend, after all what else are they going to do with the billions they have on deposit? I think there is a misunderstanding of what a bank is: it is merely an agent for lending money from depositors out to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

T
    In short, I think that at this stage, irrational despair has replaced irrational exuberance. The same mistake during the boom of extrapolating straightline trends on all statistics is being made now with people assuming the whole country is going back to the 80s.

That is not to say that house prices are not going to fall further or that NAMA will break even. Just that we are not heading for armageddon any more.

+1

couldn't have said it better myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭Count Dooku

And banks have to lend, after all what else are they going to do with the billions they have on deposit? I think there is a misunderstanding of what a bank is: it is merely an agent for lending money from depositors out to other people.
    Lend to whom?
    Consumer loans market is nearly dead. Nobody wants to buy luxuries anymore, because nobody feel secure in our days, even PS workers. Plus nobody knows which taxes will be introduced next. People are trying to save rather then spend.
    SME loans market is very risky, because too much turbulence on market.
    Plus nobody want to pay banks loses through high interest rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

What the banks can't afford to pay now they should be able to pay by the time NAMA winds up. So while they couldn't afford to pay off the NAMA losses now, they should be able to do so once they've returned to profitability. Therefore, the loans go into NAMA now, but if they make a loss in a decade they get paid back then. It's the same logic as taking on any burdensome responsibility for someone else, on the understanding that while they can't afford to do it now, they will compensate you for any losses you sustain when they are back in the black.

Hi,
    I'm still not sure where I stand on NAMA, but I know for sure I cant come up with an alternative.
    However, one of this things that sicken me is the banks greed, both in the past, right now and now doubt into the future, while all of us pay for THEIR mistakes.
    Someone mentioned how AIB managed to make a profit of circa 3.5 billions last year before bad loans were taken into account. This bank is now about to offload the majority of those loans to NAMA. Its obvious to see that their day to day operations are making a fairly healthy profit. Could one ask then why they feel the need to raise their variable interest rates putting the squeeze on many people who may be pushing it tight to pay already?

• Advertisement

oh please stop, Frank Fahey is that you?
    no one is talking about 80s but about how entirely unrealistic NAMAs plan is
    we be lucky if prices in 10 years time are at same level as now, never mind 25%+ rises
    house prices are still well above the historic (in all countries) 3.5-4x average salary

were in for a slow rot, and NAMA will only prolong it

hell the US where hundreds of banks were allowed to go under, and where people can just hand keys back to the bank is already seeing rises in some states, none of that here

as for oversupply, theres 10 years worth of commercial space in dublin alone, thats the type of crap that be going into NAMA

ei.sdraob wrote: »

when??

If the banks are following their traditional patterns, the answer is "right around the time it becomes less than vital".
    dynamick wrote:

That's a very good summary of things. If our economy contracted at a steady 5% per year, every year, it would still take us until 2029 for the economy to shrink to the size it was in 1990.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

oh please stop, Frank Fahey is that you?

Gerry Adams is that you?

this is a great game:p

woodseb wrote: »
    Gerry Adams is that you?

this is a great game:p

:rolleyes:

can you please explain to me what miracle(s) will cause a 25% rise between now and 2020?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭whynotwhycanti

can you please explain to me what miracle(s) will cause a 25% rise between now and 2020?

Exactly, if we look at Japan who implemented something similar it took approx twenty years for prices to reach 70% of their boom price, and that did not take into account inflation. If we take into account inflation, the fact that the boom in Japan was not perhaps as extreme as here and also the fact that the Japanese economy is the second biggest in the world; i fail to side with the NAMA supporters who refer to these projected figures that are supposed to put our minds at ease and believe that NAMA will work.

NAMA is a huge huge gamble that could so easily fail. I think it is a terrible decision and hope it succeeds because if it doesn't, well then our leaders have simply overseen another disaster.

....well that's a loaded question, i'm not going to try to explain something based on your assumptions which i disagree with......I'll be happy to try to explain it when we get clarity on the discounts etc, but even then it'll be pointless as we obviously disagree on the future path of property prices - and this thread will continue to go around in circles. I've said before that its likely NAMA will make a slight loss but I wouldn't see that as a total failure.

woodseb wrote: »
    ....well that's a loaded question, i'm not going to try to explain something based on your assumptions which i disagree with......I'll be happy to try to explain it when we get clarity on the discounts etc, but even then it'll be pointless as we obviously disagree on the future path of property prices - and this thread will continue to go around in circles. I've said before that its likely NAMA will make a slight loss but I wouldn't see that as a total failure.

what do you think in % the prices will be in 10 years as compared to now (average price of 230K nationwide), and why

im talking about the next 10 years, the supposed lifetime of NAMA

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Why ten years? NAMA can run for an indefinite period of time.

Ah shure lets run it forever so that we have a false bottom to our property prices, that way ff/developers/bankers can control the flow and price of property for ever :rolleyes:
    Over a decade - not in the next year or two. That's a 2.5% annual rise per decade (yes, it actually is!) - or, if we assume prices continue to drop until 2013, then we need a 6.5% annual rise in property prices for the next 6 years.

Those are not in any way bizarre figures. They do assume an Irish economic recovery, as opposed to Japan-style years of deflation, that's all.

Whatever we do with NAMA we wind up giving money to the banks directly - and the lower the valuations, the more money we directly give the banks.

But looking solely at the valuations is pretty meaningless. What the State is buying isn't property, but loans. Only if the debtors are terminally unable to service their loans does the valuation of the property really come into play.

Ah for fecks sake why do people persist with this fallacy that we will only get the loans if the debtors are unable to service the loans.
    It is not an if, it is a when and in some cases it has already happened.
    Some of these loans haven't being serviced in ages, ala carroll's and the banks haven't cared because they have known NAMA i.e. the taxpayers are going to be carrying the can.

Look at the big players who have already been responsible for 16 odd billion AFAIK loans going into NAMA.
    mcnamara's empire has crumbled, a couple of judges laughed the rosey future outlook carroll's Zoe group had of it's future.
    ACC/Rabobank have more realistic view of this.
    fleming is finished leaving a 13 storey tower eyesore in Sandyford together with a big hole in the ground.
    paddy kelly is a busted flush.
    sean dunne is running a possibly unplanned supermarket within an ex hotel to keep the wolves form the door.
    derek quinlan has legged to Switzerland and is trying to shift his expensive pads around the world.
    These are some of the biggest, just imagine all the little guys with a field here and everywhere.
    Yet these are the same developers that are going to be serving their loans ? :rolleyes:
    Not only that, but if NAMA loses money, there is a clawback mechanism to take the loss out of the banks' profits, because after all, this is their mess that's being cleaned up.

Cock and bull story no.2
    Where exactly are these profits going to come from ?
    The banks aren't lending and they will up their charges meaning it is joe soap, who is probably a taxpayer, who is paying yet more bank charges so that joe soap's government gets more money back in a supposed clawback.
    I'm not a fan of NAMA - it would certainly have been better not to be in a position where such a thing was in any sense required. Nor am I particularly optimistic about NAMA. I'm only involved in the debate because, as so often with anything complex, the sheer level of misunderstanding and misinformation about NAMA is horrific.

Any proposed alternative is not - realistically - going to happen now, but it's still interesting to speculate on what else could have been done, and in what way it would have been better than NAMA. However, to propose something better than NAMA, people need to be better than the real NAMA, not the confused straw NAMA that has been created by public incomprehension.

NAMA has the following elements:

1. valuation of loans and assets
    2. transfer of performing loans and assets
    3. long-term management of loans and assets for maximum return
    4. clawback of any NAMA losses from bank profits

Step 1 is the tricky bit, but a low valuation of NAMA assets has the automatic corollary of the State putting more money directly into the banks. A high valuation of NAMA assets increases the risk of NAMA making a loss - which is then taken out of the banks' profits by added taxation.

To me, the main risk here is political - that NAMA will make a loss, but the government will not choose to take the losses out of the banks' profits. Aside from that, there is a slighter risk that banks involved will go out of business.

Where is the monumentally bad thing that NAMA is supposed to be in all that, exactly?

puzzled,
    Scofflaw

Maybe the monumentally bad thing in all this is that we will be wasting billions of taxpayers funds over the coming years to keep afloat a bunch of banks/bankers that were/are at best inept/wreckless/greedy/unethical and at worst corrupt, while at the same time we desperately have a huge budget deficit, massive unemployment, a shrinking economy and the money could be better used elsewhere.

Will we end up in a situation where we have healthy non lending high charges banks with little or no general productive economic activity, high unemployment, emigration like the old days, massive government borrowing, high taxes and poor services ?

Say a developer builds houses at a cost of €300k per unit but aims to sell them for €325k he borrows 80% of the build cost to finance the project. The developer then gets into financial trouble after some time and cannot repay his loans, but has 50k paid off. House prices tumble to half their expected value to €162.5k. Loan of 240k-50k=190. The house is worth 85% of the remaining value of the loan, and NAMA makes back 88c in the euro for its loan. Not exactly a disasterous return. And with NAMA controlling supply they will be able to control price, and the longer they hold the asset the more pressure they will be able to exert on developers to pay up.

Except in some cases developers have not paid off anything, nada, zilt, nothing.
    Sometimes they had cosey relationships where they only paid on completion which was meant to be last year or year before.
    Thus you are left with full loan to be paid back.

We have oversupply of property, residential, retail and commerical so is NAMA going to sit on these properties until eventually that supply dries up and there is demand ?
    So basically you are fine with an artifical price floor being put on property ?
    Meanwhile what happens to all the half built developments, what happens to the empty property ?

Why would any investors of property funds buy into this market ?
    In other words if you want to invest in property especially commerical or retail don't in Ireland since because of NAMA you are paying too much.
    The banks are still generating an operating profit. With the bad loans dealt with they will be quite healthy.

It would be wonderful if all businesses or private individuals could operate in such a fashion. :rolleyes:

Hell I am very profitable too if I reckon my mortgage, my credit card, my taxes, etc. :D

I am not allowed discuss …

what do you think in % the prices will be in 10 years as compared to now (average price of 230K nationwide), and why

i don't think 10% to say 250k is unreasonable due to normal inflation, an expected pick up in economic growth, a young population, people having short memories about property bubbles and NAMA controlling supply (whether you like it or not)

10 years is a long time in the economic life of a country (and nama can be extended, it doesn't have to liquidate everything in March 2020), as we have seen before things can change quickly and i realise it can take the other route too

jmayo wrote: »
    Ah shure lets run it forever so that we have a false bottom to our property prices, that way ff/developers/bankers can control the flow and price of property for ever :rolleyes:

Ah for fecks sake why do people persist with this fallacy that we will only get the loans if the debtors are unable to service the loans.
    Some of these loans haven't being serviced in ages, ala carroll's and the banks haven't cared because they have known NAMA i.e. the taxpayers are going to be carrying the can.

Look at the big players who have already been responsible for 16 odd billion AFAIK loans going into NAMA.
    mcnamara's empire has crumbled, a couple of judges laughed the rosey future outlook carroll's Zoe group had of it's future.
    ACC/Rabobank have more realistic view of this.
    fleming is finished leaving a 13 storey tower eyesore in Sandyford together with a big hole in the ground.
    paddy kelly is a busted flush.
    sean dunne is running a possibly unplanned supermarket within an ex hotel to keep the wolves form the door.
    derek quinlan has legged to Switzerland and is trying to shift his expensive pads around the world.
    These are some of the biggest, just imagine all the little guys with a field here and everywhere.
    Yet these are the same developers that are going to be serving their loans ? :rolleyes:

Cock and bull story no.2
    Where exactly are these profits going to come from ?
    The banks aren't lending and they will up their charges meaning it is joe soap, who is probably a taxpayer, who is paying yet more bank charges so that joe soap's government gets more money back in a supposed clawback.

Maybe the monumentally bad thing in all this is that we will be wasting billions of taxpayers funds over the coming years to keep afloat a bunch of banks/bankers that were/are at best inept/wreckless/greedy/unethical and at worst corrupt, while at the same time we desperately have a huge budget deficit, massive unemployment, a shrinking economy and the money could be better used elsewhere.

Will we end up in a situation where we have healthy non lending high charges banks with little or no general productive economic activity, high unemployment, emigration like the old days, massive government borrowing, high taxes and poor services ?

Except in some cases developers have not paid off anything, nada, zilt, nothing.
    Sometimes they had cosey relationships where they only paid on completion which was meant to be last year or year before.
    Thus you are left with full loan to be paid back.

We have oversupply of property, residential, retail and commerical so is NAMA going to sit on these properties until eventually that supply dries up and there is demand ?
    So basically you are fine with an artifical price floor being put on property ?
    Meanwhile what happens to all the half built developments, what happens to the empty property ?

Why would any investors of property funds buy into this market ?
    In other words if you want to invest in property especially commerical or retail don't in Ireland since because of NAMA you are paying too much.

It would be wonderful if all businesses or private individuals could operate in such a fashion. :rolleyes:

Hell I am very profitable too if I reckon my mortgage, my credit card, my taxes, etc. :D

This is exactly the kind of rant about NAMA that entirely fails to impress me. There's not a single solid argument in there, just a couple of anecdotes and a lot of speculation interspersed with shouts of "it's all awful! look how bad the government are! it's all lies! lies! it'll never be better! we're doomed I tell you! DOOMED!".

See earlier posts regarding the tax clawback mechanism, EU oversight of valuation, non-performing loans, likely profitability of banks in a decade's time, etc. I can't be bothered writing it all out again for a post of this quality.

bored,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

i think the point he was making is that the banks are profitable at the moment when you strip out the writedowns and bad debts which is a perfectly reasonable way to judge if the bank can be profitable when things return to normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

What if NAMA makes a loss in 10 years? Say we are billions down as a result of the scheme. This may be a better scenario than the alternatives. This is the risk we are taking.

You can't say this is a bad decision without comparing the risks of taking the alternative paths such as nationalisation, do-nothing, bank liquidation etc.

Many countries have had financial crises like ours before and every response has been tried and tested. No matter which route we take we will end up paying out a lot of cash. Read about 42 past financial crises and their resolutions here
    http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2008/wp08224.pdf

At this stage, you might be better directing your anger and energy towards avoiding the next crisis rather than crying over spilt milk.

Exactly, if we look at Japan who implemented something similar it took approx twenty years for prices to reach 70% of their boom price, and that did not take into account inflation. If we take into account inflation, the fact that the boom in Japan was not perhaps as extreme as here and also the fact that the Japanese economy is the second biggest in the world; i fail to side with the NAMA supporters who refer to these projected figures that are supposed to put our minds at ease and believe that NAMA will work.

OK - again, where is the correspondence specifically to Japan as opposed to any other country that has ever had a recession and a burst property bubble? Was Japan a mostly services economy? Was it in the Euro? Was it a similar size of economy, even?
    NAMA is a huge huge gamble that could so easily fail. I think it is a terrible decision and hope it succeeds because if it doesn't, well then our leaders have simply overseen another disaster.

So if it's a "huge" gamble, where's the "huge" bit? If NAMA failed to make any money whatsoever, and the government never activates the bank levy, it's worth about 2 years of current government deficit - and what, according to you, is the likelihood that it will fail to make any money at all?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

What if NAMA makes a loss in 10 years? Say we are billions down as a result of the scheme. This may be a better scenario than the alternatives. This is the risk we are taking.

You can't say this is a bad decision without comparing the risks of taking the alternative paths such as nationalisation, do-nothing, bank liquidation etc.

Many countries have had financial crises like ours before and every response has been tried and tested. No matter which route we take we will end up paying out a lot of cash. Read about 42 past financial crises and their resolutions here
    http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2008/wp08224.pdf

At this stage, you might be better directing your anger and energy towards avoiding the next crisis rather than crying over spilt milk.

did I say theres no risk?

NAMA seems like the worst of all options out of this mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭whynotwhycanti

OK - again, where is the correspondence specifically to Japan as opposed to any other country that has ever had a recession and a burst property bubble? Was Japan a mostly services economy? Was it in the Euro? Was it a similar size of economy, even?

So if it's a "huge" gamble, where's the "huge" bit? If NAMA failed to make any money whatsoever, and the government never activates the bank levy, it's worth about 2 years of current government deficit - and what, according to you, is the likelihood that it will fail to make any money at all?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

The Japanese sitaution is highly relevant as just like here, the government is intervening in the market. That is why it is a good indicator and only a fool would not look at what happened there when looking at what we are doing here. Of course it was not in the euro, it is in Asia. Nonetheless it had huge exports, like Ireland, we export 70% of what we produce and even with the second biggest economy in the world, its version of NAMA could be considered a failure. Obvioulsy we are not identical to Japan but by looking at what they did, and by refusing to let the natural processes of the market pan out, in hindsight it may not have been the best idea.

Other countries have had property bubbles that failed, but most let the market recover on its own and let the natural sanitising process of a bear market take place so a defined bottom can be reacehd, then start re-building from there. You can't change the primary thrend of a market. Sure look at the US, trillions of dollars of tax payers pumped into it and it looks like it may have been in vain as there is talk of a double dip coming that could make the initial crash look like a fairy tale.

My premise on it failing, as i have already said is that it is based on projected figures for the property market, based against huge bubble prices that may never happen. You can take it how you want but even our government have acknowledged there is risk involved in NAMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

when??

Never! :rolleyes:
    kippy wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm still not sure where I stand on NAMA, but I know for sure I cant come up with an alternative.
    However, one of this things that sicken me is the banks greed, both in the past, right now and now doubt into the future, while all of us pay for THEIR mistakes.
    Someone mentioned how AIB managed to make a profit of circa 3.5 billions last year before bad loans were taken into account. This bank is now about to offload the majority of those loans to NAMA. Its obvious to see that their day to day operations are making a fairly healthy profit. Could one ask then why they feel the need to raise their variable interest rates putting the squeeze on many people who may be pushing it tight to pay already?

This is the catch 22 and it isn't specific to NAMA. When the loans which are assets to the bank are taken of them, remember at a discount, it will leave a shortage of capital. Some of it will be filled by Recapitalisation, some by the banks increasing rates and charges.

The Tribune article I linked to, suggests NAMA will go back to the banks if some of the loans fail. Banks are already declaring massive bad debts, what do you think these are for?

The Japanese sitaution is highly relevant as just like here, the government is intervening in the market. That is why it is a good indicator and only a fool would not look at what happened there when looking at what we are doing here. Of course it was not in the euro, it is in Asia. Nonetheless it had huge exports, like Ireland, we export 70% of what we produce and even with the second biggest economy in the world, its version of NAMA could be considered a failure. Obvioulsy we are not identical to Japan but by looking at what they did, and by refusing to let the natural processes of the market pan out, in hindsight it may not have been the best idea.

Other countries have had property bubbles that failed, but most let the market recover on its own and let the natural sanitising process of a bear market take place so a defined bottom can be reacehd, then start re-building from there. You can't change the primary thrend of a market. Sure look at the US, trillions of dollars of tax payers pumped into it and it looks like it may have been in vain as there is talk of a double dip coming that could make the initial crash look like a fairy tale.

My premise on it failing, as i have already said is that it is based on projected figures for the property market, based against huge bubble prices that may never happen. You can take it how you want but even our government have acknowledged there is risk involved in NAMA.

There is huge risk in whatever situation they pursue. I suspect that if they went the Nationalisation route, everybody would be crying about how they should have went the bad bank route!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,524 ✭✭✭✭kippy

K-9 wrote: »

This is the catch 22 and it isn't specific to NAMA. When the loans which are assets to the bank are taken of them, remember at a discount, it will leave a shortage of capital. Some of it will be filled by Recapitalisation, some by the banks increasing rates and charges.

The bank made 3.5 billion profit from its day to day operations last year.........surely that kind of profit over a few years is enough to cover the discounted loans?
    I'm not too sure as to why NAMA taking the loans (most underperforming) will leave the banks with a lack of capital to be honest. If anything they should have a higher deposits/savings to loan ratio to work with once NAMA has taken over these loans.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

This is exactly the kind of rant about NAMA that entirely fails to impress me. There's not a single solid argument in there, just a couple of anecdotes and a lot of speculation interspersed with shouts of "it's all awful! look how bad the government are! it's all lies! lies! it'll never be better! we're doomed I tell you! DOOMED!".

See earlier posts regarding the tax clawback mechanism, EU oversight of valuation, non-performing loans, likely profitability of banks in a decade's time, etc. I can't be bothered writing it all out again for a post of this quality.

bored,
    Scofflaw

Yes I will rant becuase unlike you and your fellow NAMAers I do think the country is doomed.
    I am used to getting your type of response that I am a doomsayer.
    I got it quiet a lot between 2001 and 2007.
    Funny how my doomsaying was right that time.

If you think that betting our future by pouring billions into useless zombie institutions is good business sense then by God I wish I was your bookie for the Cheltenham festival.

You accuse me of offering nothing new, yet all you ever come out with, almost parrot like, in these threads are the same hackneyed lines that lenihan or the other NAMAers come out.
    NAMA will only make a loss if property values don't increase.
    We will have tax clawback, a levy of some sort on the banks.
    Would this be like the clawback we were going to get from BOI for our intitial recapitalisation.
    Oh wait we got 15% shares (due to EU/ECB rules) that dropped in value that very day.
    Hell we had invested more than the bank is actually worth on the stock exchange. :rolleyes:

I can't wait to see all the tax clawbacks we will be getting from Anglo. :rolleyes:

Property only needs to increase by 10%.
    Wasn't that first said last autumn and how much has it really dropped in the interveening period ?
    Thus we now need property to rise by about 15%.

And once again you come out with if developers fail to service their loans.
    It is not an if in lots of cases, it has already happened.

Then you accuse me of anectodal evidence.
    Is the value of the Ringsend site some story made up or has it not being valued at approx. 50 to 60 million ?
    How is it just anecdotal evidence that carrolls case was laughed out of court as bordering on the fanciful ?
    How is fleming's Sandyford site rotting half built for the last two years just anecdotal evidence that developers and their prime developments are bust.

Anyway I have better things to do than argue with people that appear to bed fellows of such notables as frank fahey and his ilk.

I am not allowed discuss …

kippy wrote: »
    The bank made 3.5 billion profit from its day to day operations last year.........surely that kind of profit over a few years is enough to cover the discounted loans?
    I'm not too sure as to why NAMA taking the loans (most underperforming) will leave the banks with a lack of capital to be honest. If anything they should have a higher deposits/savings to loan ratio to work with once NAMA has taken over these loans.

that 3.5bln profit was wiped out by writing down its toxic loan book

banks need certain type of capital to survive under international banking rules, namely equity which is the prime component of Tier 1 capital

as the banks write down the loans it wipes out the equity in the bank and this has to be replaced by new equity through the upcoming capital raise as it provides the bank with a buffer against future losses and also allows them to remain a reliable counterparty in the interbank market - the idea is for the profit in upcoming years to also be kept on the balance sheet rather than dividends be paid out

deposits can't be used as tier 1 capital as it can be withdrawn at the depositors will although it can fund lending alright

• Advertisement

Anyway I have better things to do than argue with people that appear to bed fellows of such notables as frank fahey and his ilk.

fair enough dude, i hope morgan kelly keeps you warm at night;)

Advertisement