Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N40 - Cork South Ring Bandon & Sarsfield Flyovers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Prowetod

There was a small piece about this in the Evening Echo today (pg5):

"Cork City Council has been granted €14.5million by the NRA to build the South Ring Road flyovers.
    The city council said it plans to be in a position to award the contract for the flyovers shortly and the 2011 allocation will enable work to begin on site"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Hi Folks,

I don't think the following is an April's Fool joke - I've dug up something (document dated 11/03/11) very interesting about speed limit orders for the N25 around the Sarsfield and Bandon Road Roundabouts - these limits are supposedly for 12 months!
    NOTICE OF MAKING OF ROAD WORKS SPEED LIMIT
    ORDER N25 SOUTH RING ROAD INTERCHANGES
    SECTION 10 ROAD TRAFFIC ACT 2004

In accordance with Section 10 of the Road Traffic Act 2004,
    Cork City Council hereby gives notice of making a Road Works
    Speed Limit Order in respect of N25 South Ring Road
    Interchanges in order to facilitate road works as follows:

• N25 Eastbound (Ballincollig Bypass — Bandon Road
    Roundabout)

A proposed 60km/h speed limit to apply from 790m West
    of Bandon Road Roundabout to an existing 60km/h speed
    limit at 246m West of Bandon Road Roundabout.

• N25 Eastbound (Bandon Road Roundabout — Sarsfield
    Road Roundabout)

A proposed 60km/h speed limit to apply from 253m East of
    Bandon Road Roundabout to an existing 50km/h speed
    limit at 255m West of Sarsfield Road Roundabout

• N25 Eastbound (Sarsfield Road Roundabout — Pouladuff
    Road Overbridge)

A proposed 60km/h speed limit to apply from 95m East of
    Sarsfield Road Roundabout to a proposed 100km/h speed
    limit at 1480m East of Sarsfield Road Roundabout

• N25 Westbound (Pouladuff Road Overbridge — Sarsfield
    Road Roundabout)

A proposed 60km/h speed limit to apply from 1480m East
    of Sarsfield Road Roundabout to an existing 50km/h speed
    limit at 280m East of Sarsfield Road Roundabout

• N25 Westbound (Sarsfield Road Roundabout — Bandon
    Road Roundabout)

A proposed 60km/h speed limit to apply from 110m West
    of Sarsfield Road Roundabout to an existing 50km/h speed
    limit at 280m East of Bandon Road Roundabout.

• N25 Westbound (Bandon Road Roundabout — Ballincollig
    Bypass)

A proposed 60km/h speed limit to apply from 196m West
    of Bandon Road Roundabout to a proposed 100km/h speed
    limit at 600m West of Bandon Road Roundabout.

The roadworks temporary speed limit shall apply for a period
    of 12 months from 1st April, 2011 to 31st March, 2012, and have
    the effect of reducing the current speed limit to 60km per hour.

Source (see page 370 - document starts at page 365)

Does this mean the N25 CSRR Upgrade contract has been signed, or that same is imminent? I don't know the actual above source myself - could someone verify this for the record. Again however, I'm pretty sure that this is no April's Fool joke. Let's hope we see a start this month!

Regards!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Does this mean the N25 CSRR Upgrade contract has been signed, or that same is imminent? I don't know the actual above source myself - could someone verify this for the record. Again however, I'm pretty sure that this is no April's Fool joke. Let's hope we see a start this month!

Regards!
    Can't for the life of me imagine why you think this might be a joke... :)
    There was never any doubt that this was starting this year. The speed limit orders above are merely confirmation of what we already knew!
    I'm very excited to see this getting underway. Totally essential for the neglected Cork region.

Waiting patiently for this to start! Any idea when we'll see a bit of action there? Are they going to be working on both at the same time or one at a time?

Slightly off topic but not worthy of a thread, what are peoples opinion of the new set of lights on sarsfields road (next to the funeral home), saw someone drive straight through a red light today. It will take a bit of time for people to notice that they are functioning. I hope it's not the case but I can see some serious delays at the junction at the top of sarsfields road at rush hour:(

• Registered Users Posts: 44 caeser

From what i know from a source, there has been a problem with the lowest tender (think its some part of the contract) and they have had to be eliminated from the process in the last couple of weeks. they will have to now look to the next lowest. So basically no start for the near future:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

caeser wrote: »
    From what i know from a source, there has been a problem with the lowest tender (think its some part of the contract) and they have had to be eliminated from the process in the last couple of weeks. they will have to now look to the next lowest. So basically no start for the near future:(

Interesting, so what about the 'Road Works Speed Limit Order in respect of N25 South Ring Road' 60KmPH effective since 01/04/2011 'til 31/03/2012.
    Me thinks it could be a serious revenue collector / points deliverer / quota satisfier possibility for those in need .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Interesting, so what about the 'Road Works Speed Limit Order in respect of N25 South Ring Road' 60KmPH effective since 01/04/2011 'til 31/03/2012.
    Me thinks it could be a serious revenue collector / points deliverer / quota satisfier possibility for those in need .

Needs the signs changed first. Effective speed limit for fining is the higher of the signs or the speed limit order, not the lower.

Any updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

eoccork wrote: »
    Any updates?

I wish :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

So much for it starting last December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 audab

I think you can forget about seeing this for a while. As caeser said, the lowest tender has been rejected and the Council has moved on to the second lowest. Whoever gets the contract, you can expect at least one objection to the award. Nothing can proceed until the objection is dealt with. This contract is going nowhere fast, a bit like the traffic on the roundabouts...

I think "Construction Imminent" should be removed from this thread title :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

audab wrote: »
    I think you can forget about seeing this for a while. As caeser said, the lowest tender has been rejected and the Council has moved on to the second lowest. Whoever gets the contract, you can expect at least one objection to the award. Nothing can proceed until the objection is dealt with. This contract is going nowhere fast, a bit like the traffic on the roundabouts...

apparently, the traffic volumes are down and some in the Co. co. are questioning the need to complete the job. Apparently, there are other uses for the money.

blindsider wrote: »
    apparently, the traffic volumes are down and some in the Co. co. are questioning the need to complete the job. Apparently, there are other uses for the money.

These lads in the county council obviously don't travel that road very much.
    It was backed up from bandon to Sarsfield Friday afternoon on my way home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

It's a good thing that the NRA are in charge of this road, rather than some yahoos on the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This is typical of politicians in this country and why they shouldn't be left anywhere near infrastructural projects. Do they expect the traffic volumes to remain down forever? Wouldn't now the ideal time to do these projects....less traffic to disrupt....lower construction costs. But no, politicians can't plan beyond the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

audab wrote: »

Apparently these issues have now been resolved. I've been told that we can expect work to start soon-ish - but my source had no dates. I asked if a month or two would be realistic and she said 'maybe' - but I think she doesn't really know.

I hav'nt got the exact date but i have it on good authority that this project is going to start in the next 4-6 weeks. Finally:D

caeser wrote: »
    I hav'nt got the exact date but i have it on good authority that this project is going to start in the next 4-6 weeks. Finally:D

Nice!
    I'll believe it when I see it though :-)

Good. I'll be living in the Cork area by then and will be happy to document the construction with my camera :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Tremelo wrote: »
    Good. I'll be living in the Cork area by then and will be happy to document the construction with my camera :D

Oh you're moving back to Cork Tremelo? Great, you can be our roving reporter!

Moving back for three months initially anyway. Just found accommodation yesterday very close to the Bandon Roundabout as it happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Was that deliberate :D

Just a happy coincidence actually! It'll be good to see these two blockages released. Like i said, I'll only be there for three months and I doubt they'll have a huge amount done within that timeframe. But we'll see *heads off to charge camera*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Going to be some major disruption during the building process.

How many months of a build are we talking ?

6 or 7 months ?

Going to be some major disruption during the building process.

How many months of a build are we talking ?

6 or 7 months ?

Fairly sure its going to be at least an 18 month construction period. Probably more.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

This is on the front page of the echo today.

Contract signed this morning, start of constuction is before end of summer, 18-24 months completion.

It will be built by SIAC construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

It is expected that construction will start before the end of the summer and take about two years to complete.[/B] Engineers believe that the flyovers, including the one already built at the Kinsale Road junction, could cut motorists’ peak-time journeys by up to 30 minutes.

Two years? Really? We built a Motorway Balinasloe-Galway and several longer stretches (including full access junctions and roundabouts) in less time

If i got up myself and started building it now, id probably finish earlier. I know Im no civil engineer, but im no idiot either. That just looks like complete waste paying someone to work for 2 years. I know the junctions are needed, but jesus lads, hire a few Chiinese or something. The money aint there to p1ss about

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Galway-Ballinastoe was an offline build though. It's much faster as you don't have to try to keep bits of the road open while you work on it. The M50 upgrade by contrast took 3 years to complete. 2 years for two junctions seems quite excessive though, I'm sure they must be applying the Ryanair school of deadline management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Heading towards Dunkettle from the tunnel side is going to be mental when these two roundabouts are done.

Advertisement