Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cinema-Is there a Gospel message?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

prinz wrote: »
    If that's how you feel the good for you. I am sure there are plenty of fora where you could go and expand on that.. but well done for pointing that out, I am sure none of us would ever have considered such a complicated possibility without your input.

Touchy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

doctoremma wrote: »
    M'eh, I'll hazard a guess that there's very few people on t'interweb discussing the christian message in Gran Torino, just because someone makes peace with a priest.

Nobody claimed there was a Christian message in GT because he made peace with the priest.. that was another issue where it was claimed the film was anti-Church throughout. Quite obviously it isn't.
    Touchy :(

Not touchy. Not stupid either which is what that type of post tends to imply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Not stupid either which is what that type of post tends to imply.

Eh? Where did I say that?

Am I to understand that this thread is dedicated to finding bits of films that seem to encourage people to love and share and attributing these features as somehow being a gospel message? Apparently, it seems all the more convincing if there is a priest in a film?
    ..simply because I pointed out that finding very poignant and touchingly human films or clips thereof in no way indicates the portrayal of a gospel message..

Implied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

yet again another Christian thread has become infected.:rolleyes::p

Your coming at us with your belief Doctor emma, we are looking for the message of Jesus in films that we see. Christians believe the holy spirit works through all, whether they be Christian or not, and we look for what the Holy Spirit has to say to us through these films, we scrape the mould off ( the stuff that comes from bad spirit ) and we eat the cheese ( what comes from the Holy Spirit) but in order for you to believe in that you must have faith, which is something you obviously dont have.

So why your in this thread is beyond me. :confused:

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Implied.

More incredulous. I don't think any of you are stupid. I think the topic is stupid. You could find any message you wanted in any film if you looked hard enough, religious, political, whatever. It strikes me that there might be some "bagsies" going on.

Me, I think the best suggestion for a film with a godly message so far on this thread is No Country For Old Men. A perfect portrayal of an implacable, neutral, couldn't-care-less force-of-will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

The Greatest Story Ever Told has a gospel message hidden in there somewhere, it's pretty subtle but if you really look into it, it can be seen.

More incredulous. I don't think any of you are stupid. I think the topic is stupid...

Yet you still felt compelled to post on it.
    You could find any message you wanted in any film if you looked hard enough, religious, political, whatever.

Indeed you could. There is a whole industy involved in it, but I doubt the hundreds of authors of works on this issue really need you to inform them that they are hijacking directors for example. The thread is a place for Christians to discuss movies in the light of the Christian message. Nothing more, nothing less.

It does not mean anyone here is trying to stake a claim, or "bagsies" as you put it, assuming that is just intellectual arrogance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Anyone ever see a film starring Richard Dreyfus called "Mr Holland's Opus"? It is the story of a music teacher who believes he has a great symphony to unleash upon the musical world. However, he never quite finishes it, getting bogged down with looking after his students and caring for a deaf son.

In the end he sees the influence he has had on generations of students and realises that they are his real 'opus'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

PDN wrote: »
    Anyone ever see a film starring Richard Dreyfus called "Mr Holland's Opus"? It is the story of a music teacher who believes he has a great symphony to unleash upon the musical world. However, he never quite finishes it, getting bogged down with looking after his students and caring for a deaf son.

In the end he sees the influence he has had on generations of students and realises that they are his real 'opus'.

never saw it, but will put it on my list to see.

Pax Christi
    Stephen<3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Sheesh. Talk about a spoiler!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Aside from Jaws is Dreyfus's career best performance imo. Dont really see where the gospel message is though

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I suppose "Chariots of Fire" would have to be on the list - we even get a sermon or two thrown in

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

strobe wrote: »
    The Greatest Story Ever Told has a gospel message hidden in there somewhere, it's pretty subtle but if you really look into it, it can be seen.

..the film where John Wayne only had one line, and he couldnt deliver that very well!

The story goes that direct George Stevens gave him 3 goes at his line "Truely, this was the Son of God" and then got annoyed - "You are talking about the Son of God here. You've got to deliver the line with a little more awe"

Cameras roll and Wayne looks up at the cross - "Aaaaaw, truely this was the Son of God"

:D

homer911 wrote: »
    ..the film where John Wayne only had one line, and he couldnt deliver that very well!

Like hell he didn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

krudler wrote: »
    Aside from Jaws is Dreyfus's career best performance imo. Dont really see where the gospel message is though

It's about how true greatness is not found in fame or fortune, but rather in serving and empowering others. That, for those of us who follow a Saviour who came to serve rather than to be served, is at the heart of the Gospel message.

Anyone ever see a film starring Richard Dreyfus called "Mr Holland's Opus"?

+1 Great film. I remember watching it one night into the small hours because as usual with RTE they put their best entertainment on at all hours of the night after hours of crap (but that's another issue).

krudler wrote: »
    Dont really see where the gospel message is though

You're not supposed to... it's subliminal brainwashing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

JimiTime wrote: »
    Sheesh. Talk about a spoiler!:)

And then the boat sinks...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Shawshank Redemption, although it can easily be interpreted as being anti church as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

May be a bit obvious but you haven't seen it then the Book of Eli is worth a watch. It looks as religion not so much as the problem itself but as a tool that can be used for both good and bad intentions.

Advertisement