Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst Purchase During Boom Award

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

gurramok wrote: »

In this context, I did laugh at people(who I did not know) queueing up to purchase apts at 300k+ in '05/'06 in non-posh areas taking on 35yr mortgages as deep down I thought they were indeed lunatics. :)

posh area or not, 05/06 or not, 300k or not anybody that buys / bought (sorry took out a long term lease) on an apartment in a lunatic in my book ;) but Im not going to start a thread to laugh at them either :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

D3PO wrote: »
    Rather than pour scorn on other house purchasers you need to ask yourself why so called family and friends humiliated you back during the boom.

I don't need to ask myself that question cause I already know the answer: hubris, stupidity and bubblethink. They didn't do it because they were evil, they did it because they didn't spot the bubble and couldn't see how much it was warping their minds and actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Highly Salami

posh area or not, 05/06 or not, 300k or not anybody that buys / bought (sorry took out a long term lease) on an apartment in a lunatic in my book ;) but Im not going to start a thread to laugh at them either :)

why? whats wrong with buying an appartment (at a reasonable price)?

I don't need to ask myself that question cause I already know the answer: hubris, stupidity and bubblethink. They didn't do it because they were evil, they did it because they didn't spot the bubble and couldn't see how much it was warping their minds and actions.

Perhaps. I mean I had / have friends that didnt buy, that were renting and family members aswell. I never once considered commenting or forcing my opinion on them though, or making them feel silly for not purchasing. Im not insunuating they were evil but they were I would suggest at the very least they were patronising.

why? whats wrong with buying an appartment (at a reasonable price)?

theres nothing wrong per say. Everybody makes their own lifestyle choices. I personally wouldnt be able to put up with apartment living so therfore apartment owners are lunatics ;):p

Seriously though I think if you did a poll of people living in apartments and asked them if they would rather live in an apartment or house you would find most would vote house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

This thread is tasteless and Im really surprised the Mods havent locked it.

I don't agree.

It seems we had two schools of thought during the boom.
    Those who thought it was a good time to buy and those who though it wasn't.
    So for years the majority preached about how much their house was 'worth' and how much it had increased in value.
    That kind boast sickens me to my stomach.

So if things were talked up on the way up then why not talk them down on the way down?

On a related note I was recently in Australia and read in a paper that people need not fear as house prices were set for 10 - 12% increases that year in Sydney. It was lauded as a great thing.

So now I'm glad here it's fully exposed for what it was.

mathie wrote: »
    I don't agree.

It seems we had two schools of thought during the boom.
    Those who thought it was a good time to buy and those who though it wasn't.
    So for years the majority preached about how much their house was as.

I would say there were 3 categories. The 2 you mentioned plus the those who thought it was good to buy but couldnt afford to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

I would say there were 3 categories. The 2 you mentioned plus the those who thought it was good to buy but couldnt afford to.

4. Sickened to the core
    5. bullied by family and friends for not buying.

mathie wrote: »
    I don't agree.

So for years the majority preached about how much their house was 'worth' and how much it had increased in value.
    That kind boast sickens me to my stomach.

So if things were talked up on the way up then why not talk them down on the way down?

Fair point I always found the my house is worth X thing stupid to be honest. I didnt give a rats ass what my house was "worth" during the boom and honestly dont give a rats ass now either despite bieng in neg equity. This only matters if you are going to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Tasteless thread!
    I didnt buy at the top , but it seems some people on this site have nothing better to do then make fun of other peoples misfortune!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭ocokev

My neighbour had no difficulity flashing his cash BMW X5 etc during the good times. Looking down on me in my 7 year old golf, bullying people off the road. Big parties and bbqs for all his friends, pool table 50" plasma and he reminded everyone that he had 3 holidays every year. Now he lives with his parents, drives their old peougeot and has nothing to do all day.
    Should i feel sorry for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭waffleman

The only people I have sympathy for are people who started families during the boom and wanted the stability of owning their own home as opposed to renting. They paid over the odds and are now suffering.

However I know of many people who took 100% mortgage after 100% mortgage on properties planning to rent out for a few years then sell on to some other mug for a profit. I also know of people who bought houses to live in while building their dream house somewhere else (once again to sell for profit) and are now stuck with 2 mortgages. The attitude was "sure everyone's doing it - ye have to be in to win".

Well they were in alright and they lost big time. Greed pure and simple. I don't like to see families lose their homes but I do like seeing certain people who preached to others and got well above their station cut down to size.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I notice from these & other similar threads that either a load of people are:

a) very poor at choosing friends, & assoicate with people who'd be crass enough to arrogantly boast about their wealth or,
    b) are jellous & bitter people.

If your friend had bought at the height of the market, and was now suffering with horrendous debts, or has lost their job, you should feel sorry for them - they're your friend.

If you revel in a neighbours angst because they "lorded it over you" before - then you are no better than them; you are the very same as them. Thats hardly something to be proud of, is it?

So kudos, you're as much of a dick as they are.

ocokev wrote: »
    My neighbour had no difficulity flashing his cash BMW X5 etc during the good times. Looking down on me in my 7 year old golf, bullying people off the road. Big parties and bbqs for all his friends, pool table 50" plasma and he reminded everyone that he had 3 holidays every year. Now he lives with his parents, drives their old peougeot and has nothing to do all day.

You sure showed him.....:rolleyes:

Theres a difference between living beyond their means and buying during the bubble in fairness. Do I have sympathy for him ? No do I feel the need to poke fun at him ? No

Launghing at others misfortune no matter in what context isnt right.

Zulu wrote: »
    I notice from these & other similar threads that either a load of people are:

a) very poor at choosing friends, & assoicate with people who'd be crass enough to arrogantly boast about their wealth or,
    b) are jellous & bitter people.

If your friend had bought at the height of the market, and was now suffering with horrendous debts, or has lost their job, you should feel sorry for them - they're your friend.

If you revel in a neighbours angst because they "lorded it over you" before - then you are no better than them; you are the very same as them. Thats hardly something to be proud of, is it?

So kudos, you're as much of a dick as they are.

Wrong. If I went up to them and said "You know that advice you were giving me about buying into the boom - well you look like a bit of a twat now don't you" then your last statement above would be true. I doubt anyone on this thread has done this. So keep your dick comments to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ZYX

waffleman wrote: »
    Wrong. If I went up to them and said "You know that advice you were giving me about buying into the boom - well you like a bit of a twat now don't you" then your last statement above would be true. I doubt anyone on this thread has done this. So keep your dick comments to yourself.

Ah, so he said you were a twat for not buying during the boom. Well you didn't say that. Obviously if he didn't call you a twat for not buying then Zulus comment makes sense to me.

Wrong. If I went up to them and said "You know that advice you were giving me about buying into the boom - well you look like a bit of a twat now don't you" then your last statement above would be true. I doubt anyone on this thread has done this. So keep your dick comments to yourself.
    I understand this may be hard for you to understand, but posting on this thread to that effect is pretty much the same as saying it to their face.

Publically (or privately for that matter) revelling in someone else’s misfortune doesn't a sound person make.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Quick - somebody call Joe Duffy or Matt Cooper - we've found a new perspective on the economic meltdown - boards.ie contributors are the new "Think Tank" we've been looking for to move our economy forward. This thread is chock full of comments I've never even heard before - it's like a magical thread from one of Homer Simpsons dream sequences. Somebody patent these ideas quickly - you'll make a fortune out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

I have heard of a family who sold a very nice house at the back of ucd for aound 5.5 mill in 2007, they new the boom was turnign to bust and said "ah suree well put in the bank" by which they ment ango stock! Every last perry of it! That is just pure greed!

• Advertisement

Theres a difference between living beyond their means and buying during the bubble in fairness. Do I have sympathy for him ? No do I feel the need to poke fun at him ? No

Launghing at others misfortune no matter in what context isnt right.

Im not laughing at him nor do i feel sorry for him.
    And in fact i know if there was a boom tomorrow he would be driving a BMW x5 etc etc.

And in fact i know if there was a boom tomorrow he would be driving a BMW x5 etc etc.
    You mean he'd be employed again and may wish to spend his money on a car? Thats a crime is it? Or something to be ashamed of? :confused:

I understand this may be hard for you to understand, but posting on this thread to that effect is pretty much the same as saying it to their face.

Publically (or privately for that matter) revelling in someone else’s misfortune doesn't a sound person make.

I seriously doubt it but if the person who stated their opinion to me during the boom reads this thread and knows who I am then ok I concede I'm "as much of a dick as they are".

I havent stated my opinion back to them - so I didn't like this comment.

You mean he'd be employed again and may wish to spend his money on a car? Thats a crime is it? Or something to be ashamed of? :confused:

NExt thing you know he will be having BBQ's and his mates round...jumped up prick that he is.

No, having a car is not a crime.

Having a 80,000 euro car loan and thinking your better than all your neighbours is not a crime either.

Not learning something from mistakes you make is plain stupid.

I havent stated my opinion back to them...
    It's the sentiment...
    Jaysoose wrote: »
    NExt thing you know he will be having BBQ's and his mates round...jumped up prick that he is.
    BBQ?!? What a wanker. It's far from BBQ's he was raised; he should be eating half cooked rotten potatoes.

No, having a car is not a crime.

Having a 80,000 euro car loan and thinking your better than all your neighbours is not a crime either.

Not learning something from mistakes you make is plain stupid.

Wonder is there a guy starting a thread about his neighbour that has an inferiority complex and was always throwing daggers when he had his mates round to watch his massive telly.

Jaysoose wrote: »
    Wonder is there a guy starting a thread about his neighbour that has an inferiority complex and was always throwing daggers when he had his mates round to watch his massive telly.

Its simple really. Example. He earned 500 a week, but spent 600 a week so he could let on he was on 700 a week, and at the same time brag about it.

What, where you sleeping with him or something? You seem to have intimate knowledge of his finances.

• Advertisement

Its simple really. Example. He earned 500 a week, but spent 600 a week so he could let on he was on 700 a week, and at the same time brag about it.

And this upset you why?. i personally couldnt give a monkeys what my neighbours earned or spent and i certainly wouldnt develop a complex about it.

Advertisement